Home
Posted By: RockyRaab Dangerous Gin - 07/30/22
I've been trying a few different kinds of gin lately. Just finished a glass of Plymouth on ice. This stuff is dangerous. It's like sipping ice water.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/30/22
I'm glad you like it.
Wish you the best.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/30/22
The Naval Strength? Tried it a couple years ago. Wasn’t horrible but not to my tastes. It’ll get you where you’re going though lol
Posted By: huntinaz Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/30/22
Vesper

Such a great summer drink. Also dangerous. So refreshing with a good clean vodka. I like Chopin. Lillet Blanc is the ticket, though I haven’t tried it with dry vermouth. But the Lillet is part of the essence of what it’s supposed to be.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/30/22
Uh oh 😁
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/30/22
In all my years I could not drink gin. Yuck...
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/30/22
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I've been trying a few different kinds of gin lately. Just finished a glass of Plymouth on ice. This stuff is dangerous. It's like sipping ice water.

UR gonna miss the T Time tomorrow
Posted By: 673 Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/30/22
Panty remover.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/30/22
Even Spencer says

'This is the Place'

https://www.yelp.com/biz/andys-liquor-mart-grand-junction
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/30/22
No tee time until Monday. But I may be asleep a bit early tonight. On my "halfa" now. Meaning half a glass. Can still type, though, LOL!
Posted By: smokepole Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/30/22

Won't be long until you're posting fuzzy screenshots and connecting all the dots.....
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/30/22
No tee time until Monday. But I may be asleep a bit early tonight. On my "halfa" now. Meaning half a glass. Can still type, though, LOL!

But….are you checking your spelling?😁
Posted By: richj Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/30/22
I'm not a gin-er

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: EdM Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/30/22

I have never had it. A proper martini gin?
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/30/22
It will sneak up on you
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/30/22
Rocky, you drinking gin straight over ic3?
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/30/22
I like gin and Plymouth is pretty good for sure.

Hendricks is very good too but I just can’t justify the price

Every time I experiment I’m usually disappointed and go right back to beefeater
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/30/22
Some of my favorite alcoholics are gin drinkers.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/30/22
Originally Posted by SCgman1

Most of them are dead now, but they were all hoots and drank gin.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/30/22
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Rocky, you drinking gin straight over ic3?

Whyte Laydie (out of a Missoula distillery) is amazing on the rocks Hazen.
Posted By: kendibs Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/30/22
I've been drinking gin martinis for just over 50 years now. Not an expert, but I got the idea.

May I recommend a few: Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray 10, Hendricks, Beefeater, Boodles.

Mix 'em very dry (dash of vermouth or in and out) and serve in a chilled (from freezer) typical martini glass.

Be careful.

-Ken
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/30/22
I had tonight's plain, over ice, to get a feel for the flavor. I enjoy gin in a myriad of ways (note that I can still type "myriad") from straight to all kinds of mixers.

BTW, the "dry" martini was not so named because of how much vermouth is added but what kind of vermouth. The ORIGINAL martini was gin and sweet vermouth. It was only when some unknown person tried dry vermouth that the "dry martini" was born. If you have not tried one with a good sweet vermouth (such as Cinzano) you have not truly had a martini. Mix it anywhere from 1/4 to 1/8 and enjoy. Do not even mention the abomination of a "vodka martini".

I like gin with a dash of traditional bitters, or orange bitters, or "dirty" with olive or onion juice, or just straight. Gin Rickeys, G&Ts...

I have tried and enjoyed Gordon's, Beefeaters, Aviator, Hendrick's, Bombay, Tanqueray, and now Plymouth. I don't care for the highly botanical/floral ones like Bombay Sapphire.
Posted By: mathman Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/30/22
I favor Beefeater and also enjoy Boodles and regular Bombay.

Hendricks tastes too much of cucumber, not my favorite thing, and it smells of my grandmother's old hand lotion.
Posted By: Sprint11 Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/31/22
I enjoy a "dirty" gin & tonic. Also Sloe gin fizz made with Plymouth's.

Flame away.
Originally Posted by mathman

Hendricks tastes too much of cucumber, not my favorite thing, and it smells of my grandmother's old hand lotion.

Hendricks is supposed to be garnished with cucumber. That's it's botanical profile.
Posted By: mathman Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/31/22
Originally Posted by Sprint11

Hendricks is supposed to be garnished with cucumber. That's it's botanical profile.

That's why I don't care for it.
Posted By: huntinaz Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/31/22
Whatever is going on in Bombay Sapphire, I am not a fan

I do like Hendricks
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/31/22

Most of them are dead now, but they were all hoots and drank gin.

Bet you are great company
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/31/22
I love Gin, which may not be a good thing….

Was on Bombay Saphire for a while, my go-to now is Citadelle.

A slosh of olive brine, wave the dry Vermouth over the top of the shaker, appropriate amount of Gin, ice, shake until ice forms on the outside of the metal cocktail shaker, strain into a Martini glass with 2 martini olives………..Nirvana.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/31/22
Crazy Juice .... I love it.

Sometimes if it wasn't for the olives ....I'd starve.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/31/22
I can’t for the life of me remember ever drinking gin straight? What does it taste like?
Did have a martini once while waiting for a flight at the airport, it surprised me how good it tasted.
Going to have to spring for a bottle of Beefeaters and do some experimenting.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/31/22
I love a gin and tonic with a wedge of lime.

I like Seagrams. The blacks Down South call Seagrams "Knotty Head" due to the bumps on the bottle.
Originally Posted by Sprint11

That's why I don't care for it.

Neither do I,. Just find all the different recipes for the spirit itself pretty intriguing.
Posted By: rufous Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/31/22
I like Gin too. Typically have been using Seagrams as a Gin and Tonic with Nellie and Joe's Key Lime Juice. I also really Tanqueray and Hendricks but was sure fond of Round Barn Distillery's 269 Gin. I made wine for them in Michigan. Their gin and vodka were quite good.
Posted By: EdM Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/31/22
For a "daily" drink Gordon's is hard to beat.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/31/22
Agree with Edm. Gordon’s. Monopolva was badass till it quit being cheap.
Posted By: shootem Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/31/22
The last time I drank gin I promised God if he would get me over it I’d get over the next time by myself. That next time has never come. Something around 35 years ago now.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/31/22
Damn Rocky! Thanks! Thats all I needed to hear. 🤣Been drinking a lot of G&T’s in this summers heat.
Originally Posted by EdM
For a "daily" drink Gordon's is hard to beat.

Been using Gilbeys. I know, the horror of it! 😁
Posted By: GAGoober Re: Dangerous Gin - 07/31/22
Tanqueray on the rocks.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Agree with Edm. Gordon’s. Monopolva was badass till it quit being cheap.

Monopolova is kosher!!! 😉
Posted By: kendibs Re: Dangerous Gin - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by cisco1
Crazy Juice .... I love it.

Sometimes if it wasn't for the olives ....I'd starve.

Some call the xtra dry gin martini "The Silver Bullet".

-Ken
Posted By: Pugs Re: Dangerous Gin - 08/01/22
Sipsmiths London Dry Gin, Fever Tree Elderflower Tonic Water, ice and a slice of lime and a slice of orange.

My summer antimalarial medication.

https://sipsmith.com/us/product/london-dry-gin/
Posted By: buddy Re: Dangerous Gin - 08/01/22
What is the tonic of choice,,ty
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: Dangerous Gin - 08/01/22
I tried Aviation gin once. Apparently it is made by gay monks for gay monks. It's freakin watered down vodka.

I'll stick to my Bombay Sapphire thank you very much.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Dangerous Gin - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by buddy
What is the tonic of choice,,ty

For a neutral Gin - https://fever-tree.com/en_US/products/elderflower-tonic-water

For gin with more aromatics - https://fever-tree.com/en_US/products/mediterranean-tonic-water

For Hendricks - https://fever-tree.com/en_US/products/refreshing-light-cucumber-tonic-water

There are lots of other quality tonics out there to try but it's a key ingredient so premium is worth the $.
Posted By: Marshgrass Re: Dangerous Gin - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I love a gin and tonic with a wedge of lime.

I like Seagrams. The blacks Down South call Seagrams "Knotty Head" due to the bumps on the bottle.

We called Seagrams either "Bump" or or "Pebble". Field hands (black, white, or mexican) came in the store and all they ask for is "Give me a half bump" for a half pint or "give me a some Bump" for a full pint. I never recall any of them buying a quart or a half gallon.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Dangerous Gin - 08/01/22
For everyday, Costco cheap stuff is not bad. I have at least a half dozen choices on hand for fancier. A couple AK distilleries, too.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Dangerous Gin - 08/01/22
Bombay Sapphire
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Dangerous Gin - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Damn Rocky! Thanks! Thats all I needed to hear. 🤣Been drinking a lot of G&T’s in this summers heat.

I love a good G&T on a hot summer day after I've cut my "lawn." Truly refreshing!

I always thought straight gin tastes like celery, but mathman's reference to cucumber may be more accurate. I'll have to reassess.
Posted By: mathman Re: Dangerous Gin - 08/01/22
The cucumber reference was specific to Hendricks.
Posted By: champlain_islander Re: Dangerous Gin - 08/01/22
I did a blind taste test on gin and tonic with schweppes tonic water. I used Bombay Sapphire, Tanguerey, and Beefeater. I was surprised that I liked the Beefeater the best which was the cheapest. Hendricks with Tonic water and a slice or two of cucumber is really a nice summer drink.
Posted By: org_Rogue_Hunter Re: Dangerous Gin - 08/01/22
Someone recommended Old Raj--infused with Saffron. Not being a connoisseur of gin, didn't really know the difference. I mean, it wasn't bad. I noticed no one recommended it, here, so...

It was recommended i try Plymouth, Navy Strength...might buy a bottle of Beefeaters, also.

Fever Tree is pretty good.
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: Dangerous Gin - 08/02/22
Gin ? Another “you’ll be sorry” drink .
Slow gin , nasty shirt to be puking , you don’t only feel like you’re dieing , you look like you’re dieing
Once upon a time I worked in a factory .
Me and this gal went out for lunch . She got a pint and I got a pint , one mint gin , one slow gin .
She putzed out after a couple drinks and went back in before back to work horn went off .
Well WTH ? I drank them both , got back in there in the heat and shirt hit me hard . Bathrooms were elevated islands throughout the plant .
I go in the shutter and have set down trying to recoup .
Wrong song ding dong .
Woke up and it was quiet as a Monday morning church .
Holy shirt ! Dashed out the door , not a soul in sight .
Beat feet to checkout clock , no idea what time it is and there was the last three guys checking out .
Man was that luck .
Gal asked me were I got too , we had a good laugh , she said foreman kept coming by wanting to know were I was , she kept telling him B.S. about me going to different departments for parts .
Dam close
Kenneth
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Dangerous Gin - 08/02/22
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Gin ? Another “you’ll be sorry” drink .
Slow gin , nasty shirt to be puking , you don’t only feel like you’re dieing , you look like you’re dieing
Once upon a time I worked in a factory .
Me and this gal went out for lunch . She got a pint and I got a pint , one mint gin , one slow gin .
She putzed out after a couple drinks and went back in before back to work horn went off .
Well WTH ? I drank them both , got back in there in the heat and shirt hit me hard . Bathrooms were elevated islands throughout the plant .
I go in the shutter and have set down trying to recoup .
Wrong song ding dong .
Woke up and it was quiet as a Monday morning church .
Holy shirt ! Dashed out the door , not a soul in sight .
Beat feet to checkout clock , no idea what time it is and there was the last three guys checking out .
Man was that luck .
Gal asked me were I got too , we had a good laugh , she said foreman kept coming by wanting to know were I was , she kept telling him B.S. about me going to different departments for parts .
Dam close
Kenneth

Sloe gin and gin are different critters fwiw

That’s what I love about gin that I have not experienced with anything else. I can drink a fifth a day on ice and tonic sweating my ass off as the day goes cutting firewood or whatever. A good big swig of pickle juice before bed and I’m right as rain next day. Claws come close, but not as friendly.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Dangerous Gin - 08/02/22
A good g&t tastes like you just sipped on a juniper. No citrus, no ridiculous herbalness, Cucumbers and pumpkin spice etc.
Posted By: m1919 Re: Dangerous Gin - 08/02/22

It's one of the best in my opinion

I've tried all sorts of boutique Gins and not found a single one I like.

Plymouth, Beefeater, Costco house brand, Sapphire

In that order
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: Dangerous Gin - 08/02/22
Gruff , you may be right , can’t say I’ve had this gin you speak of .
Maybe I’ll give it a spin sometime.
Right now , got plenty of peach and pear .
No need to change up right now .
Kenneth
© 24hourcampfire