Home
I was reading a lot of comments about being happy in life and several mentioned missing their dad. I lost mine on Veterans Day 2007. My mom passed away suddenly in 2004. I spent almost every day with my dad after that happened. I booked a mule deer & antelope hunt for my dad & I out west. We hunted mule deer with an outfitter in Craig Colorado. Dad got a dandy buck on the 3rd. day and then it was off to Wyoming for antelope. Dad missed a few but got a small buck later on the first day. We headed for home November 1st. and made it back on the 3rd. On November 7th., dad was hauling firewood to his woodbox next to his fireplace when he tripped & fell striking his head on the piece of firewood he was holding. Long story short, he developed a brain bleed, had surgery, but never woke up afterward. Hard to believe that after we got home from a once in a lifetime hunting trip, he was gone, eight days shy of his 80th. birthday. I think of him & mom every day.
Everyday.

đŸŠ«
Count me in, Mom too
Since 1976.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Everyday.
Me too.
Everyday.
dave
Mine is going to be here in 17 mins to run me down to the Firestone to pick up one of the crown vics.

Hope he’s running late. I got sweet corn diarrhea. Holy fugk
Dad in 2002. Mom in 2004. Only brother in 2021. Miss my parents everyday in some way or another.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by slumlord
Mine is going to be here in 17 mins to run me down to the Firestone to pick up one of the crown vics.

Forty+ years ago I used to mix a can of whatever chili was on sale with a can of corn and have "chili corn". Ate both cans worth in one sitting. Talk about eat now, pay later.
Not I.
Not me
To the original question, yes, I do miss Pop. I have no trouble at all imagining what his attitude would be toward the current political situation.
Most certainly miss both of my parents.
I miss dad a lot. He drug me to the river several times a week to go fishing, and hunting and checking traps.
He died at 70 yrs of a heart attack while showing me how to use his old cross country skis he used as a winter-keeper in Yellowstone Park. That was tough to take!!
Dad passed Dec. 10, 1996 from the affects of Lou Gehrigs Disease. He was the best. Love and miss you Dad.
Yes, passed 06/09/22. RIP Pop. Put his ashes in a local stream he liked to fish.
My wishes are for my ashes to be put in the same.
Yes. My dad died in 1965 at the age of 65, of a stroke. My mom at 72 in 1981. I still miss them both. They were fine parents.

L.W.
My Dad died 15 yrs ago. Dad you were the best!!!!!!!!!!!! Love You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dads been gone for 2.5 years now. I dont think he would have handled the Covid lock down very well. He sure as hell would not be pleased with the current cost of reloading supplies. Dad shot a lot. Someday will spread his ashes at the local gun club were he spent most of his time

Would love to take him elk hunting just one more time
No
Since April 21, 1992.
Every day.

I’ve posted this pic plenty. 2015, his last and best bull, at 77 years old.

We lost him in January of ‘20 but that was just the final goodbye. Parkinson’s really started taking its toll in 2017.

P
Originally Posted by dale06
Since April 21, 1992.

One week before the Rodney King Riots in LA
Every Day since Oct. 2019! He was 2 weeks shy of his 97th birthday. Was still deer hunting at 95.
I do. He passed 34 years ago. He had his flaws (we all do), had a fiery temper, but deep inside his very rough exterior he cared. Cared for his family and his friends and neighbors.

Introduced me to hunting and shooting at a very early age. After all of these years, when I'm afield, I feel he is watching over me.
I miss my parents so very much. They’ve been gone decades now. Think of them every day

Best parents that ever lived.
My dad passed on the 3rd of this month, I'm going to miss him bitching at me every day, He lived here with me for the last 15 yrs. I miss his ornery ass.

My Mom with my grandson a year before she passed 8 years ago.

I am really glad for people who had good parents.
Dad died back in 94 of leukemia. Hardest working man I’ve ever known. He was only 63.
“Miss” isn’t a big enough word.

Osky
Both parents gone a long while now and I miss them very much.
My dad was a salty old Korean War vet that was the toughest, hardest working, most decent, honest man I have ever known. Dad was unselfish and placed his family above him and his needs/wants every time. Dad was the best role model and life lessons were taught not so much with words but more so by the way he lived. Dad passed November 30, 2020 from Dementia and Parkinson's and it was a rough last year for him. Miss him every day.
It is a cliché.... but you don't miss someone/something 'til they/it is gone.
Yep
Miss him every day.

Every day I perform some task, or use some thought process that he taught me.

We had our differences, even broke apart and I didn't speak with him for 13 years but we reconciled and those last nine years were great.

I'll see him again.

Ed
Yep, miss him every day. He was was my hunting partner. Hunting and camping won’t be the same without him. Been gone since May of 2021. He was 86.
Was lucky enough to have good parents. I miss them very much.
Saw mine once, don’t miss him, mother died when I was 16. I do miss her a lot
Lost my Dad June 4th of this year at 425 AM. I was holding his hand as he took his last breath. I will be honest and say I am not handling it great. I miss him immensely every single day. When I moved home, I bought his house and he lived with us. I am forever grateful for the time my boys got to spend with him. I have been sorting through his stuff which seems to make my feelings come out more. The only "good" feelings I have are cataloging his guns and the couple hundred miles I've put on his Goldwing Trike listening to Johnny Cash and Elvis.

To know my Dad who literally grew up dirt poor had built such a legacy, acquired such wealth (financial, material, and more importantly in friendship) as a blue collar man has made me reevaluate my life a lot.
Mine died when I was 2.
Don't remember a thing about him. By all accounts he was a good man.

Mom married my (step) Dad when i was 10.
We were blessed to have him, still do.
Don't spend as much time with the two of them as I should.

My wife is on her way to Pittsburgh. taking her Mom to see her Dad, right
now. Several months of up and down, his heart rate was in the 30s this am.

I'm afraid he isn't ever coming home.
I do miss him, he passed in February of 2018. My dad was a physician and I have often wondered what his reaction would have been to Covid and all that went with it. I made some pretty major life changes since then and their were lots of steps along the way I would have been glad to have had his counsel and opinions on.
Me n pops were pretty different
He was either super cool or an absolutely cruel bastard.

We got along, but let each other do their own thing.
He was retired for over 20 yrs and had his hobbies and was self reliant damn near to end.

Been gone a little over a year.

Miss the grouch.
Thanksgiving Day 2009 lost Grandpa.
Day after Thanksgiving 2017 lost bad.
Not one bit.
I suppose that the majority of us would miss a parent, or most anyone we were close to! memtb
Pop was a hard ass, but he loved his family in his own way. He was so tight you could hear him squeak when he walked, could fix anything and could break anything. He quit school at 9th grade to work on the farm and with my grand dad, oldest of his siblings. All he ever did was work, he went about hunting like killing snakes but he did enjoy it.

You never got to say "but" and you did what you were told, you learned that pretty quick.

Taught me to stand on my "own hind legs" as he put it. Taught me to log, farm and work concrete. I have never been out of a job.

Got his absentee ballot for him to vote for Trump and against Biden. He got to see a picture of the bull elk I killed right after that, passed away on my way back from Montana.

I miss him every day!
Since I got the phone call, 19 Aug 1984.
Both of my parents passed away last year. I miss them.
Yep!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Not me
This is what I miss.

Dad (L) and wife's step dad. Good men, miss them both.
I have a pic of Pop on my desk. It was taken were were had some goo0d times. At the Rifle Range.

I stopped hunting in 2007 after he passed.
My dad died in 1973, about a month before my 23'rd birthday, he was 51. I was already married, but my 3 younger brothers were still living at home. I think the loss was a little harder on them, especially the 14 year old one. We were lucky that our grandfather, dad's dad, was still living at the time, and he was as good a man as ever lived. He was a lot of help to us for the remaining 5 years that he lived after that.

It's been over 49 years, but I do think about him often, and think about how he was taken so young. There are so many things I wish he'd been able to live to see. I just wish I'd had the chance to tell him how great a man I thought he was. But, it was not God's plan for things to be the way that we want, only as He sees it. I'll see him again some day In Heaven, and then I can tell him what I didn't get to 49 years ago.
Not one bit. Only wish I could tell him look at me now. Self made successful no help from him. Never have missed the verbal abuse since I left home
My Dad passed away in 2004. I have missed him every day since. We spent a lot of time fishing and hunting together. He also spent a lot of time with his grandson. I think my son got his love of fishing from him. Both would rather fish than eat. Miss him a lot.
We lost mom several years ago which came as a surprise to us. Dad smoked cigarettes since he was 10 years old and had never been to the doctor up until a few years ago so we kinda figured that dad would go first. Mom’s passing has left dad lost and trying to fill his days with something
anything. Us kids try to keep him busy, we meet for breakfast and have family meals where we all get together but it doesn’t come close to replacing the hole mom left. All us kids and dad got together yesterday for a few hours of eating and laughing which does our souls good. We were at church this morning and dad must’ve been bored because he swung by my house and waited in the driveway for awhile before he remembered that we were at church. He stopped by the French bakery and brought some croissants and Ă©clairs
.and lidocaine patches for my back. 😂

I’ll miss dad when he goes home to be with mom but I’ll also be happy that they’re reunited. I’ll forever be grateful to dad for being an example of a loving and honest man
a man that I’ve ALWAYS been proud to call my dad! I had an extremely fortunate childhood.
My Dad at 5 months old in 1939 with my grandmother when she was 16, he looks like he was grumpy back then also. This picture is my most priced possession.

I do not.
The Old Man has been gone 12 years this last May.
Mom’s been gone 19 this November.
I couldn’t have had better parents. I always said I was one lucky SOB.
No, there’s never a day that I don’t think about them, and smile and thank God for them.
7mm
Miss both my parents. Great people, not only raised my sister and I but half the neighborhood as well.
Lost my Dad about 3 months ago. It still hasn't sunk in he's gone. Several times since he passed I've thought of things I wanted to ask and then realized he's no longer here.
My dad has been gone for a decade, doesn't seem possible. Probably the smartest person I ever knew. Pancreatic cancer took him out and it got ugly at the end. Still feel bad for what he had to go through.
My dad Worked his Arrs off to support our Family
We did not have much time together but when we did it was good times.
He Supported me when no one else would.
Miss him a lot
Miss both of my parents. Everyday.
Lost dad last December. 2nd time with lung cancer, and he really suffered those last 18 days at the hospital. Still doesn't seem right. He was the only person I could really talk to besides God almighty. It'll never be the same for sure.
Both parents, long time gone. Miss them all the time. Glad my dad can't see what a mess this country has turned in to.
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Lost my Dad about 3 months ago. It still hasn't sunk in he's gone. Several times since he passed I've thought of things I wanted to ask and then realized he's no longer here.
I can relate. I think most of us here can. Sorry about your dad.
Every single day since Dec 2000
Talked to him the night before he died.
Last thing I said to him was “ I love you “
Every
Single
Day

I had him for 62 years and lost him almost a year ago. It still hurts. He put three kids through expensive private school and college, at the same time, while providing for us in a way I cannot fathom.
I'm truly sorry for those of you that did not have the same relationship with your fathers. You were cheated out of something very special.
He was my rock - I did nothing important without using him as a sounding board. I still talk to him daily, but it's a one way conversation. Semper Fi Daddy-O
My step father was my Dad. He gave me his name and countless other blessings that he wasn't aware of.

He loved fishing for walleye and shooting ruffed grouse with a 22. I have only him to thanks for my love for upland hunting. He wouldn't waste a bullet on a deer having grown up in the depression eating poached deer and never liking it.

Dad passed at 58 years old 10 years after his first heart attack. He was quite the character and I miss him beyond words. Every day was and adventure just to be around him.

I wish I could have had more time to learn from him and enjoy his personality. Worked hard and played hard and it took its toll. Five sons and a daughter meant long days for Mom and Dad. Not sure who worked harder, Mom or Dad.

I just realized I was 33 years old when he passed and that was 37 years ago.

I feel for you guys that replied no. Having a good Dad is a blessing.
Every day. Was my main hunting partner.
Dad passed in '73 and Mom in '84.
I miss them both very much---every day!
He would give you the shirt off his kid's back. To be fair, his family thought of children as an unlimited source of free labor.

I don't miss him....I'll just leave it at that.
Every day !
9 yrs 2 months 5 days every day
I am 71yo and I lost my dad when I was 21. Like many I regret not spending more time with him as a teenager and young adult. I think of him often especially when I have watched my grandchildren grow and note that my father did not have the opportunity to see my children, his grandchildren, grow and develop.
Mom passed away in 1988 @ 58 years from breast cancer. I wasn’t as close to her as I should have been. She left when I was quite young and don’t think I ever totally got over it. Dad passed in 2010 @ 85, we were very close and though I don’t think of him every day it is quite often. I got my first graft to stick this spring using blueberry wood to native huckleberry. I know he was smiling from above and shaking his head at the same time watching me struggle with what he taught me. He was the tightest man I ever knew. Would cut the ignition and coast in neutral to save gas. Save aluminum foil from baked potatoes, straighten nails and reuse them, gather clover seed heads from the side of the road by hand and spread over his pasture. I miss fishing and hunting with him a lot.
I miss mom and dad very much
My dad has been gone 12 years as of June, every now and then, I wish I could talk to him to ask him questions. His best advice that he gave me was when I was joining the USARMY when I was 18 years old. He said, "If you join the military, you will see dogs eating dogs" He was so correct.........
Since Sept of 2001. Wonderful man.
Miss my sweet daddy. He was my hero.
Lost mine today. He was a good man and set solid examples for me as a husband and father. His love for the Lord was evident.
So sorry to hear that. Condolences to you and your family. You’ll see him again someday soon.
I miss my Dad like crazy. He passed in 2019 but there is still a deep hole without him here.
My Father passed a couple of weeks after his 91st birthday. He was sitting in the library reading Stephen Ambrose's book Citizen Soldiers and just stopped living on a cold winter's afternoon.

I miss him, but he was always a distant figure and worked far from home until I was 12, so I never really bonded with him. He has a big gun collector, reloader, target and 'chuck shooter, but only a casual hunter. The only reason that he hunted was to hang out with the crew who were all WW2 Marines. He was a hard man, not mean, but he did things his way and anyone who got in the way either moved or took a chance of getting run over, nothing personal, just business.
Originally Posted by AUGrad
Lost mine today. He was a good man and set solid examples for me as a husband and father. His love for the Lord was evident.
My condolences.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Everyday.

đŸŠ«

I miss Mom and Dad, I'd give everything I own to spend one more day with both.
I'll certainly miss my parents when they go. My only living grandfather can't die soon enough and won't be missed. I'm glad my father decided he wanted to live a better life and leave a different legacy than his father. We need more of that these days!
Originally Posted by CRJ1960
Mom passed away in 1988 @ 58 years from breast cancer. I wasn’t as close to her as I should have been. She left when I was quite young and don’t think I ever totally got over it. Dad passed in 2010 @ 85, we were very close and though I don’t think of him every day it is quite often. I got my first graft to stick this spring using blueberry wood to native huckleberry. I know he was smiling from above and shaking his head at the same time watching me struggle with what he taught me. He was the tightest man I ever knew. Would cut the ignition and coast in neutral to save gas. Save aluminum foil from baked potatoes, straighten nails and reuse them, gather clover seed heads from the side of the road by hand and spread over his pasture. I miss fishing and hunting with him a lot.

If you had grown up during the Great Depression you’d do that too.
My brother and I took my dad in to see my sister in the detention center for felony DUI. We met a Deputy coming out that knew my brother and I, but hadn’t met my father. After the introduction, my dad wouldn’t let go of the deputy’s hand and asked “How do I get ahold of that Godammed sheriff.

The deputy was a bit off guard and asked just what he wanted with the sheriff.

“I loaned a worthless son of a bitch some money and he won’t pay me back. I have tried calling the sheriff and he won’t return my calls.” The deputy told him to get ahold of another deputy that handled those affairs and my dad told him he was tired of chasing the law around to help him with his problem.

“I have half a mind to get my gun and shoot that son of a bitch and he won’t take anyone else’s money.”

The deputy warned him, that wouldn’t turn out well and my dad told him;

“I don’t give a good Goddamm if that a$$hole was sitting in the fuggin sheriff’s lap, I ought to just shoot that son of a bitch and he won’t steal again. What are you going to do? Put me in jail for the rest of my life? I’m in my 88th year, what have I got left, 2 years or less?”

Leaving the deputy was a bit uncomfortable, but he understood what my father was saying.

He was born on a homestead in eastern Montana in 1910, lived through a depression, fought in a world war and asked for nothing in return. He meant what he said and the world would be a better place if it was run by cowboys.

He died in 2004 at the age of 94 and 18 years later I wish he was still around for his crystal clear view of what is right and wrong.

RIP Jesse

https://i.imgur.com/tZ6XRcF.jpg
Miss my Dad and Mom every single day. Great parents, prepared us for when they were gone, without us realizing it.

My brothers and I are/were the luckiest men on earth. If we could have picked our parents, we’d have happily picked the ones we had.

God Bless You, Bill and Wilda.
Nimblehunter: Indeed I do miss my father. He was born in 1922 and lived through the Depression and WW-II where he was severely wounded and taken prisoner by the Germans in France.
The Germans did NOT treat his wounds (to both feet - via land mine) for the months he was a prisoner but once liberated he was treated and recuperated in Paris - after recuperation he was assigned as a prison guard over German prisoners.
His feet never completely healed from their wounds (nerve damage) and he never walked a painless step til late in life (age 80) when a V.A. Doctor started removing nerves from his feet and over time the offending nerves were gone and he began to live pain free.
Despite his disability he became a "template maker" for Pacific Car & Foundry amassing a fortune (some from real estate investments) before he died at age 86 in 2,008.
He loved to fish and Hunt but walking was painful and hampered him (us!) in this regard.
He raised three successful sons and had 4 grandchildren.
Above all he instilled in his sons a STRONG work ethic and unfettered honesty.
Yes I "miss" my Dad - may he rest in peace, there at Tahoma National Cemetery - with an incredible unobstructed view of Mt. Rainier.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Lost my Dad at age 90 this past January. He taught me To shoot, hunt, reload, and fight. Taught me to fight for my honor. He was rough as a cobb, but I miss him dearly.

Ron
Don't ask.
I miss my dad. He's still alive and I seem him all the time. But the years have made him not the person I remember.
My dad is still alive. I lost my son two years ago. When my dad is gone, I don't think it will be anything like losing my son. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

He was born on a homestead in eastern Montana in 1910, lived through a depression, fought in a world war and asked for nothing in return. He meant what he said and the world would be a better place if it was run by cowboys

RIP Jesse

https://i.imgur.com/tZ6XRcF.jpg

Gosh, if that picture doesn’t fit the man you described, nothing could.
Of course. Forn in 1949 and died last year of service connected Parkinsons from exposure in Asha Valley 68'-69' defoliant agents.

While I may miss him there's no regrets. I moved in with him and my mom the last 5 years of his life and was part of his care taker. I bought him a couple UTVs and got him an permit to hunt from his UTV and electric chair scooter. He was able to draw for an once in lifetime bull moose tag and got a dandy. He got 2 elk in those times and several deer and untold grouse. Beside that I took him on regional short adventures with his handicap van and got to do things together others can only wish they could with their parents.

Bottom line is while I miss my dad I don't have any regrets. Being single afforded me to spend the time, money, and ability to be with my parents and take care of them in that part of life. Miss making dinner and going on trips with my dad and think about it time to time but I put in those times and opportunities to the maximum when he was here and don't have any of the case of "I wish I would've " that many people face when a parent dies.
Rough thread.

My Dad is 77 and one of my best friends.

Hope he lives forever.
I miss my parents; I'd just like to get back one more afternoon with them. Both were incredible people. Took care of my elderly father after my mom passed until he passed away at 91 years old.
Every day.
I miss my Dad every day. Lost him to cancer on January 19, 1997. He was 59. We were best friends. Did a lot of hunting and fishing together. He was a builder and tought me how to build houses, plumbing, electrical, etc.... Everything from footings to chimney caps.
I do very much lost him to cancer in Feb 2020.
He was 69, could fix anything and did the best job he knew how raising three boys.
We just had his memorial last weekend and put his ashes where he loved to hunt. I wasn't able to make it due to heart surgery. Sucks cause Dad and I had a pact on where we would scatter his ashes or mine depending on who crossed over first.
But God saw fit to give me a second Dad when I was only 6mos old. He did a great job and balanced where my father failed. He is still with us and I worked side by side the majority of the last 32 years. I moved a few states away and he and Mom are thinking about moving here. I hope its soon cause I sure could use some time with him.
Jeff
Originally Posted by Higginez
Rough thread.

Hope he lives forever.

Samey same.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Rough thread.

Hope he lives forever.

Samey same.

Here's to your Dad and mine Jim.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Rough thread.

Hope he lives forever.

Samey same.

Here's to your Dad and mine Jim.

Cheers!
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
I miss my father-in-law, big time. My Dad is still here and I’m very glad of it. Heck, he is in better shape than I am. His work out regimen is insane.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Since 1976.

1990 here
Mine was a great provider growing up. As he aged he became a real prick so no.
Originally Posted by slumlord

That could lead a guy to do some quick work with your feet.
I don't, either one of my parents.
You all wouldn't have liked them either.
Mine is still alive and won't go away. I won't miss him at all.
My father died in 2000 at age 83 of cancer. He was truly too good to me. I miss him daily and will for the rest of my days.
Nope
Nope
Lost my dad 7-7-18. Always quick with a joke. I remember an Uncle telling how he had been catching lots of Walleye and how they had been "eating the chit out of them"...........Dad pipes in and asks "What are you doing with the meat?" lol Miss you Dad.
Me..
© 24hourcampfire