Home
Zuchini and yellow straight neck squash are getting big enough to harvest. My wife cooked our favorite summer dish last night.

Slice a squash of either type, (or one of each) into 1/4 inch slices. Salt lightly to draw out water. A soon as the slices begin to sweat, drag them through a plate of flour and coat each side. Then drop into a skillet with 1/4 inch oil and fry both sides until golden brown.
We had that exact meal just the other day.
With fried chicken of course.
Posted By: MAC Re: Tastes from your childhood - 07/31/22
My mother did the fried squash and she also did fried green tomatoes. We always had a big garden when I was growing up as well as a flock of chickens and a couple cows and pigs we butchered in the fall. Food just tastes better when you raise it yourself.
Zucc and squash weren't part of my childhood. It was Mrs. Kamo Gari that gave me my childhood flashback with some Japanese food. OMG, it took me back to the Land of the Rising Sun.
RB
When i was a wee lad….

I had to go to pre-school / daycare / whatever it was called.

Both parents worked.

Seems like they fixed spaghetti-ohs 5 days a week.

I haven’t ate spaghetti-ohs since….
Ice Cream!!!!!
Be 60 next year.
Gonna eat more Ice cream!!!

All us oldsters luv ice cream don't we???

Gonna eat Ice cream every chance I can get!!!

😄👍👍😄😁😁😁😄😄
You know it's weird but the only meal I remember is chili poored over white rice. We had 6 kids and my dad didn't make a ton of money as a Lutheran minister. Can't believe they got by, to this day I can't understand how. Fuggin genius.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
You know it's weird but the only meal I remember is chili poored over white rice. We had 6 kids and my dad didn't make a ton of money as a Lutheran minister. Can't believe they got by, to this day I can't understand how. Fuggin genius.
Seriously I can't understand how, always had new or newer vehicles in the driveway. I mean wtf? The guy was making a schit salary.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Zuchini and yellow straight neck squash are getting big enough to harvest. My wife cooked our favorite summer dish last night.

Slice a squash of either type, (or one of each) into 1/4 inch slices. Salt lightly to draw out water. A soon as the slices begin to sweat, drag them through a plate of flour and coat each side. Then drop into a skillet with 1/4 inch oil and fry both sides until golden brown.

My grandmother always fried hers like that in flour. My Mom always used cornmeal instead.
I’ll eat it either way, but it’s much better fried in cornmeal, IMO.
Old time Florida mangoes. Can't be had these days, miss that a bunch.
Fresh hot lard cracklin'!
Originally Posted by MAC
My mother did the fried squash and she also did fried green tomatoes. We always had a big garden when I was growing up as well as a flock of chickens and a couple cows and pigs we butchered in the fall. Food just tastes better when you raise it yourself.

Yep. Never had fried chicken anywhere near as good, as when my Grandmother would kill a couple and fry them up in her big ole iron skillet.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by MAC

Yep. Never had fried chicken anywhere near as good, as when my Grandmother would kill a couple and fry them up in her big ole iron skillet.
Fuggin savage, those old women got it done. My grandmother was the same way, they didn't think twice about it. We were city kids but got a dose of reality when visiting my grandparents. It was great.
Originally Posted by MAC

My grandmother's fried chicken has never been duplicated. I even have her Wagner skillet, circa 1890-1920 and I can't make it do what she did.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by MAC

My grandmother's fried chicken has never been duplicated. I even have her Wagner skillet, circa 1890-1920 and I can't make it do what she did.

And you never will be able to; it wasn’t just the meal, it was the love of the person that prepared it…,
Posted By: cas6969 Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/01/22
Ripe fruit.

I think about it now and that and it kind of makes me sad, my nieces and nephews young children. It's quite likely that they will go their whole lives without knowing what a banana is supposed to taste like, or most other fruits.
Tastes from my childhood would have to include the sauerbraten from an old Bavarian recipe made by my German maternal grandparents and also the horseradish they made from the plants they grew. My grandmother would be terrified of me using too much horseradish on something and would always warn me against putting too much on something. When I got a little older I discovered that she was right.
Posted By: TimZ Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/01/22
We would always go out and catch mackerel by the tub load during the fall run. Every Friday night without fail,Mom would bake five in a pan filled with tomato sauce…..

Don’t miss baked mackerel at all!
Posted By: EdM Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/01/22
I have stuffed zucchini about to go in the oven. My Mother was a great cook as are her three children.
Home made Fudge.
So many foods of my youth. My mother was a very good cook and my grandmother was even better. I think, however, when I think of a food I really miss, and have not had since my grandmother was killed in a fire accident many years ago, was her freshly fried peach pies. Rolled out her own dough, put in a spice or two, some brown sugar with the peaches, folded the top over, crimped the edges with a fork, dropped them into her ancient cast iron skillet with some hot lard and .... to kill for!!

I do miss those fried peach pies. smile

L.W.
Posted By: Lucas1 Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/01/22
Grandmother's fried apple pies and tea cakes.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by MAC

Agreed. I’ve got both my grandmother’s and my great grandmother’s iron skillets. Still can’t cook it as good as they did. 😢
Posted By: Dutch Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/01/22
fresh goose berries, straight from the bush. We'd go out and pick a big bowl full and go sit in front of the TV and eat and watch "Bonanza", dubbed in German......

Hate to say it, but my mother wasn't much of a cook. Her home made sauerkraut was pretty memorable, though.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
So many foods of my youth. My mother was a very good cook and my grandmother was even better. I think, however, when I think of a food I really miss, and have not had since my grandmother was killed in a fire accident many years ago, was her freshly fried peach pies. Rolled out her own dough, put in a spice or two, some brown sugar with the peaches, folded the top over, crimped the edges with a fork, dropped them into her ancient cast iron skillet with some hot lard and .... to kill for!!

I do miss those fried peach pies. smile

L.W.

Yep. Those were unbelievably good ! And the peach ones were my favorite. As were my grandmother’s homemade peach preserves. Fresh from her peach trees.
Not to mention peach cobbler. 🤠
Posted By: blanket Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/01/22
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Fresh hot lard cracklin'!
Yes and crackling gravy over biscuits
Posted By: blanket Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/01/22
Fried pork brains and eggs
My Mom used to make what we called blackberry dumplings. From what I remember, she’d take a large stock pot, fill about half way with wild blackberries that we’d pick, add some sugar and simmer down into kind of a runny consistency “jelly”. Then she’d roll out her pie crust dough real thin, cut into small strips, and drop into the simmering berries. Cook down for a while.
Tasted like a whole bowl full of the bottom crust of a really good cobbler. Warm, with or without vanilla ice cream added, unbelievable.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Space Dust and Pop Rocks
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/01/22
In addition to all the good grandma food everyone is mentioning:

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
My grand dad was a cheap ass

Instead of ice cream, he got that Ice Milk bullshiiet. $2 for a drum.

Crunchy crap with a near sour milk taste.
My grandmother used to make chicken in a deep frying pan with what seemed like a pound of paprika and little tiny dumplings (when she got older she just put elbow macaroni in). We've all tried different variations of it, but no one had yet replicated it.
My “step grandmother” was in her 80s before she had ever ate spaghetti. I fixed it for them. She grumbled the whole time. old Mrs Super Colon had only ever ate STEAK or fried chicken. JFC

she didn’t like it. Said she wasn’t no greazy dego wop. Ungrateful old sea hag. Fussed like a 6 year old kid.

Took her to Ponderosa once, she got a steak and about 5 bowls of chocolate puddling off of their nasty salad bar. Old can be brats. Not sure about all that greatest generation business. No sure what sacrifices she had ever made to act like that
Lime Jello with fruit cocktail
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/01/22
Fried spam hor'dourves......pan fried corn bread cakes topped with pan grilled spam......
Redeye gravy, homemade cathead biscuits with Steens pure cane ribbon syrup and ice cold fresh milk.

Red beans with big chunks of lean, pre-boiled salt meat on top of white rice covered with fresh chopped scallions.

Great grandmother’s pot of chicken and dumplings.

All of the above keeps body and soul together.
Scrapple or fried slices of corn meal mush covered with syrup for breakfast
Grandma’s cinnamon rolls. Probably made with their own lard, farm eggs and who knows what else.
Posted By: CRJ1960 Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/01/22
Whole bluegills de-finned and headed, shaken in a paper sack with cornmeal and fried in a cast iron skillet. The fried tail was my favorite part. Funny how little kids of my generation could eat whole perch and never choke on a bone. Grandma used to take leftover mash potatoes and fry up potato paddy’s the next day.
My mother was German, maternal AND paternal sides.
She had 5 sisters.
When the clan got together on T'giving, it was a riot!
Sleeping on pallets. Six kids to a bed. How in H-E double hockey sticks they prepared THAT much food, that quickly, in THAT kitchen!
The table they set would make a Luby's blush!
The dessert table was ten foot long with a variety that would shame a bakery.
Them old German girls should could cook.
My paternal grandmother was from Mobile, Ala.
She hooked up with the 6 sisters on T'giving.
My mom was the last of the line. Lost her in Feb of 2020 at age 98.

BUT....

The venison my dad could turn out off the old kerosene stove in our 2 room hunting "camp" was unbelievable!

An old iron pot.
Chunk up the tenderloins. Salt, pepper and dredge in flour.
Brown in bacon grease in the bottom of the iron pot.
Remove the meat when browned.
Using Carnation canned milk, make gravy in the bottom of the pot.
Return meat to pot, cover and set on simmer.
In the meantime, make fries and biscuits!
A meal fit for a king and starving hunters! LOL!
When winter weather was cold and snowy my Grandmother would make beef stew topped with pie crust made with lard. It warmed your body and soul.
Chicken fried in a cast iron skillet with milk gravy made with the strainings for lack of a better term for the mashed potatoes.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Space Dust and Pop Rocks

Oooh. Pop rocks. The chicks loved it when i would dump a pile on my tongue and lick them in just the right spot, about a half inch above the slot.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Space Dust and Pop Rocks

Oooh. Pop rocks. The chicks loved it when i would dump a pile on my tongue and lick them in just the right spot, about a half inch above the slot.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Grandma Stella made Lasagna with little meatballs in it for special occasions,it was REALLY good.Her entire Thanksgiving meal every year was a big treat.Her brisket,German potatoe salad,etc.Even her ice coffee was unreal.
She made me peppers and eggs on Italian bread,and her summer lemon pie was delicious.My mom was a good cook,Grandma Stella was phenomenal.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/01/22
Grandmas, Roast beef, broad beans from the garden, Yorkshire pudding, and homemade mint sauce......

The Midlands, England..............

A tongue sandwich is the BEST cold beef sandwich made...
Fried bananas fritters made by mom.
Originally Posted by RupertBear
Zucc and squash weren't part of my childhood. It was Mrs. Kamo Gari that gave me my childhood flashback with some Japanese food. OMG, it took me back to the Land of the Rising Sun.
RB

Ha, ha! Wiley, there you are. Believe it or not, A just called me from Atlanta and told me she misses you and TRHG. Out of le bleu. wink

Hey, I have something to send to you. When it arrives, I expect you're going to crack up.

PM sent, and yoroushiku onegai itashimasu, Sensei.
Originally Posted by CRJ1960
Grandma used to take leftover mash potatoes and fry up potato paddy’s the next day.

Yep. My GrandDad called those “Tater Cakes”

Damn good stuff !!! 🤠
Originally Posted by CRJ1960
Grandma used to take leftover mash potatoes and fry up potato paddy’s the next day.

Yep. My GrandDad called those “Tater Cakes”

Damn good stuff !!! 🤠

I completely forgot about those and they were fried in the lard from all the bacon grease poured off the bacon from the cast iron skillet that never cooked anything under the temperature that would melt lead…
You guys don't still do that?
Posted By: EdM Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/01/22
It's always fun reading these threads coming from parents that were conceived in Italy and born here. I really have zero American history to speak of.
The taste/smell memory that took me the longest to forget was from a tonsillectomy at age 4. Back then they used ether. I was through high school before I stopped having flashbacks of the smell of that stuff.
Posted By: Huncho Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/01/22
Pics or it never happened.
homemade tortillas and tamales, I made a few dozen tamales yesterday.

We had a handful of weeknight dishes that seemed to get served with boring regularity. But those don’t stand out.
The ones that stand out most in my memories are things like the burnt toast and buttermilk my grandpa would eat at every meal, crawfish from a sack of in south LA, scrapple, Grammies vittles made with Copes dried corn, hunt camp dinners with hot slaw and creamed lettuce, and quite a few others.
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Space Dust and Pop Rocks

Lol I love Farleys hair in that clip.
Fried Lake Erie Yellow Perch. Grandpa was a commercial fisherman. We ate a whole bunch of perch!
Posted By: hanco Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/01/22
None stand out for me, try to forget mine!
Posted By: colodog Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/01/22
Mom's red enchiladas were the best....
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/01/22
Fried chicken like my grandmother and Aunt Grace used to make. My wife is a great cook, but she can't fry chicken like they did. But, to be fair, it may have a lot to do with the chicken. We ate a lot of soup beans and cornbread, and that's good stuff. My Granny made a brown bread that she cooked in the metal Calumet baking soda cans, and served it with a sweet sauce. I could literally eat my weight in that stuff.
Posted By: pullit Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/01/22
One of my favorite meals when I was a kid was fat back, pinto beans, and cold slaw.
Grandma's fried chicken and tater cakes. Mom's fried pork steaks, fried taters and onions, chuck roast with carrots and taters, white beans and cornbread.......
Can close my eyes and still smell it all cooking .... Great memories.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/01/22
Interesting thread - I had never really thought about the topic, and now that I have, I don't really remember any specific dishes from home. We ate well, and I enjoyed what we had, but there isn't anything that stands out. I do remember the chili dogs from A & Root back when they were made with real hot dogs and the orange chili instead of the red chili that they use now.
Just bought some orange cream, ice cream bars a few days ago.

Sure brought back memories.

Used to get them at the snack bar when I was in Jr. High in the 60's

10 cents back then.

Virgil B.
I suspect my father never married my mother for her cooking...some things are best forgotten. For his sake I sure hope the wifing was better than the cooking.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/01/22
My grand dad was a cheap ass

Instead of ice cream, he got that Ice Milk bullshiiet. $2 for a drum.

Crunchy crap with a near sour milk taste.

My mom used to buy that in a square box. Neapolitan flavor. Slice it off instead of dipping it out.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/01/22
Mom and Grandmother used to bake Polish items for Christmas. Those kolaczki's don't resemble what folks call them today. Were what we kids called bow-ties. There were some other stuff I never cared for all that much. Same with Golabki ( though I remember calling it something else) - a cabbage filled with meat and rice..... meh...

Mom did make a mean chicken noodle soup. I will make it for the wife, noodles and all, especially when she isn't feeling good but I don't have mom's recipe and cannot duplicate the same unique taste of hers.

When kids we ate on the cheap. Fried bologna and plain elbow noodles- sometimes added Ketchup. Flavorless as heck but with six kids.....

Two 'flavors' I will never get back . First sip of beer while fishing with Dad ...and that marvelous hoppy foamy taste-...don't tell your mother..... and the other is smell of uncle's pipe tobacco. I tried a pipe a few times thinking I could relive that smell-taste- never worked for me.
Posted By: mathman Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/01/22
Grandma's hamburger steak and gravy.

Fried okra that Mom made. When I was about three I'd help her choose the ones we'd eat that day.

Manuel's hot tamales when we visited my great aunt in New Orleans, or the chop suey she'd make for us.
Posted By: old70 Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/01/22
Fried perch or walleye with ‘tartar sauce’ made from miracle whip and pickle relish, creamed morels on toast, venison loins pan fried with onion and bacon. All things mom excelled at. Typical lunch was fried bologna with ketchup.

Old70
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/01/22
School pizza! Although ours didn't have oregano on it like in this pic. Gertrude and MayBelle back there in the kitchen had never heard of oregano.

Ours usually came with corn, or canned tomatoes (gag), or carrot sticks (double gag). Compared to the rest of the glop they served, the pizza was a gourmet meal.

[Linked Image from plainchicken.com]
Yep. 1970s school pizza was awesome:

Posted By: mathman Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/03/22
We loved third grade school pizza. The lunch ladies did a pretty damn good gumbo too.
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Yep. 1970s school pizza was awesome:

We had pizza on a bun..

Always the day after sloppy Joe's.

Dab of SJ mix on a bun half, slice of cheese and baked.
Watercress from a crick, dandelion, endive, or just tough leaf lettuce, with
Hot Bacon Dressing. Mashed potatoes, ham or deer steak.

Common in my childhood.

Wife learned to make it, sh and kids love it as much as I do.

Gravy bites, (gravy and bread) common as a kid in tough times.
Thought everyone ate it.
Don't miss that.

Love a hot roast beef though (can afford meat now)

My grandmother used the zucchini and summer squash, but a simpler preparation where she just sautéed the moons or discs of them
with some roughly chunked, super ripe, garden tomatoes of whichever variety, smashed garlic clove, a little good olive oil, salt n peppah. Maybe some basil at the end from the garden. A little fresh oregano or dried iieu of. Not too wet and sloppy, but just soft and saucy enough from the vegetables juices. Quick preparation. Not simmering down on the stove for more than 10 minutes. I still love that. If the fresh tomatoes were out of season or unavailable, she would do same with some canned San Marzano whole tomatoes, coarsely broken in her fingers and then drained a bit through a sieve.

Favorite side dish in summer next to anything. But best in a small bowl, what she called a ‘monkey dish’ lol. So the juices don’t go all running into whatever else. Unless there’s rice or polenta on the plate as well.
The there’s stuffed, fried Zuchini Blossoms/flowers. But that was not an everyday kind of thing.
Posted By: DMc Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/03/22
This will probably sound weird. My sister & I would peel a raw potato, drop it in a glass of water and then refrigerate. After it was chilled, we’d slice it, add salt, and eat them like french fries.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/03/22
My wife cuts zucchini and squash into strips, drizzles a little olive oil on em, gives em a good shake of sea salt and crushed red pepper, and sprinkles parmesan cheese on them. Then she roasts the strips in the oven. Delicious.
Tree Top apple juice and Planters peanuts.

Grape juice and a big chunk of Velveeta.

Nìgger toes and WWF wrasslin.
My mom was/is a terrible cook. She would buy a bag of white beans for next to nothing. Throw them in the pressure cooker with a little salt and maybe a few small pieces of diced ham and serve that shxitt. We had to eat it until it was gone - which usually lasted 2-3 days. Breakfast usually consisted of whatever cereal was on sale and powdered milk. She hated cooking and the responsibility of kids. We were all skinny as a beanpole. What I did love was eating anywhere that wasn’t home. Thankfully my buddies mom took pity on me and often fed me during suppertime. I guess I should just be thankful we had something at all. I was always told how all the starving children around the world would love to have it! Telling mom “well let’s send it to them!” Was apparently the wrong answer.
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
My mom was/is a terrible cook. She would buy a bag of white beans for next to nothing. Throw them in the pressure cooker with a little salt and maybe a few small pieces of diced ham and serve that shxitt. We had to eat it until it was gone - which usually lasted 2-3 days. Breakfast usually consisted of whatever cereal was on sale and powdered milk. She hated cooking and the responsibility of kids. We were all skinny as a beanpole. What I did love was eating anywhere that wasn’t home. Thankfully my buddies mom took pity on me and often fed me during suppertime. I guess I should just be thankful we had something at all. I was always told how all the starving children around the world would love to have it! Telling mom “well let’s send it to them!” Was apparently the wrong answer.

Bruh!
Dang, we got brown paper sack of hamhocks just for that purpose. We fix a pot of white beans onc’t a week. They smell like total ass after about Day 6 and we start a fresh batch.

Dr Mercola recommended

When it’s winter times, we can have cornbread with them.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Tree Top apple juice and Planters peanuts.

Grape juice and a big chunk of Velveeta.

Nìgger toes and WWF wrasslin.

For us it was Mid South wrasslin' promoted by Cowboy Bill Watts. The Big Cat Ernie Ladd, Skandor Akbar, ...
I remember when the Iron Sheik used to swing those Persian Clubs. 75 lb each.

Dude was stout

Had them loaded boots.
He had a great feud with Hacksaw Jim Duggan.
George the Animal Steele

Chewed them pads on the turnbuckles right up.
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Same. Mom loved being a mom but she didn't get her cooking skills from my grandmother.

All these years later and she hasn't improved much. Her best cooking is from hand me down recipes.
Posted By: ring3 Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/03/22
Sauerkraut perogies, golumpki, helushki. Tired of them all growing up. Miss them all now.

Oh yeah, Barg’s Red Cream Soda.
Fried oysters coated in cracker meal with fries and cole slaw. A real treat for Saturday dinner when I was a kid. My favorite as a kid.

Ron
Tastes from your childhood

Dial soap
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

Dial soap

Ivory if you were bad.

Palmolive liquid if you were REALLY bad.
Anyone remember "Hotdish"? When I was in elelmentary school, the school menu for the week was posted on a paper on the cafeteria door. If one day had spaghetti, then a day or two later we had "Hotdish" which was just leftover chopped up spaghetti.

In high school, we use to go to one of the fast food places, Whataburger, burger king, or buy a 12-pack and sit out in the parking lot drinking it, but on Wednesdays, everybody ate at school it was enchilada day and to this day they were the best. The lady that made them started making them for a local restaurant after she retired.
My grandmother made the best biscuits that I ever ate.
My mom was an outstanding cook but she still didn’t match up to my grandma. I use to love everything about going up to the farm but the food was the best part. Her homemade bread made everything it came into contact with an awesome meal but pale by comparison at the same time. The chokecherry jam was awesome but the bread made it better. Summer sausage sandwiches in the field on lunch breaks were heavenly but the bread stole the show. She baked it what seemed like daily in a giant coal fired stove when I was little and I can still recall the smell when you first walked in the house.

Someone else mentioned fruit that tasted the way it was supposed to and I recall the flavors from the vegetable garden at our farm being the best. Baby carrots fresh out of the ground w/ a little dirt still on them. New potatoes and sweet peas. The best might have been sweet corn that was on the stalk about :30 before you ate it. Nothing from this era matches the flavors and aromas of my memories of a great woman and her kitchen.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/03/22

Dial soap

Ivory if you were bad.

This.

Mom was a great cook....

But I can remember the soap. Didn't help she taught at the school.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/03/22
Originally Posted by mathman
We loved third grade school pizza. The lunch ladies did a pretty damn good gumbo too.
Our school pizza was a slice of bread with a bit of sauce, longhorn cheese and some ground beef. All baked in an oven. It was actually pretty good stuff.

kwg
Posted By: horse1 Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/03/22
Grandma would do baked chicken almost every Sunday then chicken-dumpling soup with the bones/carcass/leftovers.

Baked apples with cinnamon and heavy cream were a favorite treat as was warm bread-pudding also with heavy cream.

Picking strawberries and raspberries from the patches in the garden.

All the grandkids would stir grandma's garden peas into our mashed potatoes anytime they were served together. When there weren't mashed potatoes, you'd get your peas warm in a small bowl of cream.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/03/22
Apparently you guys weren't bad.
I hate squash. I had to eat it every day during the Summer as a kid.

We had peach and apple trees in our yard as a kid. There's nothing better than grabbing a fresh peach off of the tree when you've been running around and hot and sweaty.

Home made peach ice cream.

Honeysuckle. The smell of it in the early Summer always makes me think of my childhood.
Posted By: Geno67 Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/03/22
Figs off the tree. Homemade peach ice cream with fresh peaches.
Posted By: shaman Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/03/22
Most of the tastes of my childhood are still around if I dig for them.

One of the few tastes that are just plain gone is a particular form of pan-fried chicken that was common in these parts when I was younger. Restaurants used to serve it before the days of batter-encrusted deep-fried stuff took over. It's lightly floured and fried crisp in a pan.

Of all the places that served it, the one that epitomized it was a place on RT 50 in Indiana called The Mounds. They served family style all you could eat chicken. My Dad's family was driving out there clear back into the 30s. I think they finally closed up in the 90s.

The style of chicken seemed to be prevalent in Southern Indiana, but a lot of restaurants in Cincinnati served it. I haven't seen it on a menu for years.
Grandma made terrific homemade bread and sis and I would have a buttered slice of that fresh bread with sugar on it while sitting on grandma’s back porch steps. Fresh tomatoes out of her garden with sugar or salt. She made a leg of lamb roast lots of Sundays with dark brown gravy some of which I always managed to spill on her clean white table cloth.

Mom had a thing called “A new taste experience” that we had once in a while that was memorable and not always delectable. She tried to make grandma’s bread, but it never was the same. One day she actually measured grandma’s handful, because grandma measured her ingredients that way.

My little sister made great fudge and chocolate chip cookies.

Deer liver and heart every opening day evening and reason enough to have forgotten to bring them in.

I too heard about all those starving Armenians that would like what we were having when I didn’t. Good memories.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/03/22
You guys don't still do that?
I will at times, but the wife likes to grab up the leftover mashed taters for shepherd's pie.

I ain't complainin' either!
Originally Posted by renegade50
Ice Cream!!!!!
Be 60 next year.
Gonna eat more Ice cream!!!

All us oldsters luv ice cream don't we???

Gonna eat Ice cream every chance I can get!!!

😄👍👍😄😁😁😁😄😄

I hear there's Spam flavored out there now.

Maybe, if you look hard, you can find some Spaghetti O's or Vienna Sausage flavored Blue Bell?
Used to pelt each other with figs. They looked like nuttsacks hanging off the neighbor’s tree.
Originally Posted by Dutch
fresh goose berries, straight from the bush. We'd go out and pick a big bowl full and go sit in front of the TV and eat and watch "Bonanza", dubbed in German......

Hate to say it, but my mother wasn't much of a cook. Her home made sauerkraut was pretty memorable, though.
Dang, thanks for the reminder. I need to put that on the list of plants to get for around this place. Only had a few from a small bush where I lived once. Would love to get enough for pie or such.
Used to pelt each other with figs. They looked like nuttsacks hanging off the neighbor’s tree.
Used to pelt each other with black, fallen, avocados.

That pit hurts when one gets a direct hit.
Used to pelt the hell out of some other kids in Florida with guavas and kumquats. lol

Take a guava to the eye socket via slingshot at 900fps. Oh yeah!!!! MFER!!!
We used rocks and bb's like normal people.

Food was too scarce to he used as weapons.
We used rocks and bb's like normal people.

Food was too scarce to he used as weapons.

We had that too.

My friend leroy had to go get a bb cut out of his ass meat.
I don’t think I shot him. We never used more than 3 pumps on 760 Crossman

Was several of us tho. Was also some mean kids. Pedro and TW from Bel Air. Mexican and a negro. Couple years older than us.
My bud Leroy, his sister Penny was like 17 and a lesbo on the basketball team. She kicked both of their asses couple days later. Like black eyes and chit.
Originally Posted by Jcubed

Dial soap

Ivory if you were bad.

This.

Mom was a great cook....

But I can remember the soap. Didn't help she taught at the school.

Dial, Ivory, Palmolive.

I don't remember tasting any Irish Spring, that would have been it for me. I'd have changed my ways for sure.

Must have been too old for the soap thing by the time they came out with that nasty scheidt. I still hate the smell of it if someone showers in it then goes out in public.
Used to pelt the hell out of some other kids in Florida with guavas and kumquats. lol

Take a guava to the eye socket via slingshot at 900fps. Oh yeah!!!! MFER!!!
Eugenia berries, loquats, whatever was handy. Olives don't fly so straight, never can figure out if you're gonna hit friend or foe.
The South is like Eden though. Every yard has something you can pick and either eat or bust a window out with it.
Moms deep fried (in beef lard) donuts and a big glass of cold apple cider.
Purple Italian plums were the weapon of choice for us kids. The trees produced so many plums that it was impossible to use them all so we’d give away a bunch every year but irregardless of how many we collected the ground was littered with plums. They made great throwing objects because they’d sort of explode on contact leaving an unmistakable stain of plum juice. The yellow jackets loved those fallen plums too. I don’t know how many times I picked up plum to throw at one of my brothers when the yellow jackets came crawling out of the hole in the plum and would sting me. Yellow jackets were my nemesis growing up. I’ve been stung so many times that I’m practically immune now. 😁

Too many tastes and smells from my childhood to list here. I find myself missing those days more and more these days…

Ivory was the worst and Dial left a chemical aftertaste. Dove wasn’t too bad. Even as a kid I’d choose Ivory because it was 99 and 44/100ths % pure. The taste was gross but I figured it wouldn’t hurt me since it was “pure” and clean.
My mom was a great cook, but damn if I didn't love a tv dinner when I was kid.
Crumbled up burger meat, some diced onion, brown gravy served over rice. Not too expensive to feed a family of seven on a one earner budget.

Lots of "spaghetti". Might be long skettis, might be rottini. Might be lasagna. 3x a week it seems some sort of Italian pasta stuff. Leftovers sometimes fried in the cast iron skillet.

Of course, Friday was baked tuna noodle casserole or baked mac and cheese. Sometimes them g-d fish sticks. Hated them things.

Mom made good roast beef dinners and also pork chops and kraut with egg noodles.

I still make that stuff on occasion. Love it. Can still make a really good version of the spaghetti sauce mom made, she learned from dad's Dago family. No written recipe, so I helped a bunch of times when I was a kid to learn it by heart.

One thing I don't miss is canned veggies from the grocery store, and then they were overcooked some more. Mom was a city gal from the 30's and 40's and was well trained by Green Giant and Del Monte...................convenience was the word. No cleaning veggies at the sink, just open a can.

Don't miss that white bread we always had either. For us it was a treat to be able to get some Hillbilly Bread!
The South is like Eden though. Every yard has something you can pick and either eat or bust a window out with it.
SoCal was great too.

Ride by on your bicycle and snatch a nice ripe orange or grapefruit off a tree. Loquats everywhere it seemed, birds probably spread the seeds. Folks with fruit trees like plums and peaches too.
Sloppy Joes and Hamburger Helper is the junk food we got.

I still ask for it once in a while 50yrs later and no worries about having to share it with the grown-ups I live with. smile
Posted By: g5m Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/03/22
Fried okra. Miss it.
Originally Posted by SuperCub

I still ask for it once in a while 50yrs later and no worries about having to share it with the grown-ups I live with. smile

Yep. I still love the Mac & Cheese Hamburger Helper and the Manwich brand of Sloppy Joe’s. Damn good Junk Food.
Lake water coffee.

Yep. I still love the Mac & Cheese Hamburger Helper and the Manwich brand of Sloppy Joe’s. Damn good Junk Food.

We ate a few meals of those two also.

As I mentioned, mom was trained really well about the convenience of modern cooking.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

We ate a few meals of those two also.

As I mentioned, mom was trained really well about the convenience of modern cooking.

Geno, Mom never cooked those when we were kids. She was one of the best cooks ever. All my friends loved to come over our house to eat when we were still in school.

I didn’t learn about Hamburger Helper and Manwich sandwich’s till I was on my own in College.
They were cheap and very filling back then when hamburger meat was almost cheaper than dirt. Ate that a lot in College along with tuna fish sandwich’s and lots of bacon & eggs. Along with canned biscuits dipped in peanut butter mixed with Karo syrup. 🤠
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/04/22
I was goin' right along with you until that last part with the biscuits. Can't stand the taste of anything peanut.

And Karo syrup is for makin' pies and stuff.
I was goin' right along with you until that last part with the biscuits. Can't stand the taste of anything peanut.

LOL. You stuff the biscuits full of bacon then dip it in peanut butter & Karo syrup. 😬

LOL. You stuff the biscuits full of bacon then dip it in peanut butter & Karo syrup. 😬

No..........I ......................Don't

Thats unreasonable.
Tang

Thats unreasonable.

Right?

but I don't GAS.

not even a sharts worth.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/04/22
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Tang

About once every 6 or 7 years, my wife gets all nostalgic for it and buys a jug of the powder. I think maybe Kroger carries it still. She'll make one pitcher, drink about a glass of it, then she pours the rest of the pitcher down the sink and throws the schidt in the trash.

Sometimes the memory is better than the reality. 😄
Growing up mom and dad expected us to finish our plates and pickiness was not an option. Mom allowed each of us 5 kids 1 meal that we didn’t like and we were allowed, by that single humanitarian gesture, to choose something else for that meal. My hated dinner was tuna casserole so I exercised my exemption on the nights tuna casserole was served. The weird thing is that I now like tuna casserole and my wife and I make it from time to time. 😁. I’m sure that if they’d have forced me to eat it I would still hate it but they gave me a choice and it totally threw me off my game.

To this day I’m not a picky person and I’ll eat most everything which I’m sure is thanks to mom and dad.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/04/22
I was allowed to eat or not eat various things. There was always a can of soup or something to make a sandwich out of if I opted for that. This bit of scandalous parenting resulted in my eventually being curious enough to try the dishes that I had turned down, at which point in my life I found that I liked them.
when I was a kid I wouldn't eat chicken.
Fudge, home churned butter, home raised walnuts.
Flintstones vitamins

Ate 3 this morning
Posted By: skeen Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/04/22

An ice cold Coke from a glass bottle.

We didn't get one very often, so it was a big deal, and a real treat.

My grandma would make us set at the table when having one, and I'd take my time savoring the sweet heavenly drink, not wanting the experience to end too soon. laugh
In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust
Originally Posted by skeen

An ice cold Coke from a glass bottle.

We didn't get one very often, so it was a big deal, and a real treat.

My grandma would make us set at the table when having one, and I'd take my time savoring the sweet heavenly drink, not wanting the experience to end too soon. laugh
Loved stopping at the A&W drive in for a root beer float too.
My mother's canned peaches and pears.
Sally Cavanaugh.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Sally Cavanaugh.

Was she on your Mom's side or your Dad's?
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/04/22
My younger brother, now deceased, absolutely loved peanut butter and syrup. W toast, biscuits, bread or crackers if necessary. Now I could indeed go for the biscuits bacon and peanut butter deal!
[quote=slumlord]Used to pelt the hell out of some other kids in Florida with guavas and kumquats. lol

Take a guava to the eye socket via slingshot at 900fps. Oh yeah!!!! MFER!!![/quot

Crab apples and new potatoes. Hurt yer ass
Learned about macromay too, like braiding twine and what not, to develop WHIPS. For honest hurting and lashing.

Lit some folks up like Christmas Trees.

Had it I coming i figure.
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: skeen Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/04/22
Sally Cavanaugh.

Posted By: Cheesy Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/04/22
Originally Posted by auk1124
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Tang

About once every 6 or 7 years, my wife gets all nostalgic for it and buys a jug of the powder. I think maybe Kroger carries it still. She'll make one pitcher, drink about a glass of it, then she pours the rest of the pitcher down the sink and throws the schidt in the trash.

Sometimes the memory is better than the reality. 😄

Wife keeps Tang on hand. Mixes it with instant vanilla pudding and spoons that on cut up
Grapes/apples/bananas/strawberries/etc for a fruit salad. Pretty good.
Food was too scarce to he used as weapons
Now that was hilarious Jim
Originally Posted by g5m
Fried okra. Miss it.

Miss it??

Shît far and save matches, I can have us a mess fried up in less than 15 mins if’n I grab a flash light and a steak knife.

Get the grease hot

I tossed 30-40 horns over the fence couple hours ago. Skip one day and they get too tough.
Life too short to eat tough fat okry
Posted By: msalm Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/04/22
Will never forget my dad butchering deer in the fall and making sure to leave about a 1/4” of fat cap on the loins, saying it added flavor. It certainly tasted good when fried but I’ll never forget the feeling of the hardened fat on the roof of your mouth after drinking some cold milk. If you trimmed off the fat he’d stab it with his fork and help himself. My mother made about a dozen loaves of whole wheat bread at a time, storing extras in the freezer, still remember the yeasty, bitter flavor of those loaves. Not too bad toasted with generous amounts of butter and home made runny jam, but not too good either. We ate what was served and nothing I remember being exceptional, but it was filling.
Sally Cavanaugh.

Cajon.
Big League Chew

I would eat it, hell with blowing bubbles and chewing it.

Then the grape came out. 😍
Big League Chew

Ground Ball Grape you ingrate!
Big League Chew, and Jerky Snuff…then Gold River and Silver Creek snuff!
Posted By: blanket Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/04/22
My mom made the most heavenly yeast bread and rolls and covered with hamburger gravy was a meal fit for kings
Originally Posted by g5m
Fried okra. Miss it.
Miss it hell I love it as it’s the buttered popcorn of the veggie world
One of us oldsters has to mention them

Blackjack, Beeman's, and Clove gums.
Junk food catagory:

Candy cigarettes
Wax figures with juice inside
Pop Rocks
Screaming Yellow Zonkers
Wallaby Squash-soda pop
Bugles

Regular food:
Mom's New Mexico style enchiladas
Chicken cacciatore and ravioli Sunday dinners at Grandparents
Aunt Terri's raspberry sour cream jello mold at Thanksgiving
Grandma Molly's fried chicken & donuts.
Grandpa Joes fresh grapes from his vines.
Posted By: Geno67 Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/04/22
Big League Chew

Yup. I forgot about that.

My grandpa would have been disappointed if I was to throw the figs he cultivated. We had about a million pecans to slingshot around though.
Posted By: g5m Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/04/22
Originally Posted by g5m
Fried okra. Miss it.

Miss it??

Shît far and save matches, I can have us a mess fried up in less than 15 mins if’n I grab a flash light and a steak knife.

Get the grease hot

I tossed 30-40 horns over the fence couple hours ago. Skip one day and they get too tough.
Life too short to eat tough fat okry

A couple thousand miles closer and you'd have a chance to do just that!
Posted By: Slope77 Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/04/22
Chicken and dumplings.

Fried squash blossoms

Pies - peach, rhubarb custard, pear, apple

Round steak in mushroom gravy.

Kohlrabi

Peas from the pod

Raw potato

Homemade doughnuts
Tongue in Cheek -

Yukon Jack with a snip of Roses lime Juice - i.e. a Snake bite (shot)…

smile
My mom made these orange rolls that were truly, amazingly good
I work close to a convenience store that sells Zotz- remember those? Hard candy in the outside and in the inside was this acidic powder that would foam in your mouth.

I agree on candy cigarettes

Milk duds

Pixi-stix!!
Posted By: Raeford Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/04/22
Grandma's homemade mater soup with fresh limas[in the soup].
All from her garden
Originally Posted by g5m
Fried okra. Miss it.

We make that every once in awhile. We just buy the sliced packages of frozen cut okra and thaw it out. Rinse it and toss in seasoned flour then deep fry until golden brown.

I never had okra until I met and married my wife and she only had it when a friend of hers from the south came and stayed with her a couple years earlier. She made fried chicken and okra for my wife and the okra was a hit that became a part of our culinary repertoire.
Originally Posted by Slope77
Chicken and dumplings.

Fried squash blossoms

Pies - peach, rhubarb custard, pear, apple

Round steak in mushroom gravy.

Kohlrabi

Peas from the pod

Raw potato

Homemade doughnuts

All sounds good except for Kohlrabi and anything made from rhubarbs. 🤮

Never been hungry enough to try raw taters.
Fried, Baked, or Mashed is the only way to go. 😬
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by g5m
Fried okra. Miss it.

We make that every once in awhile. We just buy the sliced packages of frozen cut okra and thaw it out. Rinse it and toss in seasoned flour then deep fry until golden brown.

I never had okra until I met and married my wife and she only had it when a friend of hers from the south came and stayed with her a couple years earlier. She made fried chicken and okra for my wife and the okra was a hit that became a part of our culinary repertoire.

Ace, try frying the Okra dipped in cornmeal instead of flour. Much better on squash & zucchini too, IMO.
Posted By: Huncho Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/05/22
My aunt's Meat pie was the best. Bless her soul.
Cream on cornflakes
My mom’s butterscotch pie with meringue top !!!!!! I can still taste 👅 it !!!!
Posted By: Seefire Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/05/22
Fur pie
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Tastes from your childhood - 08/05/22
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by g5m
Fried okra. Miss it.

Ace, try frying the Okra dipped in cornmeal instead of flour. Much better on squash & zucchini too, IMO.

Both are good.
My mother was a baker, not a great cook.

Tart cherry pies, peach or blueberry pies. Cinnamon tolls using lard.

When she cooked fish, you could almost use it to hammer nails. I didn’t realize fish was good to eat until my 20’s.

Also fried whole smelt were good. Had these at a neighbors, loved them!
© 24hourcampfire