Home
What's yours?
I've always used Kingsford, the regular kind; just looking for a change maybe.
Cowboy lump charcoal from Costco.
Kingford Match-light, I love the chemical taste it infuses into the meat.
I use Royal Oak briquettes more often than not.
I am a fan of Jealous Devil.

We have to order it so I stock up once or twice a year.

Last shipment was 140lbs and showed up on a Saturday evening.

The ol' FedEx lady was glad I was home to unload the chit...lol
I just use regular firewood. Normally Oak or Pecan.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/eaT2OZ7.jpg?1[/img]
I only use Artisanal Firewood.
I only use mesquite!

Choo choo!
30lb Royal Oak bag $19 at Walnut.
Originally Posted by TonyRumore

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Need to remove everything after the .jpg

Bolded in the below quote.

Originally Posted by TonyRumore

[img]https://i.imgur.com/eaT2OZ7.jpg?1[/img]
Rockwood lump charcoal. My buddies and I buy 3-4 pallets a year from the factory.
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Rockwood lump charcoal. My buddies and I buy 3-4 pallets a year from the factory.

I know why it’s called Rockwood cause every time I use it, I find a dang rock in my BGE. I won’t use it anymore.
Mesquite wood, best there is, aged Pecan good too!
I slum the kingsford for every day jobs like burgers and chicken when I get home from work.

Royal Oak with hickory chips for smoking
Pecan wood for the win
Rockwood or cowboy lump. Neighbor let me have more pecan wood than I'll ever use.
Kingsford if Im feeling super lazy

Mostly oak and hickory slabs, real coals

I cut down 2 18” chestnut trees in February. Bout 50 fr tall. Extra branchy.

Also have a 15-16” apple tree on the ground right now I need to go bring down from great grandma’s old plant. Wind blew it over last wet snow we had.
Been using the Kingsford Hickory infused lately with good success. I’ve heard that Royal Oak is good, but I’ve never tried it.
If they could make some hickory or mesquite infused kerosene that’d be dope
Kingsford + whole container of lighter fluid
Cowboy or royal oak lump charcoal. Bge is great too,but I moved and lost my dealer connection.
B&B
Originally Posted by slumlord
If they could make some hickory or mesquite infused kerosene that’d be dope

#genius
Strickland - fastest lighting, up to cooking temp in minutes!
Charcoal brickettes were invented by Henry Ford, and Thomas Edison.

Ford sold it to a distance cousin, named Kingsford.
Mixture of Kingsfotd briquettes and royal oak lump. Ratios dependent on what I have on hand at the time.
Is it me, or does Kingsford tend to burn much more quickly than it used to? Are they making the bricks smaller, with larger indents?
Originally Posted by RogueHunter
Is it me, or does Kingsford tend to burn much more quickly than it used to? Are they making the bricks smaller, with larger indents?
It's not just you. I don't know what's going on, but the Kingsford I have gotten in the past couple of years just doesn't seem to perform like it used to.
Kingsford or Royal Oak…I avoid off-brand briquettes that are very likely to use coal dust as a binder. I use hickory or mesquite chunks or whatever else I might have for smoke. I have used lump charcoal, but for the small amount my Weber kettle uses and the need to control somewhat carefully, I find briquettes most useful, especially for extended smoking burns like pork shoulders or big roasts.
I have always use Kingsford. Never saw a reason to change? Maybe it's possible that I'm missing out.
Royal Oak lump and or briquettes, depending on the what/how
Tried using some Royal Oak I had left over from last fall when BBQing last week and couldn't keep the stuff lit and never did get any real heat out of it. Got so pissed off I found a half bag of Kingsford in the garage and put that on top of the Royal Oak and lit it off. Got hot very quickly- even quicker than normal I thought- and cooked my Pork Loin roast perfectly.

I remember needing some charcoal last summer and buying the Royal Oak because it was on sale at Home depot but that is the last time . Kingsford for me from now on. If it burns a bit too fast for you, just get it going and when you are ready to start cooking a long cook like a roast or something put fresh charcoal on top of the hot coals and it will extend the cook for a couple hours if you maintain your draft.

One thing I did to help me with my grilling was to buy one of those temp gauges for charcoal grills on Amazon and install it in the lid of my Weber. Makes it easy to check and maintain your temps for cooking. My son gave me a ThermoPro heat probe set for keeping track of my meat temps and it works perfectly. No more dried out roast, turkey breast, or other meats...
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
It's not just you. I don't know what's going on, but the Kingsford I have gotten in the past couple of years just doesn't seem to perform like it used to.

Kingsford sh.it the bed, briquettes are much less dense than the past and burn up quick.

Been using B&B briquettes for two seasons now, night and day difference. ACE carries it in store around here but its sold elsewhere.

Been happy with the B&B lump as well.
I don’t grill very often so have not developed a preference for what I use for general sort of grilling.

But my wife will sometimes want steaks grilled directly on the coals and it seems that charcoal choice makes a big difference for that. We prefer the black bag stuff from Fogo in that application.
Nakedwhiz.com

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm
Royal Oak for me.
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

Kingsford sh.it the bed, briquettes are much less dense than the past and burn up quick.

I'll pile on Kingsford here and agree. Doesn't last like it used to.
The kind that comes in a paper sack.
Originally Posted by hanco
Mesquite wood, best there is, aged Pecan good too!
Yep, that would be first choice. Second would be HEB mesquite charcoal.
Anybody remember this stuff?:

[Linked Image from digital.archives.alabama.gov]

Ole Diz charcoal (Dizzy Dean)

It has been many years, but I got a bag of some of that and I believe it was fireproof.
Math, I've seen it in St, Louis.
Royal Oak hardwood lump or oak and pecan logs. I can pick up all the pecan I will ever need.
Originally Posted by mathman
Anybody remember this stuff?:

[Linked Image from digital.archives.alabama.gov]

Ole Diz charcoal (Dizzy Dean)

It has been many years, but I got a bag of some of that and I believe it was fireproof.

Can hear him now "Ya see that! He slud right in theahr!!
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I am a fan of Jealous Devil.

Good stuff.
Live 10 miles from the town where they were born, Kingsford,Mi. I da UP eh. Ford Motor Co. had a huge plant there, fact in 1925 it employed over 7,000 people. Much of the car was then made of wood, frames, wheels, etc., so what to do with all the sawdust. Mr. Ford decided to make charcoal brickets out of it.
I`ve never used anything else.
I have a 100% stainless Sarka propane grill. The grill itself is awesome but the burner design sucks azz. I installed a high pressure turkey fryer burner which works much better but usually just load it with charcoal.
We've tried several varieties of lump and briquettes. Most work fine but match light is terrible. We use a charcoal chimney for lighting.
My son makes charcoal with a modified 55 gallon barrel but it burns hot and fast.
I've had good luck with about every brand of lump charcoal and is my preferred. Will use briquettes of I have to, but don't like it as I don't like all of the ash it creates.

If you are doing a hot cook, load up with smaller pieces of lump. IME, it gets hotter, faster.
Originally Posted by BRISTECD

I know why it’s called Rockwood cause every time I use it, I find a dang rock in my BGE. I won’t use it anymore.

Yep, but I also have found it in every brand I have ever used. They scoop the charcoal out of the ovens with skid steers so sometimes things get picked up. I have a 5 gallon bucket that's about half full of rocks, nails, plumbers strap, etc. The worst I ever had was a piece of a plastic milk jug in Royal Oak. Took me several cooks to get that smell/taste out of my cooker. Royal Oak and Cowboy are hands down the worst. Stinky, dirty smoke.....I think a lot of Cowboy's wood comes from building scrap. Really good site below for charcoal ratings.

Charcoal Database
kingsford

but in my bge, bge lump or fogo, that fogo may be the best lump out there in my opinion.
Royal Oak and Cowboy are hands down the worst. Stinky, dirty smoke.....I think a lot of Cowboy's wood comes from building scrap.

My experience as well, never knew tree branches grew 1 1/2" x 3 1/2". laugh
I make my own for quick lite fast grill- steaks. It looks like sticks of artist charcoal, which is really what I make. For slow cook buy lump oak.
Originally Posted by BRISTECD

Yep, but I also have found it in every brand I have ever used. They scoop the charcoal out of the ovens with skid steers so sometimes things get picked up. I have a 5 gallon bucket that's about half full of rocks, nails, plumbers strap, etc. The worst I ever had was a piece of a plastic milk jug in Royal Oak. Took me several cooks to get that smell/taste out of my cooker. Royal Oak and Cowboy are hands down the worst. Stinky, dirty smoke.....I think a lot of Cowboy's wood comes from building scrap. Really good site below for charcoal ratings.

Charcoal Database

I bought two bags of Cowboy lump to use in a reverse flow smoker. Both bags were charred tongue and groove flooring scraps.
All I have around here for trees are Chinese Elm and Cottonwood, so I use whatever charcoal briquettes they have in stock for my PBC (Pit Barrel Cooker). Then buy some chunks of hardwood if I want some different flavors to throw on top. I've tried hardwood lump in my PBC, but it doesn't work as well as briquettes for long smokes.

I've tried grilling on my PBC, but you have to have long grilling utensils or asbestos gloves. The grill grate just sets too far down inside the barrel, and I've got temps close to 700⁰ at the grate. Hands get a little warm if your tools are a little short!
Isn’t all charcoal really the same?

Ground up furniture and crap?
Propane
Our good guy Ranger Green brought me a whole scheidt load a couple of summers back. It's just the wife and I so I'm still working on it.

Lazzari lump. It's mesquite from Mexico and it works just fine. Tracy brought up some bags of hardwood chunks, about all we have around here is juniper, nearest good supply of oak is about an hour, hour and a half drive, so his hickory, apple and stuff comes in handy to mellow out the mesquite a bit.

And, for good measure the dude brought me a couple of bags of Kingsford ( Royal Oak maybe) onion and garlic briquettes.

Thanks again Tracy, and if you're ever in the area give me a day's notice to pull something out of the freezer and we'll have dinner!
I use Kingsford for quick cooks, like steak, burgers, or salmon. I use B&B for long cooks like briskets or ribs. The B&B lasts much longer and seems to ash less. I just grilled some fresh coho with the Kingsford along with a chunk of alder I cut up. Grilled up perfect.
B&B lump mesquite lump to start then mesquite wood or oak once in a while.
© 24hourcampfire