Home
Ain’t never been asked on the 24 hr Dumpsterfire! ( And ought to get Slumlord a-goin’)

Anyone here still saucer their coffee??

Or tea?

Or Ovaltine???

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I can still remember my Maternal Great Grandparents doing that when I was a kid.
When coffee was boiled or came from a percolator.

Like chlin said ain't seen no one do it since Grandparents.

Holdover from before ice was common.
No one in at least 2 generations, preceding me, has ever saucered a hot drink AFAIK.
We all seem to like it HOT !!! laugh
Never,you 'd get slapped but good for such bad table manners.
My grandfather was the last person I've seen do that. He would be 109 now. It was a pretty common site watching all the farmers sit around the local cafe in the morning and play pitch.

Mike
Slurp.
Does a coaster count?

Kent
I don’t even know what that means……
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Thank you! I thought I was the only one.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
No , I drink it hot .
Hell, I pour a cup and then give it 30 sec in the microwave.
I remember seeing my granddad and his brothers drink their coffee that way. Saw my dad do it a time or two, way back when.
Been many years since seeing that done.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ole Red Steagall , C&W Artist, who’s big hit in the 1970’s was “Lone Star Beer & Bob Wills Music”
And noted Cowboy Poet, Author, and Radio & TV Show host, used to end all of programs with the quote:
“Well Boys, Looks Like We’ve Got This One Sausered & Blowed”. Which was basically an old Cowboy saying.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Steagall

[video:youtube]
[/video]
Lots of times my peas spill off the knife into my saucer of coffee.
Yep
forgotten memories.
And ovaltine , does people still drink that stuff ?
Hell , do they still make it ?
Kenneth
Coffee sucks
Dats why gawd gave us mofos each a pair of soup coolas......
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Mashed potaters on the blade first! Then dipped in the peas!
I've seen it done; I've never done it. I drink mine hot and black.
Actually did a few nights ago with canning jars. Ladleing hot goo into the jars with a funnel. Scalding hot stewed tomatoes will burn the piss outta your fingers.

Plus it saves a mess
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

That's right! My rememberer hasn't been the same since that hoop snake chased me for a mile and a half.
When I make my daughter a cup of tea, I serve it to her on a saucer; otherwise, it will spill on the table.

That's right! My rememberer hasn't been the same since that hoop snake chased me for a mile and a half.

Damn hoop snakes! Hate their guts and livers!

Always wondered about that. When Donald Duck’s uncle or cousin wtf visited.Goosey Poosey, like to ate him outta house and home. Had them sweet peas lined up on that foot long butter knife.

I used to try that, always made a huge mess. Blue tick hound won’t eat peas.
My maternal grandfather did but more from spilling it cause his coffee cup was shaking so bad. He would drink coffee and listen to the Astros on the radio at the kitchen table at night.
My Dad , who would be 115 years old, was the last person I ever saw do that, and then only if he was in a hurry and the coffee was too hot.
I have never heard of this before now. And frankly, I have to say it's about the silliest damn thing I have ever seen.
My maternal Grandmother was a champ at that saucering. Two saucers full and that stovetop cowboy coffee would almost be cool enough to drink. Still my Sunday morning way of making coffee. Hunting camp coffee. Make you wanna holler High dee ho!
My grandfather always saucered his coffee.
My grandmother did it with coffee.

She'd make homemade biscuits from scratch every morning and make sure there was some fat back in the green beans for dinner. When I stayed with her, and we were going to eat chicken for dinner...it meant that I had to go chase down the chicken for her.

Her cupboard seemed to only have home canned goods, crisco, flour, and karo syrup. She lived North of Buford in Georgia.
Saucered and blown was how my granny did it…

"I eat my peas with honey.
I've done it all my life.
They do taste kind of funny,
but it keeps them on the knife"

Betcha haven't heard that one since grade school. laugh
Don't have to.

I start my cup when I go out to feed the chickens and the dickie birds. When I come back in it's the right temperature most times.

I hate coffee so hot it burns the tongue. In the past have made ice cubes out of coffee for when I was in hurry to drink it. Didn't lessen the strength that way.

Damn hoop snakes! Hate their guts and livers!

I agree, but at least they don't suck the milk out of the cows' bags.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I can still remember my Maternal Great Grandparents doing that when I was a kid.
…and put a sugar cube between their teeth and slurp the coffee through the cube.
Originally Posted by steve4102
…and put a sugar cube between their teeth and slurp the coffee through the cube.

Hell no. No sugar in coffee ever by any of my family. No men I know of put sugar in their coffee. Or women either.
Black coffee. The kind you could stand a horse shoe up in. 😜

My Grandmother & Mom both made sweet tea, though. Grandmother’s was like syrup. It’s a Southern thing.
Ole Red Steagall , C&W Artist, who’s big hit in the 1970’s was “Lone Star Beer & Bob Wills Music”
And noted Cowboy Poet, Author, and Radio & TV Show host, used to end all of programs with the quote:
“Well Boys, Looks Like We’ve Got This One Sausered & Blowed”

First thing I thought of.

Haven’t listened to his show in a year or so.
I like my coffee like I like my woman’s
Weak and Bitter
Originally Posted by Cheesy
“Well Boys, Looks Like We’ve Got This One Sausered & Blowed”

First thing I thought of.

Haven’t listened to his show in a year or so.

Yep. Me too. One of my favorite Cowboy Poets.

Went to a lot of Rodeos when I was young and danced the night away to Red Steagall and his Coleman County Cowboy Band, at the dances after the rodeo’s were over.
Kid I grew up with played lead guitar for Red’s band when I was in College. Got to see them perform for free at Billy Bob’s in the Ft Worth Stockyards several times in the 80’s. Heck of a good band too.
Never saw anyone anywhere drink coffee like that.
Guess I'm not from polite society.
Maternal Grand-mother and her clan.
Had to spend a lot of time with them as a kid, they had me doing
it for awhile. Mom stopped that quick!

Wasn't any drinking from a bowl or mixing of food at Mom's table.
Pap was half English/Swede, impeccable table manners and taught
his kids. His wife's family were feral, and Gram seemed to prefer
that life.
My granddad did, and I tried it a few times, not for me.
Originally Posted by 160user

Me either. I guess that is why back in the day you would be served coffee with a cup and saucer. Everyone drinks coffee out of big mugs these days.
Originally Posted by RJY66
Originally Posted by 160user

Me either. I guess that is why back in the day you would be served coffee with a cup and saucer. Everyone drinks coffee out of big mugs these days.

Yeah, who uses a saucer? I know we have some, someplace, but the only time they see the outside of a cabinet might be at Christmas, for company. A cup that fits on a saucer won’t hold enough coffee to suit me, and lets the coffee get cold way too fast.
When I ask my wife to fetch me some more coffee, sometimes she comes back with “do you want it saucered and blowed” or some such smart asset comment. When you’re the Kang, you don’t cotton to such schit.
Never heard of it before yesterday evening. My 85 year old MIL said her uncle used to drink his coffee from a saucer.
Nothing worse than cold coffee! sick

Saucering it would just speed that up.

I use an insulated stainless steel mug as it is.... If they came with a built in heater, I'd buy one! laugh
Grandma hit the boards at 3:30 to have coffee on by 4:15 before the men went out to milk. Had that big ol' percolator on the front "eye", she would pour it direct into the saucer as she plodded about in her apron to make the sourdough biscuits, country ham, eggs and sausage (you could smell the biscuits from the barn). By the time you had the cans rolled to the pickup point it was on the table. Grandpa drank his straight from the cup.
Coffee sucks!

So does Beretta!
Never heard of that, I always assumed the saucer was used as a coaster.
Things you learn at the campfire, Interesting.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I use an insulated stainless steel mug as it is.... If they came with a built in heater, I'd buy one! laugh

I like my coffee hot, but not as hot as my grandpa did. He'd pour a fresh cup from their BUNN and stick it in the microwave for 30-45 sec.

"Hot enough to melt your toenails."
Coffee cup and saucer, never saw coffee served any other way by my maternal grandmother's. Her oldest and youngest sons lived with her then and that's the only way I ever saw them drink coffee. They'd pour a little into the saucer, blow on it for a few seconds to cool it down, sip some from saucer, then repeat. A little "cowboy" coffee went in the red-eye gravy.

Grandma made three kinds of coffee every morning with breakfast -- percolator, boiled (cowboy coffee) and a kettle with boiling water for decaf instant. Youngest son had half of his stomach removed (ulcer surgery) and was only supposed to drink decaf.

They'd usually sit around drinking coffee for a little while after finishing breakfast and talk about country stuff -- crops, fishing, hunting, guns, good/no good hunting dogs, good /bad hunting areas, numbers of quail, squirrel, rabbits they and folks they knew had killed so far...
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Slurp.

Make your you wipe your chin.
Saw it done once, the guy was in a hurry to leave the house and wanted to finish it fast. Heck, I don't even see saucers anymore, much less anyone using one to speed up the caffeine intake.
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I like my coffee hot, but not as hot as my grandpa did. He'd pour a fresh cup from their BUNN and stick it in the microwave for 30-45 sec.

"Hot enough to melt your toenails."

I nuke my coffee too. Like to see it bubbling when I take it from the m'wave. Unfortunately, sometimes I leave it too long and it overflows the mug. Fine art to knowing when to remove it.
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Slurp.

Make your you wipe your chin.

Now you did it... Nobody tells the Eyeball when to wipe his hard earned gains off.
As a kid I saw saucering quite a bit...my guess is, times were harder, and folks used a small amount of coffee grounds (expensive) and a lot of water (cheap) and boiled the living hell out of it to get every last bit of good out of the grounds. Nowadays people who actually like good coffee...don't allow it to come to a boil...ever. The first logging camp I lived and worked out of, the second batch of morning coffee, the old grounds were left in and the new grounds and water were added and the mess boiled again. Note I use the word boiled, not perked, not brewed.
I recall either batch as being hot, bitter as gall, and black as hell...a lot of sugar and milk was used. Food was good, plenty of it, but nothing was wasted. As an example, Bake day was Sunday night and Wednesday, leftover stale bread was used to make big pans of bread and fruit pudding, which was great stuff, but just showed nothing was wasted. After breakfast we made our own lunches at the "spike table" mainly leftovers, porkchops, chicken, meatloaf etc bread, rat cheese and condiments and mountains of hard boiled eggs. Mostly us young single guys lived in camp and the married older guys commuted from home. We secretly felt sorry for them, what pitiful lunches most of them had.
My mother always served coffee on a saucer. If I had anything more interesting to add I would. But it looks as if Hunter's Campfire is dredging very close to the bottom now.
Running trotlines as a kid, the old guy just got the coffee water
outta the lake. We would run lines about every 4 hours 24hrs a day.
The pot was on the fire continously. Tasted good.
No

Same here 😊
I aint never made a fortuneand its probably to late now.
But I dont worry bout that much, I am happy anyhow.

And as I go along lifes way, I'm reapin' better than I sowed.
I am drinkin' from my saucer, cause my cup has overflowed.
My dad whom would be 105 this year would occasionally use a saucer & cup. He seemed to almost make it like a ritual or something. Made me think it reminded him of someone. Of course he usually drank & ate slow & deliberate.

The peas on the butter knife ? LOL, thought that was only a quirk my born in 1888 maternal grandfather had. My mom didn't even know why he did that, that I can remember.
Originally Posted by mathman
Hell, I pour a cup and then give it 30 sec in the microwave.

I nuke mine for 45 seconds.
It gots to be hot!
I've never saucered
My grandpa did. I can remember in the early
70's him doing that. My folks never did.
I never have. I guess the only bad coffee
habit I inherited was not washing the coffee
pot or the good drinking cups. That and using
the once used grounds with a spoon of fresh
sprinkled on top. I also reheat coffee most of
the time
© 24hourcampfire