Home
Posted By: Esox357 What caused this.....bear - 08/03/22
]]https://postimg.cc/gallery/CVR7dTv

Walking in woods, I found these marks in the tree. I wondered possible black bear? But the trees I've seen with bear usually have long scratches with it?
Posted By: BC30cal Re: What caused this.....bear - 08/03/22
Esox357;
Top of the morning, I hope that the day's behaving thus far for you and you're well.

While I'm no expert on anything really, that looks like woodpecker damage to me.

In our part of BC where there's Pine Beetle problems, the various woodpeckers will peel the bark back and eat the bugs underneath.

They won't always deep drill the tree.

We've got a big Doug Fir on our property that's been peeled and punched over the decades like that, but it's still alive and well - perhaps because the bugs have been taken out?

As always, that's a guess on my part and again as always, there's a good probability I'm not correct.

All the best.

Dwayne
Posted By: Raeford Re: What caused this.....bear - 08/03/22
Agree with BC30
Posted By: Windfall Re: What caused this.....bear - 08/03/22
Some kid with a handgun and lots of ammunition to waste would be my guess.
Originally Posted by Raeford
Agree with BC30

👍
Yep, woodpecker.
Posted By: TimZ Re: What caused this.....bear - 08/03/22
Bigfoot scratching his back?
Posted By: badger Re: What caused this.....bear - 08/03/22
Watching a woodpecker get serious on a tree infested with grubs or larvae is quite eye opening. I wonder how they don't get dain bramage smile .

That tree certainly looks like it was molested by an hungry woodpecker.
Peckerwood…..trying out his pecker!!
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: What caused this.....bear - 08/03/22
Shooting
Woodpecker
A diseased tree with woodpeckers attacking the insects.
The Beatles are back.
Originally Posted by badger
Watching a woodpecker get serious on a tree infested with grubs or larvae is quite eye opening. I wonder how they don't get dain bramage smile .

That tree certainly looks like it was molested by an hungry woodpecker.
A lot of scientists spent a lot of time trying to answer that. It's even been researched in effort to build a better football helmet.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: What caused this.....bear - 08/03/22
Good afternoon Sir,

Thank you for your education on this. I had to laugh at myself for thinking a bear. I was hopeful since this is an area where I will be bear hunting.

Best Regards!
The carpenter bee drills a little 3/8 inch wide hole, and the GD woodpecker attacks that hole to eat larvae. I got 4 or 5 places like that on my log cabin.
© 24hourcampfire