Home
Posted By: dale06 Pen raised pheasants - 08/06/22
Thinking of transporting a dozen or so rooster pheasants 800 miles, 1.5 days in small cages in my truck. They would be released and hunted shortly after release. Would be in November so temps 30-60 degrees.
Is it feasible to travel that distance without food and water?
Any issues crossing state lines?
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Pen raised pheasants - 08/06/22
Why not buy them frozen and throw a few clays?
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Pen raised pheasants - 08/06/22
Originally Posted by dale06
Thinking of transporting a dozen or so rooster pheasants 800 miles, 1.5 days in small cages in my truck. They would be released and hunted shortly after release. Would be in November so temps 30-60 degrees.

I’d put some food and water in the cage for transport. I wouldn’t expect to have live healthy birds after virtually 2 days without food or water.

My answer is NO I don’t think it’s feasible to do without food or water.

We feed our chickens a premium, no soy feed called Scratch and Peck which is not pellets but rather seed. Our flock has never had an issue and are extremely healthy. I think wild birds get a higher protein number in their feed but the S&P layer would be fine for them. If you need a pound or 2 for your trip just PM me your address and I’ll get it sent.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Pen raised pheasants - 08/06/22
Better check the regs on crossing state lines.

There are rules for all sorts of livestock, fish even, so I bet birds better be certified healthy and you better have a certificate in your hand.

Why not look for a place in the State you're heading to for you pheasants. Kills two problems at once, keeping them alive on the drive and the inspection deal.

If you do transport them, I'm with Aces. You better feed and water them. Birds have high metabolisms and will at a minimum need water. They may be pretty lethargic at the release site if you don't feed them also.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Pen raised pheasants - 08/06/22
Whenever we bought live pheasants to train dogs, and had to drive over an hour, we'd buy 2x the number we needed because 1/2 would be dead when arriving. Of course this was in the summer, so different conditions, but those pen raised birds are fragile.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Pen raised pheasants - 08/06/22
Thanks guys. Been trying to find some at my destination, with zero luck.
Think I’ll keep looking, or scrap the whole plan.
Where I hunt, western Ks used to be great numbers of them. Since the drought and extreme hot summer of 2012, they’ve been very scarce. This years drought and heat likely will kill what few that exist.
Again, thanks for the comments.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Pen raised pheasants - 08/06/22
PM me Dale.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Pen raised pheasants - 08/06/22
Possible diseases could affect wild birds. I'm pretty sure it is prohibited. I would check local laws.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Pen raised pheasants - 08/06/22
Originally Posted by dale06
Thinking of transporting a dozen or so rooster pheasants 800 miles, 1.5 days in small cages in my truck. They would be released and hunted shot shortly after release. Would be in November so temps 30-60 degrees.

Fixed it for you.
Bring a bag of corn and give them a last meal. They won't fly so fast on a full stomach.
I wouldn’t think that it would be overly hard to find some birds in the area that you plan to release them. I’ve bought everything from quail to pigeons and pheasants on Craigslist without ever having to travel very far. It might be easier though to just go to a preserve and spend a few more dollars.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Pen raised pheasants - 08/06/22
Beaver Creek Gamebirds, Atwood, KS......
Posted By: dale06 Re: Pen raised pheasants - 08/06/22
Thanks Huntsman!
I’ll check that place.
Posted By: hanco Re: Pen raised pheasants - 08/06/22
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Why not buy them frozen and throw a few clays?

Pen raised birds aren’t fun to shoot, won’t fly for cshit!
Posted By: blanket Re: Pen raised pheasants - 08/07/22
Find a wild bird hunt
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Pen raised pheasants - 08/07/22
I couldn’t justify dragging a dozen or so birds 800 miles to just kill them.

Gotta be decent bird hunting within 800 miles? Or at least a preserve.

To answer your question about transporting the birds. I’ve only ever driven maybe 100-120 miles with birds(chukars and pigeons) for training. The temps were a bit warmer as well. I’d think they’re be fine if they had access to water and the cages covered with a tarp or canvas.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Pen raised pheasants - 08/07/22
Thanks guys.
I can shoot pen raised birds or sporting clays 20 miles from my house, and do so on occasion.
I was trying to find some birds to release and shoot on our family farm in Ks with my brothers.
The place used to be loaded with wild birds, but several hot and dry summers killed off almost all the wild birds.
Since my original post earlier today, several of you have PMed me with leads on some pen birds.
Again, thanks
© 24hourcampfire