Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck New old timey photo - 08/10/22
Just for the fun of it. This photo was in our paper today, taken yesterday. This old boy has been farming that same patch with the same tractor and equipment for 35 years.

[Linked Image from bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com]
Posted By: VinceM Re: New old timey photo - 08/10/22
that looks like a Ford tractor
Posted By: wabigoon Re: New old timey photo - 08/10/22
Looks like a Massy to me.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: New old timey photo - 08/10/22
It looks like he put new shoes on it recently.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: New old timey photo - 08/10/22
That’s some thick assed hay for a second cutting!!!
Ford 8n I think. Repainted.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: New old timey photo - 08/10/22
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: New old timey photo - 08/10/22
Husqvarna with a 5.9 Duramax
Posted By: JamesJr Re: New old timey photo - 08/10/22
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Looks like a Massy to me.

Yeah, looks like a Massey, maybe a Massey Harris, before they become Massey Ferguson.
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: New old timey photo - 08/10/22
Reminds me of my uncle .
He used one of them little ford tractors up until a few years ago , don’t recall what year the tractor was , but he had had it for as long as I can remember.
Stacked a shiet load of hay behind that thing .
He continued using that type of rake too along with a side mower .
Last couple years he broke down an got an international and a hay conditioner .
Still took a spell for him to go to round bales
98 now and still got a pet bull and couple cows he likes to keep .
Kenneth
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: New old timey photo - 08/10/22
Looks like a MF 35 with a 3 cylinder Perkins diesel to me.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: New old timey photo - 08/10/22
I've not had one, I've heard those Perkins engines run cheap.
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: New old timey photo - 08/10/22
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Looks like a MF 35 with a 3 cylinder Perkins diesel to me.
Indeed there's a set of fuel filters right there in plain sight.
Posted By: papat Re: New old timey photo - 08/10/22
I have a gas 35. Enjoy the crap out of it.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: New old timey photo - 08/10/22
Originally Posted by gregintenn
That’s some thick assed hay for a second cutting!!!
Look at the windrow behind the tractor. It's pretty small. I think the photographer knelt down to take it so he was shooting right over the top of a windrow. It makes the hay look a lot bigger. Kind of like the camera tricks used to make a game animal look a lot bigger.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: New old timey photo - 08/10/22
Cool picture
Posted By: Raeford Re: New old timey photo - 08/10/22
Gettin it done!

Old school
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: New old timey photo - 08/10/22
He's high falutin'.

Has an exhaust flapper on it in lieu of a Folgers can. laugh
Posted By: IZH27 Re: New old timey photo - 08/11/22
My maternal grandfather bought a gasoline and diesel MF 35’s in the early 60’s. My uncle has them and they run and do their job still. Neat pic.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: New old timey photo - 08/11/22
Here's me last winter,...or maybe the winter before last.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: New old timey photo - 08/11/22
Yes, it is a Massey Ferguson diesel.

Ford 9N, 8N, nor 2N did not come in diesel. Ford grills have vertical slats. Ferguson grills have horizontal slats. The clutch pedal is also a dead give-away.
Ferguson TO 35
[Linked Image from ]

Ford 8N

[Linked Image from tractordata.com]
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: New old timey photo - 08/11/22
GrandDad used to have an old Farmall Diesel Tractor.
You had to start it on gasoline, then switch over to diesel.
Anyone remember those ?
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Here's me last winter,...or maybe the winter before last.

That has been me, more winters than I can remember since about 1966. A mile of snow to plow before you hit a county road.

Until recently. Upgraded to a John Deere 4020 (96 HP) with an IH 8 foot hydraulic adjustable blade. The new blade just might weigh as much as the old Ford.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Anyone remember those ?
We had a couple John Deere tractors in the family which I am sure started on gasoline. And my Uncles IH TD9 crawler started on gasoline also. It is still in use today with a Holt dozer clearing snow on the feed grounds in the winter and pulling a disc plow in summer.
Posted By: Biebs Re: New old timey photo - 08/11/22
America was built on 2WD :-)
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: New old timey photo - 08/11/22
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Anyone remember those ?
We had a couple John Deere tractors in the family which I am sure started on gasoline. And my Uncles IH TD9 crawler started on gasoline also. It is still in use today with a Holt dozer clearing snow on the feed grounds in the winter and pulling a disc plow in summer.

Yep. GrandDad’s was still running when we sold it 30 something years ago. He also had an old Farmall or Massey Ferguson that you started with a hand crank like on a Model T.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: New old timey photo - 08/11/22
My first thought was Massey. The whole issue was smothered by the sight of the damned hay and the triggering of the memory of my undiluted hatred for baling.
That has been me, more winters than I can remember since about 1966. A mile of snow to plow before you hit a county road.

Until recently. Upgraded to a John Deere 4020 (96 HP) with an IH 8 foot hydraulic adjustable blade. The new blade just might weigh as much as the old Ford.

My wife took that picture and it made me look so much like my Grandfather that my brother did an aging process on it on his computer. My Grandfather had an 8N also.
Many people know,..but the reason the early Massie Fergusons and the early Fords look so much alike is because Ford and Harry Ferguson were business partners before Ferguson went out on his own.

Harry Ferguson designed the three point hitch that Ford used,...and is still used today.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Just for the fun of it. This photo was in our paper today, taken yesterday. This old boy has been farming that same patch with the same tractor and equipment for 35 years.

RC, would that, by any chance be the Twin Falls sugar factory in the background?

Irrigated ground? 2'nd cutting is surprisingly heavy to those used to dryland farming.
Posted By: slumlord Re: New old timey photo - 08/11/22
Long sleeves, a scotty vest

Knee high rubbers

And catching alla tractor heat too lol

He on blood thinners or something?? Sheesh

Tell me it’s 50 degrees and I’ll understand
Many people know,..but the reason the early Massie Fergusons and the early Fords look so much alike is because Ford and Harry Ferguson were business partners before Ferguson went out on his own.

Harry Ferguson designed the three point hitch that Ford used,...and is still used today.
Quoted as the biggest "handshake deal" in the history of business. No lawyers, no paperwork, just two men with the right ideas for the time and a gentleman's agreement.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: New old timey photo - 08/11/22

Quoted as the biggest "handshake deal" in the history of business. No lawyers, no paperwork, just two men with the right ideas for the time and a gentleman's agreement.

How did things work out between those two gentlemen when Ferguson went out on his own?
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: New old timey photo - 08/11/22

RC, would that, by any chance be the Twin Falls sugar factory in the background?

Irrigated ground? 2'nd cutting is surprisingly heavy to those used to dryland farming.
I'm not sure but I think those are Amalgamated's silos. They have some that look very much like that anyway.

Dry land farming? Not here. It's irrigate or watch it blow away.
Originally Posted by 5sdad

How did things work out between those two gentlemen when Ferguson went out on his own?

https://www.antiquepower.com/normal-blog/2015/8/3/harry-ferguson-and-the-three-point-hitch
Ford started using the Ferguson System in '38. Ferguson introduced the TO20 in '46.

Ferguson probably used the income from Ford to build his own company.

I'm not sure but I think those are Amalgamated's silos. They have some that look very much like that anyway.
I am not sure. I last saw them in 1982. I know the Paul factory does not have that style silos.

But I understood the area around the TF factory was more developed than that picture shows. Thus my question. And I have not found an image on Google with the proper perspective to confirm.

I do not know. Perhaps they are grain silos.
I was cutting trees and dragging them to the process area with a '52 8N today.

Lucky you. You got the best one they ever built. Previous models had the coil and distributor mounted on the bottom front of the engine (I think on the end of the cam shaft). Adjusting points, or even changing out a distributor cap is an exercise in frustration, leaving one wishing for a pet orangutan trained to wrench on motors.
,...wearing this shirt.

Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: New old timey photo - 08/11/22
My Great Uncle bought a New Ferguson 35 gas after retiring from farming... When i was 4 or 5 yrs old in the late 60's, He tipped it over on a hillside (he was 90 something?)... He broke his shoulder and caught pneumonia in the hospital and died...

I am not sure. I last saw them in 1982. I know the Paul factory does not have that style silos.

But I understood the area around the TF factory was more developed than that picture shows. Thus my question. And I have not found an image on Google with the proper perspective to confirm.

I do not know. Perhaps they are grain silos.
His name is K.C. Bartholomew. I found his place on OnX and he's less than a mile from Amalgamated. Amalg has a bunch of those silos but OnX shows them in a different layout and it's the wrong angle. I can't put it together. OnX does show that row of houses between them, though.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: New old timey photo - 08/11/22
Anyone remember those ?

We called them pony motors
Posted By: LouisB Re: New old timey photo - 08/11/22
Is that hay dry and still that green or is he raking GREEN hay?

Looks like a heck of a cutting and especially if that is a second cutting!
Look at the windrows behind the tractor. They're very sparse. The foreground hay is a low angle camera trick by the photographer.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Anyone remember those ?

We called them pony motors
No, not pony motors. A pony motor is a separate gas fired starting motor.

Refrrenced here is an internal combustion engine with an electric starter. It is a low compression diesel engine with spark plugs. It initially fires on gas from a small auxilliary tank. Once the engine gets warm, you open the valve on the diesel tank, and shut off the gas.
Originally Posted by LouisB
Is that hay dry and still that green or is he raking GREEN hay?

Looks like a heck of a cutting and especially if that is a second cutting!
Our hay is dry, and still that green after it is baled.

The outside of the stack will get sun bleached after a week or two.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: New old timey photo - 09/03/22
Saddlsore, that is a little different from a pony motor.

Pony motor was a seperate gas motor that one started , usually 2 cylinder , as I remember , on Cat dozers. When it was warmed up , one would kick

a pawl over and the diesel engine would rotate ....after oil pressure built up you would give her fuel and she should start sputtering.

We had several diesels that started on gas then you would turn the diesel over and get it started. All the same engine. Had an old Galion blade like

that.

Right on Idaho shooter.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: New old timey photo - 09/03/22

On what? A Mustang?
Posted By: Distridr Re: New old timey photo - 09/03/22
Anyone remember those ?

My hand start 39 JD B is like that. Has two tanks, the smaller is for gas, the larger is for kerosene or distillate. Those were cheaper back then.

I've heard (FWIW) that it requires kero or dist and will not run on diesel. I haven't tried anything other than gas.
Posted By: Hastings Re: New old timey photo - 09/03/22
Originally Posted by Distridr
Anyone remember those ?

My hand start 39 JD B is like that. Has two tanks, the smaller is for gas, the larger is for kerosene or distillate. Those were cheaper back then.

I've heard (FWIW) that it requires kero or dist and will not run on diesel. I haven't tried anything other than gas.
There were still a few of those old 2 tank tractors around in my day. The little tank was real gas to start it and the other was called tractor fuel. It was more flammable than kerosene. One of the local ladies way back died from burns when she was using it to get a wood stove or heater going. Story was she thought it was coal oil as they called kerosene but it flamed up like gasoline and burned her all over. Maybe it set her can on fire also. anyway it was more volatile than kerosene.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: New old timey photo - 09/03/22
A friend and me used old john deere tractors to
work his hay after he moved full time to his place.
He had several A's and a G that was a coal oil
tractor. Back then, I'm guessing an electric starter
was an option. The G had a big petcock on each
side for each cylinder, and you opened those and
you'd get the big flywheel on the side spinning
by hand with the gasoline on, and it would catch
and you'd hurry up and shut the petcocks and it
would get warmed and POP-POP-POP-POP-POP
and when it got hot you turned off the gasoline
petcock and opened up the foofoo.
Whatever you do, just don't forget to turn off the
foofoo and turn the gasoline back on before you
shut it down
My last using relic tractor was a M ( or MT- I forgot)
© 24hourcampfire