Home
Trump pleads the 5th in refusing his deposition to the New York AG.

CNN, WSJ

Gonna get interesting.
Wow, that's a first for him...
Yep.

I would expect a judge to intervene fairly soon and order him to depose with significant daily fines if he continues to refuse to give his deposition.
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Yep.

I would expect a judge to intervene fairly soon and order him to depose with significant daily fines if he continues to refuse to give his deposition.
How would overriding the 5th play in here?
Yep.

Originally Posted by Godogs57
Yep.

Uhhh.. the 5th amend. is a constitutional right, the judge can't force him to speak, that's kind of the whole point of the 5th, to not give up privacy or self incrimination.
...I know, difficult concept for some.
Yep.

I would expect a judge to intervene fairly soon and order him to depose with significant daily fines if he continues to refuse to give his deposition. exercise his constitutional rights

FIFY
Toot Toot !!
If it is a Criminal Case he is not required to answer.....

...and cannot be compelled to. If I understand correctly.

Civil Case is different.......
"So there are five people taking the Fifth Amendment, like you see on the mob, right? You see the mob takes the Fifth. If you're innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?" Trump told the crowd at an Iowa rally in September 2016.
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Yep.

Yep.

Uhhh.. the 5th amend. is a constitutional right, the judge can't force him to speak, that's kind of the whole point of the 5th, to not give up privacy or self incrimination.

We will soon see.

I’m betting that a judge will try to override him pleading the 5th. Whether it works or not is to be seen.

I do recall a judge forcing him to turn over documents with a hefty daily fine but I don’t remember the outcome of it.
Originally Posted by losttrail60
"So there are five people taking the Fifth Amendment, like you see on the mob, right? You see the mob takes the Fifth. If you're innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?" Trump told the crowd at an Iowa rally in September 2016.

Because............... '...anything you say CAN and WILL be used AGAINST you...' whether you are guilty or NOT!!!!!
Yep.

If I’m not mistaken, the only way to compel testimony is to grant immunity…
Yep.

Yep.

We will soon see.

I’m betting that a judge will try to override him pleading the 5th. Whether it works or not is to be seen.

I do recall a judge forcing him to turn over documents with a hefty daily fine but I don’t remember the outcome of it.

You must be not smart… a judge cannot override 5th amendment rights.
Yep.

Yep.

We will soon see.

Remember Susan McDougal?
Her refusal to answer "three questions" for a grand jury, on whether President Bill Clinton lied in his testimony during her Whitewater trial, led her to receive a jail sentence of 18 months for contempt of court. That made up most of the total 22 months she spent incarcerated.
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Remember Susan McDougal?
Her refusal to answer "three questions" for a grand jury, on whether President Bill Clinton lied in his testimony during her Whitewater trial, led her to receive a jail sentence of 18 months for contempt of court. That made up most of the total 22 months she spent incarcerated.
I'm thinking that was because the answers obviously wouldn't have incriminated her. You can't plead the 5th without any interest.
Was McDougals testimony considered self incriminating?

If not, the constitutional rights don’t apply.
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Remember Susan McDougal?
I'm thinking that was because the answers obviously wouldn't have incriminated her. You can't plead the 5th without any interest.

She wasn't afraid of the 'Legal' consequences she was afraid of Arkancide.......
Trump should answer all these questions but hunter is protected and Biden is too, even Obama can’t be questioned. We keep watching as they demonize and drill the people that represent us.
Good for Trump.
Originally Posted by Muffin

Because............... '...anything you say CAN and WILL be used AGAINST you...' whether you are guilty or NOT!!!!!

You whiffed the point. LOL
Yep.

WTH??????????

First off, it's a "kangaroo court". They've already decided Trump is guilty, just like J6 crap going on now!
Not one "effing" soul is cross examining the (d) witnesses. "Pig"-losi wouldn't allow any true conservative onto her "Special Committee".
They could give two hoots in hell about the J6'ers, they just want to disqualify Trump for 2024!

Give me ONE CRIME that Trump can be indicted for!
Pleading the 5th Amendment can most certainly be used in civil cases, where testimony might lead to a criminal case. A judge can draw adverse inferences on the defendant but it depends on the questions asked by the prosecutor.
Avoiding a trap.
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Remember Susan McDougal?
Her answers would have most definitely incriminated her in the Whitewater affair.
Posted By: ERK Re: Trump Pleads The 5th Amendment - 08/10/22
He should pull aHitllery and just say he can’t remember. Kept her from going to jail. Edk
Originally Posted by JB in SC
Pleading the 5th Amendment can most certainly be used in civil cases, where testimony might lead to a criminal case. A judge can draw adverse inferences on the defendant but it depends on the questions asked by the prosecutor.

Sounds Reasonable..

None of US should talk to this Junta without Legal Representation..

Especially if it could lead to their Courtyard in Mordor on the Potomac..

Monkey Left the Oven Door Open
Originally Posted by centershot
Avoiding a trap.

A perjury trap is what got Flynn. He should have demanded counsel present and didn't. A stupid mistake that cost him his career.

Never trust a Federal investigator.
Yep.

Yep.

BS. You’re just ignorant, low IQ howler monkeys !
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Avoiding a trap.

A perjury trap is what got Flynn. He should have demanded counsel present and didn't. A stupid mistake that cost him his career.

Amen…Trump has finally gotten “swamp smarts”…
If my lawyer told me to plead the fifth, I'd do it.

NO, I got your point......

knowing Trump, It's likely that a DEM had said virtually the same thing not long before he did......

...he often calls out the left for not following the rules they want others to follow!

NO, I got your point......

knowing Trump, It's likely that a DEM had said virtually the same thing not long before he did......

...he often calls out the left for not following the rules they want others to follow!

However, In his own words, here's the reason.....

'...“I once asked, ‘If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?'” Trump said. “Now I know the answer to that question. When your family, your company, and all the people in your orbit have become the targets of an unfounded, politically motivated Witch Hunt supported by lawyers, prosecutors, and the Fake News Media, you have no choice.”...'
Have you had a stroke lately? Is your small and inefficient brain unable to comprehend corrupt DOJ? Or more likely are you just another lying leftist POS born to have the effects of aluminum baseball bats smashed into your head as a test for aluminum baseball bats?
Originally Posted by ErniesSalad
Yep.

Yep.

We will soon see.

Yep, ol' 2_toots, is as dumb as a bag of hammers !
Yep.

Yep.

We will soon see.

Aww crap, laughing out loud here.

And you must be not literate.

There ya go Ernestine.
Originally Posted by ERK
He should pull aHitllery and just say he can’t remember. Kept her from going to jail. Edk

Yep.

Worked well for her and for Reagan during Iran Contra.
Originally Posted by ERK

Yep.

Iran Contra was necessary. You communists don't seem to think so.
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by ERK

Yep.

Iran Contra was necessary. You communists don't seem to think so.

And I consider Oliver North a hero for taking the fall…a true American patriot…
Originally Posted by wabigoon
If my lawyer told me to plead the fifth, I'd do it.
I wouldn't even wait for instruction from counsel on pleading the 5th. Until I have counsel it's a closed mouth and only then I'm talking to an attorney or advocate. Never talk to police or any investigative agency or procescuter. Lots of people have gone down because they wanted to have heard their story or position.
You can take the 5th in a "civil" case.

If you *don't* take the 5th in a "civil" case, you can't take it later if there's a criminal prosecution.

You cannot be forced to testify, unless you have been granted complete immunity from prosecution, city, state, federal and administrative.

If you are given immunity and you won't testify, you can be jailed for the duration of the grand jury that you were supposed ta testify to (federal). usually bout 18 months.

Ol Poof is a liberal moron.
I wouldn’t give those b-tards the time of day. It might not agree with their clock.
They have colluded with Hillary. They colluded with a foreign National. They openly joked among themselves about destroying Trump.
Originally Posted by rainshot
I wouldn’t give those b-tards the time of day. It might not agree with their clock.
They have colluded with Hillary. They colluded with a foreign National. They openly joked among themselves about destroying Trump.

^^^This^^^

Hope he tells them to go Fuqk themselves.
The ignorance of some here is hard to believe.

AS ONE pointed out the only way to compel testimony is to grant immunity.

Look up Susan and comprehend the difference.

No wonder the country is in the toilet !
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Avoiding a trap.

Never trust a commie liberal^^^^^
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by rainshot

^^^This^^^

Hope he tells them to go Fuqk themselves.

He pretty much has done just that.
Originally Posted by ERK

Yep.

Yeah, he voted for the moron that flew pallets of Cash to the Iranians in the middle of the night.
I hope this plays out like the movie Miss Sloane.
Yep.

Yep.

We will soon see.

That was the point of my earlier post here. I should have written it with a sarcasm font instead.
© 24hourcampfire