Home
Posted By: Fireball2 How would you invest - 08/11/22
$850,000 tomorrow?

The goal would be to provide monthly income while preserving the investment in it's entirety.

I know, boring.
Posted By: 1minute Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Property ripe for development.

Neighbor just bought a big chunk and is parceling out lots as time passes. Sold three primo lots and has already recovered his investment.

If going into the market, I'd wait until just after the midterms.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
I bonds might have merit for safe income.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Originally Posted by 1minute

Neighbor just bought a big chunk and is parceling out lots as time passes. Sold three primo lots and has already recovered his investment.

Property prices will fall to a reasonable level with the coming economic collapse Trump and the Patriots effect under the Bidet as they destroy the DNC.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Dinty Moore beef stew.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22

Can you tell me about the lots, type, etc and where?
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Dinty Moore beef stew.

This and silver and lead.
Posted By: Dutch Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Originally Posted by Houston_2

I bonds have a $10K per year limit, IIRC.
Posted By: slumlord Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Dinty Moore beef stew.

IM ON IT!!! 😀👍☠️🤠

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
random number btw.
Posted By: Dutch Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Originally Posted by Fireball2
$850,000 tomorrow?

The goal would be to provide monthly income while preserving the investment in it's entirety.

I know, boring.

How do you figure playing with almost a a cool million dollars boring?

Follow the #1 rule of investing. Diversify.

Buy some mutual funds.

Buy some commercial real estate

Buy a few collectibles

Buy some residential real estate.

Look at your statements once a year, and rebalance if necessary.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by Houston_2

I bonds have a $10K per year limit, IIRC.

True. He and his wife could do 20k$/year parking the rest in 2 year or 5 year T’s.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Property.
Posted By: Backroads Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Buy a rental in a mountain college town. Rent it out at a grand per bedroom, then sell it in ten years for twice what you paid.
Posted By: Calvin Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Closed end mutual funds. It’s like watching paint dry.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Dinty Moore beef stew.

IM ON IT!!! 😀👍☠️🤠

You know what property prices did in 1930 when everyone lost their ass in the bear market of all time until the bear market thats fixing to hit.

Some cant imagine Charles Schwab and Citibank and Disney and Facebook and E Trade and BOA and Google and You Tube and the Fed going under.

As Q says, Its going to be Biblical.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
No oil and gas guys around here?
Posted By: WMR Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Decent returns with no down side risk? Please let me know when you find it. Sounds like a conservative diversified portfolio with a plan to spend 3-4% annually. Even then it’s not 100% guaranteed to last a lifetime. Some risk is just a fact of life.
Originally Posted by Backroads
Buy a rental in a mountain college town. Rent it out at a grand per bedroom, then sell it in ten years for twice what you paid.

Why "mountain"?
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Private credit market. High single digit, low double digit returns. Gotta pay to play.
Posted By: slumlord Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Everyone like the mountains and shît

Go rest high on that mtn
Posted By: Backroads Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Do a little research on Boulder CO vs Champaign IL
Posted By: super T Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Essential service municipal bonds. Tax free.
Do a little research on Boulder CO vs Champaign IL

So you're saying Lincoln, Ne is out? LOL
Posted By: ribka Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Originally Posted by JGRaider
No oil and gas guys around here?

Id put a 100 k in DVN and/or mplx and at least 50 k in sblk and 100 k in intc and intc, apl and real estate, bonds , 5 per cent silver
May not hurt to put $50,000 as a downpayment in a nice house.

When the economic collapse hits, who will be getting paid by bankrupt lenders to work for the payments on it?

Millions in Chyna have stopped making payments on their investment properties? No one is working to collect after Evergrands collapse?

You think its not coming to America? The fughking Illuminati and Rothschilds NWO are going down.
Sorry, i posted this for the Patriots. You swine and corksuckers ignore it, please.

Sheesh, pearls to swine. I keep forgetting. Crap.
Posted By: JeffA Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Moderate 4 plex anywhere one was in that price range.
Posted By: Huncho Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
I just did that, students pay really good. Not trying to be an ass but lady students always pay on time.
Posted By: akrange Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Buy the 5 Highest Dividend Yielding Stocks right after the Depression..

Monkey Left the Oven Door Open
Originally Posted by Huncho
I just did that, students pay really good. Not trying to be an ass but lady students always pay on time.

I've had numerous multiplex rentals near a college that were exclusively rented to college students.
Rent collection has never been an issue because mommy and daddy pay the bills.

Guys host parties and on occasion some do it too often and too loudly, it's just a rare few and I weed them out quickly.

It's best approached after warnings then during a active party with a call to the police. I always give the arriving officers all the information from the tenants rental agreement so they know who's who before they approach the rental unit.

It's amazing how often dumbazzed party boys have a history of their dumbazzedness and have active warrants. The police really like that, they go in to pickup the one with the warrant.

There will typically be an underage drinker or two and maybe a pot charge. That gives me reasonable cause to legally proceed with eviction. I'd never win a eviction standing before a judge looking at some cute well dressed college kid and his parents that pay his rent religiously trying to explain how their sons just noisy and disruptive.

It's harsh and rare but only fair for your other nearby tenants that are effected.

I mean what are you suppose to do when some chick you're renting to calls you in the middle of the night asking you to come escourt her to her apartment because she's afraid of the 10 guys standing out front drinking.

95% of the guys I rent to are fine, in fact I prefer to rent to guys because chick's create issues.

Very often they move their deadbeat boyfriends into the rental with them that her parents are paying for. They become her protector and any issues needing dealt with have to go through him.
Their not even on the lease yet they think they rule the roost.

I don't put up with that schit.

An easy 50% of female tenants leave their rentals absolutely filthy when they move out, guys are by far cleaner.

Chick's have cat's!
No matter how your lease is worded, they have cat's.
You never know they have cat's because they never go out, they're restricted to schitting and pizzing inside, hopefully in a litterbox and hopefully just in one room.
You smell it the instant you open the door after they move out.

After 45 years of landlording I’ve learned to rent to single chick's only out of desperation which now days happens next to never.
Posted By: rickmenefee Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Cash income producing property
Posted By: jackmountain Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Beach house or Build a bunch of rental cabins in a resort area a couple hours from an urban center, AirBnB or VRBO
Posted By: badger Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Have been buying precious metals for a while now. Still buying while it’s on sale.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
$850,000 tomorrow?

I know, boring.

With $850k you can buy 3 or 4 mountains in West Virginia... half a county maybe... if you look hard enough.

You like banjo music?
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22

Real estate in mountain towns is limited by topography. Most availible land is allready developed.. Starting a new subdivision is not allways feasible. Don't have the option of buying a corn or hayfield to create housing on. You don't need the development expenses. Just as simple as backroads said. You buy what is very limited and make money immediately..mb
Originally Posted by CashisKing
$850,000 tomorrow?

I know, boring.

With $850k you can buy 3 or 4 mountains in West Virginia... half a county maybe... if you look hard enough.

You like banjo music?

For the people suggesting income property, how active are you in managing it yourselves, or do you hire a property management company for hands off?
Depends on your capabilities
Today, I’d buy rental houses and pay a company to manage the day to day. I’d probably repair them myself as needed.
So 3% on $850K is between 2-3K a month interest with no management needed. Property, sky's the limit but requires hands on or a management company.

For those suggesting silver, do you buy low/sell high or just hold long term?
Posted By: skeen Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
$850,000 tomorrow?

I know, boring.

Trying to hide it 'fore the new jack-booted IRS agents come a knockin'? cool
For the people suggesting income property, how active are you in managing it yourselves, or do you hire a property management company for hands off?

Answer this question.

You've acquired a nifty rental and you're screening prospective tenants.

You see my name and number listed on a application as current landlord, you call me.

I tell you the guys good, pays his rent on time never caused me any trouble.

Would this make you feel confident in renting to this guy?
Posted By: Poconojack Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
As conservatively/safely as possible
Posted By: lapua6547 Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Bought lots of RIOT at 4.30

Riot Blockchain Inc
10.21 USD
+5.31 (108.93%)past month
Posted By: centershot Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Where did it come from? Sale of real property? 1031 exchange if so.
$850,000 tomorrow?

I know, boring.

You like banjo music?

For a guy with $850k... you ask some really stupid questions.

Land has multiple uses... renewable timber, stone (if a marketable product), B&B cabins, grazing potential, hunting leases... even Federal programs (Native Trout stream restoration, Wildlife restoration, reforestation $$$).

The B&B next to me is $160 a night (IIRC) and pretty much stays full in season... the owner lady does her own house keeping. She wants to buy some more land from me for more cabins... I reckon if she puts up 4 or 5 she might hire out a maid.

None of it rocket science...

HARD COMMODITIES... PHYSICALLY HELD...

In short, buy stuff that you know and make money with it... College rentals, build trailers as a fabricator... turn seed corn into corn... slop hogs... sell hogs.
Originally Posted by lapua6547

Riot Blockchain Inc
10.21 USD

SWEET... that is a nice lick right there. Congratulations!
Posted By: lapua6547 Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22

Riot Blockchain Inc
10.21 USD

Easiest mil I ever made

Is that a real question or just a fugging moron wammering for attention?
Posted By: losttrail60 Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22

This.

If there really was $850,000 the T1-11 would get replaced.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Cash;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking good thus far for you out on the east coast and all who matter to you are well.

If anyone has mentioned this already I apologize as I've missed it, but for my personal comfort level, if that 850K dropped in the lap of someone who was currently in debt, I'd suggest that they look at eliminating said debt. That sort of ties into the John Goodman scene I suppose?

Being a lifetime "numbers guy" and being married to an accountant/CFO for 40 years, I'd suggest that any potential investments that aren't expected to stay ahead of the current inflation rate should be avoided. Granted in the past year it's been a rough ride on the markets, but up until the beer flu mess it wasn't a huge issue to invest with a financial advisor and meet that goal.

Regarding the different opinions on precious metals, specifically gold, silver and lead, it's seemed to me that gold is the toughest to actually use in a post apocalyptic situation as one would need a way to break it up or partition the individual pieces, no? Historically that was done with a scale, but both parties involved would need to know that they were dealing with 100% pure metal in that instance. Frankly I don't have that ability and other than fairly serious miner/gold bug buddies, few that I've met do.

Silver and lead require much less education if one is considering a EOTWAWKI sort of situation.

The former - in my view - is best obtained from a reputable dealer who doesn't feel the need to involve the federal government about said transactions - so private dealers up here can sell under $10K without such attachments or at least were doing so up to a few years back. Since I'm a Canuck I like 1oz Maple Leafs, but there's choices out there.

The latter is good too, it's best to have a mix of pure and either wheel weight and/or linotype if possible... wink

Not that I know anything about any of that, but I've heard of it Cash.

[Linked Image]

Overall though up here land and housing is where the crazy inflation prices have been taking place. For instance a quarter of decent farm land in Saskatchewan that was $40K not all that many years ago is now $400K.

Regarding rental properties, we know a bunch of folks who do that and all the successful ones are VERY personally involved.

Hopefully that was useful for someone out there.

All the best to you all today Cash, I hope it's a good one for you.

Dwayne
Posted By: Tyrone Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
If that was on top of what I already have invested for retirement, I'd put it in a simple annuity. You can get about 5% on them now.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Iowa farmland, not at current prices.
Dwayne... you are a joy to have around and I hope we get to F2F sooner or later (although my PP is DOA and will probably stay that way).

Lead is an excellent idea IMHO... It will ALWAYS RETAIN VALUE... and nobody is going to steal 4 tons of lead bars laying behind your wood pile.

Same with hot or cold rolled steel if a man is a fabricator (local boy built a hell of a firewood processor with conveyor belt et al to a dump truck) with a stash he had... kinda thing.

Same with wire... another buddy is still sitting on 14 pallets of Romex.

Lumber... same...

Primers... ditto

Whatever a man knows well... and can make a living/profit with.

HARD COMMODITIES... PHYSICALLY HELD

As for silver... smart move.

I would use ammo much the same way in a pinch.

You commentary is ALWAYS WELCOME... you are far less abrasive... and the Campfire benefits greatly from that.
Posted By: ribka Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22

Riot Blockchain Inc
10.21 USD

Easiest mil I ever made

bought HUT, SDIG last month. Wish I bought more

Congrats
Posted By: BC30cal Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
Cash;
Thanks so much once more for the very kind reply.

I fear you give me far too much credit, but am appreciative of that oversight on your part.

As a bit of a further tangent, if one cracks a few history books as I know you have done, one would see a trend that in tougher and more trying times, it's the groups and neighborhoods who are able to co-exist or band together that tend to have better outcomes than individuals. That makes sense mathematically too really, though the greater the group size the more various logistics need to be addressed.

That said, we've had a fairly big changeover in ownership in my rural neighborhood in the past 2 years Cash and I've made it a point to get to know the new folks as much as possible.

We had a recurring problem with a young male black bear so I set up a texting chain to let them know where the last sightings were, etc. They in turn would let me know if it was on their deck, etc and then after the Conservation Officer service had been called usually me and another young neighbor I'm getting set up for handloading would wander over and shoo the recalcitrant bruin away from the deck, pool or pet poodle of the new folks.

Edit to add - the CO's are stretched so thin here that if they can show up that day to a problem bear or cougar, it's a good day. Not their fault whatsoever, just how it is.

This accomplished a few things Cash among them being, I now know who is armed, who wants to be, who hunts, which of the neighbors like to cooperate, etc.

As an added bonus I also know who can weld, who are very competent backyard mechanics, who likes to garden, who has medical training... you know, stuff that one hopes and prays to never need to know, but if one does then there's no time like the present to find out, correct?

Oh, the bear...

Another neighbor calls me mid morning and asks if "I'd mind giving him a hand with an issue". Please note that we have liberal black bear seasons in BC and where we live discharge of firearms is legal within some guidelines.

Of course I dropped everything, grabbed what I needed and went over.

My buddy started laughing when I showed up because as I bailed out I had a bag of Nitrile 8mil mechanics gloves and a fresh box of contractor garbage bags in my hands.... grin

Says he to me, "I'll bet you've got a pocket full of knives too don't you?", to which I replied, "Only 4 sir, why do you ask?"

Anyways Cash, I suppose all that's to say that if I didn't live in a spot where that was my circumstance, I'd give some consideration to spending the $850K towards achieving that goal.

It's worked for us and truly what else can we suggest than something that has, you know?

All the best and thanks so much once more for the kindness you've shown me.

Dwayne
Posted By: hillestadj Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22

Please, please, pleeeease buy $850k worth of silver.
Dwayne...

What you describe... in my estimation/simple mind is quite literally what I just explained to Charles (my young deck building friend from another post)... over beer and lunch as an "After Action" assessment...

I am sure there is some great lecture or PhD dissertation on same, but for me it is core basic simple.

My friend Ev is a proper genius, Charles is a most impressive 32 year old... and a fella like me can tie his own boots most days.

We each are capable... but the overlap brings 2X horsepower... and on those rare occasions when 3K HP is needed... the capacity exists.

There is nothing overly clever in this diagram... nothing at all... just the precept (from an antiquated American document)... "we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor.”

Community matters immensely... Honor is at the heart of any Community.

To me... this is very center of all foundation/founding of men... and it is simple... and it costs nothing (i.e. it is FREE) until needed.

I am glad to see the same whenever I do...

Be well, Leonard
Posted By: Mackey Re: How would you invest - 08/11/22
I’m up to nearly 50 bedrooms of student housing at University of Memphis. They’re almost paid for. I’m 66 and about to retire on them. It’s worked well for me.

Mackey.
Posted By: tdbob Re: How would you invest - 08/12/22
A basket of high dividend stocks that don't have much beta (price change either up or down) like ARCC, SLRC, or AM. If they're not performing as you like, get rid of them and look for something else.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: How would you invest - 08/12/22
Can’t believe no one’s suggested it yet, but hookers and blow?
Posted By: earlybrd Re: How would you invest - 08/12/22
Buy cheap land nobody knows about and sell it to Yankees that don’t have a clue for 5x what you paid for it
Posted By: Stickfight Re: How would you invest - 08/12/22
Originally Posted by jackmountain

A degenerate suggestion, for sure.

Consider that people who respond with a single investment are idiots, so easy to pass up their advice. Also worth considering that some portion of the funds should reside somewhere other than the traditional (((banking))) system.
Posted By: akasparky Re: How would you invest - 08/12/22
Says the mighty knowledgeable one that contributes no suggestion at all.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: How would you invest - 08/12/22
Originally Posted by akasparky
Says the mighty knowledgeable one that contributes no suggestion at all.

You got the first part right, which is one in a row for you.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: How would you invest - 08/12/22

Why "mountain"?
Cause schi tt runs downhill! 🤔
Posted By: ihookem Re: How would you invest - 08/12/22
I would buy a small house in Upper Michigan very close to Lake Michigan . I would take the rest, about $500K, and invest it it what people will be needing 50 yrs from now with good dividend stocks.

1.. Verizon ( VZ). pays 5.5% dividends and iuncreased divies every year. Cell phones are a consumer staple now days.
2 Hanes underwear (HBI) 5% divies. if we cant afford socks , Tshirts and undewear , we are doomed anyway.
3 Stanly Black & Decker (SWK) been around 150 yrs. divies are about 3% and raised their divies for decades. Very low price.
4 Intel microchips... We need micro chips and the price is way down... 3% divies.
5 Kelloggs (K) we need to eat or die... Pays 3.5?% divies. Price is fair.
6. Fidelity Utilities ETF ( FUTY) We go back to the stone age without utilities. pays 3% .
7, WPC, O, STAG, ADC, AMT.. These are all real estate companies . pay avr. 4.5% divies and raising them every yr.
8 Kimberly Clark (KMB ) toilet paper , paper towels . 3.5% divies, been raising then yearly for 50? yrs.
9 Proctor & Gamble (PG) tooth paste, shampoo , soap. 2.5% divies, yearly increases for a LONG time.
10 Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) cooking oil, bread flower ETC... Low divies but good company but price is kind of high.
11. Tyson,,(TSN) chicken , pork.. Price is very reasonable. 2.3% divies.
12 HYD ETF. Tax free Municipal bonds. 4% divies payed monthly Price is way down and a good time to invest some .
13 Chevron , Occidental Exxon Mobil. Good companies but price is kind of high. XOM & CVX pay 3.75% ,Occidental 1%.

This is a good and reasonable 15 companies that we will need for 50 yrs. Many will say the dividends will not exist if the [bleep] hits the fan. True, most will be cut. However, you will have to go through hell and high water to get your rental money too , if times get really bad, but we will eat, wear clothes heat our homes or you Texans will die of heat , and us Wisconsin boys will freeze to death. \

I also think that an ETF ( SPYD) 3.75% divies is a good ETF . Has the 80 higher dividend companies in the S&P 500 and very diverse ETF with lots of energy stocks , nat gas, real estate and banks.
Posted By: ConradCA Re: How would you invest - 08/12/22
Guy on the radio was talking about investment opportunities insurance companies provide. High rate of return with no danger to your capital! I would check it out.
Posted By: Huncho Re: How would you invest - 08/12/22
How much have you made off that ? Please share with us.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: How would you invest - 08/12/22
Aside from the usual insults and drunken tirades from the usual suspects thank you all very much.
Posted By: 16penny Re: How would you invest - 08/12/22
Don’t underestimate the raccoon market it’s a winner fur sure
Posted By: CashisKing Re: How would you invest - 08/12/22
Aside from the usual insults and drunken tirades from the usual suspects thank you all very much.

I am glad you appreciate the advice...

And I am super happy for you about your new found wealth... $850,000 is a really good lick!

Or... you are full of chit... like every other time.
Originally Posted by 16penny
Don’t underestimate the raccoon market it’s a winner fur sure

When I was a boy I sold raccoon meat... and muskrat.

Never got rich, but bought a few weapons with the money I made.

West Point, VA 1981.
But alas...

.GOV has shut down the practice since then... bastards

Black Market Raccoon meat
Posted By: garyh9900 Re: How would you invest - 08/12/22
Mutual Funds! Exactly which kind of MF depends on what your intentions are to do with the money.
Posted By: Tarbe Re: How would you invest - 08/12/22
Pretty much what I did with the last $850k.

Rural land, lead, brass, primers, powder, gold, silver, freeze-dried food, freeze drier, tractor, chainsaws, generators, solar panels/batteries/inverters/charge controllers, a well, a pond....and some fake fiat currency (USD) to light fires with.

Rinse and repeat.
Posted By: Natty_Bumpo Re: How would you invest - 08/12/22
Well, I haven't read all of the comments but,..........If you are asking this question on this forum. what you need is a GOOD FINANCIAL ADVISOR!!!

Someone who has advanced financial credentials (CFP/CFA+) and more, is well regarded by people you trust and has clients who have millions of dollars to invest with him/her and their firm.. And has a clean record with the feds. Somebody who didn't start yesterday and has clients similar to yourselves. It should be put in a "balanced account over time" And, right now, wouldn't be a bad time to start the process. Be sure to interview several folks. Good Luck to you.
Originally Posted by losttrail60

This.

If there really was $850,000 the T1-11 would get replaced.

I'm learning from people smarter than myself. You should try it sometime.
I'm learning from people smarter than myself.

That is a great approach to gaining wisdom...

Is there a list of people dumber than you available?
Posted By: irfubar Re: How would you invest - 08/12/22
Originally Posted by Huncho
How much have you made off that ? Please share with us.

Hunter Biden made a fortune with that plan... wink
On the one hand you gush over our polite friend from Canada and his manners and how much it's needed on this forum, but then show your ass to the world.

But just keep deluding yourself that you're one of those people "that gets it".
On the one hand you gush over our polite friend from Canada and his manners and how much it's needed on this forum, but then show your ass to the world.

But just keep deluding yourself that you're one of those people "that gets it".

Gush is a pretty strong word Ballz...

Your menstrual cycle must be extra heavy at the moment.

Bless your heart... and take a couple Midol... maybe?
FYI...

It is actually T1-11... not T-111.

Just trying to be helpful.
Posted By: smokepole Re: How would you invest - 08/12/22
FYI...

Damn, no wonder my siding keeps falling off, I've been using the T-111 discount stuff!!
FYI...

Playing with your OCD never gets old.
FYI...

Well durn... You got me...

You pulled the old switcheroo... and knew full well that it was T1-11 and not T-111...

Just like the cool $850,000 you is investing.

Dang...

And all this time I just thought you were a stupid fugging moron...
Posted By: Tyrone Re: How would you invest - 08/12/22
FYI...

Well durn... You got me...

You pulled the old switcheroo... and knew full well that it was T1-11 and not T-111...

Just like the cool $850,000 you is investing.

Dang...

And all this time I just thought you were a stupid fugging moron...
It's actually $850.00, not $850,000
Originally Posted by Tyrone
It's actually $850.00, not $850,000

Double durn...
Posted By: Hastings Re: How would you invest - 08/12/22

Riot Blockchain Inc
10.21 USD
I own some RIOT that I bought at $5.63 a share not long ago. It closed at $9.93 today. Not too shabby for about a month. But RIOT can break your heart. Most of 2020 it was in the $2 to $3 range and then shot up to over $70 in February of 2021. I had bought several hundred shares at below $3 but didn't get out until they were back down in the $40 and $30s. A heck of a nice gain but about half of what it could have been. Some poor souls bought in at $70 and bless their hearts saw it go to a little over $4.

With the central banks looking at crypto as enemy #1 I wouldn't go whole hog on it.

To the original inquiry, I would sure want to only take advice from someone with a long track record of success. That wouldn't be me. I've lucked into some really good stocks and done the best with rural land increasing in value. But I've sure picked some dogs too. My trouble is reluctance to sell when things get overvalued (such as RIOT).
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: How would you invest - 08/13/22
Originally Posted by JeffA

Answer this question.

You've acquired a nifty rental and you're screening prospective tenants.

You see my name and number listed on a application as current landlord, you call me.

I tell you the guys good, pays his rent on time never caused me any trouble.

Would this make you feel confident in renting to this guy?

I've gave tenants a good reference because I wanted them the hell out of my house so I could try to clean it back up. I've never had renters take care of yards and all my rentals were single family homes. I couldn't handle the stress of watching people destroy my stuff and couldn't make money unless I managed the homes and did the repairs. I had a place charge me $530 to replace a thermostat with one that was $22 at walmart.

I unfortunately sold most of my rentals too early a few years ago. I missed the big run up I was planning for when I bought them. I tried to sell my last one about 3 months ago for a huge profit but my wife didn't want to let it go. It's already down about $50k in value in just the last few months.

After our renters moved out last month we had to clean the inside with snow shovels and 39 gallon trash bags. They even left their dishes in the sink dirty. Garbage everywhere. Hauled 4 full pickup bed loads of just garbage to the dump them a few more loads of their belongings they refused to come get. Then their dad called and asked for the deposit back. I laughed and said that didn't cover the yard work and the inside of the house was much worse.

Renters can really suck but if my timing would have been better I could have made a lot of money. I was into my houses an average of about $125k each and a few months ago they were all valued between $350k-$400k if I would have still had them. I just raised rent on our last one when I rerented it. The last slobs were only paying $1200, I raised it to $1700 and rented it easily. However a few years ago our taxes and insurance averaged about $180 a month. Now it's over $450 a month so I only see $1250 of the $1700.

Bb
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: How would you invest - 08/18/22

Riot Blockchain Inc
10.21 USD

Great call.

BTW, your post count is rather devilish. 😈

Originally Posted by slumlord
Dinty Moore beef stew.

IM ON IT!!! 😀👍☠️🤠

You got some cool and practical hobbies.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: How would you invest - 08/18/22
Rental property is a good deal but be careful what State said property is in . This trend in squatting is unnerving to say the least.

I have had rental properties in the past NJ and FL and had some great tenants others not so great.
Posted By: Sheister Re: How would you invest - 08/18/22
This is a lot more complicated question than it seems at first glance.

How much hands on do you want in this "investment"? Or how much time and interest do you have in being a hands on manager? Doesn't matter if it is rentals, day trading, or selling ping pong balls, you need to define how hands on you want to be to start with.

I have several buddies who are day traders and they are pretty much part time on the computer studying their investments every day, including weekends. They get by, but they have tight months and they have good months, but it takes a lot of their time. Rentals are going to be the same- are you going to be the one cleaning them every time somebody does damage, calls about a light bulb being out, or moves out and leaves a pig sty? Or are you going to hire a management company to take care of all of tha for you at a percentage of your income stream?

If you don't want the hassle, either buy a house that is undervalued, fix it up, and either rent it or flip it and move on to the next one by leveraging the value of the property with a HELOC. If that is too much trouble, get yourself a good investment counselor or stockbroker and let him handle the stress of diversifying your funds for the best return. My broker is a good hunting buddy who used to be on this forum and he has done a great job for me over the years. I don't know enough to do the trading myself and expect decent returns- I've tried and lost my butt several times. And I can't handle the volatile nature of certain investments so I need someone to hand off to and I keep away from checking up on him constantly. I've had bad brokers and you will lose your butt with most of them. But if you can find one you can trust like my buddy John, they can do a great job for you and you just sit back and watch your investment grow.

Of course, these are just examples, there are lots of ways to go with an investment like that, but sitting down with an investment couselor can help determine your priorities and a strategy.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: How would you invest - 08/18/22
Talking with two different financial advisors. Making some short term changes until all the details can be ironed out and tax liabilities mitigated.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: How would you invest - 08/18/22
Talking with two different financial advisors. Making some short term changes until all the details can be ironed out and tax liabilities mitigated.

Fireball, ask your advisors about the new Treasury ETF’s coming on the market. They’ll initially be offered in 2 year and 10 year maturity dates but can be accessed daily just like selling a stock.

These are supposed to be expanded to more maturity date offerings like the 5 year, 7 year and on out to the 30 year.

In a rising rate environment like we’re now in you’d most likely want to stay with shorter maturities.

With these you have both safety and immediate access should you have a sudden need crop up on you.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what direction you’re gonna take.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: How would you invest - 08/19/22
I buy tillable farm land. Good land rents out quickly, as in within hours of the word getting out. Ask for 25 percent at the beginning of the year and the balance 30 days after harvest.
© 24hourcampfire