Home
Officially at the airport station in town, 37F. Dew point got down to 28F at times, hovered around freezing for a few hours.

On the table on our back deck, where the sending unit is sitting about 4' off ground level and close to the house: 38F

Here's the kicker though. I went out to feed the chickens, noticed one of the waterers was empty and as it's supposed to go to 90F today figured I better fill it for the day. Went and turned on the hose that goes to the compost piles, which has a shut off valve on the end. Get the waterer, go over to the hose, turn the shut off, just a little stream of water coming out? Waited to see if the hose cleared any air that might have gotten in it. Nope, no hissing of air, just a tine spritzer of water. Let it run for a few minutes and it started slowly increasing in flow.

Damn hose had ice in it, on Aug 11. It runs across the lowest, therefor coldest, spot in the yard, where cold air coming off the ridge behind us settles.

I checked that garden beds, a foot and a half higher in elevation than the low spot, and even the tomatoes and peppers looked OK. The hoops are up over the bed with those in it, I've got more hoops in the shed to go over that tater bed, and the greenhouse plastic will be going up this evening.

Frozen hose before mid August. That's only about 2 months since our last frost.

Any of you folks up north get cold this morning?
58-60

I'm ready for 48-50
59° this morning, which is about average this time of year here. We may tickle the upper 40s tomorrow morning, which would be the first time since May.
78 last couple of days
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Officially at the airport station in town, 37F. Dew point got down to 28F at times, hovered around freezing for a few hours.

On the table on our back deck, where the sending unit is sitting about 4' off ground level and close to the house: 38F

Here's the kicker though. I went out to feed the chickens, noticed one of the waterers was empty and as it's supposed to go to 90F today figured I better fill it for the day. Went and turned on the hose that goes to the compost piles, which has a shut off valve on the end. Get the waterer, go over to the hose, turn the shut off, just a little stream of water coming out? Waited to see if the hose cleared any air that might have gotten in it. Nope, no hissing of air, just a tine spritzer of water. Let it run for a few minutes and it started slowly increasing in flow.

Damn hose had ice in it, on Aug 11. It runs across the lowest, therefor coldest, spot in the yard, where cold air coming off the ridge behind us settles.

I checked that garden beds, a foot and a half higher in elevation than the low spot, and even the tomatoes and peppers looked OK. The hoops are up over the bed with those in it, I've got more hoops in the shed to go over that tater bed, and the greenhouse plastic will be going up this evening.

WTF

do you live under Mt Rainier ?? Where is all this cold air from?
65 this morning at daybreak.
I could go for a few high mountain mornings.
It's only an hour or two away but, alas my nuts need shaking.
84 at 6:00 this morning. lol

Clyde
8*C here this AM, Geno !!

Lots of fog, on the drive to work.
sebenty
59 by the Delta.

Been Camping at Blue Lake in Warners during August deer scouting X3B and got light snow flurries.
Not cold.
Snow cover on the highway about 120 miles north of us early this week. 39 yesterday morning. Fall is here. Ferns dying. Leaves turning a bit and falling. Fall smells. Termination dust. when not raining rivers are low and glaciers have stopped melting. Geese and cranes moving south already.
75. Up to 95. Cooled a little bit, was 100 every day for 6 weeks
Originally Posted by slumlord

WTF

do you live under Mt Rainier ?? Where is all this cold air from?

It's the Intermountain "Out West" dude.

Lakeview OR, an hour or so up the road got down to 34F officially.

Beautiful cloudless sky last night, big ol' moon. Nothing to keep any heat in.

The ridge behind out place is 5700'+ in elevation. Lakeview is at the base of the Warner Mountains, which up there near the town are over 6000'. Cold air settles off these ridges and hills and we get cold here. Remember that pic I sent you a couple of weeks ago, the blue barrel which the wind had blown into our seasonal creek? I can walk down in that creek in the evening and feel the cold air draining off the hills.

I'm guessing, if they get the forecast right today, we'll have a 55 degree swing from this morning's low to the afternoon high. Not unusual this time of year, other than that ice in the hose!
I’d move

Didnt read alla that either

lol
67 this morning.
Remind me in a few months that I was bitching about the heat. 74F inside before starting the swamp cooler. 73 now.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Remind me in a few months that I was bitching about the heat.
Did you ever find the one snowblower?
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
No. Gave up thinking we need one. What could possibly go wrong?
A cool 71’.
I came off a workout at 6:30 and it was 74 deg and 90% humidity. It was like I had stepped out of the shower in my clothes.

Screw that. 62 here last night, but headed to the low 50's this weekend. The transition from summer to fall has begun.
Originally Posted by RUM7
65 this morning at daybreak.
I could go for a few high mountain mornings.
It's only an hour or two away but, alas my nuts need shaking.

My wife likes your nuts! shocked

Well, someone's over that way. grin

She eats them almonds every day.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
No. Gave up thinking we need one. What could possibly go wrong?
Blizzards this winter for sure!

For some reason I think we're gonna get slammed with one big snowstorm for this area. Maybe it's just wishful thinking. The drought will probably last 7 more years.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I came off a workout at 6:30 and it was 74 deg and 90% humidity. It was like I had stepped out of the shower in my clothes.
Not sure where you're at, but that's one reason we didn't enjoy living back east.

I hate getting out of the shower and it being so humid you can't dry off and you don't know if it's just because the towels are always damp or you've already started sweating again.
No frost here

From the windows to the wall

Till de sweat drop frum my bawls

I don't know I didn't look but it was cool out this morning. Supposed to get down to 50 tonight and tomorrow night with a high of 72 tomorrow.
Not sure where you're at, but that's one reason we didn't enjoy living back east.

I hate getting out of the shower and it being so humid you can't dry off and you don't know if it's just because the towels are always damp or you've already started sweating again.
Went out in the mountains yesterday with the family with intent to camp out. In the bestest shadiest campiest place for miles at almost 8pm it was still 82-85ish, clouded over, muggy and ugly calm. Made some dinner, sweating the whole time, then said screw it and came home to the fans!
Actually I just looked at the local weather report and it says highs in the low 70's and lows in the 50's all next week.
The only cold here was in the refrigerator and freezer.
64 at 545.
But it's a Ford thermometer, probably slower than most.
Where in the NE are you, VD, Ottawa?
Valsdad asks "Officially at the airport station in town, 37F." That is damn cruel to post. It was 75F here this morning, and we won't see temps below 70 until probably mid October!
73 is as cold as it's been all day.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Valsdad asks "Officially at the airport station in town, 37F." That is damn cruel to post. It was 75F here this morning, and we won't see temps below 70 until probably mid October!
Yeah, but you folks can almost grow maters year round.

I'm lucky to get a few every summer, which was frost free for 82 days last season.

I have lived where it was 120+ in the summer and rarely froze hard enough to kill peppers and tomatoes. I had a serrano pepper plant that lived over 3 seasons.

Hot in the morning? I awoke once at 0200 and it was still 113F. I don't recall it dropping below 100F that morning by sunrise.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Where in the NE are you, VD, Ottawa?
NE Kalifornicationcopia as someone here calls it.

Went out in the mountains yesterday with the family with intent to camp out. In the bestest shadiest campiest place for miles at almost 8pm it was still 82-85ish, clouded over, muggy and ugly calm. Made some dinner, sweating the whole time, then said screw it and came home to the fans!

We had an evening similar just recently.

A few drizzles, town got 0.03", but the cloud cover kept the heat in all night. Stayed warm all night, only dropped to 65F or so by daylight. Hardly cooled the house down with all the windows and the two fans going along with the window A/C in the master bdrm.
Originally Posted by slumlord
No frost here

From the windows to the wall

Till de sweat drop frum my bawls

Dick Clark asks "What do you think of that song"

Reply: "it has a nice beat and you could dance to it" crazy
She's in good company.
Everyone likes my nuts.
Not cool,but very comfortable this morning on the Texas coast. I should have been fishing the bay frown
At my place 73 & foggy at daylight.
75F

96% RH
It was 60 and is now 85 at 6PM.
Valsdad;
Good evening Geno, I hope that the day warmed up a wee bit for you and you're well.

Up here across the medicine line in the frozen north it was about 71°F when we left the house at 5:15AM on our daily walk. It's just under 95°F at present with a howling wind from the north, which might be okay for one side of the wildfire just north of us, but won't be so good for the other side.

Strange days that you got frost in August though, no?

All the best with keeping your garden frost free Geno.

Dwayne

Nowhere near icy, but remarked to number two son last night that it actually felt cool. First time since May. Back to nearly 90 again during the day though.
Low 50s on the coast.
90’s every day and humid as hell. I’m so ready for fall. Can’t wait to break out the long pants and a sweat shirt to go to work.
64 F……about 10 or 12 degrees warmer than I would have preferred! memtb
Morning????..I'm guessing 72.....
63 this morning. Nice moon.

Watched the little dog take his last breath. Sad night
but a beautiful night.
Not bad at all.
56 this AM
A little over 80 this afternoon
light breeze < 12 mph
Humidity ranged between 80% and 40% - plumb muggy for here!
Originally Posted by fester

but a beautiful night.

Damn… sorry to hear it. I’ll take a good dog over most people I’ve met any day.
We’re not far behind here at 7000’

We have a short growing season here, 103 days. First frost will hit us mid-September.

Finding fresh rub trees, won’t be long before the first elk bugles are heard!
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Valsdad;
Good evening Geno, I hope that the day warmed up a wee bit for you and you're well.

Up here across the medicine line in the frozen north it was about 71°F when we left the house at 5:15AM on our daily walk. It's just under 95°F at present with a howling wind from the north, which might be okay for one side of the wildfire just north of us, but won't be so good for the other side.

Strange days that you got frost in August though, no?

All the best with keeping your garden frost free Geno.

Dwayne

Hey there northern neighbor of sorts. Well, at least we're both on the East side of the more coastal mountains and west of the Rockies. Hope you're having a great evening.

Honestly, there was no frost, just that frozen hose that runs through the low spot in the yard. Which, I'll take a guess at, means the garden was probably at about 35F, somewhere between the 37-38 on the porch and the ice in the hose. No frost even on what passes for a lawn here. I may have gotten lucky? The hose didn't freeze solid, just enough to slow flow down to a trickle until the flow when I turned it on thawed it.

Officially a 54F degree swing from low this morning to this afternoon's high temp. That doesn't include the ice in the hose. I've seen 60 or close to it few times, but that's usually been a 40F night to a near 100F day. We've got a few little microclimate areas around here. Some folks regularly are 3-4 degrees warmer in the morning than right here.

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/timeser...bular&hourly=true&pview=standard

High desert living is strange compared to many places, that's for sure. I was just across the seasonal creek where I put in a new garden and by the looks of things I just may get a good crop of potatoes, maybe a decent few heads of cabbage and broccoli, perhaps a few peppers and tomatoes, and probably no squash as I was late getting them in and they just may freeze out before producing.

Enjoy the rest of that BC summer while it lasts. I know it'll change soon enough.

but a beautiful night.
Well crap fester.

that is sad.

condolences bud.
Geno, I hope we don't get your frosty weather for at least another 40-50 days!

Corn needs time to grow but any time in September is fair game for a freeze.

Seems like you/me get an early hard frost and then it doesn't freeze again for another month.....

Next 3 days forecast repeated.

Low: 61 °F

Friday

Friday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 99. Light and variable wind becoming north northwest 8 to 13 mph in the morning.

Hot

High: 99 °F
It's was 50 here.........that's in mile-per-hour and a sideways rain. I can do a hillbilly pressure wash on my cruiser right now

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/stationhome.h

tml?id=9459881

We had snow just a few miles south of my up north house day before yesterday.
Woke up to take a leak at about 6am and heard rain hitting the tin roof of our Lake Chelan house and thunder rolling through. After 30 minutes it let up and then it sounded like the evacuation of Saigon with all the helicopters flying low over the orchards in order to blow the rain off the still ripening fruit. I went back to bed and slept like a baby. 😁

When I did go outside it was 93* and muggy as hell. Back home on the island now and it’s about 75* currently.
Heck Sam, we're only about 4400' elev and it was a total surprise it even got down to 37. I think the NWS was calling for a low of only 42 or so, and as was said on the home weather station thread they are usually pretty close.

Nothing near that low forecast for the next week or so, and we're going back up to 95 again. Bad thing about that, the electrical Co-op will be doing some work out here Tuesday and shutting us down from 0830-1330. And it will be hard to cool the place down that morning as it's only supposed to go down to 54F overnight.

Might have to break out a non-Yeti ice chest for some of the stuff in the fridge. The chest freezer should be OK, it's stuffed with frozen stuff and has some moving blankets on it.

Good luck with your corn. And yep, first frost last year here was in early Sept.
Originally Posted by stevelyn
It's was 50 here.........that's in mile-per-hour and a sideways rain. I can do a hillbilly pressure wash on my cruiser right now

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/stationhome.h

tml?id=9459881

We had snow just a few miles south of my up north house day before yesterday.

Termination dust already up there, eh.
Could be worse.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Not in August wabigoon.

Not in August.

Maybe we hit -25F this coming winter, as we did in 2017, but not in Aug.
In Wabigoon, I watched water turn into crystals when freezing, forty below is cold. laugh
We just had a pretty healthy thunderstorm blow through. In and out in 20 minutes. It left a decent sunset.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Cool looking yard you have there Ed. Any birds using those houses?

We had a decent sunset here tonight too. In the foreground is the seasonal creek the cold air flows down from the hills:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

but a beautiful night.
Well crap fester.

that is sad.

condolences bud.

Sorry fester. That really makes for a schidty day.
Some sort of swallow in the distant one and bats in the closer one. The Selkirks are in the distance, the Cabinets behind me. We have had twelve acres here since 2005 and look forward arriving every year.
Yeah, I've been up that way a time or two in my life. Beautiful area.

Glad you've got the bats and swallows, helps keep the skeeters down.
51° this morning.
nice and cool 78
About 65 this morning and not humid. I'll take it.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
nice and cool 78

Same. With thunderstorms.
59*, refreshing
51F, central PA. They say a sunny 80F for a high today.
44⁰F

Wife actually turned off the A/C and opened the window. That's a pretty big deal around my house.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by stxhunter
nice and cool 78

Same. With thunderstorms.
Hoping we get some, my grass is burnt.
75. Still no rain.
Driving to, and from Indianola, Iowa, I saw crops in worse shape than ours.
61 and feels fantastic I think I’m gonna fish while it’s cool 🎣
Insanely warm this morning, even a bit warmer than yesterday…..69 F for the low! Snow is looking better all the time! memtb
50.9 in my back yard near Kalispell, MT. It was 38.3 last Friday.
68 with about 85% humidity.
fiddy-nine
Got the house down to 65F. Survival is now a real possibility.
© 24hourcampfire