Home
Posted By: Dre Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 08/13/22
In the market for a new or newer (used) cargo trailer.
Years ago I had Carson, Racer 6x12. That’s was custom with torsion tandem axles and 7’ interior height. Sold it 5? Years ago when we got out 5th wheel and had no room for the RV and my dump trailer and a boat.
Anyways, I am back in the game for a cargo and Looking at 7x14 V nose with close ton7’ interior height.
Currently living in S. Cali and around here trailer like I want is around $10-11k. Ridiculous.
I see they are around $6k, maybe 7k in mid south or east coast, but after freight I’m back to square one.
My question:
I am now Trying to broaden my search and with so many manufacturers . Which trailers should I consider and which to stay away from, quality wise.
Thanks , Dre
I've owned a Hallmark like you describe for 12 years.
It has been used as a shop trailer and mainly used by employees. It's been abused and misused and is still hanging in there and water tight.
Hallmark and Alumalite are the best trailers I've owned. I love Alumalite but you really pay for them.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 08/13/22
You're gonna pay right now. I had to replace a fender on my trailer. I almost fell over with the price. The company owner said his prices for raw material were up 40%. Universal Trailers in Riverside if you want to check them out.
So much of the industry has changed.

Haulmark used to be absolute top shelf (I own three older ones... 29' GN, and a pair of 24' tag-a-longs)... the newer Haulmarks are substantially inferior.

Personally I can offer no help as to what is good... and what is inferior in 2022 other than to find various dealers in your zone that are honest and ask them real world questions.

LOTS OF TRAILERS made today are NOT GOOD... the box steel frame "looks" structural, but is often 12 or 14 gauge (same crap as in carport buildings). 24" O/Cs walls and roof... NOT 16"s or 12"s

Takes a keen eye to spot all the BS.

Ernie owns Commonwealth Trailer Sales in Highland Springs VA... he is a straight shooter and I trust his counsel 100%...
Posted By: WMR Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 08/13/22
Good luck. Prices have skyrocketed. Lots of reasons, but they all add up to sticker shock. I’d like a good quality aluminum 14 footer. Not in the budget this year. ☹️
Posted By: Moto_Vita Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 08/13/22
I have a Continental Cargo Aluminum 7x12, I like it, they are well regarded by the construction guys here in the northwest. I doubt you'll find a quality alu 7x14 under $10,000. these days.
Originally Posted by Moto_Vita
I have a Continental Cargo Aluminum 7x12, I like it, they are well regarded by the construction guys here in the northwest. I doubt you'll find a quality alu 7x14 under $10,000. these days.
I must have missed the OP ask about aluminum trailers .
I've got a 6x12 Hallmark. Not real happy with it, the interior wood on the rear door rotted out, door almost came apart on an elk trip to Colorado.

Whatever, think I'll buy Chinese next time.
Posted By: WMR Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 08/13/22
Some good vids on YouTube detail the differences in quality of utility trailers. Well with watching before you buy. Prices are still scary high. Good used ones are scarce around here.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 08/13/22
Dre,

Times are crazy, all trailers have went way up in price.
I bought a 6x14' utility trailer @ Elite Trailers crestview, Fl. 5 years ago, $1250 w/a spare wheel/tire. Now, $2200

Horrible time to buy most anything, good luck.
Originally Posted by WMR
Good luck. Prices have skyrocketed. Lots of reasons, but they all add up to sticker shock. I’d like a good quality aluminum 14 footer. Not in the budget this year. ☹️

Aluma 14' Raft Trailer was $2500 couple-three years ago now $4200-$4400 pricing, doesn't tilt, no dovetail, wood deck, no spare tire.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 08/13/22
I bought a Featherlite V-nose that I like. I got the ramp door and used it for off season dry storage. I do like aluminum for the salted winter roads in these parts. Same thing with my all aluminum utility Trophy Trailer made here in WI.
Posted By: Dre Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 08/13/22
Thanks.
While I do know it’s some of the worst possible time to buy a trailer, the main reason is I need a Tax write off. But that doesn’t mean I just want to blow 10 or 12k either for something that’s worth 6 or 7k. It’s funny when you look at a 6x12 and how much more 7x14 is. But then 8x16 or 8x20 isn’t that much more than a 7x14…. And the dealers try to tell me it’s not a supply and demand thing.

Regarding aluminum trailers. They are nice but no need in Palm Springs. I can only imagine how much more aluminum trailers are since my weldcraft is increasing in value every year. Crazy out there
Saw an Ad for a Yakima kayak trailer, one single aluminum piece frame, two pieces of aluminum that the tiny leaf-spring sat on, and a bent piece of round tubing for the kayaks to sit on.

Tires/wheels like motorcycle tires, it could haul two kayaks.

$3400 , twenty years ago it would have cost $340
Posted By: JeffA Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 08/13/22
Pricing. I bought my 14x7 from this guy 5 years ago, the prices showing now are right at double of what I paid.

https://www.snappertrailers.com/shop/page/10/

My neighbor and my lawn guy also have 14ft enclosed trailers.
All of different name brands yet sitting side by side they are clones.

One large manufacture in Georgia makes 90% of the ones I see in the Southwest but there appears to be at least 100 different name brands riveted to them.

There are a couple of manufacturers that make a completely different trailer, they are obviously made of heavier material and might be superior if you need a stronger exterior and weren't concerned of the additional weight.

I'm not taking mine into a war zone, it rolls, it don't leak, its all I need.
Posted By: Dre Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 08/13/22
Originally Posted by JeffA
Thanks Jeff,
But from Florida to Cali is about 2-3k in shipping
Posted By: JeffA Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 08/13/22
Can't imagine there not being something similar in your region
Posted By: Dre Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 08/14/22
Can't imagine there not being something similar in your region
Hop on Craigslist, for sale, trailers anywhere on west coast. Phoenix, Vegas, LA, Portland. And let
Me know what find
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 08/14/22
Double R Trailers, Napa Idaho.
One large manufacture in Georgia makes 90% of the ones I see in the Southwest but there appears to be at least 100 different name brands riveted to them.

That is a fact... like MTD makes dozens of brands of lawn mowers...
Posted By: akasparky Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 08/14/22
If for some God forsaken reason I had to live in California and found myself in such a situation trying to buy a cargo trailer.

I'd have to order 3, 14 footers and a 40ft flatbed, drive to Georgia and bring the 14 footers back on the flatbed.

By the time I sold two of the 14 footers and the flatbed in California I'd have myself a free cargo trailer and a little change left to jingle in my pocket..

Or, I could just get online and whine about how unfair life is where I live.
Posted By: Fishnnut1 Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 08/14/22
I have a 8.5x20 plus V-nose made by Kaufman trailers out of Denton NC. Bought it in 2020 an it had to be built because they couldnt keep inventory. They were selling 300 plus cargo trailers per month! It took about 5 months to get it. They sell them right out of the factory. Real quality and tough as nails.Whatever you find, I recommend Dexter torflex axles for smooth towing.
Originally Posted by Heym06
Double R Trailers, Napa Idaho.
Already got a quote from them. Thanks.
For what I want.
$11,038.50
https://imgur.com/a/iFslQt4
Originally Posted by akasparky
If for some God forsaken reason I had to live in California and found myself in such a situation trying to buy a cargo trailer.

I'd have to order 3, 14 footers and a 40ft flatbed, drive to Georgia and bring the 14 footers back on the flatbed.

By the time I sold two of the 14 footers and the flatbed in California I'd have myself a free cargo trailer and a little change left to jingle in my pocket..

Or, I could just get online and whine about how unfair life is where I live.

Not a bad idea.
Thanks for the cheese
Posted By: adam32 Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 08/14/22
I saw a nice little used V-nose this morning, I didn't catch the brand, about a 12' maybe 10'...I thought to myself that'll be a nice trailer for a couple grand so I turned around to see the price...$7,500!!!! Nope! I didn't even get out to look closer!
Posted By: Dre Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 08/16/22
Originally Posted by adam32
I saw a nice little used V-nose this morning, I didn't catch the brand, about a 12' maybe 10'...I thought to myself that'll be a nice trailer for a couple grand so I turned around to see the price...$7,500!!!! Nope! I didn't even get out to look closer!
Yes sir
This is why I’m here asking for help… or whining I guess lol
Posted By: WMR Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 08/16/22
I’m actually renting a U Haul to take on a hunting trip this fall. I sold my 6x12 a couple years ago and a replacement just didn’t make the budget this year.
Posted By: viking Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 08/16/22
I got a 7x16 with a ramp door. It’s been a handy investment, furniture moving, storage…. Now I just added a wheel chock for my motorcycle and added 2 D rings.

Last Saturday I pulled it out to Reed Point and rode the motorcycle a little bit.
Posted By: Dre Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 09/01/22
So I’m down to two trailers and Have a q.
One is local company, Carson, racer series. Custom built new 7x14 v nose with 7’ interior and couple other options is $11k
The next one is aluminum Alcom, stealth. 7.5x14 v nose and it’s a beautiful trailer but it’s also $14k.
I know aluminum is lighter and more expensive.
But what other benefits would I get for the extra $3k going from Steel to all aluminum
Posted By: Reba Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 09/01/22
What ever trailer you buy, be award of the "China Bombs"
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 09/01/22
Originally Posted by Dre
So I’m down to two trailers and Have a q.
One is local company, Carson, racer series. Custom built new 7x14 v nose with 7’ interior and couple other options is $11k
The next one is aluminum Alcom, stealth. 7.5x14 v nose and it’s a beautiful trailer but it’s also $14k.
I know aluminum is lighter and more expensive.
But what other benefits would I get for the extra $3k going from Steel to all aluminum
No rust is a biggie for me. I've got a 20 ft SnowPro for hauling our snowmachines, Argo and Rhino along with my wifes Honda Rancher, it's been a great trailer. It wasn't cheap but it did come with some extras like heat, heavy duty coat hooks, cabinet, spare tire, led interior/exterior lighting, roof vent, aluminum wheels and interior electrical plugs. I added a converter to run the heater and keep the battery charged, cost me $20k about 2 years ago and I can only imagine what they are going for now.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 09/01/22
Depending on how much you could save by buying down south, it might be worth it to take a drive down there and pick one up and tow it back. Seems like a long weekend a one night or so of a hotel stay and you'd be home with your new trailer... road trips can be interesting, if not always fun...

On the not so bright side- I wouldn't expect prices to come down substantially any time soon so you might as well get it now so you can get some use out of it.
Posted By: Dre Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 09/02/22
Originally Posted by Sheister
Depending on how much you could save by buying down south, it might be worth it to take a drive down there and pick one up and tow it back. Seems like a long weekend a one night or so of a hotel stay and you'd be home with your new trailer... road trips can be interesting, if not always fun...

On the not so bright side- I wouldn't expect prices to come down substantially any time soon so you might as well get it now so you can get some use out of it.
Thanks but I just can’t take any more time off.
Already took a whole month of July off,
10 day elk hunt coming up. Plus cost of diesel is still stupid to travel 2000+ miles round trip.
Just might have to buy local and beat them
Up a bit on the price
Just make sure you buy a black one.
Like the guy you voted for in ‘08.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Lol
That’s the best you got? Do You feel better about your self now?
Wow, after reading these prices, I'm glad I found mine last year, 3 year old Aluminum Cycle Pro 7x14 used to move two motorcycles 400 miles. $3200
Originally Posted by HarleyHutch
Wow, after reading these prices, I'm glad I found mine last year, 3 year old Aluminum Cycle Pro 7x14 used to move two motorcycles 400 miles. $3200
It’s absolutely stupid out here
Posted By: TF49 Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 09/02/22
Thought…. Whatever you get, you may want to inspect the roof and the roof edges. Seams… sometimes I see edges lifted up a bit on some lower cost units.

My 7x12 has rhino lining on the roof but seems to me that almost any paint on elastomer…. Undercoating product…etc would work,

No hail damage….quiet …. No worry about roof leaks….
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 09/02/22
Originally Posted by Dre
Lol

He felt better way before he typed that because he never voted for the destruction of his own country.

It's poetic justice that you're getting fuqked on your new trailer that alone probably makes him feel better.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Dre
Lol

He felt better way before he typed that because he never voted for the destruction of his own country.

It's poetic justice that you're getting fuqked on your new trailer that alone probably makes him feel better.
Yeah that total makes sense
One vote has caused this mess we are in 14 years later.
Not the sharpest tool in shed are ya?
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre
Lol

Lol, if that makes you feel better run with it.

BTW, I was sharp enough not to vote for zero EVER.
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre
Lol

Actually it doesn’t.
It’s really sad…. More like Pathetic you and your DBags sh*t for brains friends on here have nothing to contribute to this thread. But bring up stupid [bleep] from the past? Cool story bro!
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre
Lol

Actually it doesn’t.
It’s really sad…. More like Pathetic you and your DBags sh*t for brains friends on here have nothing to contribute to this thread. But bring up stupid [bleep] from the past? Cool story bro!

Stupid is stupid whether it happened 3 weeks ago or 3 minutes ago, it's obvious you haven't learned from it.

Lol, Still didn't vote for Zero.......
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre
Lol

Actually it doesn’t.

Stupid is stupid whether it happened 3 weeks ago or 3 minutes ago, it's obvious you haven't learned from it.

Suppose you’re right
I should Have known better than to get into a civil discussion with someone like you that doesn’t really know anything
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre
Lol

Actually it doesn’t.

Suppose you’re right
I should Have known better than to get into a civil discussion with someone like you that doesn’t really know anything

Well I do know you voted for Obama, that is something.

Puts you in the same arena as Jeff0, not a good place to be.

Can you open a box of Noslers?
Ugh.
Once again the same thing over and over? Your momma not pay enough attention to you?
Seriously, no once cares.
If you got nothing to say regarding trailers, get bent….Don’t be like stumpy
Originally Posted by Dre
Ugh.
Once again the same thing over and over? Your momma not pay enough attention to you?
Seriously, no once cares.
If you got nothing to say regarding trailers, get bent….Don’t be like stumpy

You're getting seriously fuqked on a trailer at those prices, you're the one getting bent, bent right over and fuqked sideways. TFF!

Hows that for staying on topic Obama voter?
Posted By: Dre Re: Enclosed Cargo trailers? - 09/03/22
What’s funny, is I’m not denying it, yet you just can’t let it go.
If I didn’t know any better and it’s usually the case. You’re probably just another f*g in the closet wishing he could have the balls to come out and vote blue.
Good times !
© 24hourcampfire