Home
Posted By: taylorce1 Not long for this world. - 08/17/22
So last week I got a call from an old co-worker (friend), I've been in contact with since I left that job in 2012. So he starts the conversation "I'm not going to be around long, do you want any of my guns?" He's 79 on oxygen full time with COPD and AFIB he explains, and this is why he feel his time is close.

While I'm interested in some of his firearms, I'm more interested in being there for him. We've probably only averaged a conversation a year since I left my old job. I did stop in when I saw him working in his yard once and spent about 30 minutes shooting the bull in the last 10 years.

His youngest lives six hours away and he's been widowed for nearly 30 years. He lives two hours from me and I'm going to try to get up there at least a couple times a month. I spent four hours with him yesterday and he wanted to show me everything as I told him I'd help him to sell off his firearms, ammo, reloading gear, archery gear, and knives that aren't going to his kids. I also need to spend some time mowing his yard he was so proud of.
Do what you can.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Not long for this world. - 08/17/22
It’s a sad situation. As Jim Conran said do what you can!
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Not long for this world. - 08/17/22
I reconnected with an old friend in November of last year. He had stage 4 bladder cancer and was in chemotherapy. Was able to get together before leaving for Florida for the winter. Once back home we fished a bunch on my boat an attempted some golf. Lost him last month. Anything you can do to support your friend is priceless.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Not long for this world. - 08/17/22
Sorry to hear. Hod Bless.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Not long for this world. - 08/17/22
Spending time with him is gold, for him and you.................

BUT!

Do not deny him the blessing of giving you something.........................

A lot of people say no because they don't 'need' it, can 'do it' themselves, or are just too proud..........

The giver wants and needs to give, and there must be someone to give to!!!

IMHO.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Not long for this world. - 08/17/22
Originally Posted by Muffin

BUT!

A lot of people say no because they don't 'need' it, can 'do it' themselves, or are just too proud..........

IMHO.
There is a lot to this...
Very well said.

I've always enjoyed hanging out with the older guys.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Not long for this world. - 08/17/22
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

BUT!

IMHO.
There is a lot to this...

Muffin and OSU Sig;
Morning gentlemen, I trust you're both fine as frog's hair this bright, clear and hot up here Wednesday.

Thanks for the thoughts on giving, I very much appreciate it.

You are both - in my opinion and direct personal experience - spot on with your assessment.

Someday I'm going to write an essay about the subject, but will spare everyone that today.

Nonetheless there is a special blessing available for both the giver and the receiver when they can look each other in the eyes when doing so, you know?

When the giver is gone, they of course are out of the equation, but it also changes for the receiver of the gift, at times substantially.

Just a few thoughts from a semi-old guy who has given this subject a bunch of thought and meditation.

Thanks for reading and all the best to you both and the OP as well.

Dwayne
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Not long for this world. - 08/17/22

BUT!

IMHO.

I'm not going to refuse if he wants to give me something, but he implied he'd sell them to me at a "friend" rate. He's wanting to lighten the burden on his Daughter, and I told him I'm cash poor at the moment and time is what I have the most of. I just finished paying cash for a kitchen remodel and major vehicle repairs or else we'd have settled on a few firearms for me to take home.

There is a Ruger Deerstalker Carbine I have my eye on and I'll buy when we decide on a fair price, but a lot of what he owns isn't in my wheelhouse. His tastes were more towards SA revolvers and 1911 pistols, I'm a hunting rifle guy. Maybe a 1911 will find it's way home with me as well. However, he has close to 100 firearms to liquidate, and I don't want him to have to wholesale everything.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Not long for this world. - 08/17/22

BUT!

IMHO.

Exactly right, it's important for him to know that whatever he's giving is going to be cared for as much as he has cared for it.
Your time is the greatest gift you can give him right now. If he wants to sort through this or that, help him do so. If he wants to sit in his recliner and just BS, that's what you do. I lost my Dad June 4th of this year. I've got WAY to many guns to sort through, but I'd trade them all for a few more conversations with him.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Not long for this world. - 08/17/22
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
I lost my Dad June 4th of this year. I've got WAY to many guns to sort through, but I'd trade them all for a few more conversations with him.

I'm sorry for your loss. My Dad is 81, and I'm trying to spend as much time as I can as well with him.
Posted By: antlers Re: Not long for this world. - 08/17/22
Spending time with him is gold, for him and you................. BUT! Do not deny him the blessing of giving you something......................... A lot of people say no because they don't 'need' it, can 'do it' themselves, or are just too proud.......... The giver wants and needs to give, and there must be someone to give to.
Sound wisdom.
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Not long for this world. - 08/17/22
Several months back I lost my best friend of 50+ years but before he went to the hospital for the last time he gave me a very expensive rigid LED light bar. Didn’t really need it and had to do mods for the roof rack to fit it but I’m glad I did. I got to spend the last day of his life in ICU holding his hand and telling stories to his adult children who were also sitting by his bedside. When I look at that light bar on the top of the truck I always think of my friend… Glad I excepted his generous gift.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Not long for this world. - 08/17/22
All of us have a limited time in this current life. Prayers sent.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Not long for this world. - 08/17/22
Damn sorry to hear about your co-worker's situation. You're a good man for even attempting to help out.

I've been thinking about some of my "stuff". No children (that I know of wink ) . Relative's kids that are old enough don't seem much interested in hunting or shooting, although one niece might be talked into it. Another nephew's kids are just getting started in school, so he may get to be caretaker for a couple of items for them until they reach the age of majority or whatever is necessary for them to take possession. Couple of siblings are like me, they have enough of their own to offload when the time comes, so they'll likely not be too interested in what I have or will not be much longer on this earth themselves.

If I have enough warning, y'all might see some items listed here in the future.
He wants to spend time with you... quite an honor to be so highly thought of. Prayers sent...
Posted By: 1minute Re: Not long for this world. - 08/17/22
I came into 3 firearms via that route. Fine arms, but I can't bring myself to use them .

Have the same issue with my equipment. One son, but if there's no xbox attached, he's not interested. Guess I'll sell off if I can see the light coming. If I'm hit by a truck, it's going to be a really fine estate sale.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Not long for this world. - 08/17/22
Originally Posted by 1minute
I came into 3 firearms via that route. Fine arms, but I can't bring myself to use them .

Have the same issue with my equipment. One son, but if there's no xbox attached, he's not interested. Guess I'll sell off if I can see the light coming. If I'm hit by a truck, it's going to be a really fine estate sale.
I know what you mean. I have a Sako in .223 with a custom stock and a fixed 10 Leupold scope. I know how good it shoots but I just can't seem to get it to the range or the field.

kwg

BUT!

IMHO.

^^^. Here is wisdom. Allow your friend to give you something and think of him when you see/use it. Thank you for the service you are rendering!

When my first wife died, some of her friends got together and wrote down some of their memories together with my wife. It’s been invaluable to my kids, especially my now 18 year old who was 9 at that time. Perhaps you can do something similar for his kids. Just one short story from his friends are enough.
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Not long for this world. - 08/17/22
Especially a pre-64 Win 70 and an unfired old Colt python.
Posted By: memtb Re: Not long for this world. - 08/18/22
Yes, do what you can and spend a little time with him.

I lost a friend that I hadn’t seen since ‘96. We occasionally talked on the phone, but, I’m bad about letting time slip away and going months without contact.

He called me last August or early September, recovering from major heart surgery (valve replacement and other stuff), we talked for a little bit….then he said that he was tired and was headed to the bedroom to catch a nap. As usual, caught up in my on life, I let a couple of months go by and then tried to call. The lines were disconnected and I had no way to contact him. I got a bad feeling, and checked the obits from his area. I discovered that my friend had passed soon after our talk! It still bothers me a lot that I didn’t call him much more often!

Do whatever you can……don’t live with a guilty conscience! memtb
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Not long for this world. - 08/18/22
My best friend is dying from prostate cancer, it's only a matter of a few months, if that long. My wife and I went to the doctor with him and his wife today, in order to help out, as he is too weak to hardly stand. It's very hard watching him slowly waste away, but he is ready to go. and knows where he's going when he leaves this world. About all you can do in cases like this is to just be there and let the person know that you'll do whatever you can to help out.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Not long for this world. - 08/18/22
You are doing blessed things for your pal - the best in those circumstances - and here's hoping that you can sustain your efforts. Just try to stay open to his wishes.

It was anything but short term, and the fellow had never been even an acquaintance beforehand. But once presented with the opportunity to try to be good for a guy that needed all sorts of things, I realized that doing so could be fulfilling and a major blessing. Caring, time and efforts well invested - the returns were lessons in life.
Wishing you all the best, spending time with your friend is tops.

I realize this must be hard for you too.

Enjoy each other's company. Take him to lunch if he's up to it.

Take care.

BUT!

IMHO.

Nicely done Muffin.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Not long for this world. - 08/18/22

BUT!

IMHO.
And again, well said...
I have lost an inordinate amount of friends to all kinds of cancer. I applaud anyone that looks after them when they are suffering, it is the right thing to do.
Originally Posted by CCCC
You are doing blessed things for your pal - the best in those circumstances - and here's hoping that you can sustain your efforts. Just try to stay open to his wishes.

It was anything but short term, and the fellow had never been even an acquaintance beforehand. But once presented with the opportunity to try to be good for a guy that needed all sorts of things, I realized that doing so could be fulfilling and a major blessing. Caring, time and efforts well invested - the returns were lessons in life.

And look where it led, Paul.
The rewards are enormous, and continue today!
Posted By: lightman Re: Not long for this world. - 08/18/22
Sorry to hear that your friend is in such bad shape. Good on you for trying to be there for him.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Not long for this world. - 08/18/22
Thanks for all the prayres and encouragement.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Not long for this world. - 01/27/23
My friend Ernie passed away a little over a week ago, I had planned to go see him but he couldn't hold on for one last visit. His family was able to be with him in the end, and he went peacefully from what I've been told.

I am in contact with his Daughter, and she asked me for help cleaning up her Dad's house. I went there yesterday and she told me "Dad said you get all his reloading stuff." So I spent the day helping her organize some things and loading the first load of reloading supplies and equipment. I'll go up next week to help her again and pick up the rest of the things he left me and discuss a couple of firearms I've agreed to buy.

He had some old powder cans and one keg I thought were pretty cool. They'll look great in the man cave along with a brick of Winchester Staynless LR primers, a couple of Lacmiller rifle and pistol die sets, and an old blue Pacific C press I still need to get.

Powder Cans & Keg

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Entirety of what I was able to haul home yesterday.

Posted By: tikkanut Re: Not long for this world. - 01/27/23
Originally Posted by taylorce1
My friend Ernie passed away a little over a week ago, I had planned to go see him but he couldn't hold on for one last visit. His family was able to be with him in the end, and he went peacefully from what I've been told.

I am in contact with his Daughter, and she asked me for help cleaning up her Dad's house. I went there yesterday and she told me "Dad said you get all his reloading stuff." So I spent the day helping her organize some things and loading the first load of reloading supplies and equipment. I'll go up next week to help her again and pick up the rest of the things he left me and discuss a couple of firearms I've agreed to buy.

He had some old powder cans and one keg I thought were pretty cool. They'll look great in the man cave along with a brick of Winchester Staynless LR primers, a couple of Lacmiller rifle and pistol die sets, and an old blue Pacific C press I still need to get.

Powder Cans & Keg

Entirety of what I was able to haul home yesterday.

been there done that.........twice

be careful of all that old powder....

some may be good.....some not

depending on storage of course
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Not long for this world. - 01/27/23
Sorry for the loss, RIP
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Not long for this world. - 01/27/23
What the hell is that 5 gallon drum ?

Oh Red Dot

Must have been a shotgun shooter

Posted By: tikkanut Re: Not long for this world. - 01/28/23
Originally Posted by JamesJr
My best friend is dying from prostate cancer, it's only a matter of a few months, if that long. My wife and I went to the doctor with him and his wife today, in order to help out, as he is too weak to hardly stand. It's very hard watching him slowly waste away, but he is ready to go. and knows where he's going when he leaves this world. About all you can do in cases like this is to just be there and let the person know that you'll do whatever you can to help out.

now that sucks.......try to enjoy your final times with him

Had a buddy in December have a stroke at 44 YO and pass away....

I was just with him camping a month earlier......
Posted By: Savageguy Re: Not long for this world. - 01/28/23
After I retired the first person to call was a guy I worked with till he retired earlier, he wanted to know if I wanted to go fishing, we crappie fished almost every Tuesday during spring through fall, played music every Thursday evening, he passed last September. I visited him a couple times every week even mowed his grass, really miss him, called each other about every day till cancer took it's toll. But he was saved and ready for heaven looking forward to seeing him again when I get there.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Not long for this world. - 01/28/23
Originally Posted by taylorce1
My friend Ernie passed away a little over a week ago,

Sorry to hear you lost your Bud, my condolences to you and his family.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Not long for this world. - 01/28/23
This thread reminds me of Fieldgrade.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Not long for this world. - 01/28/23
Originally Posted by tikkanut
been there done that.........twice

be careful of all that old powder....

some may be good.....some not

depending on storage of course

Old Hercules powder will probably never be used. The IMR except one partial can of 4831 is still sealed. It was all in a storage cabinet in a spare bedroom closet.
Posted By: Papag Re: Not long for this world. - 01/28/23
Lost a longtime friend two days ago. Waiting for his son to call and ask how to get rid of the hundreds, yes hundreds, of guns he had.
Posted By: Axl Re: Not long for this world. - 01/28/23
Like most of the old guns guys I've stored/accumulated up a lot of stuff. Last count was about 100 WWI/II firearms. Then when you add the helmets, bayonets, web gear, pistol bets, combat knives, ect its quite a bit. My kids aren't in the least bit interested. I taught JROTC in a large high school for fifteen years. many of my former students went on to become successful in military and civilian careers and stop by to see me often. I'm 71 - in a few years they will be smiling when they leave. I gave one a 1944 Browning High Power and a 1943 Walther P38 two weeks ago. 98 more to go.
I have some cans like that 1 old Bullseye that has not been opened.

Also several of the metal and cardboard cans,some still have powder.

My best friend had the radiation pills implanted last year for prostate cancer,so far he is showing clean.

He has changed somewhat over that time,like worrying about his firearms that i have at the house when he went

thru his divorce a few months ago.

Always claiming he don't know how much longer he's got and getting to act like he is real old,he will be 70 this year.

Don't really know what to think about this stuff.

Sorry for your loss of a friend.
Posted By: deflave Re: Not long for this world. - 01/28/23
Great time to pounce and get some freebies.

Divorces are equally as good. Typically.
Some folks collect old powder cans... maybe EBay them empty?
I am sure the rest of the stuff will sell in the Classifieds.

You are a good man for taking on this work for his family.
Enjoy what little time you have with your old friend, allow him to give something back too, and the Lord's blessings to the both of you!
Posted By: colodog Re: Not long for this world. - 01/28/23
It's all too familiar...

You get to keep some goodies with the obligation to help clear the clutter for the family.

I'm glad you made the effort to keep the connection, he held onto it too.

In the end that's all we get but that matters most.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Not long for this world. - 01/28/23
we never get used to it. The older we get the more friends fall behind. Just do what you can and be glad for the friendship.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Not long for this world. - 01/28/23
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Some folks collect old powder cans... maybe EBay them empty?

Hell no, they're cool and I have shelf space for them.
Posted By: memtb Re: Not long for this world. - 01/28/23
Do what you can to be a friend! I lost a friend of mine in late 2021. We hadn’t worked together since 1996, but we occasionally shared a phone call. Most often it was him making the call…..I always seemed to let life interfere with things I should do.

Anyway, I get this call from him, he’d just had major heart surgery (had similar 17 years prior), and was back at home, we talked for a bit…..then said he was tired and was gonna lie down for a nap! I let time slip away and about 6 weeks later starting trying to call him. No answer to my calls, he’d not been on Facebook in many weeks, and an internet search I found his obituary. Apparently, he’d passed soon after our conversation. This has bothered me greatly. Don’t be me! memtb
Posted By: jc189 Re: Not long for this world. - 01/28/23
Good for you for spending time with him and helping the family out. Your a good friend. Its tough to go through but you were there to help and that's what matters. It speaks of your character.
I had an old friend that I was in the Army with back in the 70's. He called me about 6 months ago and told me he had 2 weeks to live. He said the doc told him he was ate up with cancer. He was a Viet-Nam vet and saw his share of combat with the 1st Cavalry Division. We deer hunted and fished together a lot in our younger years. He moved to Michigan and I live in Florida. Last time I saw him was about 6 years ago. He called to say Good by. It was a tough phone call. I wish I could have been there for him.
Sorry for your loss.

Take care.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Not long for this world. - 01/28/23
Sorry that you lost your friend, and plaudits for what you did for him and are doing to help his family in the aftermath.

I have found that powders unopened/kept well sealed and properly stored - relatively dry and moderate temps - will remain good for a very long time. Hope that is the case - but do check condition.

As for his equipment that needs to go, the one case I experienced does not enable good advice. I did not want to receive anything of value from the fellow, and did not. As he requested, I tried to assist with the disposal efforts he began before passing. A scrambled mess developed due to his psych attachment to "stuff" and it was not fun. Eventually he did make some very significant gifts of firearms/equipment, and that was good. Due to the overall experience, I asked to not be involved one bit in dealing with what he left behind.

Seemingly doing fairly well, even after some serious health events, this issue has been on my mind and am thinking about the best way to deal with some nice goods rather than leave the tasks to family and friends. I totally trust my friends and know that they would do only the best for my wife/family, but would rather they be focused on our activities and memories rather than this stuff.

Once again - kudos for your efforts.
Posted By: LazyL0228 Re: Not long for this world. - 01/28/23
Got the phone call this morning 6 weeks or less for my best friend we grew up together done it all together both dirt poor when coming up in eastern Tenn. I moved up to Indiana at 18 years old got a union job in the natural gas industry. Jeff came up a year later to work with me. We have some great hunts and family times. Been seeing him quite a bit. Time is the greatest gift you can give him and for you.
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Not long for this world. - 01/28/23

BUT!

IMHO.

I agree with this.

But totally applaud you with spending the time with him and working on what's important to him, let alone the fellowship part - religious or otherwise.

It is your way of giving. Well done.
My time is short, like 20 years short of what I'd expected.
Part of my hoard is made up of treasured items from great friends now gone, plus I have some pet items that I would hope become well regarded and well USED by my loyal circle. I guess that's the way I won't just vanish after my ashes hit the dirt.
Posted By: roverboy Re: Not long for this world. - 01/28/23
Sorry to hear this. Knowing that you're going to lose a friend or family member is tough. You can only do what you're planning. Just be there for them.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Not long for this world. - 01/28/23
Originally Posted by deflave
Great time to pounce and get some freebies.

Divorces are equally as good. Typically.
C'mon Trav. You're better than that, even if you're just trying to be funny.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Not long for this world. - 01/29/23
Flave, Showing his true colors. Rio7
Posted By: Ringman Re: Not long for this world. - 01/29/23

BUT!

Im

IMHO.

I stayed at John Lachuk's house with him the last few weeks of his life. Some times I would hold his hand in mine while we watched TV. He wanted to give me things. At first I refused, then I realized if I was in his situation I would want to give stuff to someone who cared.

It was disgusting to see the way his son acted when he arrived. I stay for three months after he passed till his house sold.
© 24hourcampfire