Home
There is an auction coming up. Gentleman died thirty years ago so his shop is a time capsule. We got a glimpse in there today. Unbelievable is the best word to describe what we saw. Anyway, does anyone know what this tool is?

tool type

another view
Beard trimmer
Finger joint jig/cutter
It's definitely a jig.
textile tool
IDK...But now I want one!
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Can you identify this tool? - 08/17/22
imgur.com warning
This tool cuts Dovetail Joints in wood.
Originally Posted by Clarkm
imgur.com warning

did i post something i shouldn't have?
chambering reamer, 6.5 Creedmore
Originally Posted by velvet tines
Originally Posted by Clarkm
imgur.com warning

did i post something i shouldn't have?

Nah.

I saw it okay with no warning.

No clue what it is though. wink
Circumsizer.
Ah shoot, I was expecting a pic of ironbender!!!
looks like it ratchets to push something into the teeth.

prolly a match stick maker.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Can you identify this tool? - 08/17/22
Looks like a Ruffled Fore Skinner...
Whatever it is I don’t wan to try and look at it again. I got caught in a revolving turnstile.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Can you identify this tool? - 08/17/22
Maybe a corrugator.
He has some beautiful chisels there, and even a slick! I'd like to get my hands on those tools. For log cabin builders, or ship carpenters.
Looks like a plane with a blade that cuts corrugations….
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
He has some beautiful chisels there, and even a slick! I'd like to get my hands on those tools. For log cabin builders, or ship carpenters.

I'm going to post some more pictures if ya'll would be ok with it. There is an unbelievable amount of cool, old tools in this shop. all for sale next week in Baldwin County Alabama. You could spend a day in there and not see or touch everything.
more pictures of his tools and the cool things he had:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

What is this?:

Another view?

Pig castrator. For him being dead for 30 years there sure isn't much rust or dust on stuff.
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: Can you identify this tool? - 08/18/22
Evnin, toe nail cutter??? 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦 GWP
Originally Posted by 160user
Pig castrator. For him being dead for 30 years there sure isn't much rust or dust on stuff.

I noticed that too and asked the auctioneer (estate sales gentleman). He said the man that died was very meticulous about his tools. Everything had been wiped with oil and was clean. Most of the tags you see on the tools were written by the man that died. If someone gave him a tool, he notated when and from who. He also notated what some things were on the tags. I didn't see signs of rats/mice either. It was very clean considering the age.

A rug stretcher

For the one you posted 2 pictures of

Yes!!! I would love those chisels!!! You can have the slick.

And some nice augers!!! No box joint pliers???? What gives??? Least I didn’t see any🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edit. Ok one pair that would qualify as box joint 😉😉😉😉
I recognize the nail pullers. I may have a few hours on one of them.
Felt stretcher
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I recognize the nail pullers. I may have a few hours on one of them.

They are really clean too!
Posted By: norm99 Re: Can you identify this tool? - 08/18/22
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

And some nice augers!!! No box joint pliers???? What gives??? Least I didn’t see any🤣🤣🤣🤣

did not see a slick in the first picture just i 1 1/2 inch chisel , the slick i have is about 12 to 14 inches of steel over 3 inches wide with a 14 inch handle.
I know many of those . It looks like my Dads accumulations in condition and volume . I can spend hours in his shop just soaking it all up. You’ve heard jack of all trades and master of none, my Dad is a master with them all . Shoes I could never hope to fill with his talent from master carpenter , electrician , plumbing , gun stock maker , fiddle restoration , forester , hunting , fishing. The list goes on and on. Two buildings full of hand tools , old and in perfect condition. Every woodworking tool / machine you could imagine along with plumbing, electrical fittings . Caning chair seats on and on. He’s an extremely rare breed even at 87. His name is Leon , a proud Old Kentuckian
Posted By: norm99 Re: Can you identify this tool? - 08/18/22
nice bunch of spoke shaves . dont see any draw knives.
Originally Posted by norm99

did not see a slick in the first picture just i 1 1/2 inch chisel , the slick i have is about 12 to 14 inches of steel over 3 inches wide with a 14 inch handle.

The slick is the third tool from the left. It is about the size you describe. It doesn't have a handle.
Thingamujig fer a Whutyamucallit! A door squeezer!
Originally Posted by norm99

The slick is the third tool from the left. It is about the size you describe. It doesn't have a handle.

Slicks come in a lot of different sizes. Seems the 2" is about the most common with guys I know who use them. Another tool I've wanted to have in my collection but most guys who have them used want a ton of money for them.

Great set of spoke shaves. I would love to have a couple of the different radius convex spokeshaves. You just don't see those around much any more....
Posted By: kennyd Re: Can you identify this tool? - 08/18/22
Saw tooth setting tools, 1st pic
Lamp tops, h ard to scale

Back when we were gsppier with less stuff, but craftsmanship
© 24hourcampfire