Home
What is a good brad to go with?
American Harvest
I got one of those stainless ones from LEM. I like it, but cannot figure out why it does not have a drip tray. I line the bottom with foil and all is well, but it should come with a drip tray.
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
American Harvest

I’ve got an American harvest that’s 15 yrs old or more.

Got it at the Walmarks.

Make sure you get one with a temp controller.

Some of the basic ones do not.
I’ve had one of the American Harvest Snackmasters for 20-odd years. Keeps on chuggin’, and you can still buy trays for it. Right now the China Doll is cranking out peaches, 7 trays at a time. Saves space in the freezer, and they’re very tasty.
I have an American Harvest Snackmaster that's so old it's made mammoth jerky, made a batch of jerky for my hunt.

Kent
I use this one.

https://excaliburdehydrator.com/products/excalibur-9-tray-no-timer-solid-door-black
Another vote for excalibur. Used the cheap nesco and american harvest for several years, the excalibur blows them away. The cheapies are used for drying brass now.
20+YO Mr.Coffee round 5 tray.

$29 at Walmart[last time I stepped foot in one].

It's not about the dehydrator though. wink
Done ronco, nesco, etc… over the last 30 or so years.

Excalibur all the way, I’d go timer with less trays if forced to choose and shopping to a price point.
American Harvest here. I don't make jerky often enough to justify the $300+ for the fancier units. Just make sure you get one with square/rectangle trays. They are much better than round. Especially if you're using a jerky gun to lay out your strips.
Originally Posted by Raeford

I didn’t even have to go in to get mine.

Pulled up. Tooted the horn and they brought it out to me.

#trailblazer
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

I didn’t even have to go in to get mine.

Pulled up. Tooted the horn and they brought it out to me.

#trailblazer

Listen Buster, we don't do none of that fancy curbside whatchamajigger stuff round these parts!
I was blindfolded and dragged into the Walmarts that time!
If Don's One Stop Shop don't have it on the shelf then we don't need it!

That what Laura runs for us.

Does lots of red meat jerky and some fruits and veggies (not so good there). Figs did fair. Kiwis were better.

Did some tuna and Sierra jerky last year that was outstanding... I'll do a post if we try that again. Tabasco or Honey Mustard... still playing.
Whatever you get, get one that costs $15,000 so you can come back here swinging big cock about how much money you spent.

It has to be one that runs off of 3 phase current and that you built a dedicated building just it and its purpose.

And have a couple of silver pigeon shotguns in the background when you post pics and maybe a 2/3 smoked $21 cigar and some brown water.

I gots me one a them two. From the Wally's, long afore they went woke. Not gonna shop there no more, not gonna use them fancy automatical machines kneether. Well, I do go to there glasses departmint, they gots the kind I like.

an, i gots a 'murican harvester two. thats the 1 likes to use the best, but if'n I gots a lots of stuff to dry out, I yuse em both.
Get a big one, if'n you're gonna run it might as well have it full.
Get the rectangular shape as mentioned, not a round one. I have a gourmet elite round one it doesn't hold much.
I put it outside in the heat, no sense in pumping out hot air in the house in the summer time.
Mine is sitting here at work, I run it around the clock during/after deer season.
I run it at night at home, bring it to work and run a batch here.
Rinse
Repeat

We 'jerk' 3,4 whole deer every year
Has at least 1k hours on it[probably more like 2-3K] and works like a champ.
When it fails I'll chuck it.
Go down to store and get another.
Mine is sitting here at work, I run it around the clock during/after deer season.
I run it at night at home, bring it to work and run a batch here.
Rinse
Repeat

We 'jerk' 3,4 whole deer every year
Has at least 1k hours on it[probably more like 2-3K] and works like a champ.
When it fails I'll chuck it.
Go down to store and get another.
To the WalMart? eek
Don's one Stop Shop......I ain'ta goin back to the Walmarts
I've got a couple of them but the round stackable tray one, I think it is an American Harvest Snackmaster, is the one we use the most for just about everything ... and we use it a lot.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Whatever you get, get one that costs $15,000 so you can come back here swinging big cock about how much money you spent.

It has to be one that runs off of 3 phase current and that you built a dedicated building just it and its purpose.

And have a couple of silver pigeon shotguns in the background when you post pics and maybe a 2/3 smoked $21 cigar and some brown water.

Does Stihl make one? That would be epic.
Originally Posted by Pappy348

A two stroke one would be the tits!
I had an American Harvest for many years, but I gave it away after I got a Waring dehydrator. The Waring's top setting is much hotter at 175 degrees, in case you ever dry meat that could harbor trichinosis.
I set one out on the back porch to keep the hot air out of the house. Looked out and the damn coons were raiding it.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I would get one with a Brick Oven pizza attachment on the side. And a little horsey on top bourbon dispenser

I admire that

You suckin social security, living in a 12x20 shed, framed houses all your life, avoided the draft in ‘68, worked under the table all your life, now only able to draw $563 a month base minimum. Killed a bobcat or two.

Youre my hero

I admire that

You suckin social security, living in a 12x20 shed, framed houses all your life, avoided the draft in ‘68, worked under the table all your life, now only able to draw $563 a month base minimum. Killed a bobcat or two.

Youre my hero

What's for dinner Raefort?

"Potted meat from Don's, I buy the stuff what went past its "best by" date from Don for a discount. Unless you want some bobcat jerky. "
Ground Pig jerky & fresh maters on the side.
Ground Pig jerky & fresh maters on the side.
Which holler you live in?

I'll be there as soon as I can drive the 2500 miles.........................which won't happen until gas comes down a bit more.

I'm on SS too!
3rd holler past tha QuickMart on the frontage road.

See if I can't hustle up some gophers.
Need several as a 1/3rd gopher would only arouse me appetite without putting it to bed satisfactorily.
Just finishing a batch of jerky for the rest of my antelope hunt.

If you want rectangle racks and high volume... though 6 rounds trays does a big roast fine... just use the oven, but put foil on the bottom to catch the drippings or the wife will get mad at the mess.

Kent

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I'm just glad we can discuss these issues and help a pal come to a decision on one of life's most important small appliances!
When I was a kid we lived on the family 40 acres until I was 7, granddad made jerky on the barbed wire fence next to the houses. He had a hard fast rule of no snitching the jerky. He would go out at night and come back later, we all knew he was snitching the jerky... he claimed testing...

One evening he comes back in gagging and spitting, seems he drop a piece in the dark and felt around under the fence, found it and popped it in his mouth... it was a dried dog turd...

When I got older I just made it in the oven, till I got married and the wife didn't like the cleanup.

Kent
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I'm just glad we can discuss these issues and help a pal come to a decision on one of life's most important small appliances!
Damn glad the OP didn't ask about

chainsaws.
We've got one of these Emeril Lagasse French Door air fryers that someone gave us as a gift. It's great to air fry with .... the book says we can also use it as a dehydrator. I've not tried it yet.
You guys are a century ahead of me. I smoke my jerky, in an old stainless tool locker, with a hot plate as the smoke maker. Dry fruit and veggies in a round plastic type thingy.
Originally Posted by krp
Just finishing a batch of jerky for the rest of my antelope hunt.

If you want rectangle racks and high volume... though 6 rounds trays does a big roast fine... just use the oven, but put foil on the bottom to catch the drippings or the wife will get mad at the mess.

Kent

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Same unit i have....

Same aged offwhite color. 🤣😂🤣😂

Bought one at the dirt cheap salvage store for the extra trays. Unit didn’t work. Gave a couple dollars for it. Like $50 with 90% off type store. 😂🤣😂
Originally Posted by Valsdad

That occurred to me, but I left it out to leave some “room” for the other wags.
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
American Harvest
again yes, I have enough extra trays that it will take 15 pounds of boneless beef rump sliced 1/4 inch thick in one batch. It takes about 24 hours to dry a batch that size.

I made two 15 pound batches a few weeks ago. I use Hi Mountain jerkey cure. It is available in several flavors.
© 24hourcampfire