Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck knife vs knife - 08/28/22
How do Havalon replaceable blade knives compare to Outdoor Edge? Is Havalon worth the extra money? Just to look at them, the OE blades look more sturdy but I've never handled either.
Posted By: brassman Re: knife vs knife - 08/28/22
Outdoor edge is heavier/ more sturdy. Havalon is more like a finger knife. I have both and prefer the outdoor edge. I can keep track of the blade better. They make a 3 or 3.5” blade.
Posted By: scrooster Re: knife vs knife - 08/28/22
I've got a Havalon Piranha I think it's called ... and a pack of spare blades. I keep it in the console in my truck as a get-home backup knife. It's a decent knife for what it is ... it cuts and it's not a big investment and it just sits in there waiting for the time when I need it. I don't own an Outdoor Edge so I couldn't offer an honest comparison.

I keep a camp axe and an RTAK II in my truck toolbox with some other get-home stuff.

Always figured I could cut my seatbelt in a hurry with the Havalon if need-be ... and other stuff if necessary. But it's not an EDC pocketknife for me. Strictly a truck knife.
Posted By: lubbockdave Re: knife vs knife - 08/28/22
Originally Posted by brassman
Outdoor edge is heavier/ more sturdy. Havalon is more like a finger knife. I have both and prefer the outdoor edge. I can keep track of the blade better. They make a 3 or 3.5” blade.

exactly what he said-only thing I could add is the Havalon blades break easy-last thing I want is a bit of razor floating around in what I may be elbow deep in..
Posted By: lvmiker Re: knife vs knife - 08/28/22
I have only used the Havalon Piranta and I find it ideal. Make sure to buy replacement blades from a surgical supply and avoid the chink knockoffs. Mine has been used for about 7 years w/out a problem.

mike r
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: knife vs knife - 08/28/22
I prefer the OE myself.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: knife vs knife - 09/07/22
First time I saw a Havalon used a blade broke off deep in a critter, and a long long ways from help. I stick to OE.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: knife vs knife - 09/07/22
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I prefer the OE myself.

I use the outdoor edge.

Work good for what they work good for….

Plus you can get the blades at the Walmarks, academy and even lowes now.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: knife vs knife - 09/07/22
How well do OE's gut hook blades work? I've heard that some brands clog up with fat & stuff and don't work all that well. I've never used a guthook. I've always just used my fingers and hunting knife but I wouldn't mind trying out one that's recommended.
Posted By: Raeford Re: knife vs knife - 09/07/22
Never used the guthook on my OE.
After one year of using a Havalon I'm thinking that I'll switch back to the OE
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: knife vs knife - 09/07/22
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
How well do OE's gut hook blades work? I've heard that some brands clog up with fat & stuff and don't work all that well. I've never used a guthook. I've always just used my fingers and hunting knife but I wouldn't mind trying out one that's recommended.

I use the strap cutter made by Gerber. Slick as snot and great for skinning legs, too.

https://www.rescue-essentials.com/d...Tj_7fQom0pDa9LgyTMIyaFe-wo0aAiHXEALw_wcB
Posted By: saddlesore Re: knife vs knife - 09/07/22
I have never used a gut hook that continued working. As noted they clog up. I use the Havalon for finer work like removing back strap, cutting around the pelvic bone when using the no gut method, or maybe caping out the skull. Anything else I use a fixed blade heavy duty knife I know won't break.
I have never been one to try to make one knife so it all. Especially those small 2-3" bladed ones.
Posted By: ehunter Re: knife vs knife - 09/07/22
I like the gut hook it does have some plugging up more on elk than deer. But mine works well.
Posted By: deflave Re: knife vs knife - 09/07/22
Dog schit and junk.
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: knife vs knife - 09/07/22

If it has a replaceable blade, they clog up quickly (particularly hair) for skinning and gutting plus they are a PIA to get completely clean. Otherwise, I find the OE knife handy for most cutting tasks but the blade is a little too flexible for cutting tough stuff.

For gutting I like the Gerber Vital Zip plus it has a standard replaceable blade.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: knife vs knife - 09/07/22
I use the larger Havalon while processing game. Nothing trims steaks like a razor blade.

P
Posted By: stxhunter Re: knife vs knife - 09/07/22
I use a razor carpet knife.
Posted By: marksman1941 Re: knife vs knife - 09/07/22
Depends on the critter. i've used a havalon Piranta on the past ~5 or so blacktail and it's been fantastic. I like smaller knives that I can feel better though, and also use a Knives of Alaska Cub Bear quite a bit. Larger knives never feel as precise to me. But, I never had an issue with my Havalon.
Posted By: boatboy Re: knife vs knife - 09/07/22
I have been using Havalon for processing
I have the small piranha to start and not I also have a large one

I use both, I use the small for field dressing
I think they are awesome

Hank
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: knife vs knife - 09/07/22
Agree with the ones not using the Havalon when elbows deep in a critter. Outdoor Edge or better yet a conventional lock back or fixed for the heavy duty stuff, back off the neck, elk ivories, etc.

I have never tried a gut hook type knife of any type, so no opinion there.

I do really like the Havalon for skinning coyotes, bobcats, and fox however.
Posted By: Remsen Re: knife vs knife - 09/07/22
Gut hook knives are almost as useful as butt-out tools.
Posted By: Lslite Re: knife vs knife - 09/07/22
4" Victorinox boner is a good alternative.
Posted By: smokepole Re: knife vs knife - 09/07/22
Much easier to change the blades on the Outdoor Edge than a Havalon.
Posted By: pointer Re: knife vs knife - 09/07/22
Originally Posted by smokepole
Much easier to change the blades on a Gerber Vital which uses the same blades as the Havalon. IMO, a better mouse trap than the Havalon and uses the same very affordable scapel blades. I'm fond of the #70
Posted By: Calvin Re: knife vs knife - 09/07/22
OE as a primary knife and havalon as a backup.
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: knife vs knife - 09/07/22

Perhaps a bit of a flinty (another word for cheap-azz) Vermont/Scots approach, but the carpet trimming blades in a box cutter (or one of those Gerber box cutter blade holders) make great gut hooks IME. And at the price, affordable as ....all getout!

After all, the gut hook is only being used for one cut on any given deer. The bulk of the work is done with a different style blade. Why wag the dog with a gut hook? Better to focus on what is important, and put the money in that part.
Posted By: smokepole Re: knife vs knife - 09/08/22
Originally Posted by pointer
Much easier to change the blades on a Gerber Vital which uses the same blades as the Havalon. IMO, a better mouse trap than the Havalon and uses the same very affordable scapel blades. I'm fond of the #70

Easier than the OE, or the Havalon? Hard to picture anything being very much easier than the OE, you just push a button and the blade comes out.
Posted By: pointer Re: knife vs knife - 09/08/22
Originally Posted by pointer

Easier than the OE, or the Havalon? Hard to picture anything being very much easier than the OE, you just push a button and the blade comes out.
Easier than the Havalon. I've not used an OE.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: knife vs knife - 09/08/22
An X-Acto Knife fits me...

pee wee
Posted By: P_Weed Re: knife vs knife - 09/08/22
Originally Posted by deflave
Dog schit and junk.
I'll take your word for it...
I haven't tasted one myself.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: knife vs knife - 09/08/22
Posted By: Ramdiesel Re: knife vs knife - 09/08/22
I use a Cutco fixed blade heavy duty knife and a havalon piranha. The havalon is good for skinning and cutting off the easy to get too strips of meat like backstraps...The cutco works pretty well for everything though, I just like having a light backup knife like the Havalon...
Posted By: kappa8 Re: knife vs knife - 09/08/22
My primary knife has been an OE folder for 20 years. Couple years back my buddy was using Havalon; handled it & didn't care for it. I used the OE Razorlite 3.5" on moose last year and worked great! Total of 4-5 blades for the entire process; gutting, quartering, skinning, breaking down quarters. Zero issues with blades.
© 24hourcampfire