Home
Go pick up Slumlord at 630.
It's about a 90 min drive.
Always has been a good field.
Cut corn , sunflowers, and millet.
Gotta get their early to get a good spot, woke up with a different spot in mind.
Since it hasn't rained, gonna set up at end of sunflower rows with the sun shelter and use dark side of burlap on top of it.
Birds hate soggy rain soaked sunflower and will hit the hard grain like the millet and corn.
I have seen that go down on this field in the past.
Tuck that shelter in between 2 rows of sunflowers and simply adjust its orientation for shade thru the day.

Always get cockblocked by all the late arrivals sitting in the middle of the feild anyways.

Original plan in my head was to sit along western woodline.
Then thinking about it all
Sit at end transistion of sunflower rows on the field based on where they are planted this year.
No birds to speak of here. Odd.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Was gonna set up along that thin strip woodline just off the 4 way on west side to its immediate north.

Thought when I got up.
Get dust from vehicles all day.
Birds running the gaunlet from the east like always.

Sunflower rows tucked in middle of feild mo better...
Son and I headed up to Portland to my Nephews place, he has 15 acres of sunflowers and some millet. Bunch of THPs shoot with him, we go every year that we can. Videos show good numbers this year.
Got invited to a private hunt down in Humphreys county, so I guess that is where I'm going

Good luck
Saturday... hopefully.
I'd LOVE to. But, I don't know where there's even a half decent dove field anymore.
Brothers and I have three small ponds with water in drought stricken western Ks.
They’re loaded with doves.
Season starts in about an hour. We are having coffee and biscuits and gravy then the shooting starts.
Originally Posted by Yoder409
I'd LOVE to. But, I don't know where there's even a half decent dove field anymore.

^^^ Yea, me too ^^^ I grew up Dove hunting, Had great shooting Damn near right in my back yard. No problem limiting out when ever you went. It was that way for years. well, you can't stop progress. those hunting spots turned into commercial warehouse's and parking lots. Had to drive maybe 35-40 minutes but still had great hunting near agg fields. several years after that everything turned into concrete and pavement. I haven't had a good dove shoot in over 25 years. I sure do miss it. Fun times.
Good luck to everyone going... bust some fuzz!! laugh
Too much water, has rained every day for two weeks.
Good luck to all that are going. We have our annual hunt scheduled for this weekend but lost one of the founding members this year so not as excited as usual.
Dove opening is tomorrow, here. I’m planning to get out Saturday and Sunday.
Good luck!

Bacon wrapped doves sure sounds good….
Central zone, Texas, dove season opener is today 9/1. Will not make the morning hunt, but will be at my lease this afternoon thru Sunday.

ya!

GWB
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Good luck!

Bacon wrapped doves sure sounds good….
I got the shîts already just thinking about em
Told him to get some dry pine twigs.
Burn em up into ash.
Put in a 6 oz cup of water and drink it .

That sounds icky...😄😄😄

Hasn't listened to my advice for a decade....

But eats raw hamburger...🤢🤢🤢🤔🤔🤔
Like its 15,000 BC and schitt.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🥴🥴🥴😄😄😄
Will be on Ft Knox wasting shells at high flying birds later today. There was a ton of doves in the neighborhood on Monday, a few on Tuesday, and even less yesterday.
Good luck to all!
Good luck to you dove hunter's today!

I'm in the South Zone, and it doesn't open until Sept.14th.

But with all the rain beforehand, I don't have very high expectations.
Good luck guys! Ours opens the 24th.
Just sitting in the AC in the truck.

Killing time .....
Originally Posted by renegade50

Killing time .....

Still raining here and 70 degrees. We’ve had 4.5” of rain the last 2 days. I’m guessing what few doves we had here local are headed to Mexico. 😡

Rene, I thought you were having your knee surgery???

Hope you have lots of birds to shoot !

Did you ever try out your new Riot Gun ?
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Killing time .....

Still raining here and 70 degrees. We’ve had 4.5” of rain the last 2 days. I’m guessing what few doves we had here local are headed to Mexico. 😡

Knee surgery was back in early july man.

Homie 100% on stable left knee now.
👍👍👍👍
Breffust of champs

Nope. No good place nearby without ponying up $100 or so. Maybe later when they allow pay-if-you-get-some-shootin’.

Waiting for the shooting to start in the neighboring farms. Birds been wingin’ it overhead all morning.
Time to cook the hot dogs 🤠
Back teeth are floatin
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ slumlord brought sausages, jet stove, new miniature frying pan.
Like 28 bucks worth of chubby treats.
He wants to start cooking his schitt at 11 in the sun shelter .

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Me???
2 cans vienna,s, can of beefaroni, 4 squished oat meal pies .
Plastic spoon.

Dude is killing me with emeril cooking show he wants to put on.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤣🤣🤣🤣

Killing time .....

Knee surgery was back in early july man.

Homie 100% on stable left knee now.
👍👍👍👍

Good deal!
Originally Posted by slumlord
Breffust of champs

Slum’s Lilly white legs are gonna flare doves like crazy. Don’t stand to close to him Rene, or you won’t get too many shots. 😬😜🤠
About an hour and half for me this morning for a limit. Every opener for about the past 18 years has been myself, a contractor I use at work, and a retired customer of his who is now in his mid 70's. The only time the 3 of us ever get together, but every 9/1 we are there, usually on a public hunting area, but sometimes one of his private fields depending on what the crop situation is.

I don't know how I can fold a hard flying crosser at 40 yards with one shot, and then use 3 shells on an incoming slow bird and never draw a feather...

Forgot my phone in the truck, so had to settle for an after the fact 'grille' shot. My boy likes going to get out of school and eat junk food. The school always call up asking where he is 'he is dove hunting, its opening day', wife said they just laughed. Guess I better get him a shotgun bought for next year.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I'll be making Pat's annual hunt in October with my middle son. Always a good time with plenty of birds missed. I can't handle eating them even when hidden by jalapeños and bacon.
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ slumlord brought sausages, jet stove, new miniature frying pan.
Like 28 bucks worth of chubby treats.
He wants to start cooking his schitt at 11 in the sun shelter .

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Me???
2 cans vienna,s, can of beefaroni, 4 squished oat meal pies .
Plastic spoon.

Dude is killing me with emeril cooking show he wants to put on.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤣🤣🤣🤣

LOL. Veinna sausages and and those orange Lance brand peanut butter & crackers are good to go hunting foods. Throw in a snickers bar for desert.

Hope y’all have more birds than I’m seeing. Zero flying here with the rain. Haven’t even seen any pigeons or ring necked dove either. Haven’t fired a shot all morning.
Does y’all’s Season Opener not start till noon ???

Started At sunrise here.
Originally Posted by EdM
I'll be making Pat's annual hunt in October with my middle son. Always a good time with plenty of birds missed. I can't handle eating them even when hidden by jalapeños and bacon.

That’s about the only way I’ll eat them anymore.
Just throw away the dove Breast and eat the jalapeño and bacon. 😬

Plenty of doves here, but I don't hunt them. Don't eat them, and I'd rather waste shotgun shells on critters that I hate........like squirrels and possums.
am I missing anything today on Gateway Pundit?
Got a few birds. Both mourning and whitewings. Just no interest. Was hoping the deer lease hunters would come up this weekend and start blasting them. I doubt they will.
going to try and make Pats this yr.
Originally Posted by slumlord
am I missing anything today on Gateway Pundit?

PM Old toot your celly #.

He can keep you abreast of the breaking news.
Going to try and get out Saturday. Hopefully the are a few morning doves mixed in with the collard that I ahoot every chance I get.

Good luck
Just scouted an old abandoned homestead that I'd hunted years ago. Absolutely loaded with dove. Probably hunt it this afternoon with son. Really need a third hunter for a pincer effect.
Getting cock blocked bad ....

Probably about 15 of us on.aboit 25 acres of sunflowers

Probably 25 people cutting off the main power line coming onto the field.

Ww2 anti air craft parties of guys.

Kinda sucks for opportunity for people actually in the boundaries of the field.

Neither of us have fired a shot yet.

They cant get onto the field cause of the lines and groups of power line guys
Literally 100,s of shots so far.
Heading out around 2 to hunt the orchard border on the family rice. No one else around except me and my bud. Usually do a almond orchard south but going to be hotter than hell there today. Bird numbers always good but 110 degrees not so good.
Going to a dirt tank on a small 400sq mile chunk of blm in a few hours should get a limit if im not too rusty
Don’t go anymore, had a deer lease in Coleman Texas that had about half under cultivation. That place ruined me. Doves, quail, deer out the ass.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
going to try and make Pats this yr.

Oct 6-9.
Taking the boy and some friends in an hr or so. Setting up in a wheat field. Getting excited. This year we're getting filmed for a local hunting and fishing show. Probably have to keep the beers until after. It's 95⁰ out though.
Never killed a dove.

Not many around here, no one really hunts them.
Always a few here at the house, but you never see many anywhere.

Sounds like fun if you don't have to put up with what Renegade is
describing.
No birds around, and it's been warm enough to not chase them south.

The drought has them avoiding this flyway altogether. The guy I let shoot on my small place had four, every dove he saw today. This is a traditional honey hole for dove hunting.

I might try this evening for a couple for lunch tomorrow.

It was the forest grouse opener here in NV today, and I always hit the spots with my grandson, but this year neuropathy has me tottering so bad I don't dare walk the steep mountains and canyons filled with brush and boulders. He'll have to try for a couple of birds and bring me some blues.

I have two collared doves on the place that raised a family and stay here by the house. Wife and I like seeing them at the bird feeder and fountain.

Good shooting everyone. I hope they're flying. wink
Miss dove hunting! Hope you all kill some birds. "It Flies It Dies"!
Went out this morning sat on a 5 gal bucket in the shade of a cedar tree. field out in frt to the north is a half section of sunflowers. Shot 10 for 24 rds. Light wind steady action we had it all to our selves...mb
Where'd bevis n butthead go ?
I hate the ack ack moved in next door reny. I hope everyone slays them
Hopefully Rene & Slum are slaying them this afternoon. I turn my phone off when I’m shooting birds.

Rained again here this afternoon, nothing flying. At least it’s only 70 degrees outside. 🤠
Have sunflowers & millet & 3 grain in the field

More damm 'collared doves' than the real doves locally

they are free to shoot 24/7
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Yep. They taste the same, too. 😬
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Yep. They taste the same, too. 😬

good to know

WTSHF...........I'll remember that

sit on my patio with the 17M2 and remove their heads

I was too busy with harvest today.
My son is bugging me to get out there.
Down behind out place is 400 acres of chopped corn on the river bottom. No one else hunts it so Saturday morning should be legit.
Good luck to all the shooters out there. Don't forget to lead those buggers.
Shot a limit of 15 by 9:00 this morning in eastern Colorado. Dove hunting is a great way to kick off the hunting season.
Three of us 15 bird limits by 8:15
What the heck happened to Slum and Rene ???

Still waiting for a hunting story or two. 😬
Been known to shoot everyday of the week for 2 weeks, sometimes 2 shoots a day. Just obsessed about it. Finally got my fill for the most part.

Saving shot to hell knees & stamina for big Saturday shoot & party afterward. Can't complain as I've killed my share, & likely more. Should just go to more shoots & enjoy the day & not hit it so hard. Shoot a limit, OK. Shoot 2 birds, just enjoy the day. We used to make it a competition. It's a better day for all that.
Got home at 830
We stayed till 645
Worst dove ever I ever been on.
Didnt kill a single bird

Not going back to Camden next year.
Going to check out a couple more in region 2 over the next week or 2 to get eyes on.

This power line was probably 350 yds from us.

Power line cut is probably 150 yes wide.

Literally had to be 40 to 50 people in singles and up to groups of 7 to 8 sky blasting the power line area entrance the field 150yds wide by 200yds deep.
Must have been 1500 to 1700 shots from that area

Birds got on the field seldomly running that gaunlet.

0 opportunity for anyone else on field basically.
And 0 desire to sit anywhere near that BS to just shoot a bird.
They mass sky busters were literally drop birds 75 80 plus yds up from groups of combined amount of lead they were throwing up.
Sounded like ripple fire from a civil war movie

It really fuucking sucked today.

pellet rain thruout the day.
Thst was not a biggie
But the game pig cock blockers probably got themselves some nice group pics with a pile of doves on tailgates for their facebook buds.

This goes on every year at Camden for the last 3 years.
This year it seemed like it magnified by a factor x2 or x3.

That's what went down today
Lots of people around us on that southern 25 acres of sunflowers were not too pleased about the power line happenings.

Fugg it got some more fields to hit over the next couple of weeks.
Beats staying at home
And it's also tree rat season.

And of course "pics or it never happened" didnt happen today.

Like to see some pics from posters who said they had a good day dove hunting today.

👍👍👍
Originally Posted by blanket
Three of us 15 bird limits by 8:15
Pics????
Originally Posted by RUM7
I was too busy with harvest today.
My son is bugging me to get out there.
Down behind out place is 400 acres of chopped corn on the river bottom. No one else hunts it so Saturday morning should be legit.
Good luck to all the shooters out there. Don't forget to lead those buggers.
That would be a great place

Would be cool to have some more hunters to keep some birds moving
👍👍👍
New field today. Bought by the dnr 5 years ago. Had a farming lease until this year. Put the maximum 50 acres of dove plots in wheat and sunflowers. Well managed, awesome shoot
No picks, 224th has pics of his limit. I just shuck them.

Was gonna set up along that thin strip woodline just off the 4 way on west side to its immediate north.

Thought when I got up.
Get dust from vehicles all day.
Birds running the gaunlet from the east like always.

Sunflower rows tucked in middle of feild mo better...
In this pic if ya look at the big middle power line
From the eastern edge of the woods north and south wood lines
Going to the west about 200 yds into the feild is where all those people were stacked up azz,s and elbows together.
Really fuuuked it up for everyone else on the feild.

And fuuuk being in that area next to all that going on.
Son and I had our limits by 5:00, a few birds before 3:30 then it tuned on! I had four shells left out of a box for my 15, just really good shot opportunities. I never do that well...
Hate to hear that you had a bad day. I hunted Sherril, a TWRA leased field in Bledsoe county and everyone got there limit. Best hunt I've been on in years. Son-in-laws first dove hunt and he got his 15. We had one entire back corner to ourselves and put the beatdown on em. It kills the Bennell fanboys when the old guy with a OG Remmy lemmen hunerd whoops down on em.
Looking at some of the lease fields that open back up saturday morning.
Got 3 in Wilson county
And another in Maury
Got home at 830
We stayed till 645
Didnt kill a single bird

Going to check out a couple more in region 2 over the next week or 2 to get eyes on.

Literally had to be 40 to 50 people in singles and up to groups of 7 to 8 sky blasting the power line area entrance the field 150yds wide by 200yds deep.

They mass sky busters were literally drop birds 75 80 plus yds up from groups of combined amount of lead they were throwing up.

Thst was not a biggie
But the game pig cock blockers probably got themselves some nice group pics with a pile of doves on tailgates for their facebook buds.

Lots of people around us on that southern 25 acres of sunflowers were not too pleased about the power line happenings.

Beats staying at home

Like to see some pics from posters who said they had a good day dove hunting today.

👍👍👍

Sorry to hear that Rene. Hate that kind of “hunting”.
Been on a few Corporate Hunts like that when I worked in the Gun Industry. The only “good thing” about them were the food and the beer. And free Shotgun shells. 😬 Bunch of idiots shooting at doves a 100 yards away, and everyone getting rained on by tons of pellets. Total lack of any kind of Gun Safety.
Surprised no one ever got shot. 😡

Nothing but rain here and no birds flying whatsoever.
And more rain predicted through the weekend.
At least you actually saw a few birds. And Slum fed you well. 😜

Hope you have better luck on some of the other fields you hunt. Still waiting to hear how your new Riot Gun shoots. Before I buy one. 😬
Got home at 830
We stayed till 645
Didnt kill a single bird

Thst was not a biggie

Beats staying at home

👍👍👍

Sorry to hear that Rene. Hate that kind of “hunting”.
Been on a few Corporate Hunts like that when I worked in the Gun Industry. The only “good thing” about them were the food and the beer. And free Shotgun shells. 😬 Bunch of idiots shooting at doves a 100 yards away, and everyone getting rained on by tons of pellets. Total lack of any kind of Gun Safety.
Surprised no one ever got shot. 😡

Nothing but rain here and no birds flying whatsoever.
And more rain predicted through the weekend.
At least you actually saw a few birds. And Slum fed you well. 😜

Hope you have better luck on some of the other fields you hunt. Still waiting to hear how your new Riot Gun shoots. Before I buy one. 😬
Will have tgt pics to post on the riot gun hopefully in next week or 2
Just ain't had a good cool day to get to the range.
Cheatham range opens at 10 am.
Frigging been hot last couple of weeks is what has been holding me up.
Just hoping for some cooler weather is basically holding me up.

Don't even wanna dwell anymore today about the flak battery crap.
Done and over with...
Ate some Australian red licorice slumlord had today

Didnt have to wipe down my 390 when I got home either.

So I had that going for me...
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😆😆😆👍🥴🥴🤣🤣🤣
If we had collared doves I'd be shooting them year round. Very few here.
Got out on a public hunt yesterday. Birds didn't start flying until 3pm. It was on then....Lots of juvenile doves this year.
Originally Posted by devnull
Got out on a public hunt yesterday. Birds didn't start flying until 3pm. It was on then....Lots of juvenile doves this year.

We call those “Stephanies”

😭😂
Originally Posted by worriedman
Son and I had our limits by 5:00, a few birds before 3:30 then it tuned on! I had four shells left out of a box for my 15, just really good shot opportunities. I never do that well...
Congrats! Sounds like a great day
11 this morning, buds shot 18
Yep …

Attached picture 3B46590B-2C81-4F29-A73C-2C141BDA3513.jpeg
Damn not a pin feather in sight.
The season in Alabama starts at 12:00pm today. Hopefully it will be good. Had at least 200 2 weeks ago.
Still sitting on a goose egg here...
🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️😄😄😄😄
Central Mo. here. Went yesterday afternoon from about 4:30 to 7:00. Milo that had been cut and baled. I got 9, one buddy got 10 and the other 6
Still sitting on a goose egg here...
🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️😄😄😄😄

Same here Rene.

No birds to shoot at Slum’s family farm ?
Or Nana won’t let y’all shoot ‘em ?
. . . Or Nana won’t let y’all shoot ‘em ?

Yeah
I had a good place years ago to
dove hunt, but it was a small place.
After the friend's MIL came to
live with them, she would boohoo
and holler about that man killing
doves. She said that doves were
"God's birds " and they were not
supposed to be killed. I asked
where do you get that information?
She said it said so in the Bible.
I asked where at? She said Noah
had sent God's dove out to find
land and God said that doves were
not supposed to be killed. So
I asked her to please show me
exactly where it says that. She
says well it's in there somewhere.
I offered to read the whole Genesis
Noah story with her aloud so
we could both see it together.
She declined, and I lost the hunting
from there

I always think of that when I see the "news "
reports every year about these people that move
out to the "country " in a crowded subdivision
and complain about people bird hunting in
adjacent grain fields. Oh , those evil guns are
soooo loud
Originally Posted by Ranger99
. . . Or Nana won’t let y’all shoot ‘em ?

Yeah
I had a good place years ago to
dove hunt, but it was a small place.
After the friend's MIL came to
live with them, she would boohoo
and holler about that man killing
doves. She said that doves were
"God's birds " and they were not
supposed to be killed. I asked
where do you get that information?
She said it said so in the Bible.
I asked where at? She said Noah
had sent God's dove out to find
land and God said that doves were
not supposed to be killed. So
I asked her to please show me
exactly where it says that. She
says well it's in there somewhere.
I offered to read the whole Genesis
Noah story with her aloud so
we could both see it together.
She declined, and I lost the hunting
from there

I always think of that when I see the "news "
reports every year about these people that move
out to the "country " in a crowded subdivision
and complain about people bird hunting in
adjacent grain fields. Oh , those evil guns are
soooo loud

LOL. My great Grandmother used to say the same thing. But she had seen one of their neighbors kill his wife on their front porch when she was a little girl.
The guy had beat his wife black and blue, and she ran over to my great great grandfathers place down the road for help. He followed her there and gave her both barrels to the midsection.
Great Great GrandDad chased him Off the porch with his shotgun. Fellow went back to his ranch and blew his brains out. 🤪
Been shooting doves for about 50 years. Hunted in west central Ks the past two days. The area is in extreme drought. Most all the farm ponds in the area are dry. Our farm had two small ponds that are not dry. Three of us had the best shooting I’ve ever had on doves.
I finally joined a good dove club this year and we had a great opening day shoot today. More birds at this shoot than I've seen at the last 15 DNR "shoots" I went to combined. State limit is 15, but club has a limit of 12.

Franchi 28ga with Briley Improved Skeet tube and Estate 8 1/2's.
Went out today and it was hotter than hell here in Idaho. Ended up with 8. Will try again tomorrow.
Went to a friends place yesterday. Everone but one guy got their limit of 15. Headed back in a few minutes. It was fun.
We all had such a good time opening day, we went back yesterday. I had my 15-bird limit by 8:00AM. It was another great day, starting with a beautiful sunrise on the Colorado plains.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Couple places open tommorow that were youth hunt only yesterday

30 min prior to sunup time.

Might hit one , weather dependant on what the radar forecast looks like.

Lease public field here in Montgomery county 30 min prior sunup on the 16 17 18th.
About 15 min drive from the house.
Gonna go to that one weather be dammed...

1st ever leased public field here in Montgomery county that I can ever remember.
Most near here are usually in Robertson county about a 30 40 min drive.
© 24hourcampfire