Home
Really enjoyed this video and the enthusiasm of the presenter who was one of the engineers on the project. The ability of engineers to do this high level of work on slide rules with rudimentary wind tunnels and modeling in the early 60's is inspiring.

Interesting stuff on the start carts and that they consumed every single 400 ci Buick Wildcat engine they could find in the country and ran them to destruction (often accidentally).

Thanks, that engine was a monster in many ways.
Thanks for posting, gonna watch that one tonight.
Extends 6” in length and expands 2” diameter at 2300 MPH at 80,000’ ASL! Can run FT for one hour at 2300 MPH w/o doing harm to engine! Thank God for brains like guy in video!
Originally Posted by Pugs
Really enjoyed this video and the enthusiasm of the presenter who was one of the engineers on the project. The ability of engineers to do this high level of work on slide rules with rudimentary wind tunnels and modeling in the early 60's is inspiring.

Interesting stuff on the start carts and that they consumed every single 400 ci Buick Wildcat engine they could find in the country and ran them to destruction (often accidentally).
So GM developed the Buick 455 Stage I?????????
Great video Pugs. Thanks for sharing.

I still think the shorter stroke, bigger bore of the Buick 455 would have made it an excellent choice for those start carts. If they could have been acquired in the quantities needed.
Between this and the legend of the Rocky Skunk Works, was there ever a better example of American exceptionalism?
If you happen to know someone who uses fakebook check out the "habubrats" fb page. A lot of good post by those who have been there/done that...

Enjoyed watching them operate out of Moldyhole in the mid '70s. Knew when they were launching by the "Q" takeoff times. We had a hardstand close to the runway. If my bird was parked there I'd go out and sit on the wingtip, watch the blackbird go roaring by on it's takeoff roll. Those Wildcats were LOUD!!!
You'll never see them at air shows, by the time you would hear it its gone......The SR71 project was unprecedented in recorded human history. If you think they just decommissioned it without something better I'd keep your head in the sand....
that was well worth watching, and yeah, I learned a lot from it. Thanks Alan.
I knew about the start carts and fuel. I am amazed how the engineers made the fuel control work. Brilliant minds.
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I knew about the start carts and fuel. I am amazed how the engineers made the fuel control work. Brilliant minds.
I'm surprised he didn't cover the TEB system. Kind of important to the operation of the engine...
© 24hourcampfire