Home
Posted By: DryHollow Retired - 09/03/22
Finished up a good career yesterday. Coffee tastes better this morning than it ever did. This is a great feeling.
Posted By: rong Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Congrats,,
I think it would take a little getting used to.
And many of the people I know seem to be busier than ever.
enjoy
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Congratulations!
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Retired 7 years ago….great feeling! Proud for you!
Posted By: Gypsy_Wind Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Congratulations!
Posted By: 160user Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Originally Posted by DryHollow
Finished up a good career yesterday. Coffee tastes better this morning than it ever did. This is a great feeling.

I am about 37 days behind you and I am really looking forward to it.
Posted By: scottf270 Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Enjoy!!!! I am 20 months into mine and I am still not caught up on chores yet. Turned 61 Thursday, headed to Alaska next Friday moose hunting. Got the traps prepped, Montana deer tag etc. Busy busy busy.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Congrats. I know that feeling and it's grand. I experienced it over 6 years ago. My only complaint now is that time is flying by too fast. Can't believe it's been 6 years already.
Posted By: 257 roberts Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Retired last year on May 31 and stayed retired for 1 year, I've worked my whole life and like to work
Went back to work June 1 of this year part time and absolutely love it, no pressure,don't really need the money,totally different feeling than when I had car payments,mortgage etc.
Posted By: Fullfan Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Congrats, enjoy. I retired at 49 and made it 5 years before I was going nuts. Lost my sence of purpose, went back to being a school LEO. Retirement is not all what everyone thinks it is.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Originally Posted by rong
Congrats,,
I think it would take a little getting used to.
And many of the people I know seem to be busier than ever.
enjoy

OP, congrats and enjoy!

rong, that has been so true for me. I've become the (even)older person doctor visit taxi driver and grocery getter and part time home re-modeler.

Thought I was gonna fish and hunt more but that hasn't come about so far.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Hah! Bunch of Retirement Rookies. Just over 12 years here. Great stuff. Got out early enough to enjoy it.

Congrats, DryHollow. Take care of your health so you live to enjoy the fruits of your labors. Eat right and move your ass enough to keep the joints oiled.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Retired - 09/03/22
After 15 years, I have come to realize that retirement is my natural state of being. To those who ask, "What do you do when you're retired?" I reply, "Whatever I feel like doing."
Posted By: skeen Re: Retired - 09/03/22

Congratulations to you!
Posted By: Deans Re: Retired - 09/03/22

Congratulations! Enjoy!!
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Congrats.
Posted By: TXRam Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Congrats!

I’m a few years behind you, but really looking forward to it!
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Enjoy it .
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Congrats!

Enjoy!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
After 15 years, I have come to realize that retirement is my natural state of being. To those who ask, "What do you do when you're retired?" I reply, "Whatever I feel like doing."

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

And damn little you don’t!
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Congrats to you,, enjoy.
I'm 11 years retired, it's great
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Enjoy every minute of it!
Posted By: deflave Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Congratulations on your retirement.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Let the fun begin
Posted By: WAM Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Retired 8 years. I still get up around 5:00, drink coffee, and instead of rushing out the door to work, I relax for a while and then go do a few chores and drink more coffee. Living the dream!
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Congrats
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Congratulations!
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Congratulations. I think you will love it. I retired in 97 and never looked back.
Posted By: JB in SC Re: Retired - 09/03/22
]

I retired in 2009. I’d offer one bit of advice, make your plans for each day or someone else will do it for you.

I was never busier for several years, for a while I wondered how I found time to work!
Posted By: hanco Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Congrats, 8 months for me, don’t know how I had time for that work cshit.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Congrats !

11 yrs for me

Never missed it
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Congratulations 🎊!
8 years for me and zero thought of going to work for anyone. My projects are keeping me too busy as it is.
Posted By: papalondog Re: Retired - 09/03/22
3 years ago here. Still have a nightmare once in awhile about when working. Oh the happiness that comes upon you when you wake up. To busy for a job now. Congratulations!
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Retired - 09/03/22
I'm retired going on 9yrs. now, still get up early and go drink coffee @ Hardee's with a bunch of other old farts. Go to a flea market once a week and talk guns with a bunch of old gun traders, swap guns every now and again. Plenty to stay busy with, hunt and fish when I want. Retirement is the best job I ever had, I recommend it highly !
Posted By: reivertom Re: Retired - 09/03/22
I finished up a lousy career years ago and felt even better. I never looked back. You will hate getting up when you want to, and not going to work. It's a tough life. I did wake up thinking I was late to work every now and then for about a year. You'll get over it.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Originally Posted by Fullfan
Congrats, enjoy. I retired at 49 and made it 5 years before I was going nuts. Lost my sence of purpose, went back to being a school LEO. Retirement is not all what everyone thinks it is.
Speak for yourself! If you hated your job, every day of retirement is a holiday. Sounds like you just needed a break.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Congratulations!

I did it a year ago, and haven’t missed it a bit. I didn’t know what it would be like to not go to work as that’s all I ever knew.

It even makes vacations much better. I used to sit at the beach thinking about what all I should be back at home doing. Now I just sit back and enjoy the beauty of God’s creation.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Take it from one who retired at 55 (I'm 72 now).....
don't just sit down on your laurels and relax!

Leo worked his entire life to retire at 65.
When asked what he was going to do, Leo said, "I sold off my cattle. I'm going to sit out on my front porch and wave at every car that comes by."
That's exactly what Leo did. Poor Leo, dead before his 66th birthday!

1) take some time to relax and unwind.
2) DO NOT stay inactive!
3) find a hobby*
4) nobody says you need another "9 to 5"

* - hunting, fishing, gardening, volunteering, hiking, walking, etc, etc. ANYthing to stay busy!
The home my mother was in had a retired gentleman who would put in a garden for the old folks.
Those that could helped. Those that couldn't would sit outside on the sunshine.
A huge percentage of the home population thoroughly enjoyed the activity.

Rule #1 - just stay busy
Rule #2 - refer to rule #1
Posted By: EdM Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Congratulations. I retired at 53 in 2015 and, frankly, do not have the capacity to go back and do what I did. Not a bad place to be.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Great times coming in your future! As said before, stay busy. I'm going on eight years the end of September, don't know how I had time to work!
Posted By: Scotty Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Congratulations, enjoy yourself.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Retired - 09/03/22
DryHollow: Congratulations on your retirement!
I am in my 25th year of "retirement" and don't know why I didn't retire even sooner?
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: old_willys Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Congratulations!

welcome to the club!

Last week I celebrated 1 year retired.
Posted By: luvrifles Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Congratulations! I retired 2yrs ago, loving it.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Good for you.

My motto:

I do what I want, when I want, where I want, with whom I want.
Posted By: boatammo Re: Retired - 09/03/22
Got out of the race @ 60 14 years ago. Took me about 3 years to get used to it but then it just got natural.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Retired - 09/03/22

Good on you, DH.

Stay healthy and enjoy what you’ve worked for your whole life.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Retired - 09/04/22
Sure is, congrats!
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Retired - 09/04/22
Cheers.
© 24hourcampfire