Home
...and the left front brake locked up. Melted the hubcap. Just dropped it off at the brake shop.

WTF? Dang thing is only 18 years old. And it’s the first unscheduled maintenance event it ever had. I thought Ford p’up trucks were reliable.
Happened to me once too on my 93.

Still drive it almost daily.
Appears that your left front caliper locked up. If so replace the right side caliper too.
Expect both will be replaced.
Dan,

Morning.

They don't make them like they used to.
Hell back in 19 & 67 trucks was twice as good

You should get the brake shop to bleed the whole system, push out the old fluid. Old is fluid is hydrascoppa? something?
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
...and the left front brake locked up. Melted the hubcap. Just dropped it off at the brake shop.

WTF? Dang thing is only 18 years old. And it’s the first unscheduled maintenance event it ever had. I thought Ford p’up trucks were reliable.

Exactly how did it happen? Did you apply the brakes, and it failed to fully release? Just curious. And I agree with the fluid flush.
Yes the moisture in the fluid corrodes the piston in the caliper, that corrosion finally grabs and sticks the piston locking the pad to the rotor.
My buddies wife had it happen to both rear calipers in a matter of months. It was a newer Jeep, so we were not surprised.
Originally Posted by vabowhntr
My buddies wife had it happen to both rear calipers in a matter of months. It was a newer Jeep, so we were not surprised.

But Jeep is a Chrysler product >> how can that be ?? laugh ??
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Expect both will be replaced.

I always replace the rubber hoses as well (they rot inside and chunks make calipers lock up). I learned this the hard/cheapskate way. Fresh brake fluid also... typically.
Pry the caliper back until the wheel frees up and the beat the brake tubing flat on the axle tube, good to go with three wheel brakes. 3 wheel brakes are still overkill fer somebody who claims to live in a swamp.
Well, just picked it up and came home. It’s good for another 18 years!
Put a Ford axle in my jeep a few years back. One of the calipers locked up too and I replaced it and the other one. I still like it more than the little dana axle it replaced.
© 24hourcampfire