Home
Was driving down I-35 just outside of Lebo when I saw all these American Flags leading off the Rest area ramp so decided to see what's up.

The "Vietnam Veterans of America" out of Ottawa, Kansas was serving coffee and donuts.

Pretty cool of the old boys - they also gave out magnetic decals to Veterans, but unfortunately they won't stick to an aluminum F-150. frown grin

Salute to the Old-timers! smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Very cool
+1
Very cool indeed
Awesome!
Excellent
Oh yeah. I like it.
Not cheap, but there is a plate that glues on that will hold a magnet.
Excluding the fact that you drive a beer can for a pickup.... I like it.
Pretty bizarre to think of Vietnam vets as old-timers...
Time flies whether you are having fun or not.
👍

I was too young to serve then, but had some buddies whose older brothers were over there. Some didn't come back.

My hat is off to all of them. What a tragic waste of human lives, that one was.

Thanks Skeen!
Ah, glad they’re safe. Thought for a minute you run em over.
Seeing my brothers still out there kickin' .... warms the cockles of my heart on this labor day.

Thanks for sharing skeen.
Here’s a spot some of y’all would like. Haven’t been there in a while and might have to drop by Saturday morning for the music.

Richards Coffee Shop
Thanks , just forwarded that to my step son .
He has been in the Navy for 16yrs .
Told him to look em up if he gets down that way .
Kenneth
Originally Posted by Brazos

I resemble that remark. 54 years ago this month.
They had to start their own organization- - - - -the American Legion and the VFW didn't want to have anything to do with us 50 years ago! I'm a member of both organizations now, but while the WW II and Korea vets were still around, we were looked down on like a whore in church!
You found some awesome people!
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Excluding the fact that you drive a beer can for a pickup.... I like it.

This.
Hey, you can bolt a piece of old plow disc to the door.
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
They had to start their own organization- - - - -the American Legion and the VFW didn't want to have anything to do with us 50 years ago! I'm a member of both organizations now, but while the WW II and Korea vets were still around, we were looked down on like a whore in church!

True.

Welcome home, Brother.
Thanks to the guys who posted in this thread.. thanks to Skeen for starting it
and thanks for all who served over there...

I served, but was NOT sent to Vietnam....all tho the old man served over there for 49 months.. USAF, Black Bird Operations
and served in Korea as an 18 yr old, with it ending on his 21st birthday.. July 27, 1953.. USMC..

October 1950 to September 1953.. Rose to Sgt in Long Range Recon Unit.

Went to Korea weighing 160 pounds from Japan... Left Korea weighing 95 pounds...no leave, almost 3 straight years of combat.

Thank you gentlemen for your sacrifices for this nation.
There is a really good Vietnam memorial and museum near Angel Fire, NM. I've been there a couple of times.

https://angelfirervresort.com/do/day-trips/vietnam-veterans-memorial/
My feeling exactly. I was in college when Nam was roaring. I guess maybe I could be called an old timer.

Almost all of us are over 70 now, I am 82.
Originally Posted by skeen
Was driving down I-35 just outside of Lebo when I saw all these American Flags leading off the Rest area ramp so decided to see what's up.

The "Vietnam Veterans of America" out of Ottawa, Kansas was serving coffee and donuts.

Pretty cool of the old boys - they also gave out magnetic decals to Veterans, but unfortunately they won't stick to an aluminum F-150. frown grin

Salute to the Old-timers! smile

That is really cool to see that, especially with the chaos in our country
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
👍

I was too young to serve then, but had some buddies whose older brothers were over there. Some didn't come back.

My hat is off to all of them. What a tragic waste of human lives, that one was.

Thanks Skeen!

I was a born in '67 and was just a kid then too. Had a neighbor that was over there for awhile.
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln

I was too young to go Viet Nam. I remember watching Dan Rather a lot of nights embedded (that term was not invented yet) in combat. IIRC, once a week his report would show all of the body bags lined up for shipping ...."home". Made quite the impression on a 10-13 year old kid.

My Lai was the catalyst that gave all VN vets a really bad and unfounded reputation. The ones not at My Lai had to endure that collateral damage.
© 24hourcampfire