Home
Posted By: Bristoe Car AC drain hose - 09/06/22
If it gets plugged up it'll allow the condensation to soak the carpet in your floor boards.

Mine did that. I just got finished crawling under the car, finding the drain hose exit, and poking a piece of wire up in it to unplug it.

Don't be under the hose. It's going to pour water out when the plug comes loose.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/06/22
You probably have Legionnaires disease now.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/06/22
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You probably have Legionnaires disease now.

Add it to the list.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/06/22
Logic 101.

LOL
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/06/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Logic 101.

LOL

Actually, I had never heard of the AC drain hose getting plugged up on a car. But it's apparently a fairly common occurrence. There's quite a few YouTube videos showing how to fix it.

The hardest part of the job is jacking the car up and putting it on jack stands. Once you find the hose, it's just a matter of poking something up in there to unplug it.
Some videos show people ripping their interior carpet up to get to the hose from the inside.

They're either dumb or too cheap to buy a jack and some jack stands.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/06/22
I pulled up the floor mat on the passenger’s side of my F150 to vacuum the carpet and discovered chit actually growing in the carpet! Turns out the wisdom of Ford’s engineers was to cut the drain off right level with the firewall so all the discharge got blown back in the carpet. I found a 90 degree elbow that fit it and solved the problem. Haven’t had one stop up yet though.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/06/22
Clogged or cracked... fairly common
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/06/22
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Logic 101.

LOL

Actually, I had never heard of the AC drain hose getting plugged up on a car. But it's apparently a fairly common occurrence. There's quite a few YouTube videos showing how to fix it.

The hardest part of the job is jacking the car up and putting it on jack stands. Once you find the hose, it's just a matter of poking something up in there to unplug it.

My Toyota truck drains into the wheelwell. Maybe that's to keep someone from sticking their head under it when they use the pokey thingy.
Posted By: 3584ELK Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/06/22
More automotive wisdom from the genius mechanics that inhabit 24hourcampfire.com
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/06/22
Never had one plug up on any vehicle ever. I have owned most major brand automobiles, at one time or another. Curious what vehicle you have?
2011 toyota camry
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
More automotive wisdom from the genius mechanics that inhabit 24hourcampfire.com

Somebody who lives in the Communist capital of North America is on the rag.

What a surprise.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/06/22
2011 toyota camry
The daughter has a 2012 Camry, I'm going to check hers, next time she's over! Thanks.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/06/22
Originally Posted by Heym06
Never had one plug up on any vehicle ever. I have owned most major brand automobiles, at one time or another. Curious what vehicle you have?
Won't matter if a bug or wasp gets up there.

They don't care, foreign or domestic, truck, car, SUV or micro bus.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/06/22
Another thing to watch for, is the drain tubes for sunroofs. A neighbor of ours bought a used Hummer H3, and it started leaking like a sieve around the sunroof. It turns out that the drain tube was plugged and it soaked her carpets, and damned near everything else in the vehicle's front seat area. She had traded off a really reliable car that gave her zero troubles, for that POS that caused her nothing but grief. She wanted a bigger car because her kids were getting bigger and had more troubles getting into and out of her Altima coupe.
Posted By: badger Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/06/22
Common denominator with A/C drains and sunroof drains seems to be where the vehicle is normally parked.

Close to trees will usually allow debris into the blower housing through the fresh air intakes and around the sunroof weatherstrip. The leaves and tree bits decay and form a thick sludge that causes blockage. Some cars are more prone to it than others due to the design and diameter of the drains.
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/06/22
Im trying to remember when I poked something that didnt respond with one kind of ooze or another?
Posted By: CCCC Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/06/22
In dusty areas, the dust comes in through blower intake and can get into the condensate - any kink or squeezed place in the drain tube eventually may cause a muddy condition there - when it dries it makes the blockage even more troublesome.

Some insects seeking moisture will crawl up into the tube when it is wet - dead or stuck bugs, or their little leavings/nests, will cause the same problem.

Best preventive seems to be adding some Drano to the refrigerant. TIC
Posted By: Muffin Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/06/22
My pickup did this, wet the mat.....

Drain was NOT plugged, but where it came out, on the firewall, the tube had lost the seal at the firewall and it would dribble out and leak behind the firewall and run inside to the carpet....

Got one of the 90 degree rubber insulators that go on the end of a spark plug cable and slip over the plug......goop it up around the drain with silcone or some such and slip the insulator over the tube...

It directs the drip down and more important away from the firewall...

YMMV
Posted By: Mossy Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/06/22
2011 toyota camry

My ex wife had an ‘11 Camry that had the same issue. A couple times a year the interior of her car would start to smell musty. Clean out the tube and squirt some Lysol or something down the drain the freshen it up.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/06/22
Probably a good idea to change out cabin air filters every so often, as well.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/07/22
When the A/C quits working this becomes a non-issue.

They don’t just give away jack stands.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/07/22
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I was thinking the same thing.

Bought my truck in 2010. A/C was non-functional, but I lived in an area where it got above 90F for maybe a couple of months, so I decided not to spend money on it.

It's still the same, but of course, the trip I have planned to SoCal this week has to come during a heat wave, not when it should be cooling down because it's Sept.

Bought a new spray bottle for the 2-65 A/C tomorrow. 2 windows open, 65MPH, and spray from the water bottle. Did it quite often at temps of 110-120F in the desert, so it should work well enough for 95-100F.

Wish I had a desert water bag so I could take pics to show Slumlort how we do it Out West.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/07/22

I bought a pair of these a few years back. They're cheap insurance if you find yourself needing to crawl under a car. I won't do without AC just because the drain hose is plugged.

https://www.amazon.com/Forklift-Jac...=1662553986&sr=8-146-spons&psc=1
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/07/22
2007 Camry. Carpet wet after rain. Thought from driving through puddles or Road spray. Finally realized it was sun roof drain hose pulled off the barb on roof. Had to pull headliner to access it. Reinstalled and added a hose clamp. I hate sun roofs.
Posted By: okie Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/07/22
shop vac for the win
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/07/22
Happened on my wife’s Rav4. Easy fix.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/07/22
Mud dauber wasps can make life enjoyable.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/07/22
My wifes '04 Honda Accord plugged up. It got kindy musty smelling and the crap that came out was stinky. Never had it happen in my F250.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/07/22
I had it happen two years ago on a JD 4450.

The A/C sits above the seat between the ceiling and roof.

I knew it was plugged when it started raining on my head....

Found the drain tube(s) and blew air back into it, had to give it a blow job a few times through out the summer.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/07/22
Waiting for it....

the comedians are slow tonight.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/07/22
I’m always cleaning insect nests out of 1/4” pipe. Wait. I never do that
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Car AC drain hose - 09/08/22

I bought a pair of these a few years back. They're cheap insurance if you find yourself needing to crawl under a car. I won't do without AC just because the drain hose is plugged.

https://www.amazon.com/Forklift-Jac...=1662553986&sr=8-146-spons&psc=1

Thanks for the link 😎
© 24hourcampfire