Home
Posted By: Blu_Cs Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22
Gents:

As a diesel owner never thought I'd start a bicycle thread on the fire but here goes.

I'm on a major weight reduction/get fit regimen which is actually working so far. Working to ramp up the cardio portion and like the idea of not pounding my body with running and such every day. Swimming is out because of the distance needed just to get to a pool. So bicycle is a logical choice.

I have a 1990-something 10 speed mountain bike which IMO is good enuf for the task, and have been gradually improving it with things like some PB blaster on the gears and a ring/bell thingie on the handlebars. I have started riding it occasionally to get into shape.

The problem is the durn seat, its OEM 1990-something and uncomfortable as h*ll. It also has a tear in the fabric. These are two clues that it needs to be replaced. This is also the opportunity for an upgrade. Just the seat part, not a whole new bicycle.

I'm just an average build guy with a little too much gut that needs to go.

Question for the knowledgeable: is there some seat (or seat design) out there that is more comfortable than the others without breaking the bank? Seems like so many choices out there.

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: Muffin Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22
Ordering up a case of jiffy-pop...........
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22
If your gonna really ride a bike, the seat is gonna hurt your ass. The more seat you got, the more ass that hurts. A tear won't work.
Posted By: IZH27 Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22
I’d go to a good bike shop and tell them what you are doing. Good bike seat fit can be like buying a pair of shoes that fit just right. Also, you may want to get a pair of biking shorts to wear underneath your shorts. The padding may be enough to make your present seat work.

I do a lot of mountain biking. When I first started I didn’t need any extra padding but was going for shorter rides. As my conditioning has improved I’m riding longer and more aggressively. The bike chamois makes all the difference. The two pair that I alter have different thickness in padding. I’m finding that the extra bulk of the thicker ones isn’t necessarily more comfortable.

Good luck with your fitness!
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
. . . . have been gradually improving it with things like some PB blaster on the gears and a ring/bell thingie on the handlebars.

I hope you put some tassels on it also. wink
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22
Paging Birdie !
Paging Paul Barnard !
Posted By: centershot Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22
WTB Pure, probably a large. Get some riding shorts - yes the spandex with a pad in the bottom. Put a pair of regular shorts over the top and no one will know. Ride ~10 minutes for a few days then work your way up. You have to get your butt in shape as well as the rest of you. Good on you for doing it.
https://www.wtb.com/products/pure

Also be sure to get the height and angle right. Fit can make a world of difference. Most modern seat posts are easy to adjust and there are a million and one videos on youtube.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22
Bike store is your huckleberry.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22
I used to race, and have ridden mtb's since the eighties (get over it Gruff grin) and have found the best seat for me is a leather Brooks saddle, made in the UK. Everyone has to go through the break in period before things get better and the Brooks B17 took the least amount of time for me. Everyones' butt is different and unfortunately the bike industry takes advantage of this and makes big bucks off of people going through multiple saddles before they find something that might work. The Brooks has no padding for good reason, the leather forms to your crotch and being suspended, does a better job than all the others I've tried. If you're gonna commit to riding bikes for the duration for your health its worth it to spend the $ on a good saddle.

You may be different but I've found the Brooks is the only saddle I can ride on without riding shorts(padded crotch) for any length of time.

https://bikexchange.com/brooks-saddles-review/
Posted By: tater74 Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22
I've have a Brooks saddle since 1975. Been on and off of a bunch of bikes.

It does take some getting used to.
Posted By: kolofardos Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22
Old Toot's bike:
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22
Don't know about the saddles, but I will second on the bike shorts if you actually ride. Takes longer to go numb, anyway. Get some good riding shorts, hide the Spandex with something civilized.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22
There is no bicycle seat panacea. We are all built differently. I tried a lot of different styles before I settled on the ones I am using now. Some seats that received high praise left me with bruises on my sit bones after a 20 mile ride. Padded shorts make a huge difference...huge. You can always wear shorts over spandex shorts if you want to.

This is what I have settled on. It won't hot link, so copy and paste. https://www.ebay.com/itm/144637095311?hash=item21ad0aed8f:g:~P4AAOSwIFFixjFS&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4MGQmGW7mECYjwLbn%2FuOR3%2BD050xvjm7N1WvMxN0WK34l3cPkxnO4MlXWgYdpFB5noOH5Ps6%2BvveNI8jFCNiYpugnAhPjJulPR7BCPQ6QPqCNi6qf%2Fi9D8KMiRCbHxVF0JUQTK3DSv2H%2By0mIVHR%2F7Kto5RwiOMdgvk8%2FCMBarxvDDJ4oLBYm0FXwXUimIsAViF3YELnqayx1vm6zbl7IgIxkj7Gvix0rfQSAs9QHDPEGmUPuh6FiroShIaiy3IcfgkS5EXmIow9GkEnZrNAnuufza8c6q4Lboq9nEKJBokN%7Ctkp%3ABFBMxPSvn-Ng

Bicycling is a great way to burn calories. Very easy on the joints.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22
I cycle 4x per week. Go to Walmart and get a gel seat cover to stretch over your current seat.
Posted By: centershot Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22
Too much padding can actually be worse than not enough. You will end up with pressure from the foam in places that you don't want pressure and end up numb.
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22
Gents:

OK got a new seat ordered, thanks for your recommendations.

As to the "Padded Shorts" any preferences? My existing inventory is zero, other than boxers, briefs and clearance shorts at wally world.
Try to get ones without the vent holes perforated in the foam pad. If your riding more than an hour the ridges around those holes create little hardpoints.
Gents:

As to the "Padded Shorts" any preferences? My existing inventory is zero, other than boxers, briefs and clearance shorts at wally world.

Hands down the best shorts made, and made right here in the USA.

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/ride-with-pride-rainbow-shorts.html
Posted By: deflave Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
On a more serious note. Same company. USA made.

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/top-shelf-bike-short.html

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/modern-elite-racing-short.html
Originally Posted by deflave

Bet she's a sponsored athlete for this company...
https://grist.org/living/vibrating-bicycle-seat-ought-to-make-bikes-more-popular/
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Gents:

Hands down the best shorts made, and made right here in the USA.

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/ride-with-pride-rainbow-shorts.html

Rainbow Pride? Well, OK, I ain't saying schiett. I ain't, really.
There is no bicycle seat panacea. We are all built differently. I tried a lot of different styles before I settled on the ones I am using now. Some seats that received high praise left me with bruises on my sit bones after a 20 mile ride. Padded shorts make a huge difference...huge. You can always wear shorts over spandex shorts if you want to.

This is what I have settled on. It won't hot link, so copy and paste. https://www.ebay.com/itm/144637095311?hash=item21ad0aed8f:g:~P4AAOSwIFFixjFS&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4MGQmGW7mECYjwLbn%2FuOR3%2BD050xvjm7N1WvMxN0WK34l3cPkxnO4MlXWgYdpFB5noOH5Ps6%2BvveNI8jFCNiYpugnAhPjJulPR7BCPQ6QPqCNi6qf%2Fi9D8KMiRCbHxVF0JUQTK3DSv2H%2By0mIVHR%2F7Kto5RwiOMdgvk8%2FCMBarxvDDJ4oLBYm0FXwXUimIsAViF3YELnqayx1vm6zbl7IgIxkj7Gvix0rfQSAs9QHDPEGmUPuh6FiroShIaiy3IcfgkS5EXmIow9GkEnZrNAnuufza8c6q4Lboq9nEKJBokN%7Ctkp%3ABFBMxPSvn-Ng

Paul B’s bike seat link
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22

Hehehehe. Yep.
Posted By: Brad Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22

They go up to 5XL - that's nothing if not funny.
Posted By: Raferman Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22
Originally Posted by Brad

Jerry Nadler can get a pair.

smokepole says you won't see any fat bicyclists.

LOL
Posted By: Cretch Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22
i went to Wal-mart and bought a wider gel-pac replacement seat. Made all the difference.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Paul B’s bike seat link

I am not clicking that. You and Kingston have the same sense of humor.

The guys that wear those are great to draft behind...as long as they didn't eat chilli rellenos for breakfast.
The guys that wear those are great to draft behind...as long as they didn't eat chilli rellenos for breakfast.

You know you're in great shape when you're drafting behind a guy wearing 5X.

LOL

"CARDIO!"
Posted By: smokepole Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22

smokepole says you won't see any fat bicyclists.

LOL

Well yeah, you'll see plenty of fat cyclists.

In Florida.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Well yeah, you'll see plenty of fat cyclists.

In Florida.

Uh-huh.

LOL

Go to a gym you fugkin' losers.

Paul B’s bike seat link

It really is your link. I was just demonstrating how easy it is to do if one knows how.

Paul B’s bike seat link

Its got a built in cooch..
Posted By: smokepole Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22

Paul B’s bike seat link

It really is your link. I was just demonstrating how easy it is to do if one knows how.

Nobody's falling for that shìt.
PB:

Dang dude. Nice recovery. That first recommendation was just...not right!
I'm on the bigger side fatty but lost 60ish pounds this year and bicycle seats hurt me. Even my KTM dual sport seat hurts me and I go numb. Padding has helped on the dual sport.

My dad died last year so I ended up with his 3 wheel recumbent trike and his cyber exercise bike. Both are large seated, reclined and more comfortable to use. This isn't an area I know much about but I'd reckon that it's a lot about individual fit and size/weight. Bigger you are with mass and pounds the more you'll stress where it rubs and hurts. And yes the spandex panties make a difference and kept my skin more or less intact and I wore them even when I worked in hot underground mines. They saved me a lot of discomfort.
Posted By: add Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22
Selleanatomica.com
PB:

Dang dude. Nice recovery. That first recommendation was just...not right!

Sometimes I can't help myself.

Aerotech designs are REALLY good shorts. If you let them air dry after washing, they will last a long time.
Chortle.

Thanks for the heads up!
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/07/22
The Zealangel or Greenline saddle seats should work fine for your bike! Enjoy, just don't be seen riding on one!
Posted By: JGray Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/08/22
I've worn the padded spandex shorts when I did a lot of road riding. Anymore I go back and forth from road to mtn bikes and tend to us padded liner shorts under normal baggy shorts. Like boxer/brief underwear with padding - the Aerotech site Paul linked to has them:

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/pad...e4OyD-gIV3mxvBB0w9wrLEAAYAiAAEgKqL_D_BwE
Posted By: Raferman Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/08/22
Originally Posted by JGray
I've worn the padded spandex shorts when I did a lot of road riding. Anymore I go back and forth from road to mtn bikes and tend to us padded liner shorts under normal baggy shorts. Like boxer/brief underwear with padding - the Aerotech site Paul linked to has them:

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/pad...e4OyD-gIV3mxvBB0w9wrLEAAYAiAAEgKqL_D_BwE
Did you read that before you posted?
Lol😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/08/22
I used Brooks leather saddles and don’t bother with padding.

One consideration is you don’t really “sit” in the saddle, much of your weight is supported by your feet.
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/08/22
Lots of Mexicans riding bikes in Florida. Even in the hottest part of the day. Crossing Rt. 41 dodging traffic. Some don't make it. They don't wear bike shorts though. Maybe they should. Get across faster.
Posted By: Brad Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/08/22
I came of age riding on a Brooks leather saddle in the mid 1970's. I could tolerate it as a teenager. My new bike (Globe Roll 8 Rare) has a nasty little seat made by Specialized. My first order of business is to replace the seat, stem, tires and pedals.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/08/22
I came of age riding on a Brooks leather saddle in the mid 1970's. I could tolerate it as a teenager. My new bike (Globe Roll 8 Rare) has a nasty little seat made by Specialized. My first order of business is to replace the seat, stem, tires and pedals.

Buy one of the Cobb Randees I linked earlier.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/08/22

She's cute. And a world champion too based on those stripes.
Posted By: Brad Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/08/22

Thanks Paul, I've give it a look.
Posted By: deflave Re: Bicycle seat design? - 09/08/22

It must fit all the way into ones ass.

LOL
© 24hourcampfire