Home
Posted By: stxhunter Knee quetion - 09/10/22
I've been installing flooring for 45 yrs. In all that time I've not had any issues with my knees, except getting a little sour a few times, and I seldom wore knee pads.
My left knee was hurting a little Thursday and then yesterday more so and is really hurting today, if I straighten it all the way out or bend my lower leg back more than an ft or twist on it, it hurts like hell, not swollen and doesn't hurt to the touch. The pain is all in the back of my knee where my calf and back of my thigh meet. I have done nothing to hurt it at all, and that is what is strange it just started hurting and then got worse. I can walk as long as I don't bend it much at the knee.

Any Ideas?
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
Make an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for diagnosis, more than likely you'll be sent for an MRI.
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
This won't be helpful, but internet diagnosis is not the way to go when it's affecting your life and mobility. Yeah a bunch of ideas, but you need an x-ray, and then maybe an MRI and evaluation by preferably, an orthopedist who will check you first and maybe order said tests.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
Going to go to the Dr on Mon or Tuesday if it doesn't improve, just trying to get some clue from someone who might have had a similar experience.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
You need a cortisone shot in it.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
Get knee pads. You’re not a pussy to wear them - just smart.
Posted By: Backroads Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
Rest, ice, compression, elevation.

As a junior installer with 30 yrs in, I also recommend bourbon and ibuprofen.

Get some ProKnees.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
Ideas?
See a doctor, soon.
Posted By: tskin Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
very similar experience. torn meniscus fixed with microscopic surgery. recovering now.
Originally Posted by Backroads

Get some ProKnees.
I seldom get on my knees anymore, just supervise my help.
Posted By: tzone Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
Time to amputate!
Posted By: Backroads Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Backroads

Get some ProKnees.
I seldom get on my knees anymore, just supervise my help.

That is good to hear, I just lost an old partner of mine that was on his knees til he was 65. Watching him walk hurt.

Try a compression sleeve for your knee, they are cheap feel good.

PS, get your crews ProKnees.
Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
If you see an orthopedic be sure to do your homework on who you see. Wife has had 4 knee surgeries on same knee, don't be like her. As Rockinbar said, cortisone would be 1st thing I'd try.
Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
Originally Posted by tzone
Time to amputate!
From the neck down should fix it😁
Originally Posted by tskin
very similar experience. torn meniscus fixed with microscopic surgery. recovering now.
Haven't done anything to injure it.
I did not do anything to injure mine either. Just happens sometimes. I am 67 so that may have something to do with it.
Posted By: WMR Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
Sounds like Monkeypox. Or maybe diphtheria 🤔. Maybe just see the doctor as planned.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
Could just be a repetitive motion thing, Roger - AKA a LOT of years working.
An X-Ray probably won't tell the MD anything, but most insurance requires them before an MRI - which should solve the problem.
Then, they just gotta fix it!
Good luck!
I did not do anything to injure mine either. Just happens sometimes. I am 67 so that may have something to do with it.
59, so maybe, plus the type of work I've done.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22

Shy of replacement of both(and I need that now), I had most knee problems there is. Sometimes it will go away on it's own, or not. Favor it for a while, 600-800 mg of Ibuprofen might help. Actually longer than just the 4 hour effective time. I take it before bed, & can tell next day if I did or not. An $8 compression knee brace from WM can warm it up & help.

IF you get back on your knees, ever, again, for any length of time, get some pads. Good gosh I wish I'd worn them sooner. 69 in 2 weeks.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
I'm on with ice, and heat, until you can see a real Doctor, that is.
I tore out a bathroom down to the studs and was on the knees a lot. woke up the next day with sore knee and it continued to worsen and be painful and sore. finally had exray and mri. tear will not heal itself on meniscus according to surgeon. good luck.
Going to put on a compression bandage and I got prescription strength ibuprofen, See if that helps for the time being.
Posted By: Partsman Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
Maybe from all the ass kicking you handed out all these years!🤣
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
Be careful with the prescription Ibuprofen, it is not a long term solution. Long term use can cause liver damage, same goes for Arthritis strength Tylenol. I speak from experience with this.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
You probably know this, but..
Take those 6-800mg Imus 3 times a day, everyday.
Eat with them. Even if it stops hurting, keep taking them for a day or so more. You are looking to fight inflammation more than stop pain.

Wished I had known that before my shredded Achilles tendons turned into
scar tissue. Sometimes toughing it out ends up bad.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
[quote=stxhunter]I've been installing flooring for 45 yrs. In all that time I've not had any issues with my knees, except getting a little sour a few times, and I seldom wore knee pads.
My left knee was hurting a little Thursday and then yesterday more so and is really hurting today, if I straighten it all the way out or bend my lower leg back more than an ft or twist on it, it hurts like hell, not swollen and doesn't hurt to the touch. The pain is all in the back of my knee where my calf and back of my thigh meet. I have done nothing to hurt it at all, and that is what is strange it just started hurting and then got worse. I can walk as long as I don't bend it much at the knee.

Don’t overlook the possibility of a blood clot.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
One bright spot if they do an MRI, you're only in up to your chin.
Posted By: mulenbucks Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
Possibly a bakers cyst ruptured. My wife is dealing with that issue. She's had one cortisone shot which helped for awhile. We were both sure it was her meniscus. It's behind the knee. When she first stands she has to stand a bit and kind of let things let "go". Good luck
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
Ask the same question on another and higher IQ forum...
Originally Posted by Partsman
Maybe from all the ass kicking you handed out all these years!🤣
That was a long time ago for the most part and I took a few ass-kickings also.
Going to take the ibuprofen and wrap it till I can call the dr mon if it's not improved. I also got some rum and fersca.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
There ya go!
Lubricate it! laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
I feel your pain Roger,I've been dealing with the same issue.I had surgery on my left knee ten years ago to repair three torn menicus.Last year I started having some problems with it and got a steriod injection in my knee.Man it felt like a new knee for three months Started getting some pain in it again,got another steroid injection and it felt like it got inflamed.Ended up getting a gel injection a couple of months ago and that helped some.My big issue now is arthritis has become much worse in my knee.It showed up last year a little on the inside of my knee.My x-ray a couple of months ago showed about 50% of my knee now has arthritis.Fricking hurts bad sometimes.Behind my knee pain is bad too.Muscles in my lower leg from my knee to my ankles get tight and sore.The tendon from my hip to my knee sometimes gets tight and sore.I bought one of the percussion massage guns and really work the tight muscles good with it.It does help and increases my mobility some.Seems like some pain is always there no matter what I do or take.Started Meloxicam a couple of months ago and that helped a little but I still have days.Sometimes it feels OK and suddenly pain sets in and it hurts.Hell sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night in pain.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
There is no difference between over the counter and prescription ibuprofen therapeutically except that your insurance picks up the tab instead of you.

Ice and heat as others have suggested.
Posted By: Diesel Re: Knee quetion - 09/10/22
Roger, I installed flooring for 25 years too and have exactly what you have now myself. It has been a couple of months now and it gets progressively worse, but comes and goes in degrees, but never goes away completely.

I don't know what it is, but the tendon?, or long muscle that runs behind the knee is somehow involved and if you grab it with your hand or put pressure on it, it seems to cut down on the pain. It seems to progress up into my butt and kinda has some sciatica pain and all the way down to my ankle and foot.

I am going to see a doctor, but I have too much to get done before winter, so I have been sucking it up. It is painful as hell though and taking pills has not touched it. Those 800 mg Ibuprofen are not good on the stomach of throat so beware.

I am 70 years old shortly so there is that. I would love to hear what your doc says when you go and will let you know how it goes for me.

Good luck
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
Thanks
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
Most likely you have a piece of the meniscus that has torn or is floating around in your knee.

Hot then cold and get weight off of it for a bit.

If swelling is going on it might go down after treatment.

If not get it checked out because it will not fix itself.

I have had both cleaned out and have not had a problem after.

Hope it gets better on its own.
Posted By: IZH27 Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
Possibly a Bakers cyst.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
Going to take the ibuprofen and wrap it till I can call the dr mon if it's not improved. I also got some rum and fersca.
Have some food in your stomach when taking ibuprofen.

Lots of things it *could* be.

Talk to a good orthopod.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
Friend who built a lot of houses, lot of flooring, roofing and other on the knees work, started getting knee pain in his early 50’s. He started taking those two supplements recommended for cartilage/joints, after a month or so problem went away. Damned if I can remember the name. It’ll come to me…
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
Tubercular tumor.
Posted By: Angus55 Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
Roger, I have had 4 knee surgeries, then had both knees replaced, but before I had those I got a blood clot (DVT) behind each knee , one year apart, because of driving to Deer lease every Friday night for 4 months and not stopping to walk or at least filling up, this sounds like a clot, if your leg is hot at all, go straight to ER, I’m kinda an expert on knee pain. I would see a good Dr. Good luck
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
I've been installing flooring for 45 yrs. In all that time I've not had any issues with my knees, except getting a little sour a few times, and I seldom wore knee pads.

Any Ideas?

Yes sir.

"Get thee to a qualified orthopaedic doctor. ASAP!"

The longer you wait, the more damage you may cause.
Originally Posted by cra1948
Friend who built a lot of houses, lot of flooring, roofing and other on the knees work, started getting knee pain in his early 50’s. He started taking those two supplements recommended for cartilage/joints, after a month or so problem went away. Damned if I can remember the name. It’ll come to me…
Glucosamine?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
Since everyone on the innernets are experts, my expert opinion is you need to drink 8 Second whiskey. One in the morning, two at morning break, four at lunch and 6 on the drive home from work.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
SEE A DOCTOR!
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
Sounds like an ACL tear to me and yes, I have a Doctorate of Internet degree which requires years of search engine internship and residency.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Since everyone on the innernets are experts, my expert opinion is you need to drink 8 Second whiskey. One in the morning, two at morning break, four at lunch and 6 on the drive home from work.
LOL have had much more than that, watching the Sackets right now.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
I tore the meniscus in my right knee very bad,...had to have a bit of surgery. It still acts up a but, but overall, it's functional.

Once, long after the surgery I stood up from a low chair and heard *POP*. I don't know what it was but it was in the crook of my leg behind the knee. It hurt for several weeks and I was figuring I needed some more surgery. But the pain gradually faded away.

I'm a lot more protective of my knees than I used to be, though. I stand up from a chair slow and push with my arms.

I don't want any more knee trouble than I already have.
Posted By: cotis Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
Peroneal nerve. Stretch hamstring, anti-inflammatories, ice on lower back and wrap back of knee in ice. I use semi-flexible ice packs held in place with saran wrap
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
Originally Posted by ironbender
Glucosamine?

And chondroitin.

52, been taking them on and off since late 30s.

At first when a knee or hip hurt for awhile, then one every other day.
Now 2 a day.

One builds cartilage, the other helps with lubrication.
Lotta holistic folks recommend it for everyone over 50.

Seafood based, be careful if you have allergies.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
Stx go see your regular doc for a checkup and tell him about it they take a frt and side view x ray read it and will probably yell.you you have arthritis in it
Cortisone shot like Rockinbar said.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Stx go see your regular doc for a checkup and tell him about it they take a frt and side view x ray read it and will probably yell.you you have arthritis in it
Cortisone shot like Rockinbar said.
Already have my regular 3-month appointment on the 23. Hoping it doesn't get worse till then.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Glucosamine?
And chondroitin.

52, been taking them on and off since late 30s.

At first when a knee or hip hurt for awhile, then one every other day.
Now 2 a day.

One builds cartilage, the other helps with lubrication.
Lotta holistic folks recommend it for everyone over 50.

Seafood based, be careful if you have allergies.
Yup. Chondroitin is usually in the mix.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'm on with ice, and heat, until you can see a real Doctor, that is.

I second this.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
Wow - you have gotten a tom of diagnosis ad quite few prescriptions in this thread. Well, out of all that, somebody must have nailed it, or at least gotten close.

But, I've been wondering if it is something contagious Have you been up close and personal with somebody who has kneesles?.
Posted By: hanco Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
I hope it gets better, pain sucks
Posted By: blanket Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
Make sure to ask your doctor to check for a bakers cyst, no fun at all
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
You need a cortisone shot in it.

Skip that and get a PRP injection
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
Could be meniscus. I've had 5 knee surgeries. An mri should puck it up. If it is I'd recommend surgery. Last one I had a bone spure sheared off and tore the crap out of my meniscus.

My friend did my anesthesia and said he was hassling the surgeon for taking so long and the surgeon just kept saying how the hell did this guy walk into the hospital on this. I had 6 major tears and more minor ones. He cleaned them up and i walked out a few hours later with no crutches feeling like a new man.

When ot first went I was remodeling a rental we had just bought and my wife was telling me I couldn't have surgery until the remodeling was done. I went through 2 months of incredibly painfull hell when surgery fixed me almost overnight. Turns out the bone spur the size of a penny that broke off and caused all the damage was part of an undiagnosed at that time autoimmune disease called ankylosing spondylitis. Finally after knee surgery, back surgery for caude equina, and heel surgery for huge spurs they figured out there was something extra going on.

B
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
Woke up one day with pain right below my knee. Felt like Id been Nancy Kerrigan’d. Wondered how the fugg that happened.

Turned out to be a clot.
Posted By: willycc Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
Get your knee drilled and tapped for a grease zerk
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
A lifetime of activity takes it’s toll. If it is a meniscus, removing torn cartilage will give relief. It is a simple procedure. The thing is removing the torn parts results in less cartilage to protect the joint from wear and tear. I had the procedure in 2005. In 2020 I needed a hip replacement most likely due to the fact my knee and leg were no longer in alignment. Getting old ain’t for pu$$ies.
feeling little better this morning after wrapping it and taking the ibuprofen.
Posted By: deflave Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
It’s karma for telling people you’ve never had knee problems.
Posted By: tzone Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
If it’s not swollen I’d get a soft “brace” from the Walgreens or cvs….whatever you have. Wear it for a day and see if it helps. It will keep it a bit more stable for you. Might not make it hurt any less though.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
I had similar pain it wound up being a tumor in the bone big as a grape I know it’s misspelled ostiiod ostioma
Posted By: Osky Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22

So what. When we were young and bullet proof things came and went. At your age and mine they mean something. Things inside are changing.
You’ve busted your hump for a very long time and now getting to the point of future enjoyment with family, friends etc, why be messed up and not get the most out of what you’ve worked/payed for?
Get ahead of it. See a very good specialist and get an answer, not an educated guess.
Been there, still dealing, heed my advice. Something like that is not a one and out.
Get ahead of it.
Good luck.
Osky
Originally Posted by deflave
It’s karma for telling people you’ve never had knee problems.
Probably so.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
Stxhunter: Been there - done that!
Seek out THE best reputed Knee Specialist Doctor you can and get in to see him/her as soon as possible.
Nothing in the human knee joint can "successfully" heal itself.
Best of luck to you and keep us advised as to your progress.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: norm99 Re: Knee quetion - 09/11/22
Originally Posted by Osky

So what. When we were young and bullet proof things came and went. At your age and mine they mean something. Things inside are changing.
You’ve busted your hump for a very long time and now getting to the point of future enjoyment with family, friends etc, why be messed up and not get the most out of what you’ve worked/payed for?
Get ahead of it. See a very good specialist and get an answer, not an educated guess.
Been there, still dealing, heed my advice. Something like that is not a one and out.
Get ahead of it.
Good luck.
Osky

solid advise
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Knee quetion - 09/12/22
Glucosamine?

That’s it, glucosamine and chondroitin.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Knee quetion - 09/12/22
MRI will answer a lot of questions. If surgery is recommended do it soon. Mine felt way better after surgery.

Bb
Posted By: RickBin Re: Knee quetion - 09/12/22
Haven’t read the whole thread.

Sounds like a Baker’s cyst, which means lots more swelling inside the knee.

Ice and elevation is your best friend to start, and of course rest if you can. Compression was a mixed bag for me.

Time to see a doc … lots of possiblities …

RICE never a bad thing …
Posted By: smarquez Re: Knee quetion - 09/12/22

Sounds like your kneeling past is catching up. Ibuprofen, ice packs, some rest and some gentle stretching. Is there any swelling? You may need to do a little strengthening there after your knee calms down.
Posted By: Backroads Re: Knee quetion - 09/12/22
Lol, should probably amputate!

Glad to hear compression and ibuprofen are working. Don't overlook ice.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Knee quetion - 09/17/22
Okay,....don't feel rained on. The area behind my knee is all out of shape again today,...dammit.

I've self prescribed vodka and a recliner.

Crippled and buzzed before noon on a Saturday.

I don't much like it. I had things to do today.
© 24hourcampfire