Home
Saw the rear tire run over it was in bail out position after I saw the swarm been diverting around it paper nest on the ground I’ve had 50/50 success with night time napalm runs on yellow jackets how would you proceed?
A bee suit and a few cans of foaming wasp and hornet killer.

Raised the lid on my old 150 that had been sitting in the barn Friday and was greeted with a similar bunch of the bastards. Got popped twice before I got out. Walked in my honey room, put the suit on and went and lit'em up.

It's kind of unusual to have them nesting that close to my hives without me having seen some sign of them before then.
That will make you move quickly.
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
That will make you move quickly.
Find high range!!!!
Flame thrower.
hopped off a running mower once after running over a wasp nest in the ground.

Mower ran right into dad's tomato patch and cut a swath thru it. He was not happy
Those bastards hurt, poison them at night
Take a couple handfuls of diatomaceous earth and powder that hole real good after dark. The entire nest will be toast in less than 24 hours. Each microscopic grain of DE is like a razor knife to insects so 2 or 3 handfuls is trillions of razors that slice the exoskeleton and dehydrate the insect. It’s worked incredibly well for me!
Originally Posted by hanco
Those bastards hurt, poison them at night

Ain't that the truth
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Take a couple handfuls of diatomaceous earth and powder that hole real good after dark. The entire nest will be toast in less than 24 hours. Each microscopic grain of DE is like a razor knife to insects so 2 or 3 handfuls is trillions of razors that slice the exoskeleton and dehydrate the insect. It’s worked incredibly well for me!
This ^^^.
Ace, that’s the only thing that really gets grasshopper’s to, 7 dust doesn’t even slow them down.
5 gallon bucket, dawn dish soap poor down hole.
Did the same thing a couple years ago. Got some Hornet Killer spray and waited until almost dark when they are almost all in the nest and put most of the can in the hole... a few lingering ones lingered later and landed but there was enough on the ground to get them too. They never came back to that spot. Had the same experience at home also, got into my tool shed and there was a nest of them chasing me out of their clubhouse. The Hornet spray came to the rescue again... that stuff works great and you can spray it from a pretty good distance to stay relatively safe...
These ain’t in a hole in the ground it’s a paper nest on top the ground prime candidate for fire
Originally Posted by earlybrd
These ain’t in a hole in the ground it’s a paper nest on top the ground prime candidate for fire

If you can see the nest a shotgun with the smallest shot size you have on hand gives immediate results and a nice warm feeling of revenge. Back off to where the pattern will be volleyball size or a little more. A double tap may be in order.
If you feel really sporting, you can rush the hornets nest with a tennis racquet and see how many you can swat.
Originally Posted by shootem

If you can see the nest a shotgun with the smallest shot size you have on hand gives immediate results and a nice warm feeling of revenge. Back off to where the pattern will be volleyball size or a little more. A double tap may be in order.
My luck that would turn wrong more casualties on my side think I’m going the fire route
Bit of gasolene, more diesel, rag on a pole, after dark.
If there is enough nest left to concentrate them.
If not, wait and watch a few days.
A target will emerge, burn it.
The guys in the field baled up a nest of bumble bees (probably on purpose, the bastards). The bees took great umbrage at this, but they realized that the perpetrators would be beyond their reach once they disentangled themselves from the hay. Given this, they delayed their counter assault for when the bale in question had taken its ride up the elevator into the barn where it became the responsibility of the poor fool up there attempting to not die of the heat while he was filling his respiratory system with dust and chaff. At this point, the poor fool became aware of something poking at his ankle. A quick inspection revealed that the ankle in question was covered with furry yellow and black bodies. It was at this point that the pain kicked in. A medical conference was held and the conclusion was that the ankle should be soaked in the somewhat cool water of the stock tank. By the end of the day, the ankle had achieved impressive size. A good night's rest resulted in the owner of said ankle being completely unable to stand on that foot. Ah, the memories. (For this, and other reasons too numerous to list, I hated, and continue to hate, baling)
Please video.
I haven’t seen many of them in the last few years here in south Arkansas. I think the fire ants took care of them!
After decades of screwing around with sprays and gasoline this is the only thing needed. The powder isn't fast-acting, so hornets that get powdered spread it to the rest of the hive. It actually took the fun out of it. You don't need to dust the hornets, just where they walk or land.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]
You have to attack them fast at night. They will attack and keep sentries even in the dark......I found out the hard way. They aren't like yellow jackets. Pour some gas and quickly cover it with a metal tub or bucket and run.
I "located" a nest of ground nesting yellow jackets yesterday while while weedwacking a path to one of my ladder stands. Only got stung 3 times but damn them things hurt!! Went back last night and sprayed a whole can of expanding foam ground hornet spray into the hole. After about an hour went back out and sprayed a good bit of charcoal lighter fluid down hole and lit it. The flame flickering out the hole for near 10 minutes was quite satisfying!!!
Drink a bunch of citric acid in water and then piss down the hole. You've got to be wearing nothing but socks and a hat though.
No fires here, please. Pine forest. Wasp and hornet spray after dark is the trick. Take a partner along who’s likewise armed. Attack without mercy! One of my favorite YouTube channels is “The Hornet King”. Caution: That site is addicting!
Originally Posted by reivertom
You have to attack them fast at night. They will attack and keep sentries even in the dark......I found out the hard way. They aren't like yellow jackets. Pour some gas and quickly cover it with a metal tub or bucket and run.
I found that out the hard way who tf would think yellow jackets would be out at 11pm
Black hornets from my experience are the cheetah of the bee family yellow jackets don’t say jack scchit to black hornets they will chase your ass down like kamikazis every time it’s happened I was in boxers and crocks nothing else
Like this

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by longarm
Like this

Looked like that exactly
Originally Posted by DMc
Flame thrower.

Yup.

https://xproducts.com/product-category/flamethrowers/
Blew a hornet's nest off of a tree limb with a shotgun 12 gauge #6 load 3 inch. Fortunately, it was about -10 degrees that day. They did not fly very far.
Like this

Looked like that exactly
Oh, that's easy then. Spray some wasp and hornet killer in a plastic trash bag, then after dark walk up to it and slide the bag over the nest and cinch it up tightly around the branch with a zip tie. Come back in a couple of days and they will be ded.
No spray, gas, dust, or poison used. This is the same nest hanging on my porch now.. very much alive

Originally Posted by 5sdad
The guys in the field baled up a nest of bumble bees (probably on purpose, the bastards). The bees took great umbrage at this, but they realized that the perpetrators would be beyond their reach once they disentangled themselves from the hay. Given this, they delayed their counter assault for when the bale in question had taken its ride up the elevator into the barn where it became the responsibility of the poor fool up there attempting to not die of the heat while he was filling his respiratory system with dust and chaff. At this point, the poor fool became aware of something poking at his ankle. A quick inspection revealed that the ankle in question was covered with furry yellow and black bodies. It was at this point that the pain kicked in. A medical conference was held and the conclusion was that the ankle should be soaked in the somewhat cool water of the stock tank. By the end of the day, the ankle had achieved impressive size. A good night's rest resulted in the owner of said ankle being completely unable to stand on that foot. Ah, the memories. (For this, and other reasons too numerous to list, I hated, and continue to hate, baling)

Tell us about your snake and skunk stories....
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Like this

Looked like that exactly
Oh, that's easy then. Spray some wasp and hornet killer in a plastic trash bag, then after dark walk up to it and slide the bag over the nest and cinch it up tightly around the branch with a zip tie. Come back in a couple of days and they will be ded.
There is no branch it’s laying on top of the ground I’m not fuuuccing with zip ties and trash bags I have better use for those pics to follow this week on the strike
No spray, gas, dust, or poison used. This is the same nest hanging on my porch now.. very much alive

I’d gone full scale war on that long ago and they’d be no survivors
Diesel works if you can afford it.

Yellow jackets before I snuffed them out with a 1997 3500 Dodge.

Windows up of course...

I have another video of the actual snuffing... sounds like hail hitting the windows.

Figured that out after I posted... but I still do them the same way. That Hornet spray I get from Home Despot can spray about 30 feet and kills almost instantly so I use it on both kinds of nests regardless of where they are... seems to work great, I've only been stung a couple times in several years of daredevil Hornet tasing...
Oh hell
Been painting my house and I seen some black Wasps.
Never seen them before
They were making a nest up under my Eave .
So they are probably not the same as the ones you guys are talking about.

I took the pressure washer to them maybe only 4 or 5 a week ago.
I went out today to do some more painting before the rain came in.
Ya go figure Rain in Southern Commyfornia.

and those black wasps were back again.

They left me alone so I left them alone.
I do not go on that side of the house much so they can live until they come after me then they will be gone real fast.
I was told that Wasps et Mosquitos. If they do I would rather have them than the Mosquitos because they eat up my girl real bad.
Originally Posted by reivertom
I found that out the hard way who tf would think yellow jackets would be out at 11pm
I've never been attacked at night. Maybe I was scared enough to get the heck out of there. I've killed out at least 3 big nests, and one got me all over while mowing. My head swelled up like a lopsided basketball. I got even though....
Originally Posted by funshooter
Been painting my house and I seen some black Wasps.
Never seen them before
They were making a nest up under my Eave .
So they are probably not the same as the ones you guys are talking about.

I took the pressure washer to them maybe only 4 or 5 a week ago.
I went out today to do some more painting before the rain came in.
Ya go figure Rain in Southern Commyfornia.

and those black wasps were back again.

They left me alone so I left them alone.
I do not go on that side of the house much so they can live until they come after me then they will be gone real fast.
I was told that Wasps et Mosquitos. If they do I would rather have them than the Mosquitos because they eat up my girl real bad.

Black wasps are pretty easy going, until late in the summer.
You can be all over a nest in the spring, and early summer,
they won't bother you unless you darn near touch it.

Then suddenly, a switch flips. Here, it's August/September.
Walk past, 10' away, and they are on you like demons.
Ground hornets killed our Dachshund. Stung him enough his kidneys shut down according to the vet. Glad I'am not allergic to the stings.
Found this last month, appeared that a bear or some such critter had found it first as the tarp was already flipped over and the original nest[upper portion] was half attached, half on the ground.
The lower portion was new.
Several nights of spraying and it now appears they are all gone.
Have found 3 other in-ground YJ nests while mowing/bushhogging.
2 of those have been 'gas bombed' so far.
Bastids get mean this time of year!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Im headed back out in a few to bush hog some.

Or as some northern phaggots call it “Brush hog”

Wtf
Originally Posted by slumlord

Wtf

One dude from New Yawk does his bushhoggin with his steel toes!
Originally Posted by Pat85
Ground hornets killed our Dachshund. Stung him enough his kidneys shut down according to the vet. Glad I'am not allergic to the stings.

Sorry for your pup, Pat.
A few weeks ago I took care of a ground nest of V. alascensis that killed a man's Golden Retriever. It was the first time I'd heard of this happening.
Our two most common aerial nesting vespids.

Bald-faced Hornet (D. maculata)

Yellow Hornet (D. arenaria)
Occasionally a typical ground nesting yellow jacket will make an aerial nest. This is V. alascensis (Common Yellow Jacket) with cutaway to show plates of comb.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]would you be my angel

Originally Posted by Raeford

Wtf

Im only an occasional visitor to this campfire. So I’m not keyed in on what that is a reference to.

Must be a helluvah dude
I have a bald faced hornets nest somewhere close by. They found my hummingbird feeder and there have been 6 or 7 of them on it at a time for 2 weeks now.

I'm guessing I'll see it around when the leaves fall
Originally Posted by Raeford

Wtf

Im only an occasional visitor to this campfire. So I’m not keyed in on what that is a reference to.

Must be a helluvah dude

Same here.

I think he's big buds with that Jimmy guy out northwest?
That the dudes that live in trailers with junk cars and chit everywhere?
Ran over a yellow jacket nest with the tractor 4-5 years ago and got stung by about a dozen.

They all died, so did the nest. Apparently I’m contagious.

Chuck
Can somebody post a video of themselves getting stung while running away swatting and yelping, it would help this thread go over the top.
Saw the rear tire run over it was in bail out position after I saw the swarm been diverting around it paper nest on the ground I’ve had 50/50 success with night time napalm runs on yellow jackets how would you proceed?
That is odd, I've never seen a black hornet nest on or in the ground, plenty of bumble bee nests and yellow jackets, But the black hornets were always up in a tree or supported by a building overhang. Bumble bees can get irate about being mowed over.
One of our favorite past times when I was a kid was throwing rocks at the nests and trying to destroy it without getting stung. Good times.

One of the coolest things when I was a kid was watching my old man shoot nests with a 12ga.

Had fun a couple of times. Go out there before the sun comes up and make a torch with a stick and a rag with diesel fuel on it and just hold it under the hole at the bottom and watch the layers burn off.

Usually, I just hit the hole with bee killer early in the morning.

We buy bee killer by the case here at work. There's a lot of pallets of flagstone and fieldstone out there. Most of this stuff is constantly getting moved, but if they hang around too long without getting moved or sold, the bees will make it their home.
Originally Posted by 5sdad

LOL laugh Great story.

I've been the poor fool up in the top of the barn many times, but never had a bee's nest in a bail. Usually, the bail in question stayed in the field and never made it onto the wagon.
Originally Posted by 673
Can somebody post a video of themselves getting stung while running away swatting and yelping, it would help this thread go over the top.

Several years ago I was walking in the woods in N Wisconsin to check a deer stand with my Lab. He thinks he finds a large ball in the grass so he attempts to bring it to me but no it was a mud dauber Hornet nest which proceeds to attack him. I see him jumping up in the air and rolling to stop them, not knowing what he got into I call him and see the swarm of hornets on and chasing him. I take off running and the swarms comes after me fortunately I had a wool shirt jacket on and pulled it over my head. Those buggers chased us for 200 yards. I was stung 8 times and my lab maybe 15 or so, we both took some benedril. The next morning was cool to I made a torch (rag soaked in Gas) and returned the favor. I have also shot nests out of trees with my 12g, it works but they get pretty nasty if it isn't cool out

That could be sketchy. Does it seem to have a single entrance/exit hole? If so, the foaming spray stuff should be fine. If there are multiple entrances / exits, it could get sketchy. I haven't run into one of THEIR nests in or on the ground, "just" yellowjackets. I don't usually find the hornets to be quite as aggressive until riled but their sting is a lot worse and it doesn't seem to take a whole lot to rile 'em up.

Foaming spray is probably the safe / sane way to go, but there could be other options? smile

1) Tannerite.

2) Dispose of excess 2Fg and cannon fuse?

3) If there's no fire risk, soak an old towel in gas / diesel / kerosene, toss it over the nest, and light it.

4) If there is a fire risk, do almost the same, but after dropping the towel over the nest, put a 5 gallon bucket over that.

5) Maybe fipronyl (??) mixed into some raw meat placed near the hole.

Watch out for secondary / "back door" entrance / exits. I fought a yellowjacket ground nest one year that I couldn't seem to kill. Turns out there was a second hole 15 feet away .. connected. I didn't figure it out 'til a skunk dug out both holes. Lucky I didn't get stung. I hit 4 ground nests in that same 6 acre hay field mowing that year.
Had a nest of Yellow Jackets in a wood retaining wall I just couldn't
kill. Guess they were back in there, off to the side or something.

Finally soaked a rag with gas and put hi on a piece of all thread.
Shoved that against the hole and propped it there with firewood.

2 days later I moved it, haven't seen yellow jackets there since.
I had fairly good results with a push mower sitting over a YJ nest last year.
Didn't want to gas it being dead center in our little front yard.
Right at dark-thirty I fired the mower up, tied the kill handle on and let is sit over the nest for about 20 minutes.
I believe the few that survived decided to go elsewhere and start over.
While reroofing a house, I found that a foam cannon like this (https://cdn.protoolreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Chemical-Guys-Big-Mouth-Foam-Cannon08.jpg) filled with Dawn dish soap and attached to a 4 GPM / 4k PSI pressure is the perfect weapon for the little buggers. Unlimited cheap ammo supply, sprays a cone of fire 8 feet wide 30 feet out and the dish soap clogs their pores so they drop out of the air instantly like hit by lightning. Great practice for pigeon shoots!
I believe the dish soap allows the water to wet their breathing pores.
If you can identify the entry hole to a ground nesting wasp nest the rest is easy. Mark the hole. After black dark head out with a funnel and a cup or so of gas. Stick the funnel in the hole and dump the gas in as a chaser. Done. Experience not conjecture.
Awhile back I watched a youtube video of a guy using a drone to destroy a hornets nest with the blades of the drone. Kind of creepy how many hornets came out of that nest.......
Originally Posted by 673
Your from Canada's you must have a lumber jack video
I ran into a small hornets nest about the size of a grapefruit and 6 feet off the ground. They
were small (3/4" or less) and solid black. Never seen these before. Mean buggers and one
nailed me on the ear and it took a week for swelling and pain to go away.
I became a little more tolerant of black hornets when I watched them hunting mosquitoes. They would fly slowly, just above the grass take and grab the mosquitoes as they flew up from the grass. Another interesting interaction was seeing a robber fly take a yellowjacket out of the air. GD
are we talking ground hornets are above ground nesting? when I was a kid we ran over a ground nest bailing hay. it was with a doors and windows open tractor. We got attacked and had to bail out of the tractor leaving it running at full throttle with the hay swather running as well. my dad got a leather jacket, gloves, 3 pairs of pants and rescued the tractor. We had to come back with the sealed cab tractor, ran the front tire over the ground nest back and forth, then soaked it with diesel.

for hard to reach hornet nests in trees etc. we used 12 gauge 8 shot and blasted them out of the trees.
Hornets…big nest in a tree (usually) basketball size. Enclosed structure of gray looking newspaper type material

Yellow jackets….hole in the ground

Wasps….little clump of open paper comb, size of palm of hand- some bigger- some smaller

I’m not aware of what imaginary insect universe some of yall live in.

Bumble bees…different entity off topic

Carpenter bees…different entity off topic

Big giant yellow mfkers that fly at night and bounce off if your porch light…different entity

Honey bees…different entity

Cicada killers…different entity

Sweat bees…different entity

JFC…log off NATIONALFILE and ConservativeTreehouse.com
pick up a dayum book and go outside
Fipronil for yellowjackets is amazing.
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
We buy bee killer by the case here at work. There's a lot of pallets of flagstone and fieldstone out there. Most of this stuff is constantly getting moved, but if they hang around too long without getting moved or sold, the bees will make it their home.

I thought bee killer won't work on wasp\hornets nor vice versa?

Had bees in large numbers at my old lease. You would hear a swarm hum past you on breezy days. Had a tree I called the humming tree where I guess they made a home in a knotted out hole. Stayed clear of it.

The wasps would find refuge by the hundreds in the folds of your camper trailer awning poles in cold weather. Would tumble out in a baseball sized ball when extending the arms. You could kill so many the ground would stink in the morning.

Never seen a hornets nest- those pics give me the willies.
Hornets…big nest in a tree (usually) basketball size. Enclosed structure of gray looking newspaper type material

Yellow jackets….hole in the ground

Wasps….little clump of open paper comb, size of palm of hand- some bigger- some smaller

I’m not aware of what imaginary insect universe some of yall live in.

The European Hornet is the only true hornet in North America. The bald-faced hornet, yellow jacket, and paper wasp are all wasps.
Busch can is for size reference only don’t know where it came from [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
For the bee expert to figure out I already know what it is [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I saw some coming out yesterday, got to get them
I had two of those black hornet nests on my place. got stung just looking at one of them. Very painful.

I called an exterminator and paid him 70 bux to deal with them. Well worth it.
Originally Posted by hanco
I saw some coming out yesterday, got to get them

Killed a few yellow jacket nests under the eves already..

They are getting started.
Get some goats.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Get some goats.
I thought they only ate tin cans.

Hornets too?
Get some goats.
I had 30 head at one time they run from bees
Originally Posted by blanket
Originally Posted by 673
Your from Canada's you must have a lumber jack video

He’s a lumberjack and he’s OK …..😁
Had a yellow jacket nest under a shed, took my shop vac and set it up by the hole. Two days later no activity, sprayed some killer in the vacuum hose and sealed it up. Checked it 2 days later and must have killed 2000 of them bastids.
Sometimes yellow jackets will try to build a nest under our deck roof. I wait until dark, then take the hornet spray and spray it in the hole. Some hornets will try to crawl out, just give them a shot. If any should make it to flying, they are slow, just give them a squirt, they're easy to hit and they fall to the ground.

That's about the end of the nest. A day or two later, just scrape the nest off and dispose of it.
Get some goats.

Your goats were puzzies.
I’d just move, keep going north til you see snow, then drive another 2 hours and buy a house…
Your welcome. 😀

We have those hornets like that that build the big paper nest like in these pictures. You wait till its about 20 degrees or less to mess with the nest.
I tried to cut one down onetime when it was below freezing a little thinking it would be ok. There were still live ones in the nest. none got me. They were cold and were slow. But I had to run for it. I hear they hurt bad.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Get some goats.

Your goats were puzzies.

Hahaha!
Originally Posted by DMc

Yep. NOPE.
Yellow jacket stings are no walk in the park but those black hornets make yellow jackets look like rookies. They hurt like hell and the sting lasts for a good while......
© 24hourcampfire