Home
Decided I need a seven pin connector in the bed of my truck for a gooseneck.
Is there a consensus on whether location for connector is towards the front, middle or back of the truck bed?
Looks like it is a simple enough job with the harness kit.
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
Is there a consensus on whether location for connector is towards the front, middle or back of the truck bed?

back somewhere between the back of wheel well to tail gate mine is closer the tail gate , easier to plug in and unplug.

norm
Taking 12v feeds from tail end? Shorter wiring closer to back and easier to reach from end of bed.

Do not mount with connector facing up - go horizontal or, better yet if possible, facing downward.
If you already have a connector back by the bumper, just buy an extension cable.

Do TWO (bed and bumper)... and carry an extension cord (7 pin). Like $100 in parts or less on EBay.

TRUST ME... having a plan B is very important.
I have one on receiver hitch below bumper when I got stuck last hunting season it got damaged and now a plug doesn’t stay.

I came off the mountain with a skid steer and no trailer brakes on Saturday after gooseneck plug came out.

A seven pin in the bed will keep cord inside bed without chance of dragging even if it were to come out.

Looks like Y splitter is $50-60 so relatively inexpensive.

Just deciding whether to place it towards the front of the bed or to the rear?

I will repair the bumper seven pin when I add the new one.
I have one on receiver hitch below bumper when I got stuck last hunting season it got damaged and now a plug doesn’t stay.

I came off the mountain with a skid steer and no trailer brakes on Saturday after gooseneck plug came out.

A seven pin in the bed will keep cord inside bed without chance of dragging even if it were to come out.

Looks like Y splitter is $50-60 so relatively inexpensive.

Just deciding whether to place it towards the front of the bed or to the rear?

I will repair the bumper seven pin when I add the new one.

Smart!

My 3500 dump - Under the trap door for the gooseneck ball and one on the bumper.

My 1997 3500 - Bed wall driverside and one on the bumper.

My 2011 3500 - Bed wall driverside and one on the bumper.

My 1996 2500 - Two on the bumper... no Gooseneck ball in bed.

My 2010 Prius - Gooseneck ball on the roof... 7 pin beside it... and one on the bumper.

----------------------------------

Just kidding about the Prius
There's one in my truck from factory, it on the driver side in the inside bedside near the tailgate.
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Do TWO (bed and bumper)... and carry an extension cord (7 pin). Like $100 in parts or less on EBay.

TRUST ME... having a plan B is very important.
Agree 100%

(either tows alot, or has loaned out) laugh
I can't speak for a plug in the bed, but the rear one on my Dodge is next to the license plate. If you drag that one, the plug will be the least of your problems.
My pickup has a goose neck hitch that I've never used. I have wondered where the best place would be for the plug. I see cords hanging over tailgates all the time and have never liked that approach.
Inside,back near tail gate , driver's side if you don't plan on any bumper pulls. If bumper pull is included, put it on bumper and make an extension for the gooseneck
I purchased a harness kit. It plugs in ahead of the factory bumper light connector. Has its own Y, and was long enough to put the plug in front of the wheel well on the drver's side.
Everything is factory plug and play. No splices.

I can use it to plug in a goose neck. But location was determined by the bed mounted camper. That is where the accessory door on the camper is located, once mounted.
Looks like forward mount is more often for slide in camper. Not planning for that so will add to rearward maybe a little higher so I can reach over bed rails or tailgate to disconnect.

Thanks for the comments.
When my '01 had a bed, it was between wheel well and tail gate, drivers side.
You could unhook goose neck AND plug at the same spot.
Also has 7 pin on bumper.
I bought an adapter to go from 7 pin to 4 pin.
Now the '01 is a flatbed.
Still on rear bumper and under goose neck cover plate.

'03 still has bed plug between wheel well and tailgate and at rear bumper. The goose neck ball was removed by seller. I just never replaced it.
Something like this will make it easy. I think most newer trucks have them in the bed between the tailgate nd back wheel, drivers side.

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Pollak/PK11893-11932.html
my truck has two, one by the license plate and on in the bed by the wheel well. i find the one by the license plate to be the most convenient and handy.

reaching in to plug and unplug is a pain in rain and with mud on the outside. and the cord inside takes up space in the bed- junk is either caught on it or sits on it.
Originally Posted by smarquez
Something like this will make it easy. I think most newer trucks have them in the bed between the tailgate nd back wheel, drivers side.

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Pollak/PK11893-11932.html

Yes, that is the kit I used. I do a lot of business with E trailer.
Some jackazz mounted the one on my utility truck about 4” off center, on the rear bumper. Back up to a trailer and miss the ball by a few inches you crush the damn thing. Ended up moving it.
This has been the dumbast campfire thread of all time
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Some jackazz mounted the one on my utility truck about 4” off center, on the rear bumper. Back up to a trailer and miss the ball by a few inches you crush the damn thing. Ended up moving it.

ROFLMAO...

Yepp...

In that case I would do THREE.
My grandfather used to have an irrigation company and we had a bunch of different lightweight pipe trailers for hauling 20' sticks of pvc. We would loan them to customers for stringing out the pipe in the fields....they would ALWAYS come back missing the male plug end for the lights so we installed a female on all of the trailers and made up a bunch of male x male "pig tails" we would sell to the customers for a few bucks lol. Saved ALOT of time messing with trailer lights and a side benefit was if it ever hung up on something you were only out the pig tail.
Originally Posted by blanket
This has been the dumbast campfire thread of all time

why because we all agreed , untill u called us all dumb, the poster asked a legitimate question and got clear answers .

norm
© 24hourcampfire