Home

Alleged drunk driver pleads not guilty to negligent vehicular assault

[Linked Image from hagadone.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com]

Accused drunk driver Kenneth Malcolm Stevenson appeared in Flathead County District Court for his arraignment last week while the family of cyclists he allegedly struck in late August continues to struggle with the wounds, both visible and not, suffered during the collision.

Stevenson, 34, pleaded not guilty to a single felony count of negligent vehicular assault* before Judge Dan Wilson on Sept. 8. An omnibus hearing was set for Nov. 16 with Stevenson expected back in court for a pretrial conference on Jan. 4.

According to court documents, Stevenson seriously injured one man — and struck a Jeep — when he tried to pass a group of cyclists pedaling northbound on Seventh Avenue East North on Aug. 21 in his Ford F-350 pickup. Kalispell Police officers arriving on scene reported that Stevenson, who was driving shoeless, had slurred speech, watery and bloodshot eyes, and the odor of an alcoholic beverage, court documents said.

They also allegedly found a piece of clothing stuck to the heavily damaged front end of Stevenson’s pickup.

Struggling to keep his balance, Stevenson needed the help of officers to stand upright, court documents said. He allegedly admitted to drinking at an area bar prior to the collision and later agreed to a blood draw after initially refusing.

COURT DOCUMENTS highlight one of Stevenson’s alleged victims — Shane Corpron — describing the man as suffering broken ribs, a broken pelvis and possibly a broken back.

Jade Corpron, Shane’s daughter-in-law, said that he was not alone in suffering injuries. After striking Shane Corpron, the pickup collided with a Jeep traveling ahead of it, she recalled in a phone interview. Then Stevenson tried to back up and hit her and her 6-year-old child, Jade Corpron said.

“He hit my son so hard it blew his tennis shoes off across the highway and mangled his handlebars on his little bike,” said Jade Corpron, who recounted being dragged by Stevenson’s vehicle into a ditch.

Then, she said, Stevenson tried to flee. He was blocked in by another vehicle and a bystander even offered to zip-tie him, Jade Corpron recalled.

“The damage he did is horrible and every official that’s been there has said they don’t know how we’re still alive,” she said. “Just the fact that he tried to leave us, it’s not something we’re going to get past. It was like we were just discarded, like roadkill, him leaving us on the side of the road like that.”

Owing to the extent of his injuries, officials flew Shane Corpron to Harborview Medical Center in Washington. He has since returned home, but must use a wheelchair to get around while he recuperates, said Jade Corpron, describing him as “just completely broken top to bottom.”

She and her son, Beau, were checked out by paramedics at the scene. Their injuries, including severe bruising, only became clear later. She reported struggling with migraines and has experienced problems with her neck, hips and knee. Her son also suffers night terrors and likely will see a forensic psychologist, she said.

“The damage [Stevenson] caused is so much deeper than the things that will heal,” Jade Corpron said.

Stevenson, meanwhile, appeared in the courtroom in street clothes. Initially held in the county jail with bail set at $20,000, he was later released on his own recognizance, although with conditions. Those stipulations include abstaining from alcohol and avoiding places where alcohol is served. He must also participate in the county’s sobriety compliance monitoring program, according to court documents.

“[Stevenson] is out walking around,” Jade Corpron said. “For your entire family to be in so much mental and physical pain and he’s out walking around — we’re not OK.”

Negligent vehicular assault carries a maximum penalty of up to 10 years in Montana State Prison and a fine of $10,000 as well as possible court-ordered restitution.
Well, the message is clear. If ya wanna mow down bicyclists in your F250 it's best to remain sober.
The man was just trying to stay hydrated. Bicyclists need to learn to stay off the roads, a working man ain't got time for this crap.
Sorry to hear about the truck.
It's a good thing they let him loose. His sister will have someone to fugk now.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

One of those non-bicyclists I’m sure.

LOL
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Well, the message is clear. If ya wanna mow down bicyclists in your F250 it's best to remain sober.
Not very sporting.
Not Guilty.
Originally Posted by RiverRider

The Dually provides a bigger footprint.
Forensic psychologist......biotch please. A little over dramatic and ooking for a BIG payout.
Well heck. Not much more to say.
Upity Flathead folks can't afford a car to haul the family around in? Riding little bicycles? Sounds like a set up.
The Flathead Taxpayers have invested 10's of millions of dollars developing pedestrian and BICYCLE trails throughout the city and county providing safe passage exclusively for their use.

But noooo, these trouble makers were riding up the middle of 7th Ave.

Aren't there laws that protect us from such hooligans that stage 'accidents' just to collect lawsuit and insurance monies?

If there is one good thing that becomes of this it that they now fully understand their position..

Originally Posted by Kamikaze Bicyclist
It was like we were just discarded, like roadkill, him leaving us on the side of the road like that.”
Any updates on the bicyclist?

Any chance he died?
I think there was a community outpouring of support on a Gofundme campaign to help the guy get his truck repaired.

Probably won't hear anything about the California Transplant Road Stains, they're as common as noxious weeds in the region, nobody cares as long as their eradicated.
I biked every day from age 50 to 68, but then had to quit because of cars passing me on blind corners. 25 mph zone, I bike at 21 mph, cars want to go 35 mph.

The worst was in a hairpin curve I was being passed while oncomming another car was passing another bike. I was crowded off the road and into the bushes, and so was the oncoming bike.

My Go Pro camera was not getting the licence plates of the cars. The cops kept telling me to get the licence plate number. A pizza delivery truck that was passing me on a blind corner was unique enough to be identified and the oncoming car was honking enough so the cops visit got the driver fired.
Doesn't look like a "fugk spandex and eat my diesel face to me." Looks more like a "fugk me, I am stupid face."

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Very different from this face. lolololol

Originally Posted by Clarkm
I biked every day from age 50 to 68, but then had to quit because of cars passing me on blind corners. 25 mph zone, I bike at 21 mph, cars want to go 35 mph.

The worst was in a hairpin curve I was being passed while oncomming another car was passing another bike. I was crowded off the road and into the bushes, and so was the oncoming bike.

My Go Pro camera was not getting the licence plates of the cars. The cops kept telling me to get the licence plate number. A pizza delivery truck that was passing me on a blind corner was unique enough to be identified and the oncoming car was honking enough so the cops visit got the driver fired.

Sorry to hear you lived.

The difference between staying behind you in those blind corners and passing you was probably 5 full seconds, you disrespectful ass. Happy hour only lasts so long.
Originally Posted by JeffA
The Flathead Taxpayers have invested 10's of millions of dollars developing pedestrian and BICYCLE trails throughout the city and county providing safe passage exclusively for their use.

But noooo, these trouble makers were riding up the middle of 7th Ave.

Aren't there laws that protect us from such hooligans that stage 'accidents' just to collect lawsuit and insurance monies?

If there is one good thing that becomes of this it that they now fully understand their position..

Originally Posted by Kamikaze Bicyclist
It was like we were just discarded, like roadkill, him leaving us on the side of the road like that.”

There’s a beautiful park near here with a full skeet, trap, sporting clays, pistol, and rifle range. Archery and a big R/C airfield too.

They set a big chunk aside and made mountain bike trails. Great idea, right? Well it would be if the lazy fugks stayed in the mountain bike section.

The ones that have no equilibrium (vast majority) have to meander around the paved roads in the park. Speed limit is only 15mph and they’ll do around 10.

So they built a bike lane. Think they use it? Nope. Right down the middle of the road. Because “it’s a park!”

They also built a track on the perimeter of the park for distance runners. Guess who flocked straight to that? Yep. The world’s laziest exercisers.

And the best (dumbest) of that lot are the ones you see parking in the park, then bicycling out of the park, so they can mix in with Broward County traffic.

LOL

The most worthless group of hobbyist on earth. The worst.
Originally Posted by deflave
...group of hobbyist on earth.

I hate when people who ride a bicycle call it a sport. It's an activity or a hobby. Just as dumb as when shooters call shooting a gun a "sport."

I hate when people who ride a bicycle call it a sport. It's an activity or a hobby. Just as dumb as when shooters call shooting a gun a "sport."

My late pheasant hunting buddy from England had a Boeing fellowship and claimed he could spell and define any word I could pronounce in the Oxford English dictionary.
He was adamant that we were not "hunting" but "shooting". He said the word "hunting" was reserved for fox hunting with horses and hounds.
I ignored his exclusive use of the word "hunting".

During covid my grandkids had a nanny with the prefered pronouns of they and them. She had purple hair on top and shaved sides of her head.
I ignored her pronouns. When I referred to her in he 3rd person, I called her "that fat monster bitch".
Sorry to hear about the truck.
LMAO....but geeez...
Doesn't look like a "fugk spandex and eat my diesel face to me." Looks more like a "fugk me, I am stupid face."

Lol!!!
A Hammered ginger doing Pol Pot biker eradication ops.
This thread is classic.
👍👍😀😀😀

Cycling and Shooting have been contested at every Summer Olympic Games since the birth of the modern Olympic movement at the 1896 Summer Olympics. The only problem was they did not incorporate the bicyclist as shooting targets.

Dude is freaky looking. Friggin white eyelashes, wtf?
We have this,

[Linked Image from discoverkalispell.com]

This

[Linked Image from hagadone.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com][Linked Image from flatheadbeacon.com][Linked Image from ewscripps.brightspotcdn.com]

And Even These

Yet the bone headed bike brigade insist on doing THIS

[Linked Image from adventurecycling.org][Linked Image from adventurecycling.org]

Then they expect sympathy when they get mowed down..
Originally Posted by renegade50

Lol!!!
A Hammered ginger doing Pol Pot biker eradication ops.
This thread is classic.
👍👍😀😀😀

lololololol
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Has anyone seen Goalie lately?

[Linked Image from adventurecycling.org][Linked Image from adventurecycling.org]

What's boneheaded in the pics?
Air horn and snow plow solves these problems.

Just wait for no guard rail
Can you even mount a snow plow on your Prius?

LOL!

One of those non-bicyclists I’m sure.

LOL

Yeah, a man.

Blocking the no passing passing lane?
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Has anyone seen Goalie lately?

It's called blond. Blonde when it's a woman.
Seems like one long ad for a bull guard/ grill guard bumper upgrade.
We have this,

[Linked Image from discoverkalispell.com]

This

[Linked Image from hagadone.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com][Linked Image from flatheadbeacon.com][Linked Image from ewscripps.brightspotcdn.com]

And Even These

Hey, asswholes driving a car down the hwy at 15 mph get to ride side by side and block traffic. What's the big deal? grin
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Hey, asswholes driving a car down the hwy at 15 mph get to ride side by side and block traffic. What's the big deal? grin

I didn't see any blocked traffic in that pic.
Looks like they made it to Glacier Park.

if you can’t see it…..
Originally Posted by UpThePole
Air horn and snow plow solves these problems.

UTP talking about his ass hole again.

LOL

Who are they blocking?
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
LOL
In between my after lunch nap and my important internet posting time today, I took a bicycle ride.

Goddam pedestrians. There's so much wrong with these pics.

First and foremost, spandex is disgusting.

I don't see a license plate on that ass.

Doubt she has insurance.

Pedestrians don't pay taxes.

She couldn't manage to stay in her 12 foot wide lane. She spent most of her time in the separation zone, and some of her time wandering aimlessly into the bike lane.

She was completely distracted by her phone and never even looked back to see if she might be blocking bicyclists.

Her behavior is extremely dangerous to bicyclists.

If I or another very responsible cyclist had hit her, it could have induced life changing PTSD.

It could have damaged our expensive bicycles too.

If I could have rolled coal, I would have.

fugking spandex.

Need to photoshop out the road work signs.
Being an arrogant prick isn't limited to bicyclists,

They just have a much higher percentage than most other groups
In between my after lunch nap and my important internet posting time today, I took a bicycle ride.

Doubt she has insurance.

She couldn't manage to stay in her 12 foot wide lane. She spent most of her time in the separation zone, and some of her time wandering aimlessly into the bike lane.

She was completely distracted by her phone and never even looked back to see if she might be blocking bicyclists.

If I or another very responsible cyclist had hit her, it could have induced life changing PTSD.

fugking spandex.

Aren't you in to guys?
Originally Posted by 700LH

They just have a much higher percentage than most other groups

That should be a period after bicyclists. I have never known an arrogant bicyclist.

It's always under construction.
Originally Posted by losttrail60
Aren't you were in to guys?

English mother fugker. Type it.

Repairing damage caused by bicyclists, obviously.
Aren't you in to guys?

That's a yes then.

Repairing damage caused by bicyclists obviously.
Yes, repairing damage caused when a family in a minivan crashed and burned dodging arrogant pricks on bikes
Aren't you in to guys?

That's a yes then.

You aren't the sharpest marble in the sack are you?

It's a great ride if you ever have the opportunity.

We take the bikes up to Logan Pass after dark in the pickup and ride them down, traffic is typically zero at night and you can see thier headlights coming if there happens to be any..

Put that bike in the highest gear It's got and pedal like hell, you can achieve phenomenal speeds.

There are steel grates across the road imbedded in the pavement for drainage, they make you pucker when you cross them.

You need the whole road to make the corners at such high speeds.
Just slow it down if you can see oncoming headlights.

We go down the west side from Logan Pass and stop at the parking area at the switchback or what may be referred to as 'the loop'. It's about a 8 mile run at a steady 6% grade.

It requires as much wits as skills.

If you can’t see it , which I know you can’t, never mind.

We take the bikes up to Logan Pass after dark in the pickup and ride them down, traffic is typically zero at night and you can see thier headlights coming if there happens to be any..

Put that bike in the highest gear It's got and pedal like hell, you can achieve phenomenal speeds.

There are steel grates across the road imbedded in the pavement for drainage, they make you pucker when you cross them.

We go down the west side from Logan Pass and stop at the parking area at the switchback or what may be referred to as 'the loop'. It's about a 8 mile run at a steady 6% grade.

I have hit 50 on a bike before. I don't really need to do that again. LOL. I'd love to ride Glacier, and for what it's worth stay as much out of the way as possible while doing it.
Originally Posted by Whelenman

That's what I thought...imaginary issues.

I have hit 50 on a bike before. I don't really need to do that again. LOL. I'd love to ride Glacier, and for what it's worth stay as much out of the way as possible while doing it.

Glacier is a bumper to bumper event anymore on a road too narrow to accomadate cars and bikes at the same time.
Who are they blocking?

Common sense.

You’re proof of that.
Bicycle riders are always getting into trouble in the park.

They're more of a nuisance than the bears.

Avalanche Strands Cyclists on Glacier Park’s Sun Road

They use to allow early access to the road for bikes before it would open for the season for cars.

They've gotten away from that due to such events.
Originally Posted by Whelenman

That's what I thought...imaginary issues.

Let’s see ! In the fist picture their taking up the entire road. In the next picture their taking up the whole left lane! Now in Michigan that is illegal, in La nothing is illegal I guess!
Pedal cyclist has the same rights, and the same responsibilities, to the road as a motorist in Texas.

You won't see many around here though. Too many welders.

The difference between staying behind you in those blind corners and passing you was probably 5 full seconds, you disrespectful ass. Happy hour only lasts so long.

You can rail against human nature all you want, ain’t gonna change anything. Traffic laws ain’t gonna save you either. Ride a bike in the roadway you’re liable to get run over, just the way it is. I figure the odds are maybe a tad less than a pedestrian in the road getting hit but that’s just conjecture on my part.

Anyhoo... I put in my regular ten on the bike alongside commuter traffic today.

Who are they blocking?
Whoever is behind them taking the pic's.
If the photographer is one of the group, he is o the wrong side of the road - as were others in the previous pic.
Evidently, crossing the centerline is OK for bicyclists, but not motorists?
Are bicyclists required to stay as far right as feasible, when there is no designated bike lane?

When I look at those pictures, I see arrogance on display.

FWIW, I have nothing against bicyclists who do it right - but that seems to be a rare breed, anymore.

You’re proof of that.
Coming from you?
A compliment, thanks
Bicycle riders are always getting into trouble in the park.

They're more of a nuisance than the bears.

Avalanche Strands Cyclists on Glacier Park’s Sun Road

"After clearing the rockslide, and ensuring that the avalanche had stabilized, park staff began to clear a path through the avalanche to gain access to the stranded cyclists. The 13 cyclists were trapped on the other side of the slide for about eight hours. Park officials said they were cold, but otherwise in good spirits. Park officials said the men passed the time playing "hide the salami" to the dismay of rescuers arriving on the scene.
13 bicycle idiots trapped on the wrong side of a pile of snow for 8 hours and not one of them could figure out what to do about it?

Where's that infamous man eating Glacier Park Grizzly when ya need him?

You’re proof of that.
Coming from you?
A compliment, thanks

Sure thing, Booster Boy.

LOL
Originally Posted by akasparky
13 bicycle idiots trapped on the wrong side of a pile of snow for 8 hours and not one of them could figure out what to do about it?

Every one of them was a Biden voter too.

Just like your dumb ass.

LOL
Originally Posted by mark shubert
If the photographer is one of the group, he is o the wrong side of the road - as were others in the previous pic.
Are bicyclists required to stay as far right as feasible, when there is no designated bike lane?

FWIW, I have nothing against bicyclists who do it right - but that seems to be a rare breed, anymore.

It is most likely that it is a member of their group or another cyclist taking the photo. My point is that there is no need to imagine that those cyclists are creating a problem. Almost all states use the words "far right as practicable." Not possible. That language was purposefully chosen. It allows the cyclist to take a position at other places on the road for a number of reasons. For example when I ride, I ride pretty much center lane. It makes me more visible to others, it makes drivers less likely to do a brush pass, and it makes them more likely to treat me like traffic. Once I am confident a vehicle coming up from behind sees me, I ease over an they go around without delay. If I ride with another person or a group, I'll ride side by side. That's allowed in every state whose bicycle law I have read. Riding side by side makes us "easier to see" for those who might claim a bicyclist is "hard to see." Again, when traffic comes up from behind, I accommodate them.

I reckon someone will see that as arrogant. I can only say that I won't apologize for riding a bicycle on the road, I won't take kindly to being bullied and I do care about those I share the road with and will work cooperatively with them.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

You can rail against human nature all you want, ain’t gonna change anything. Traffic laws ain’t gonna save you either. Ride a bike in the roadway you’re liable to get run over, just the way it is. I figure the odds are maybe a tad less than a pedestrian in the road getting hit but that’s just conjecture on my part.

Anyhoo... I put in my regular ten on the bike alongside commuter traffic today.

"Rail against nature." LOL. I simply put things into their proper perspective.
Originally Posted by akasparky
Every one of them was a Biden voter too.

Just like your dumb ass.

LOL

Most all of us that have basic understanding of human psychology realize your continued bashing of others in these threads is actually you projecting all those character flaws you despise in yourself upon others.

It's kinda cute in a way, most of us have the compassion to let it slide, you're just our little pet problemed child.

But voting for Biden?
That's a bridge too far, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Now go sit in your corner until you can say you're sorry
I reckon some will see this as arrogant: I won't apologize for believing bikes don't belong on the road for recreational activity, I don't take kindly to them being on the road phoucking off on said road and most of them I've encountered do not care or cooperate with anything other than their Lance Armstrong wet dreams. Except to the point they get hit or run off the road.

Does anyone have pics of those bastards playing 4 man badminton in the middle of those mountain passes? Oh right....
Originally Posted by HawkI
I reckon some will see this as arrogant: I won't apologize for believing bikes don't belong on the road for recreational activity, I don't take kindly to them being on the road phoucking off on said road and most of them I've encountered do not care or cooperate with anything other than their Lance Armstrong wet dreams. Except to the point they get hit or run off the road.

Does anyone have pics of those bastards playing 4 man badminton in the middle of those mountain passes? Oh right....

Please feel free to post more dumb, disconnected responses.

The term was “rail against human nature”, not the same thing.

As usual you dismiss as irrelevant the irritation almost every motorist feels in the pictured situations, exactly like the cyclists in the photos.

What the proper perspective is; those cyclists are making it incumbent on the drivers to avoid permanently mangling their flesh and bones, they are doing this by moving much slower than the flow of traffic while riding in the lane.

I don’t see much substantive difference between that and just walking in the traffic lane with your back to traffic obliging cars to go around you. Neither does almost everybody else.

I’m just grateful I’m allowed to do it. But, if I get hit while doing that, it’s all on me.
The OP is about stupid phouckers that shouldn't be on the road; a pissed up redneck driving a truck and a family that thinks its a perfectly logical idea to play in the street.

You're the mental midget with the disconnect, but keep "pedaling" the notion that half of that stupidity isn't stupid.
The OP is about stupid phouckers that shouldn't be on the road; a pissed up redneck driving a truck and a family that thinks its a perfectly logical idea to play in the street.

You're the mental midget with the disconnect, but keep "pedaling" the notion that half of that stupidity isn't stupid.

You are welcome to try to describe specifically what is stupid in the OP and specifically why. You won't though.

You are on a roll, would you like to try to go 3 for 3?

The term was “rail against human nature”, not the same thing.

As usual you dismiss as irrelevant the irritation almost every motorist feels in the pictured situations, exactly like the cyclists in the photos.

What the proper perspective is; those cyclists are making it incumbent on the drivers to avoid permanently mangling their flesh and bones, they are doing this by moving much slower than the flow of traffic while riding in the lane.

I don’t see much substantive difference between that and just walking in the traffic lane with your back to traffic obliging cars to go around you. Neither does almost everybody else.

I’m just grateful I’m allowed to do it. But, if I get hit while doing that, it’s all on me.

You are imagining that there was auto traffic affected by the cyclists in the photos. I haven't seen any evidence that there was. This ties in very well with my contention that most "problems" with cyclists aren't really problems. The overwhelming majority of the time, the problems are not problems. If they are problems, they certainly pale in comparison to the problems other motorists pose.

It is most likely that it is a member of their group or another cyclist taking the photo. My point is that there is no need to imagine that those cyclists are creating a problem. Almost all states use the words "far right as practicable." Not possible. That language was purposefully chosen. It allows the cyclist to take a position at other places on the road for a number of reasons. For example when I ride, I ride pretty much center lane. It makes me more visible to others, it makes drivers less likely to do a brush pass, and it makes them more likely to treat me like traffic. Once I am confident a vehicle coming up from behind sees me, I ease over an they go around without delay. If I ride with another person or a group, I'll ride side by side. That's allowed in every state whose bicycle law I have read. Riding side by side makes us "easier to see" for those who might claim a bicyclist is "hard to see." Again, when traffic comes up from behind, I accommodate them.

I reckon someone will see that as arrogant. I can only say that I won't apologize for riding a bicycle on the road, I won't take kindly to being bullied and I do care about those I share the road with and will work cooperatively with them.

Bet you made Apple Butter and lard as a kid.
Top 5 pot stirred at least.

If every bike rider responded to cars like you, there would be
fewer accidents, less trouble.

At least half don't.

They stay center lane, 2 wide. And hold up traffic.

But you know that.

Not just bikes.
Recreation in general.
Roadways were built and funded for transportation, not recreation.
ATVs, horses, bikes, Leaf Lookers. Given the power, I'd fine the guts
out of any of them holding up traffic more the 5% of the posted speed.

Equipment, trucks going uphill?
That's commerce, the underlying reason for the transportation in the
first place.

Don't get me started on ignorant Dickweasels blocking the aisle in
The store. The ones taking all day to comb their 8 year olds hair, then
walk him to the door while blocking the drop off lane at school.

Narcissism, Trending in the USA.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
The store.

I'm with you. Just the other day there was a woman with three kids blocking the aisle, couldn't make up her mind which tuna fish to buy. I was in a hurry so I just mowed her down with the cart and kept going.

Not really. I said "excuse me ma'am, could I please get by?" She smiled and said "sorry" and her little boy moved her cart out of the way with a smile. Cute little bugger.

Bet you made Apple Butter and lard as a kid.
Top 5 pot stirred at least.

If every bike rider responded to cars like you, there would be
fewer accidents, less trouble.

At least half don't.

They stay center lane, 2 wide. And hold up traffic.

But you know that.

Not just bikes.
Recreation in general.
Roadways were built and funded for transportation, not recreation.
ATVs, horses, bikes, Leaf Lookers. Given the power, I'd fine the guts
out of any of them holding up traffic more the 5% of the posted speed.

Equipment, trucks going uphill?
That's commerce, the underlying reason for the transportation in the
first place.

The store. The ones taking all day to comb their 8 year olds hair, then
walk him to the door while blocking the drop off lane at school.

Narcissism, Trending in the USA.

FWIW, and that is probably very little, when I interact with bicyclists, I implore them to take a cooperative approach, rather than an us vs them approach.

I don't know that it is narcissism, I think that in general it is a general lack of awareness of surroundings. The people that block the grocery aisle. Not that I have ever done this, but slamming your cart into theirs can make for fascinating human response. People who stand in the check-out line for 5 minutes while their groceries are being rung up, and only consider fumble fugking for their Visa card when the cashier finishes the process. Drivers who get distracted waiting at a traffic light and don't go when it turns green. Drivers who languish in the left lane while cars are continuously passing on the right. I suspect most of it is people who are unaware. Who knows though.

The purpose of roads boils down to belief. Ultimately the law spells out who can and cannot use roads. I don't care why or how someone is using the road as long as they are safe and considerate. I encountered an old guy on one of those 4 wheel disability scooters the other day. It didn't bother me one bit to go around. When I rode my bike yesterday, I encountered a woman in a CRV who stopped right in the middle of a 4 way intersection. I was coming up behind her. I very slowly went around, expecting her to turn left toward me at any moment. She was lighting a damn cigarette. Maybe, pull off to the side of the road to do that? Statistically speaking, there's a large chance of her being the kind that bitches about bicycles.

Farm tractor going down the winding back country road to till the deer plot.

Fat woman driving to McDonalds.

Old geezers in an RV driving up a mountain road.

Angry, middle aged, out of shape white guy driving to the hunting camp.

Horse lover towing horse trailer to the National Forest trail to ride.

Family on their way to Disney.

Bicycle tourist on Route 66.

Amish buggy taking bread to the local outdoor market.

I don't care why people are using the road. Just be as fugking cooperative with others as you can.

I am not so narcissistic that I think I have a right to plow through life without ever lifting off of the gas. Seems many here are unlike me in that regard.
That's like Paul moving to the side.

Ever have them look at you trying to patiently wait a few seconds,
then just go back to looking. When they could easily have given you
room?

Wasn't raised that way.
If someone is being held up by my cart (it happens confused :blush)
I apologize and get the heck over.
Originally Posted by smokepole
The store.

I'm with you. Just the other day there was a woman with three kids blocking the aisle, couldn't make up her mind which tuna fish to buy. I was in a hurry so I just mowed her down with the cart and kept going.

Not really. I said "excuse me ma'am, could I please get by?" She smiled and said "sorry" and her little boy moved her cart out of the way with a smile. Cute little bugger.

You should have reminded her that when she goes through the check out line that it would be courteous to be ready to pay.
I did. And also told her to pull off on the shoulder when she has her kids light her cigarette or fish a beer out if the cooler for her
You are imagining that there was auto traffic affected by the cyclists in the photos.

The second photo appears to be the Going-to-the-Sun highway in Glacier. Hard to imagine a time that highway wouldn’t be uber crowded with vehicle traffic at the season that appears to be. If so, given the narrow nature of that road there’s places where vehicles travelling in opposite directions squeeze by each other with mere inches to spare even without bicycles to contend with.

Ironically, claiming the whole lane as those people are doing may be the only possible way to ride that road in season.

As for the first photo, I think everyone has encountered situations like that at some point while driving. Even without the guys in the wrong lane, haven’t you yourself stated it’s safest for the cyclist to “claim the lane” ie. ride in the traffic lane?

The overwhelming majority of the time, the problems are not problems. If they are problems, they certainly pale in comparison to the problems other motorists pose.

How would this not equally apply to pedestrians walking in the roadway?

Doubt she has insurance.

fugking spandex.

Oh, and I forgot to mention this. Smokepole will get it. She probably drives too. Statistically speaking, odd are she loathes dumb, inconsiderate bicyclists.
Yes, I would find it very difficult to pass her
You are imagining that there was auto traffic affected by the cyclists in the photos.

The second photo appears to be the Going-to-the-Sun highway in Glacier. Hard to imagine a time that highway wouldn’t be uber crowded with vehicle traffic

Since you struggle with logic and tend to engage in obfuscation, I'll tackle this bit by bit, so as not to confuse you.

Don't imagine. It's not so crowded that there's evidence of any other cars on the road. Don't imagine.
If so, given the narrow nature of that road there’s places where vehicles travelling in opposite directions squeeze by each other with mere inches to spare even without bicycles to contend with.

?

If that is the case, then it wouldn't matter if they were in single file. A motorist still wouldn't be able to pass until the oncoming lane was clear.
As for the first photo, I think everyone has encountered situations like that at some point while driving.

?

Again, no evidence that motorists were affected. No, as a motorist I have not encountered anything like that. I suspect the reason is that people won't do it when they see or hear cars coming.
Even without the guys in the wrong lane, haven’t you yourself stated it’s safest for the cyclist to “claim the lane” ie. ride in the traffic lane?

Not sure what that has to do with my comments. Cyclists are more visible when they are out in the lane, less likely to be brush passed and more likely to be perceived as and treated as traffic. That's why my default position is out in the lane. I move right as circumstances warrant.
The overwhelming majority of the time, the problems are not problems. If they are problems, they certainly pale in comparison to the problems other motorists pose.

How would this not equally apply to pedestrians walking in the roadway?

It took a while, but someone finally slammed that bait. I knew someone would unwittingly make my point for me, and it doesn't surprise me that it was you.
It took a while, but someone finally slammed that bait. I knew someone would unwittingly make my point for me, and it doesn't surprise me that it was you.

Your point is unclear from here, you could be avoiding a direct question.

Was your comment related to the post I made about the pedestrian in the picture?
place holder
[Linked Image]

It's illegal to ride across the double yellow in the oncoming lane... regardless if there is traffic or not.

Kent
Any two wheeled transpo, motorized or not, is a hell of a lot of fun.

Leather and Lycra clad tards gotta fugk it up for for everybody though.
Originally Posted by krp

It's illegal to ride across the double yellow in the oncoming lane... regardless if there is traffic or not.

Kent

It's illegal, to drive over the posted speed limit. It's illegal not to come to a full stop at a stop sign. It's illegal to change lanes without giving a signal. Yet these are things that EVERY driver that I know does on a routine basis. Are you going to tell me that you are never guilty of any of those infractions?

It may or may not be illegal to cross a double yellow there.
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

It's illegal, to drive over the posted speed limit. It's illegal not to come to a full stop at a stop sign. It's illegal to change lanes without giving a signal. Yet these are things that EVERY driver that I know does on a routine basis. Are you going to tell me that you are never guilty of any of those infractions?

Has nothing to do with what I said, what I said is truth... you couldn't see the bonehead, I pointed it out.

You aren't as smart as you think you are.

Kent

That's stupid.

Kent
Paul!!

What does that have too do with the price of tea in China???

Cycle riders are a bunch of law breaking, spandex Wearing pussies and you can take that to the bank!!!
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Has nothing to do with what I said, what I said is truth... you couldn't see the bonehead, I pointed it out.

You aren't as smart as you think you are.

Kent

I never said that what they did wasn't illegal, did I? You didn't answer my question. Smart enough to have you afraid to answer a simple question. Checkmate. LOL
I never said that what they did wasn't illegal, did I? You didn't answer my question. Smart enough to have you afraid to answer a simple question. Checkmate. LOL

I'm not answering some long winded side tangent that doesn't relate to what I said... no checkmate.

That's what you do, change the narrative.

You couldn't see the bonehead or the illegal activity.

Kent

Was your comment related to the post I made about the pedestrian in the picture?

Still avoiding a direct question.

Anyhow, you do feel that it’s safer on a bicycle to present a more obvious impediment to traffic.
Originally Posted by krp

I'm not answering some long winded side tangent that doesn't relate to what I said... no checkmate.

Kent

And where did I say you said what they did wasn't illegal, I just quoted your words and you jump to conclusions... double checkmate with a treble hook.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

I am not a hypocrite, so I don't care about the legality. If you want to act like my asking you if you are a hypocrite changes the narrative, well, I certainly understand why. I have yet to have anyone explain to me why it's boneheaded/stupid...unless you want to imagine that there was a car coming.

Still avoiding a direct question.

Anyhow, you do feel that it’s safer on a bicycle to present a more obvious impediment to traffic.

I need more information to answer your question. I know why you are unwilling to provide it.
Drive your car on the wrong side of the road and double yellow... let a cop see you, his citation will explain it to you.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
Drive your car on the wrong side of the road and double yellow... let a cop see you, his citation will explain it to you.

Kent

This is a narrative change. This appears to once again focus on legality. I never introduced legality into the discussion.

I have contended that simply being in the left lane with no evidence of auto traffic isn't boneheaded or stupid. You have yet to identify how it is. To your credit you are among many that can't.
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

This is a narrative change. This appears to once again focus on legality. I never introduced legality into the discussion.

I have contended that simply being in the left lane with no evidence of auto traffic isn't boneheaded or stupid. You have yet to identify how it is. To your credit you are among many that can't.

It's illegal.

Kent
This is exactly the problem.

It's like a incurable disease, it's imbedded, probably from childhood.

Just like my original post here, these parents were fools!

How many times have we all seen the scenario played out.

[Linked Image from cdn.w600.comps.canstockphoto.com]

Mom, Dad and Junior on bikes in the road.
Mom's on the inside, Dad on the outside flanking Junior in the middle as he zigzags down the road attempting to control a bike.

Does Mom and Dad actually think they are protecting their child?
Is Dad such a badazzed bicycle stud that he thinks cars and trucks will magically deflect off him and not harm his kid?

It's just SO WRONG in so many ways.

They should both be charged with obstructing traffic and child endangerment.

They are inadvertently training their kid to ride in the road with no concerns of traffic because they will always yield way to you.

It's just like your mentality Paul, what are you thinking?

If you ride out in the road people will brake and slow down, disrupting traffic flow because Paul's chose to ride his bike in the road?

I hate to brake it to you this late in life but the world doesn't revolve around you Paul!

Do you ever stop and think that every driver on the road might not be up to par with their driving skills?

There's old drivers who's driving skills may be digressing, their aim, judgements and vision might not be what it once was.

There's young drivers on the road just developing driving skills that may not yet be so grand.

Then there's the impaired drivers..

This is what makes your mindset so fu_cking stupid!

To start with the roads were built for automobile use, riding a bike on a road is a alternative use for the design of 99% of the roads in this country.

When I'm driving down the road and I see a bike traveling in the same direction as I, in my my lane, consistently hugging the fog line, I see them as a rider that has their act together and is very aware there are also cars on the road.

That rider presents little problem, I can suck it over to the center line and pass him by leaving ample room for both he and I.

When I see a bike out in my lane, blocking the road, swerveing around I see an idiot.
Totally unpredictable, could be a kid, could be impaired, could be anything.
Bring the driving to a crawl, disrupt traffic, there's a fool on the loose.

Just because you decide to entertain yourself with a activity that requires alternative use of a roadway don't mean the world must come to a grinding halt for your lame azz.

This is why we spend millions of dollars developing BIKE TRAILS!

They're meant to get idiots on bikes off the road, you should seriously consider limiting your bicycle entertainment time to trails designated for bicycle use, your mentality does not mesh with the reality one must understand for sharing a roadway.

I am well aware you often enjoy playing the devils advocate role in these threads, but I think you honestly believe what your posting here.
Whos that stud with stxhunters gf?

Just like my original post here, these parents were fools!

How many times have we all seen the scenario played out.

[Linked Image from cdn.w600.comps.canstockphoto.com]

Mom, Dad and Junior on bikes in the road.
Mom's on the inside, Dad on the outside flanking Junior in the middle as he zigzags down the road attempting to control a bike.

Does Mom and Dad actually think they are protecting their child?
Is Dad such a badazzed bicycle stud that he thinks cars and trucks will magically deflect off him and not harm his kid?

It's just SO WRONG in so many ways.

They should both be charged with obstructing traffic and child endangerment.

They are inadvertently training their kid to ride in the road with no concerns of traffic because they will always yield way to you.

It's just like your mentality Paul, what are you thinking?

If you ride out in the road people will brake and slow down, disrupting traffic flow because Paul's chose to ride his bike in the road?

I hate to brake it to you this late in life but the world doesn't revolve around you Paul!

Do you ever stop and think that every driver on the road might not be up to par with their driving skills?

There's old drivers who's driving skills may be digressing, their aim, judgements and vision might not be what it once was.

There's young drivers on the road just developing driving skills that may not yet be so grand.

Then there's the impaired drivers..

This is what makes your mindset so fu_cking stupid!

To start with the roads were built for automobile use, riding a bike on a road is a alternative use for the design of 99% of the roads in this country.

When I'm driving down the road and I see a bike traveling in the same direction as I, in my my lane, consistently hugging the fog line, I see them as a rider that has their act together and is very aware there are also cars on the road.

That rider presents little problem, I can suck it over to the center line and pass him by leaving ample room for both he and I.

When I see a bike out in my lane, blocking the road, swerveing around I see an idiot.

Just because you decide to entertain yourself with a activity that requires alternative use of a roadway don't mean the world must come to a grinding halt for your lame azz.

This is why we spend millions of dollars developing BIKE TRAILS!

They're meant to get idiots on bikes off the road, you should seriously consider limiting your bicycle entertainment time to trails designated for bicycle use, your mentality does not mesh with the reality one must understand for sharing a roadway.

I am well aware you often enjoy playing the devils advocate role in these threads, but I think you honestly believe what your posting here.

This may be just the post that cleared my mental block. You are saying that it is reckless and unsafe to be on the road with vehicles that vastly outweigh them, and don't provide adequate protection in a collision?

Tend to the hyperbolic much?

Go back. Read my post where I provided a pic of the girl in pink shorts. Enjoy the satire. Help Birdwatcher understand it.
That's like Paul moving to the side.

Ever have them look at you trying to patiently wait a few seconds,
then just go back to looking. When they could easily have given you
room?

Yep. That's when I break out the air horn.

Tend to the hyperbolic much?

Go back. Read my post where I provided a pic of the girl in pink shorts. Enjoy the satire. Help Birdwatcher understand it.

No Paul, it's this...

For example when I ride, I ride pretty much center lane. It makes me more visible to others, it makes drivers less likely to do a brush pass, and it makes them more likely to treat me like traffic. Once I am confident a vehicle coming up from behind sees me, I ease over an they go around without delay. If I ride with another person or a group, I'll ride side by side.
"After clearing the rockslide, and ensuring that the avalanche had stabilized, park staff began to clear a path through the avalanche to gain access to the stranded cyclists. The 13 cyclists were trapped on the other side of the slide for about eight hours. Park officials said they were cold, but otherwise in good spirits. Park officials said the men passed the time playing "hide the salami" to the dismay of rescuers arriving on the scene.

I can't believe none of you assh*les thought this was funny.
the world must come to a grinding halt for your lame azz.

For example when I ride, I ride pretty much center lane. It makes me more visible to others, it makes drivers less likely to do a brush pass, and it makes them more likely to treat me like traffic. Once I am confident a vehicle coming up from behind sees me, I ease over an they go around without delay. If I ride with another person or a group, I'll ride side by side.

Color me confused. I have no idea how my behavior as described in my post translates to the world coming to a grinding halt for my ass.

Color me confused. I have no idea how my behavior as described in my post translates to the world coming to a grinding halt for my ass.

The world would never come to a grinding halt for your ass.

Now, that woman in the pink shorts, maybe.

The world would never come to a grinding halt for your ass.

Now, that woman in the pink shorts, maybe.

lolololol. That particular park is interesting to ride through. The scenery is good and it makes for a fascinating study in human inattention.
The best scenery I have seen is the trail around Town Lake in Austin, not far from UT.

They should charge guys a cover just to get on it.
The best scenery I have seen is the trail around Town Lake in Austin, not far from UT.

They should charge guys a cover just to get on it.

I can imagine. This trail is within walking distance of Tulane and Loyola.

Now we're back to the root of the problem.

You don't get it...

It was plainly described in my post...

It's why you are a drivers hazard and Birdie is not.

Now we're back to the root of the problem.

You don't get it...

It was plainly described in my post...

It's why you are a drivers hazard and Birdie is not.

Riiiiight!
Once you realize Paul lacks common sense you understand.
The helmets kill me.

LOL
All we hear about is car/bicycle accident and just assume it's always the car's fault, but I bet that's far from accurate. Any stats on which get ticketed in an accident?

Kent
This truck needed a plow ...with side wings...
Originally Posted by krp
All we hear about is car/bicycle accident and just assume it's always the car's fault, but I bet that's far from accurate. Any stats on which get ticketed in an accident?

Kent

They get them.... but it's racis......
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

The statistics are skewed. On account of, very few cyclists survive to be ticketed.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

I think he just likes fuggin’ with you guys.

No way he’s really that dense.
Have you ever seen a photo of him?

He makes Florida Man look like Thomas Jefferson.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Wellllll he does ride with the seat off his bike so........

LOL

j/k Paul
You tube shorts got some pretty good clips of bicyclists out in traffic getting fuuuked up where they don't belong.
Originally Posted by Rooster7

LOL

j/k Paul

🤣🤣🤣
Originally Posted by Muffin
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

They get them.... but it's racis......

80% of bicycle moving violations to Black folk does sound odd. ‘Dafugg? Theyre ticketing people for having friends riding on the handlebar?

Ticketing people for no lights? Where I live when I’m riding home after dark about half of it I don’t WANT to be seen.

Only been stopped once and that was maybe six or seven years back. Plain clothes Cop, Black guy, cool Cop car IIRC badge on cord around his neck like in the movies. I think he stopped me to see who I was. Told me I was invisible out there. I explained that was the point, that being the sort of place where they needed guys like him at night.
Originally Posted by renegade50

LOL

j/k Paul

🤣🤣🤣

grin
If Paul ever die in a bicycle accident it's going to be the greatest funeral ever.

I will Gofundme the schit out of it.

LOL
Oh that's rich, lol
You been paying attention....
If Paul ever die in a bicycle accident it's going to be the greatest funeral ever.

LOL

What color spandex will you wear?

LOL

j/k Paul

I much prefer not having a seat. That's why I cut a hole through the butt of my spandex.

LOL

If? You mean "when." Daredevil that I am, engaged in a frighteningly dangerous activity, I don't know how I have survived this long. I'd love to be around to enjoy the reverence in my memorial thread.
Just so everyone's aware, the family in these two pics....

They are the Kuchenbrod's, they were in the park for Bicycle Day, the road was closed to cars
[Linked Image from adventurecycling.org]
And our next stop was Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier National Park. Each spring, before the road crews completely clear snow from the highest sections of the road, cyclists from all around journey to this stunning national park for car-free weekend rides on this jaw-dropping road. Monday through Friday the road crews work hard, but on the weekends cyclists come to play.

Story At Adventure Biking In Montana
Just so everyone's aware, the family in these two pics....

They are the Kuchenbrod's, they were in the park for Bicycle Day, the road was closed to cars
[Linked Image from adventurecycling.org]
And our next stop was Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier National Park. Each spring, before the road crews completely clear snow from the highest sections of the road, cyclists from all around journey to this stunning national park for car-free weekend rides on this jaw-dropping road. Monday through Friday the road crews work hard, but on the weekends cyclists come to play.

Story At Adventure Biking In Montana

I feel like such a dumbass now. LOLOLOLOL
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

The statistics are skewed. On account of, very few cyclists survive to be ticketed.

Earlier before I got the grandkids I searched for the answer for 15 minutes, nothing on the percentage stat, but many more injuries than deaths.

Anyway I skimmed over AZ, CA, IL and FL bike laws, one of them stated, I think IL, the farther out in the lane the cyclist is in an accident the more the responsibility is shared legally... found that interesting considering Paul's advice to ride well out in the lane.

Kent
Right click/search for image/ takes ya right to the story.

I thought you had it and were just baiting in those thar would argue the point so you could bitch slap them with the facts.
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Earlier before I got the grandkids I searched for the answer for 15 minutes, nothing on the percentage stat, but many more injuries than deaths.

Anyway I skimmed over AZ, CA, IL and FL bike laws, one of them stated, I think IL, the farther out in the lane the cyclist is in an accident the more the responsibility is shared legally... found that interesting considering Paul's advice to ride well out in the lane.

Kent

You should have read what I actually wrote rather than what you wanted my words to say. I am out in the lane until a car approaches, then I move over once I am reasonably sure I have been seen.

What you are saying about a cyclist's responsibility in IL doesn't quite add up. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that there was a reading comprehension issue there as well.
We just returned from Glacier, Bikers were a no-issue,

And any dude that can pedal uphill for 8 to 16 miles at 6% grade,

Free pass from me.
You should have read what I actually wrote rather than what you wanted my words to say. I am out in the lane until a car approaches, then I move over once I am reasonably sure I have been seen.

And you still don't understand how that move, right there that you plainly describe might more appear to just be a clueless bike rider swerving around in the road ahead.
So many on the pro bicycle side talk about how much money they've got sunk in this little pedal toy. So you can obviously afford to load that thing up and take it to biking roads and trails and stay the f*** off the [bleep] highway

And you still don't understand how that move, right there that you plainly describe might more appear to just be a clueless bike rider swerving around in the road ahead.

A move over as a vehicle approaches from the rear=swerving around? LOLOLOL.
Originally Posted by ldholton
So many on the pro bicycle side talk about how much money they've got sunk in this little pedal toy. So you can obviously afford to load that thing up and take it to biking roads and trails and stay the f*** off the [bleep] highway

That won't be me. My nice titanium bikes will be where I have a legal right to be.

You guys gonna fugk or what?

I’d feel like a dumbass if I made this comment, as if cyclists don’t often do that in times and places where it AIN’T Bicycle Day.

That won't be me. My nice titanium bikes will be where I have a legal right to be.
You just love to prove what a scrawny little prick you are. I'd love to meet you face to face and just see how tough you think you are f****** a******
Just because you could doesn't mean you should
Originally Posted by Kenneth
We just returned from Glacier, Bikers were a no-issue,

And any dude that can pedal uphill for 8 to 16 miles at 6% grade,

It gets worse, fergit titanium, a touring bike loaded with gear and water can tip the scales at around 70lbs.
Did that video with the big diesel truck and all the bike racers on a hill get posted yet ...that's the entertaining thing ever.

I’d feel like a dumbass if I made this comment, as if cyclists don’t often do that in times and places where it AIN’T Bicycle Day.

But Paul, they were a hazard to motorists, and I'm not imagining this.

You just love to prove what a scrawny little prick you are. I'd love to meet you face to face and just see how tough you think you are f****** a******
Just because you could doesn't mean you should
Oh boy, I love the way this is going. We can't be far from an offer to fly down here and settle things.
Originally Posted by krp
Anyway I skimmed over AZ, CA, IL and FL bike laws, one of them stated, I think IL, the farther out in the lane the cyclist is in an accident the more the responsibility is shared legally... Kent

Being a guy on a bicycle in the road I find questions of legal responsibility to be sort of irrelevant considering the aftermath.

Had a close call just this week. I got careless and rode a four lane road I have often ridden at night but it was rush hour afternoon. It was the shortest route, I got impatient.

Fugger in a old-style van, well over the limit, decides to pass an SUV on the inside lane, I don’t believe he saw me.

I was far fight side over by the curb, the guy’s passenger-side mirror passed just inches away from my left shoulder.

Paul’s philosophy of “claiming the lane”, ie making yerself a more conspicuous road hazard, is a widely-preached one, and prob’ly works in many instances. I do think in this case it woulda got me flattened.

That method presumes the driver will see you, I generally assume they won’t.

The last close call of that magnitude was three years and a coupla thousand miles ago; a semi truck in the rain in Montana.

But Paul, they were a hazard to motorists, and I'm not imagining this.

There’s another comment I’d be embarrassed to make, but that’s me.
I don't see most things on the road cuz im always fugkin with my phone

The picture was a representation to comment on a situation that we have all seen and in that vain, it could have been drawn in crayon. Before they widened the winding road along the Salt river with super wide shoulders I have seen herds of bikers across double yellows and into both lanes.

Kent
Helmeted pogo stickers, two wide and four deep on a two lane highway.
Just go around 'em....

Problem is, pogo stickers aren't that stupid.

The bicycle folks just need to get the Feds involved and elevate this level of brilliance to the interstate system. That would be amazing....
The bicycle folks just need to get the Feds involved and elevate this level of brilliance to the interstate system. That would be amazing....

Riding a bicycle on the shoulder of an Interstate is legal in some Western States. In Montana 2019 I rode Interstate 15 from Great Falls to a town called Boulder MT and parts of two other Interstates from Billings to the Little Bighorn.

Taken as a whole, Montana backroads have so little shoulder and their interstates are lightly travelled enough that the shoulder of an interstate was about the safest place to ride.

It was on the shoulder of I15 that I almost got taken out by a semi though. I had stopped to take a photo right after a rainstorm, closer to the white line than I could have been. There was no traffic. Then a tractor trailer going downhill blitzed by so close I got pulled by the slipstream.

Dunno if it was on purpose or not, ride a highway with rumble strips and it becomes apparent quite a few people are making closer passes than they need to.
Originally Posted by krp

The picture was a representation to comment on a situation that we have all seen and in that vain, it could have been drawn in crayon. Before they widened the winding road along the Salt river with super wide shoulders I have seen herds of bikers across double yellows and into both lanes.

Kent

Exactly, Paul just likes to play the naive role when it's beneficial.
I am out in the lane until a car approaches, then I move over once I am reasonably sure I have been seen.

Absolutely, and you're well aware of why you do that.
It's control issues you suffer Paul.
Same reason you desired to purchased a retirement property in a HOA controlled neighborhood.

Paul must be in full control in all situations, the world revolves around Paul.

If you ride out in the road people will brake and slow down, disrupting traffic flow because Paul's chose to ride his bike in the road.

Originally Posted by atvalaska
Did that video with the big diesel truck and all the bike racers on a hill get posted yet ...that's the entertaining thing ever.

There was a pack of these fugking idiots at a major intersection yesterday at 6:15am.

What level of fugking moron would want to bicycle during rush hour is beyond comprehension. All twig shaped dudes and ugly ass women. And all wearing a fugking helmet. LOL
There was a pack of these fugking idiots at a major intersection yesterday at 6:15am.

What level of fugking moron would want to bicycle during rush hour is beyond comprehension. All twig shaped dudes and ugly ass women. And all wearing a fugking helmet. LOL
that's when you need one of those whip CB antennas.
I think the helmet thing is all about having a little something that resembles brain matter above their shoulders.
the difference to me is ...the bird is a humble guy....paul is an arrogant look at me type.......bob
Originally Posted by BobMt
the difference to me is ...the bird is a humble guy....paul is an arrogant look at me type.......bob

you do have a sense of humor and poke fun of yourself.....was this pic last week when you couldnt get your way....bob

you do have a sense of humor and poke fun of yourself.....was this pic last week when you couldnt get your way....bob

You know Bob, you are right. I am arrogant. But I am also empathetic. When I think about all the bicyclists issues my friends in cousinfugk Montana have to suffer, it makes my heart hurt.
What about sisterfugk Texas?

You know Bob, you are right. I am arrogant. But I am also empathetic. When I think about all the bicyclists issues my friends in cousinfugk Montana have to suffer, it makes my heart hurt.

That'd be more believable if you showed a little empathy for people that drive cars on the road.
cousinfugging...thats texas.....none of that kinda stuff goes on in montana....I think.....bob
cousinfugging...thats texas.....none of that kinda stuff goes on in montana....I think.....bob

Naaa-ah.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

I am sure they have it bad too.

This thread has been hilarious. A thread about a drunk plowing into a family quickly, predictably, devolves into bicycle bashing. Of course I'll show up to do my part. The thread drifts and photos of bicyclists on the road are served up as proof of how stupid they are and how they are breaking the law. When pressed to describe exactly who the pictured cyclists were affecting, nobody could. No surprise there. My contention is, and the reality is, that bicyclists on the road are the least of any drivers issues and that most of the issues exist in the imagination.

Well, we come to find out that the road the cyclists were on was closed to motor vehicle traffic that day. LOLOLOL. The motorists that were imagined to be impacted weren't even allowed on the road that day. Then those perpetually aggrieved anti-cyclists moved the target to "well, they weren't affecting anyone, but it was a perfect example of the horrors we face behind the wheel every day." LOLOL. I don't need anyone to say "yeah, Paul, you were right" (I know I am) but the manly thing to do is say, "you got us this time Paul." But nope, then it all becomes about "Paul is mean" "Paul is arrogant" "Birdwatcher cucks up to us antis, and Paul won't."

Along the way, I dangled some bait that got hit impressively hard.

Then there is always this value in these discussions. In a forum full of the manliest, toughest, freedom loving people on earth, we learn that they want to suppress a cyclist's legal right to be on the road, and they think we should be scared [bleep] to ride on the road. I kinda get the latter. They do drive after all.
paul is arrogant...the bird is not....who hit the bait on that one?...lol.....bob

That'd be more believable if you showed a little empathy for people that drive cars on the road.

Did you forget already? I have repeatedly said I am empathetic and cooperative enough to move over. But that becomes "clueless bike rider swerving around" to those that need to be aggrieved. That's you, by the way.
Montana Empathy, I'll Just Eat One
paul is arrogant...the bird is not....who hit the bait on that one?...lol.....bob

I prefer the word cocksure, but I won't argue.

This. And the fact that he's Adonis-like just pisses people off even more.

You know Adonis? LaQueesha's boy?
I have repeatedly said I am empathetic and cooperative enough to move over. But that becomes "clueless bike rider swerving around" to those that need to be aggrieved. That's you, by the way.

It has nothing to do with being aggrieved.
It's simply making a fair assessment of possible road hazards ahead.

Bike swerving in and out of lane vs bike consistently riding fog line.

Pretty simple.

One's a hazard, the other not.

I missed that comment about just fugking with people here. I am stone cold serious with a little of what I type.

My next sockpuppet is going to be named Adonisthecocksure.
I have repeatedly said I am empathetic and cooperative enough to move over. But that becomes "clueless bike rider swerving around" to those that need to be aggrieved. That's you, by the way.

Pretty simple.

There's no swerving involved. There's a purposeful gravitation to the right, accompanied by a look over the shoulder, and sometimes a wave around. Hell, when I am driving a 2 lane road and someone comes up behind me, I'll move as far right as I can. That allows the motorist to see around me and if they are thinking, it lets them know that I know they are there and working with them. I get your point about motorists not generally being smart enough to pick up on cues.

This thread has been hilarious. A thread about a drunk plowing into a family quickly, predictably, devolves into bicycle bashing. Of course I'll show up to do my part. The thread drifts and photos of bicyclists on the road are served up as proof of how stupid they are and how they are breaking the law. When pressed to describe exactly who the pictured cyclists were affecting, nobody could. No surprise there. My contention is, and the reality is, that bicyclists on the road are the least of any drivers issues and that most of the issues exist in the imagination.

Well, we come to find out that the road the cyclists were on was closed to motor vehicle traffic that day. LOLOLOL. The motorists that were imagined to be impacted weren't even allowed on the road that day. Then those perpetually aggrieved anti-cyclists moved the target to "well, they weren't affecting anyone, but it was a perfect example of the horrors we face behind the wheel every day." LOLOL. I don't need anyone to say "yeah, Paul, you were right" (I know I am) but the manly thing to do is say, "you got us this time Paul." But nope, then it all becomes about "Paul is mean" "Paul is arrogant" "Birdwatcher cucks up to us antis, and Paul won't."

Then there is always this value in these discussions. In a forum full of the manliest, toughest, freedom loving people on earth, we learn that they want to suppress a cyclist's legal right to be on the road, and they think we should be scared [bleep] to ride on the road. I kinda get the latter. They do drive after all.
Mike has common sense.

Mike has common sense.

Have you ridden bicycles on the road or studied bicycle safety? If not, you are too ignorant to make that comment. That would be like you jumping into a knitting thread and pronouncing on knitter more common-sensical than another. I hope I am right about you not being a knitting expert.

I missed that comment about just fugking with people here. I am stone cold serious with a little of what I type.

Yeah, I know. I'm not sure what it is between bikers and non-bikers. Kind of a territoriality thing I think. There are a lot of bike lanes here on the shoulder of two-lane roads in neighborhoods with 30 mph speed limits. When I pass a bike in the lane I'll always move into the middle and give them a wide berth if there's no traffic coming the other way because the last thing I want to do is hit one of them. Takes no effort on my part and is just a courteous thing to do. Same thing when someone is walking on the shoulder.

When I'm riding my bike I notice a lot of people won't do that. They hug the white line as if to say "that's my territory and I'm not giving an inch." Like the biker threatens their sovereignty of the road or some such.
Paul is mean.

Pretty simple.

There's no swerving involved. There's a purposeful gravitation to the right, accompanied by a look over the shoulder, and sometimes a wave around. Hell, when I am driving a 2 lane road and someone comes up behind me, I'll move as far right as I can. That allows the motorist to see around me and if they are thinking, it lets them know that I know they are there and working with them. I get your point about motorists not generally being smart enough to pick up on cues.

So you're saying a kid on a bike or a older person on a bike or a impaired person on a bike that can't maintain consistent lane position or direction of travel looks completely different than Paul on a bike.
So you're saying a kid on a bike or a older person on a bike or a impaired person on a bike that can't maintain consistent lane position or direction of travel looks completely different than Paul on a bike.

I sure would hope so.

I sure would hope so.
I do too. I think I could tell the difference pretty quick. Just like I can tell that 95% of the riders around here don’t have the courtesy or shared space mentality that Paul seems to project.

Pretty simple.

I typed what I typed. If you were to bother with doing any research/studying, you'd find that the overwhelming majority of the information out there supports my position. This is a simple read that describes common situations where cyclists are hit by cars. "Ride further left" or "don't hug the curb" is spelled out as the mitigating measure in most. https://bicyclesafe.com/
No where on earth is there a defined optional 'lane B' for Bicycle riding other than on Michael Bluejays all about bicycling page.

It's easy to detect a bicycle douche online, they all have that 'fan mail' link at the top of their page.
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

I sure would hope so.
I do too. I think I could tell the difference pretty quick. Just like I can tell that 95% of the riders around here don’t have the courtesy or shared space mentality that Paul seems to project.

On the road, I absolutely take a cooperative approach with motorists. I do when I drive and I do when I am on bicycle paths as well.

This is the kind of road I love to ride when I can. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I ride in the middle of the lane to make myself more visible to vehicles that come up from behind. As they approach, I regularly glance over my shoulder. This should communicate to them that I am aware of their presence. What normally happens is while they are well back, they start moving left. I gravitate right. We have a mutually respectful, safe encounter where the whole of the burden on either of us is easing over.

It was on this road that a tractor trailer rig was coming from each direction. They were going to arrive at my location at about the same time. I pulled over, picked my bike up and moved it about 4 feet off of the road. For most of this 60+ mile ride, no driver had to do anything more than ease over for me. At one point the road started winding. I was approaching a bend in the road. I had a car coming from behind. I could hear a car coming from around the bend. I didn't have a place to get off the road. I held up my hand as if to say "wait." the car behind me waited until we cleared the bend, then passed. They probably lost 10 seconds. Most drivers are okay with me doing the best I can in that situation. A select few will be enraged.

On the other hand, there were a couple of instances where motor vehicles had a number of vehicles stacked up behind them. When those packs got to me, I got out of the way. That was a courtesy that the driver at the front of the pack wouldn't extend to those behind them, despite the fact that there were many places along the way to pull over.
^^^^^^^^^^^^ "Not Rocket Surgery."
^^^^^^^^^^^^ "Not Rocket Surgery."

But definitely arrogance and lack of common sense.
Just quit swerving all over the place.

And look at the bright side---that molehill you're gonna climb in the photo just got transformed into a mountain. On account of the huge inconvenience to the driver who had to move over to the left as he passed.
When you drive down the road do you stay in the middle of the road until 'you think' oncoming traffic has seen you and then move back into your proper lane?
When you drive down the road do you stay in the middle of the road until 'you think' oncoming traffic has seen you and then move back into your proper lane?

Let's try this again tomorrow morning, before the Bloody Marys.
Exactly what does this sign mean to you?

[Linked Image from sefiles.net]

I'm just finishing up a 8 mile walk with my dog, he's gets a 5 hour workout every morning.

Must admit, I've been a bit distracted a time or two when cars passed by us during our walk.

Thank gawd my dog understands his position along a roadway and remains safe without my guidance.

I'm just finishing up a 8 mile walk with my dog, he's gets a 5 hour workout every morning.

Must admit, I've been a bit distracted a time or two when cars passed by us during our walk.

Thank gawd my dog understands his position along a roadway and remains safe without my guidance.
Got any pics of your dog in spandex?
laugh

Mike has common sense.

Have you ridden bicycles on the road or studied bicycle safety? If not, you are too ignorant to make that comment. That would be like you jumping into a knitting thread and pronouncing on knitter more common-sensical than another. I hope I am right about you not being a knitting expert.
lmao, I grew up riding bikes, I could take your bike and pull it up into a wheelie and ride it as long as I wanted to. s
Saw my friend get killed when we were 6yrs old because he got off the shoulder on the freeway going to the park and get hit by a car doing 75. You lack common sense.

Paul,

While I know the driver was in the wrong, I'm still glad some bicyclists got hit by a car.

Apologies for not being more clear.

Dave

Paul,

While I know the driver was in the wrong, I'm still glad some bicyclists got hit by a car.

Apologies for not being more clear.

Dave

lolololololol

Mike has common sense.

lmao, I grew up riding bikes, I could take your bike and pull it up into a wheelie and ride it as long as I wanted to. s
Saw my friend get killed when we were 6yrs old because he got off the shoulder on the freeway going to the park and get hit by a car doing 75. You lack common sense.

Let's try a different approach. Go back and read the post that I made with the pic of the remote roadway. In that post I describe how I ride. Specifically what is unsafe, how is it unsafe and what, other than not being on the road to begin with, should I do differently?

I predict that you'll balk at an honest answer.

I suck at wheelies. I am not sure what that has to do with risk mitigation in bicycling.

You walk your dog on the road?

You walk your dog on the road?

They swerve back and forth across the road.

Damn Rog.

Ain't heard a wheelie-brag since the 5th grade. You never disappoint.

LOL

Damn Rog.

LOL

lololololol
smallretard threads always go the same way.

Can't nobody get him ta agree he's an @sshole.

And he'll never get anyone else ta agree he's not.

Mike has common sense.

Let's try a different approach. Go back and read the post that I made with the pic of the remote roadway. In that post I describe how I ride. Specifically what is unsafe, how is it unsafe and what, other than not being on the road to begin with, should I do differently?

I suck at wheelies. I am not sure what that has to do with risk mitigation in bicycling.
You shouldn't be in the middle of the lane, someday you're not going to see the car coming up behind you and they're not going to see you.

Damn Rog.

LOL
well, it's true.

Damn Rog.

LOL
well, it's true.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Your walk your dog on the road?

They swerve back and forth across the road.

The fogline is his limit, typically along the shoulder in the grass.
I taught him street smarts when he was just a few months old.

There are many large groups of motorcycle riders that travel the road I live off of, they can be very loud.
You can't see the road from the house but you can hear the bikes and the dog was more than curious of it.

I started walking him out the driveway to the road and we'd sit down and watch the bikes go by. I scolded him of getting near the pavement, we'd sit 20ft back from the road.

When I started walking him down the side of the road on a leash, every time a car or motorbike would come he'd automatically sit down and watch them go by then continue walking.

So that's been his default method of interacting with vehicle's along a roadway ever since.

He's a 'no leash required' dog now. He responds instantly to all voice commands and some sign language I've been training him on.

NO, he doesn't wear spandex, but he wears one of these before sun up and after dark.

[Linked Image from rockhoundoutfitters.com]
[Linked Image from 4.bp.blogspot.com]

Mike has common sense.

You shouldn't be in the middle of the lane, someday you're not going to see the car coming up behind you and they're not going to see you.

It'll probably be a Tesla but we can hope for a Prius, they are both silent.
But that same driver who isn't paying attention won't hit me with the front right of their car if I am in the right hand part of the lane? Stick to wheelies!
How many more threads with 12 pages of ambient temperature equine flogging???

That's like the chicken or egg question. What came first? The entitled pedo cyclist or the raging motorist?
Originally Posted by ltppowell

That's like the chicken or egg question. What came first? The entitled pedo cyclist or the raging motorist?

As a pedo, I always come first.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

I think I can answer that question............ , they outdate motorists by near 40 years....

Sorry! I was wrong, it was no where near 40 years..... about half that!

https://gothamist.com/news/nycs-first-car-accident-in-1896-involved-a-bicycle

From the article:

"Five reckless riders" on Broadway, two of whom were riding on a tandem bike, were also arrested (arrested!) for "riding faster than the law permits." The report notes that they were "warned by Patrolman Gilles of the bicycle corps, but they paid no attention." Two more cyclists were nabbed for speeding downtown, one at 14th Street and Second Avenue. Magistrate Crane, in addition to fining the men $3, "gave the scorchers a severe lecture."

"Some of you people think that no one has a right in the street but yourselves. I know I have had to run for my life to get out of the way of reckless bicycle riders."

Presumably Magistrate Crane added, "Damn hipsters."

I guess some things really never change smile
You know, I thought a bit about this thread on my ride this morning. I have been remarkably stubborn. I have seen the light. When a dumb drunk gives someone who dares to defy the laws of gross tonnage their due comeuppance, it just serves them right.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...0-years-colorado-wreck-killed-4-rcna8661

Some things never change.

A guy comes on here, stirs the pot a little, then explains exactly how he rides. Safely for him, showing courtesy to motorists, then stirs the pot more.

The nitwits get their panties so bunched they KNOW how it plays, and
take off.

It's never not amusing.

They are so wound up trying to be right and fight, they miss the whole
part where Paul describes decent behavior that most would agree with.
And he describes it in detail, every-damn-thread.

Like watching Groundhog Day.
But not as boring.
You know, I thought a bit about this thread on my ride this morning. I have been remarkably stubborn. I have seen the light. When a dumb drunk gives someone who dares to defy the laws of gross tonnage their due comeuppance, it just serves them right.

That guy wasn't drunk, just incompetent and a coward. He passed two runaway truck ramps on his way down.

That guy wasn't drunk, just incompetent and a coward. He passed two runaway truck ramps on his way down.

Well that, and the deceased got what they deserve for daring to defy the laws of gross tonnage.

Well that, and the deceased got what they deserve for daring to defy the laws of gross tonnage.
without the spandex factor figured into the equation it’s apples to oranges. Just sain
3100 calories burned during my 50 miles of what our resident Richard Flave' Simmons calls non-exercise. Only about 7 miles of it was on public roads. I prefer to ride my very expensive, made in the USA, titanium toy on the highway, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

On my ride I was reminded of yet another hazard of hugging the right. I was passing a rider who was hugging the right. With minimum speed disparity as usual. He was wearing headphones. I got a little closer than normal before announcing "I am easing around your left." It startled him. He veered slightly and his front wheel dropped off the asphalt. Another 2 feet to the right and he was going down the levee embankment. He tried to get back up on the asphalt, but his front wheel was washing out on the edge. He saved it, but there were a couple times he almost ate it.

Hugging the right removes a safety margin.
On my ride I was reminded of yet another hazard of hugging the right. I was passing a rider who was hugging the right. With minimum speed disparity as usual. He was wearing headphones. I got a little closer than normal before announcing "I am easing around your left." It startled him. He veered slightly and his front wheel dropped off the asphalt. Another 2 feet to the right and he was going down the levee embankment. He tried to get back up on the asphalt, but his front wheel was washing out on the edge. He saved it, but there were a couple times he almost ate it.

traveling home from the north rim Friday.......

must'a been a bike fest.....

Jacob's Lake south to the rim ?? Long ride

Friday.....?

All the fuggin' tourons heaeded to the park ?

Skinny two lane road......NO shoulders

What could go wrong ?

Thought of you Paul

Glad to be home in Podunk away from all the tourons in N AZ

edit......forgot the pic

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Friday.....?

What could go wrong ?

Thought of you Paul

edit......forgot the pic

You post the best pics brother!
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Friday.....?

What could go wrong ?

Thought of you Paul

edit......forgot the pic

You post the best pics brother!

thx......

live close to it all......

southern Utah.......Northern AZ

Next trip planned....................................

I so wanted to bump draft this dipshit into a saguaro. Couldn't pass and he wouldn't move...

I'd say from the lane position it must be Paul out trying to prove his thoughtless, inconsiderate point.
I'd say from the lane position it must be Paul out trying to prove his thoughtless point.

He went from that position to middle of my lane in various positions. He know I was there and all he did was pedal faster which was still slow....
You could have done what Paul does when he runs into another biker like that

Originally Posted by Paul
I got a little closer than normal before announcing "I am easing around your left.

He feels like that's OK, and didn't seem to think he was responsible for the results.

Originally Posted by Paul
It startled him. He veered slightly and his front wheel dropped off the asphalt. Another 2 feet to the right and he was going down the levee embankment. He tried to get back up on the asphalt, but his front wheel was washing out on the edge. He saved it, but there were a couple times he almost ate it.
Originally Posted by GregW
I so wanted to bump draft this dipshit into a saguaro. Couldn't pass and he wouldn't move...

How long were you behind him? I could have and would have immediately made room for you.

How long were you behind him? I could have and would have immediately made room for you.

I bet 5-8 minutes...

Too many cars and lots of blind curves...

I bet 5-8 minutes...

Too many cars and lots of blind curves...

Sorry bud. Not my style at all. Inconsiderate jerks make it more difficult for those of us who happily cooperate with other road users.
[Linked Image from i.gifer.com]

LMAO !!! 😂😂🤪 That’s some funny schitt!
I'd say from the lane position it must be Paul out trying to prove his thoughtless point.

He went from that position to middle of my lane in various positions. He know I was there and all he did was pedal faster which was still slow....

He saw the crack in your windshield and decided to be a Karen and keep you slow for your own safety lol
I guess he didn't realize that crack was from the last cyclist who slowed Greg down.......
Sorry bud. Not my style at all. Inconsiderate jerks make it more difficult for those of us who happily cooperate with other road users.

Bullschit.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

He saw the crack in your windshield and decided to be a Karen and keep you slow for your own safety lol

Good eyes. My work truck windshield gets cracked about three times every year. Instead of replacing it I just wait until it gets worse than what you see.

I would have passed him right after that car......bob
smile I like that road!

Bullschit.

Come ride with me. I'll buy you a plane ticket to NOLA. Not only will you get to show me that bicycling isn't exercise, you'll get to show me what a dick I am in traffic.

Bullschit.

Come ride with me. I'll buy you a plane ticket to NOLA. Not only will you get to show me that bicycling isn't exercise, you'll get to show me what a dick I am in traffic.

So enticing.

LOL

It's the thought that counts

So enticing.

LOL

It's a trick, he's just dieing to get you into a dark corner booth in that seedy New Orleans Viking restaurant he alway talking about.

It'll be one of these two places.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Get him to through in a rental car, a hotel room and a hand job and go for it, you only live once!

Bullschit.

Can I be the traffic?

I'll pay my own way.
Originally Posted by Fubarski

Bullschit.

Can I be the traffic?

I'll pay my own way.

Yes, I'll be in front of Flave, so you'll have to be careful, unless you want a twofer.
Enjoyed a nice ride with my brother this weekend.

Rode through the lightly traveled backroads of the Sequatchie Valley.

Stumbled upon a pretty cool sight at a festival in Pikeville.

Guess what miraculously disappeared after the news told everyone there was a chance of rain?

LOL
Rode the Cherohala Skyway today. Wore my "be seen" colors. The leaves are just starting to change colors. Got passed by 2 cars. Wonder if one of the drivers is starting a thread on a knitting forum about how much trouble I caused.

If Meghan McCain had a penis, it would look just like that.

LOL
Nothing against bicycles and ride a little myself, but this one gave me a WTF in town this morning. Cute little fella - weaving around all over the lane like he was on a slalom ski. To his credit, he was keeping up with traffic at the 25 mph posted speed.

PB are you using Gevenalle shifters on that bike?

If so what do you think of them?
Originally Posted by dodgefan
PB are you using Gevenalle shifters on that bike?

If so what do you think of them?

Yep. In order to run mountain bike gearing on a drop bar, that was my only choice. It works perfectly too. Front is friction which allows precise cage placement. Rear is flawless indexing.
I went with bar end and 9 speed to accomplish that. I looked at the Gevenalle, but I'm mostly a cheap bastard when it comes to bikes.
I caused more trouble today. Bless a motorist's heart.

Hey, what's that?

Cool pics Paul, just one question is it true that bicyclists extent their pedals so they can raise the seat higher.
Originally Posted by dakota300rum
Cool pics Paul, just one question is it true that bicyclists extent their pedals so they can raise the seat higher.

Not quite sure I understand the question, but I'll take a stab. Seat height is typically based upon leg length and bottom bracket (pedal axle housing) height. Some bikes have higher bottom brackets than others. The seat should be adjusted so that the rider has about 25-30 degrees on the down stroke. Riders with shorter legs will have shorter crank arm (the thing that the pedals attach to) lengths. Riders with longer legs will have longer crank arm length. The idea is to get that 25 degrees of leg bend on the down stroke, without having too much of a bend angle on the up stroke. When the legs are extended more than 25 degrees or bent more than 65 degrees on the upstroke, the knee is stressed too much and you aren't in an optimum power range.
Jeese Paul there is more to riding a bike then hopping on. That's not quite the way I adjust the granddaughters bikes. Lol
Have fun and be safe.
It's that time of year again when snakes come out on the pavement to absorb the heat at the end of the day. Most of the places I ride are on paved trails in greenbelts along streams and marshy areas, I've seen three on the trail in the last few days. Managed to miss all but one, didn't see it until too late.

"Bicyclists causing trouble for the local snake population."
It's that time of year again when snakes come out on the pavement to absorb the heat at the end of the day. Most of the places I ride are on paved trails in greenbelts along streams and marshy areas, I've seen three on the trail in the last few days. Managed to miss all but one, didn't see it until too late.

"Bicyclists causing trouble for the local snake population."

Haha I always try to miss snakes when I'm driving much to my wife's dismay. Most rattlesnakes in N.D. are west of the Missouri River I live in the east. I know of guys that have hit deer on motorcycle and bear in other states, does that happen with bicycles? Or other critters?
I can't speak for others but personally I'm not fast enough to make hitting animals a real problem. At around 15 mph I can pretty much stop when I need to, even when the local hippos decide to step in front of me.
LOL @ "knitting forum". That's some highly visible clothing Paul.

I got a cheap chinese made sproingy saddle for mine today. Last time I rode through a plowed field with da electric hardtail it felt like I was being scrubbed back and forth on a warshboard.
© 24hourcampfire