Home
Posted By: rockchucker truck tires - 09/15/22
need some new tires on our 2013 chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax. Size 265-60-20" AT E load.

Looked at:
Hercules terra trac
Mitchlin LTX
Cooper AT3
Faulkin wildpeak
Yokohoma geolander
Nexum Roadian
BF Goodrich AT
General grabber
toyo open country

driving will be highway/gravel road/some off road checking fields/and hauling goose neck trailers.

What you guys using and recommand.
Posted By: walt501 Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
I had two sets of the Michelin LTX M/S load range E on my Excursion for 175,000 miles. Just switched to the LTX Defender, also in load range E. I honestly didn't think there was a better tire for a heavy truck than the old LTX M/S. After 1000 miles on the new tires, I have to say that they are better in every way from the old LTX M/S. They ride smoother and they track better on a larger truck. Highly recommended.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Michelins LTX AT2 on my dually diesel service truck, wife’s landcruiser and an F150 spare truck. Zero complaints. My service truck eats tires for lunch, the Michelins last way longer than anything else I’ve ran.

Tacoma I run to the cabin, mountains and fishing wears Toyo MT’s. Best off road tire I’ve ran.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Grabbers are dogscheit.

BFG AT’s always gave me good service on my Tacoma but couldn’t get the size I run, 235/85R16.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
I can recommend NOT the Falken Wildpeak.

I have Cooper ATs on my power stroke and haven’t had an issue but I don’t drive it too much. When I do though it is often on dirt roads with a stock trailer. They seem to hold up well to the torque and weight that a diesel puts onto tires. Load Range E at a minimum I may add…
Posted By: JLimbo Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
B. My Ford has had two of the tires listed. From the factory it came with the Toyo Open Countrys in 275 65 R-20. Ran them 40k and still had decent tread but replaced them with the onset of winter. They were replaced with BFG K02s in 285 65 R-20s. I like the BFGs a little better in both mud and snow but both brands were relatively quiet. I've got 25k on the BFGs and they may be wearing a little faster than the Toyos but I think it's worth it for better off road grip.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Toyo makes Nittos...

Both are very good.

Nokian Rockproof are great, but too aggressive for your stated needs. I like Nokian as much as Michelin.

Cooper and Goodyear out for me.
Posted By: KFWA Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
I have the Coopers on my Tundra and the Toyo on my T100

The Toyo's are quieter, I've have to put alot of effort into getting the Coopers to give me a good ride but they were also cheaper by quite a bit
Posted By: MarkWV Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
I’m using the Firestone Destinations A/T2 on the 4Runner, Have the Destinations A/T’s on the Ranger. A/T2’s are much quieter.

No complaint from me on either tire, semi off-road use, more highway than anything.
Posted By: 673 Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Grabbers are dogscheit.

BFG AT’s always gave me good service on my Tacoma but couldn’t get the size I run, 235/85R16.
I have had 3 complete sets of BFG KO2 on my 1 ton dually, in the bush putting 1 1/2 cord of wood on it in some nasty places everyday....never had a flat. I get 2 years out of them.
Originally Posted by KFWA

The Toyo's are quieter, I've have to put alot of effort into getting the Coopers to give me a good ride but they were also cheaper by quite a bit

Goodyear bought Cooper in Feb 2021.

Goodyear is PURE CRAP.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Originally Posted by walt501
I had two sets of the Michelin LTX M/S load range E on my Excursion for 175,000 miles. Just switched to the LTX Defender, also in load range E. I honestly didn't think there was a better tire for a heavy truck than the old LTX M/S. After 1000 miles on the new tires, I have to say that they are better in every way from the old LTX M/S. They ride smoother and they track better on a larger truck. Highly recommended.

^^^This^^^

I’m still running a set of the old original LTX M/S on Dad’s old 92 Chevy 3/4 ton Ranch Truck. They’re also E load range versions.

They’ve got AT LEAST 75.000 miles on them now.
Still have tread left. And never had a flat tire on any of them. And I run over a lot of mesquite thorns and prickly pear cactus in the pasture, too.

I’ll have to give the Defender’s a try when I replace them.
Posted By: rockchucker Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Goodyear is PURE CRAP.

Damnit.

i hate goodyear
Posted By: cisco1 Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Don't buy price point tires at the big box stores. example : COSTCO & Michelins.
Posted By: tzone Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
I have Cooper Rugged Trek on my truck and I like them a lot. You can’t even tell they’re worn and I have about 18k on them.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by walt501

^^^This^^^

I’m still running a set of the old original LTX M/S on Dad’s old 92 Chevy 3/4 ton Ranch Truck. They’re also E load range versions.

They’ve got AT LEAST 75.000 miles on them now.
Still have tread left. And never had a flat tire on any of them. And I run over a lot of mesquite thorns and prickly pear cactus in the pasture, too.

I’ll have to give the Defender’s a try when I replace them.

They are great for sure... ALL MICHELINS.

BUT... use them alot... or expect dry rot in 5 years (+/-). Hard rubber.

JUST an opinion.
Posted By: ledvm Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
I run 5 2500/3500 diesel pickups high mileage.

We run only Toyo Open County tires. Can’t go wrong with them
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
I just ordered new tires for my Nissan. No need for off road tires, mud, snow tires, or tires to carry a load. I want a smooth quiet ride, along with a tire that will last. I ran a set of Kuhmo's and really liked them. Current set is Ironman and they've lasted 59,000 miles, but always road rough.

Total cost for 4 Kuhmo P265/75R16's will be just under $700 and they are 60,000 miles tires.
Posted By: plumbum Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
I have had Grabbers and got good service from them. Same with the Cooper AT3.

Now have the KO2, I like them too. Nice ride, but they are C range.
Posted By: Longbob Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
I have had the best success with Michelins and Continentals.
Posted By: reivertom Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Michelins of every type have always been my first choice. I have them on 2 cars and a truck. I just replaced a set on my Tundra that was 10 years old and had 50,000 miles on them. I put them through some stuff, on trails, and logging roads, and they always held air good. They weren't worn out by far, they were just starting to get some small cracks, and it was just time to buy new. I figured the prices were going up soon, so I got some before they started to rise.
Posted By: nugget Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
I like the nexen on my Tacoma,but never tried load E,just regular street tread get 70,000 on them
Posted By: ltppowell Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Originally Posted by rockchucker
need some new tires on our 2013 chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax. Size 265-60-20" AT E load.

Looked at:
Hercules terra trac
Mitchlin LTX
Cooper AT3
Faulkin wildpeak
Yokohoma geolander
Nexum Roadian
BF Goodrich AT
General grabber
toyo open country

driving will be highway/gravel road/some off road checking fields/and hauling goose neck trailers.

Bobby, I hate recommending tires, but the Cooper 10 ply tires that I have now have been the best I've ever owned.
Posted By: tater74 Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Michelins. Worth the money.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
I've been pleased with the Toyo's on my F150. And the Michelin's on or our Explorer. But there are several good choices there. I do think the BF Goodrich tires are over rated, but all the cool kids have to have them.
Posted By: reivertom Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Michelins of every type have always been my first choice. I have them on 2 cars and a truck. I just replaced a set on my Tundra that was 10 years old and had 50,000 miles on them. I put them through some stuff, on trails, and logging roads, and they always held air good. They weren't worn out by far, they were just starting to get some small cracks, and it was just time to buy new. I figured the prices were going up soon, so I got some before they started to rise.
Posted By: 673 Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Originally Posted by plumbum
I have had Grabbers and got good service from them. Same with the Cooper AT3.

Now have the KO2, I like them too. Nice ride, but they are C range.
My KO2 are load range E.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
I've been using Michelin Defender LTX on my commuting pickups for years and they've been excellent. Off road driving is just a small percentage of my use. If I spent more time off road I'd probably go with Ridge Grapplers or Goodrich All Terain TAs.
Posted By: Mossy Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
I like the U.S. made Cooper AT3 on my 2500HD. I regularly tow a 14k lb toy hauler or a 10k lb boat. Quiet, good in the rain and snow. Probably get 45-50k miles out of them
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I've been using Michelin Defender LTX on my commuting pickups for years and they've been excellent. Off road driving is just a small percentage of my use. If I spent more time off road I'd probably go with Ridge Grapplers or Goodrich All Terain TAs.

The Goodrich TA’s suck in the black gumbo mud and red clay mud to. They don’t last half as long as the Michelins, either.
I had a set on my Toyota FJ Cruiser. I’ll never buy another set.
Posted By: Oakster Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Several of us run Good Year Duratrack on our diesels. They run them around the mine and oil field here in Wyoming, and run them down the highway with the snowmobile trailers etc. They are a reasonable price for a good product.
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Just dropped 1400 on General grabber atx's. Have had Cooper at3, BFG at's, Yokohama geolanders. They all work.

But then again I actually use them...weird.

Edit: Hankook atm's I forgot about..also work.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
My 2017 F-150 came new with Goodyear Wranglers. I have put 70,000 miles on them, and they still have decent tread. I'll replace them before winter and may put another set of them on. Haven't decided which tires yet.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Toyo's are working for me, similar use as you. They were pricey (Les Schwab, parents should'a called him More Schwab) but they are a little over 50% now and I project they will be the cheapest in the long run. I absolutely hated the Michelins load range E, that came off with their ooshy smooshy sidewall when towing. Every turn in the road is a new experience.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by RiverRider

The Goodrich TA’s suck in the black gumbo mud and red clay mud to. They don’t last half as long as the Michelins, either.
I had a set on my Toyota FJ Cruiser. I’ll never buy another set.
He said truck tires
Posted By: SamOlson Re: truck tires - 09/16/22

What you guys using and recommend.

This is pretty much our use as well.

Right now we have 3 work pickups.(diesel F350's)

One wears a set of wore out Hankook ATM's on a dual rear wheel F350 with a 400 gallon water tank. Set of Kelly Edge MT's on my daily driver farmer pickup and a set of Toyo Open Country MT's on my off road, do all highway trailer bale bed.

I think the Kelly's are going to chunk out from too much gravel, the Hankooks have always been a good AT tire, the Toyo's were $$$ but have been rumored to be the best.

My favorite tire still might be the (old version)Cooper ST Maxx but the tire man said he couldn't get those and sold me the Kelly's instead.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

What you guys using and recommend.

This is pretty much our use as well.

Right now we have 3 work pickups.(diesel F350's)

One wears a set of wore out Hankook ATM's on a dual rear wheel F350 with a 400 gallon water tank. Set of Kelly Edge MT's on my daily driver farmer pickup and a set of Toyo Open Country MT's on my off road, do all highway trailer bale bed.

I think the Kelly's are going to chunk out from too much gravel, the Hankooks have always been a good AT tire, the Toyo's were $$$ but have been rumored to be the best.

My nephew swears by the Toyo Open Country MT’s on his F-350.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
C, other than the price I like 'em!

I also wanted to try the Toyo RT's on my farmer pickup but again they were not available to my local tire guy.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
C, other than the price I like 'em!

I’ve been too tight to buy a set. 😬
Posted By: Showdog75 Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
I ran Michelin for years until I couldn't get a set in a timely manner and went with Nitto. Been running Nitto every since.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Coopers all the way.
Posted By: TheKid Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
I put a set of Toyo CTs on my 3/4 ton last year. Strangely they were the cheapest E rated name brand tire I could find in my size at the time. They’re a good “rural” truck tire I think. They aren’t quite a noisy mud tire that’s going to wear like schiet. But they have more aggressive tread than the factory ATs that come on most trucks.

So far they’ve been really good on and off road, pulling trailers, decent on ice and snow, and they seem to be wearing well.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I can recommend NOT the Faulkin Wildpeak.

Crap, that's what I put on my Ram 3500 diesel last time. Reasonably priced.

Been two years, fair amount of towing. But so far, no complaints.
Posted By: G23 Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Toyo's here. Very happy with them.

G23
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
I have had 2 sets of Falken Wildpeaks. Most amazing snow and ice traction ever. I run them in Kodiak. Never a flat, never a leak, never slid of the road. Freaking great tires. Mine are 10 ply
Posted By: Heym06 Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
I just run the 10 ply, les schwab, back country. I drive my duramax fairly aggressively. I didn't get good wear with michlens mud terrain. I found the outside rows of tread block were seperated to far apart. For the heavy front ! If that makes sense. Anyway the front wore poorly, and yes they got rotated! Cooper would be my other choice. I have BF Goodrich AT on my Trooper, 10 ply, their ok, good in mud and snow, they suck on ice, or hard packed snow. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: JLimbo Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Originally Posted by cisco1
Don't buy price point tires at the big box stores. example : COSTCO & Michelins.

Except if you don't buy price point tires. During the crux of the Chinese Bat flu I wanted 5 BFG KM3s and my local N Nv Costco brought them in from TX in about four days. Old tires on an old low milage Land Cruiser. Problem solved.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I can recommend NOT the Faulkin Wildpeak.

Crap, that's what I put on my Ram 3500 diesel last time. Reasonably priced.

Been two years, fair amount of towing. But so far, no complaints.

Well I hope you have better luck with them than I did and/or they started using higher quality materials and manufacturing processes.

To the thread in general, you all realize the OP is asking about tires for a 3/4 ton diesel pickup, right? Suggestions based on Toyotas and other half ton sized rigs really aren't comparable. The weight of that Duramax and the torque it produces taxes a tire way more than on a smaller pickup.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
M55

Sometimes they have a buy 3 get one free deal.

Makes them about as affordable as all the rest of the junk.
Posted By: norm99 Re: truck tires - 09/16/22

Goodyear is PURE CRAP.

i got great service out of my Goodyear duratrac, , lot of hwy oil patch gravel rds almost all heavy hauling, Ford SD 350. 18"
Posted By: fester Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Grabbers are dogscheit.

I have had 3 complete sets of BFG KO2 on my 1 ton dually, in the bush putting 1 1/2 cord of wood on it in some nasty places everyday....never had a flat. I get 2 years out of them.
I like my K02s
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
M55

Sometimes they have a buy 3 get one free deal.

Makes them about as affordable as all the rest of the junk.

I ran Toyo M55's on my welding truck. Lots of weight, shidty roads, high miles.

Could be the best gravel road tire out there.

Kind of hard rubber for ice, but a hell of a commercial grade tire.

As Jim alludes to, they are a might proud of them at checkout time.
Posted By: Teal Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Lots of friends like the Toyos - I was happy with my Geolanders.

I know the Mickey Thompson Boss ATs are getting a lot of love from guys. More of a hybrid AT/MT I guess.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
I have had really good service from Toyo Open Country tires
Posted By: KFWA Re: truck tires - 09/16/22

I bought some tires from Costco for my wife's car, they were some crazy tread - kinda looked like a racing tractor tire. They were BF Goodrich Cross Climate II

supposedly a great all season tire

[Linked Image from townfairtire.com]
Posted By: Dre Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
I have the falken wildpeaks.
Wears the best on my cummins, on my 2nd set.
Had Toyos, wore those out quick. Good for 1/2 tons. Not heavy diesels.
Coopers had a shake over 75, they wouldn’t strand behind their product, so I can’t recommend them
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: truck tires - 09/16/22

Why not?
Posted By: rockchucker Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
forgot to add this truck is not my daily and mainly gets used when i need to do truck things.
I buy almost all of my tires online from Walmart.com (catch a Clearance kinda thing)... In the past year or two I have scored some amazing deals on Toyos, Nittos and Nokians

IN STORE tires at Walmart are often a lesser tire (built to a price point).

The one thing I discovered on various tires is that "shipping weight" is a big clue on construction.

The last Nittos I got had a "shipping weight" of 57 pounds IIRC...

The Goodyears and off brands were in the 30s.

The sidewalls are considerably more substantial... as well as the whole tire overall.

I use Es or better on most everything (trailers included).

Cars excluded.

3% rebate with Active Junky... $30 on $1k kinda thing... nothing huge, but a tank of fuel every once in a while.
Posted By: AML Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
I ran Michelin ltx m/s on my 99 wrangler for the twelve years I had it. They were great tires and, as someone else mentioned, they dry rot before they actually wear out. I've been running Continentals for the last ten years and they are at least as good as Michelins. Hard to go wrong with either brand in my experience.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Firestone Destination A/Ts would be my recommendation for overall value, on/off road and longevity.
Posted By: CRS Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Have been running Falken Wildpeak AT3's now for over 200k on four different trucks with three different drivers. Just put another set on. They are simply the best tires I have ever run.

Have had one flat due to bolt picked up in a parking lot. Never a problem out at the ranch or up in the mountains (Black Hills).
Posted By: slymule Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
I have put General Grabber AT2 or ATX's on every truck, suburban, and 4runner we've owned for the last 15yrs, hope they never stop making them. IMO their twice the tire of Goodyear AT at nearly half the price. Oh, and never had a flat on one yet.
Posted By: BamBam Re: truck tires - 09/16/22

Looked at:
Hercules terra trac
Mitchlin LTX
Cooper AT3
Faulkin wildpeak
Yokohoma geolander
Nexum Roadian
BF Goodrich AT
General grabber
toyo open country

Out of the ones that you listed.
General grabber
Toyo open country ATlll… i’ll add,
Nitto ridge grappler
I have experience with all.have them on trucks as we speak, all of them are fantastic tires. I’ve also had Michelin LTX Cooper AT3 BF Goodrich AT… And a few others.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Originally Posted by CRS
Have been running Falken Wildpeak AT3's now for over 200k on four different trucks with three different drivers. Just put another set on. They are simply the best tires I have ever run.

Have had one flat due to bolt picked up in a parking lot. Never a problem out at the ranch or up in the mountains (Black Hills).

I concur
Posted By: BKinSD Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Another vote for Falken WildPeak, love mine. I like BFG's also, have them on my Bronco. But the WildPeaks outperform
Posted By: horse1 Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
Nitto Exo Grapplers on a diesel pickup. In nearly 300K of diesel pickup driving I've used:

BFG AT KO and KO2
BFG Long-Trail
Goodyear Dura-Trac
Continental Conti-Trac
Nitto Trail Grappler
Nitto Terra Grappler
Nitto Exo Grappler

The Exo's are the best AT tire on slick packed snow/ice I've used. They don't chunk/cut badly on gravel. They're the most stable tire with a load/heavy trailer I've used. I typically use them Fall/Winter and use something less aggressive during the summer as summer is pretty much just pavement boat trailering so I can't say exactly how many miles I get out of them as I don't keep track. I'd guess ~45-50K. I'm not a "run them until they're bare" guy either. I tend to get rid of tires other folks might run for another 7-10K.
Posted By: Sheister Re: truck tires - 09/16/22
My son and I both go with the Yokohama Geolander AT GO15. Great tires for highway and off road and have great ice and snow traction. Very quiet on the highway. And they are priced a bit below the other brands like the Toyos, KO2's, and the other highly rated brands . Check the reviews on several sites and see what you think
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: truck tires - 09/17/22
I love to recommend Toyo M-55. I have been running them since I bought my first HD 3/4 ton 4X4 in 1985.
My last set lasted through two trucks and over fifteen years. I sold the 96 GMC a year ago with them still on it.
[Linked Image from 1010tires.com]

But, alas, I can not find them to fit 20 inch wheels.
Posted By: K1500 Re: truck tires - 09/17/22
I’ve run Goodyear (stock SR/A and stock trail runners), Cooper ATP’s from discount, Kanati trail hogs (a Duratrack knockoff), and two sets of BFG KO2’s. The Goodyears were actually ok, but I wouldn’t rebuy them. The kanati were so horrible I took them off and sold them on Craigslist for a loss. The coopers were fine right up until they got a big bubble that couldn’t be repaired. The BFG’s were the best of the bunch for sure. These were all on a gas or diesel 3/4 ton crew cab.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: truck tires - 09/17/22
I will tell you janers something.......like gasoline....todays tires are so much better than they were even 20 years ago....its no comparison.

You just about cant find a BAD tire anymore.

Some are better than others.....but they are all so much better than they were.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: truck tires - 09/17/22
I won't ever run Yokohama toes again. Very bad company, won't stand behind their lousy tires. Goodyear was very good to me but i don't think they have a great tire right now. I ran Toyo Open country for 2 sets but they are soft and wear quickly. If i were running a heavy 1 ton i would get the M55s and not look back. For everything else the Wildpeaks wear great and have amazing traction on bad conditions
Posted By: DouginAlaska Re: truck tires - 09/17/22
I run Nokian on my F350 and will never go back to anything else. Run their studded and summer/off road tires. I also run them on my wife's jeep, studded and summer/off road tires.
Posted By: AKduck Re: truck tires - 09/17/22
Originally Posted by CRS

On my second set, see no reason to switch.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: truck tires - 09/17/22
BFG AT T/A is darned hard to beat.

Every tire in the OP's list is what we consider a "road tire". But the BFG does OK off-road for what it is. The Mrs. has a set on her Yukon that have 36K miles on them and still a whole lot of tread depth. We run them at 40 PSI. The weight of the Duramax will surely shorten the life of any tire you put under it. But the BFG would be my pick of the litter.
Posted By: BamBam Re: truck tires - 09/17/22
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I love to recommend Toyo M-55. I have been running them since I bought my first HD 3/4 ton 4X4 in 1985.
My last set lasted through two trucks and over fifteen years. I sold the 96 GMC a year ago with them still on it.

I’ve read nothing but good things about these tires. When my tires are up on my 01 dodge 5.7 i’m going to throw these on.

Goodyear is PURE CRAP.

I didn’t know that, thanks for that info. Years ago I had a D lamination on the side wall on two tires on my F250 with a 6.0. Goodyear didn’t stand by their tires. I Fought them tooth and nail they refused to make good on them. That was seven years ago and have yet to buy a Goodyear product. Now I guess I have to put BF goodrich on the list :-) I run them on my Tacoma good tire you just have to rotate often.
Posted By: hanco Re: truck tires - 09/17/22
Michelin tires last a long, long time. I won’t have anything else!
Originally Posted by DouginAlaska
I run Nokian on my F350 and will never go back to anything else. Run their studded and summer/off road tires. I also run them on my wife's jeep, studded and summer/off road tires.
I have a separate set of studded for my Tacoma, crazy good tire!
Posted By: rockchucker Re: truck tires - 09/17/22
How are the Toyo M-55 on road noise? My driving is about 70% blacktop and 30% gravel and field stuff?

I appreciate all the feedback and recommendations.
Posted By: JLimbo Re: truck tires - 09/17/22
One of my buddies ditched his 20" rims on his GMC and went with 18"s just to run the M-55s. I've ridden all over Nevada with him and they're not super noisy. Tons of mine pickups run them here.
Posted By: CRS Re: truck tires - 09/17/22
I have looked at the Toyo M-55's, but never bought a set. Good to hear the positive replies.

BFG's would be the last tire I would buy. Have never had good wear, longevity, or toughness out of them. A set came a jeep we bought. Will run them until they are done, which will not take long from my previous experience. They will get replaced with Falkens.
Posted By: rockchucker Re: truck tires - 09/17/22
ended up buying a set of wildpeak A/T3W just a bit ago.

I appreciate everyone's input.

T inman i'll let you know how they work for me.
Posted By: norm99 Re: truck tires - 09/17/22
40 psi is a car tire we are talking 80 t0 90 psi on ford SD and Chev GMC duramax ,HEAVY hauling hard use trucks , start driving 30 to 40,000 miles a year on every rd emaginal, nothing less that load range E 10 ply more than half the time my 1 ton ford is over 5500 kgs or 11,000 lbs, ,

i find every so often tire manufactures SCREW up , i ran toyo for years till they had sidewall issues thenBFG AT s ,now Duramax , Tried 1 set of Toyo Open C ,,no thanks worn out in 1 year, now back to good year going for a 35" instead of a 33". they will go on when the snow flies. ! set of Continentals 3 sidewall failures, no thanks. I do 15 t0 22,000 miles a year on that truck

norm
Originally Posted by BamBam

I’ve read nothing but good things about these tires. When my tires are up on my 01 dodge 5.7 i’m going to throw these on.

I do not think there is another tire out there that will outlast the M-55 on gravel or rock.

I had M-55s in 235-85-16E on my 65 GMC which was often loaded with 6000 lbs in the bed.

M55s in 255-85-16E on a 75 Dodge W 250 which did not have the spring capacity the GMC did, but still often carried 5000 lb plus a trailer.

M55s in 235-75-15C on a 84 K5 Blazer, and then another set on a 99 S series Blazer.

The 84 K5 eventually got a second set of M55s in 255-85-16, fully siped. The were all around the best snow and ice tires I have ever driven on.

M55s in 255-85-16D on an 83 GMC K2500 6.2 diesel. When I sold the diesel and replaced it with a 96 GMC HD 2500 4x4, the tire and wheels went to the newer truck.

The 02 GMC HD 2500 4x4 in the driveway came to me with lesser Toyos on it. They still have lots of tread. And they carry my 9 foot Lance camper well. So they will work for a while.
How are the Toyo M-55 on road noise? My driving is about 70% blacktop and 30% gravel and field stuff?

I appreciate all the feedback and recommendations.
They do make some noise, no doubt about that. A trade off I have been glad to make.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: truck tires - 09/18/22

Looked at:
Hercules terra trac
Mitchlin LTX
Cooper AT3
Faulkin wildpeak
Yokohoma geolander
Nexum Roadian
BF Goodrich AT
General grabber
toyo open country

Currently running 4 of those makes.

Hercules on a 450. Tire is wearing great but man does it walk and wander. I will not ever buy those again. Bad enough that I pretty much banned everyone else from driving that truck for the 1st year except myself.

LTX are great on the highway. Not great grip or bite tho. Love them for the highway, but add snow or mud into the mix, no thank you.

Coopers on one of our 350s. Similar to the LTXs. Great on the hwy. Not too great when in the junk.

Wildpeak on a 350 and on my toyota tundra. Pleasantly pleased with them.

Used to run Toyo open country when I lived in eastern MT and drove on a lot of gravel. They were the tire of choice for the gravel and gumbo.
Posted By: bobinpa Re: truck tires - 09/19/22
I liked and used to run Cooper AT3s until Goodyear bought them and they went woke. I ain't buying into any of that BS no matter how good they are and I ain't buying any foreign made tires either. I switched to General Grabbers now. So far they are pretty good. I like the traction in the snow and mud.... Haven't had them long enough to know how they will last.
Posted By: gutthooked Re: truck tires - 09/19/22
I've had the grabbers and wild peak both are long lasting good tire. Would reccomended either of them.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: truck tires - 09/19/22
I love a good tire thread.
Posted By: BamBam Re: truck tires - 09/19/22
Originally Posted by BamBam

I do not think there is another tire out there that will outlast the M-55 on gravel or rock.

I had M-55s in 235-85-16E on my 65 GMC which was often loaded with 6000 lbs in the bed.

M55s in 255-85-16E on a 75 Dodge W 250 which did not have the spring capacity the GMC did, but still often carried 5000 lb plus a trailer.

M55s in 235-75-15C on a 84 K5 Blazer, and then another set on a 99 S series Blazer.

The 84 K5 eventually got a second set of M55s in 255-85-16, fully siped. The were all around the best snow and ice tires I have ever driven on.

M55s in 255-85-16D on an 83 GMC K2500 6.2 diesel. When I sold the diesel and replaced it with a 96 GMC HD 2500 4x4, the tire and wheels went to the newer truck.

The 02 GMC HD 2500 4x4 in the driveway came to me with lesser Toyos on it. They still have lots of tread. And they carry my 9 foot Lance camper well. So they will work for a while.

Wow, you’ve run those tires through the gambit on multiple different vehicles. I’ll put a set on my 01 dodge plow truck next winter, still got a little life Left in my general grabbers.
Posted By: 1Longbow Re: truck tires - 09/19/22
I had Continental Terrain contacts on my cummins Ram before I sold it. Great all around tire in my opinion
© 24hourcampfire