Home
Scorecard grades toilet paper brands in terms of climate change impact
Ben Adler
Ben Adler·Senior Editor
Thu, September 15, 2022 at 5:58 PM·6 min read

Americans use an estimated 36.5 billion rolls of toilet paper every year and the average consumer will go through the equivalent of 384 trees just for toilet paper in the course of a lifetime. Deforestation causes a range of environmental problems, including loss of wildlife habitats and biodiversity. It also contributes to climate change, since trees absorb and store carbon dioxide, which is the most common greenhouse gas.

Amid a growing interest in which brands use the best sustainability practices, the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), an environmental advocacy organization, analyzed the sourcing of the largest brands of toilet paper, facial tissue and paper towels on the U.S. market. Its resulting scorecard, released on Wednesday, gives failing sustainability grades to most of the biggest household names.

The four-largest name brands in the country — Angel Soft, Charmin, Cottonelle, and Quilted Northern — all received an F.

“As this year’s scorecard shows, the largest tissue brands in America are failing the climate, communities, and biodiversity by continuing to create their products from forests like the Canadian boreal, which stores more carbon than any other terrestrial ecosystem,” wrote NRDC’s Ashley Jordan in a blog post explaining the ratings. The largest brands, she added, are made “almost exclusively from virgin forest fiber and fail to avoid sourcing from primary forests.”

Virgin forest fiber refers to any wood that has been cut down and used for the first time. Since cutting down trees releases the carbon dioxide stored within them, recycled paper has a much lower carbon footprint, as it only creates emissions from the energy used to manufacture and transport it. Tissues made from recycled paper create one-third of the carbon emissions of tissue made from virgin wood, according to the Environmental Paper Network’s Paper Calculator 4.0.

Of the 58 types of toilet paper scored by NRDC, 12 received either an A or A+ because they are made from post-consumer recycled paper. The vast majority of those are specifically eco-conscious products, including Green Forest, Natural Value, Nature’s Promise, Seventh Generation Soft and Strong, and Marcal 100% Recycled.
Sounds like a lot of $hit to me.
I fart every chance I get!
How does a Sears catalogue rate in the findings?
That’s a bunch of SH*T!
You should be runnoft for posting ANYTHING from the NRDC.
Well, I'm pretty sure it would be recognized that I cause climate change in the bathroom I am inhabiting while I poop.... not sure how far the effect is felt as my eyes are usually watering too much to see that far...
1 - I don't care if I do
2 - no TP was going to pass the test unless they wanted it to pass the test
3 - Charmin pulp don't come from Canada
4 - Trees are renewable, 350 trees in my lifetime? BFD - we'll plant more than that by noon in one season.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You should be runnoft for posting ANYTHING from the NRDC.
Lol!
I hope so. I would like to know I am making a difference.
All those tree huggers should be wiping their butts with dried corncobs- - - - -if they're not, they must be a bunch of hypocrites. Maybe they should move to a muzzy country where the left hand is "unclean"- - - -they don't use any paper at all!
Toilet paper is made from pulp wood. Lumber is made from trees.
Originally Posted by Teal
1 - I don't care if I do
4 - Trees are renewable, 350 trees in my lifetime? BFD - we'll plant more than that by noon in one season.

Big old pretty trees are just about useless...except for tourism.

A young stand of planted timber planted in a mosaic pattern around the countryside is much better for the planet than old growth or "virgin" timber.

At least as far as the water and carbon cycles go.

Logging is good for the planet....not bad for the planet.
Under the NDAA, signed into law by Obama in 2012, the federal government has the unrestricted power to seize all food, farms, fuel, ammunition, commodities, fertilizer and anything else it deems to be a strategic national resource. All they need now is war.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Teal
1 - I don't care if I do

Big old pretty trees are just about useless...except for tourism.

A young stand of planted timber planted in a mosaic pattern around the countryside is much better for the planet than old growth or "virgin" timber.

At least as far as the water and carbon cycles go.

Logging is good for the planet....not bad for the planet.

Agreed. Fam's in the Christmas tree business past 100+ years. Get the occasional protesting hugger.

A 10 year old balsam produces more O2 than those big old trees and after 12, production goes down. One lady in particular was banging away and having a fit. Uncle looks at her and goes "You plant a tree for Arbor Day?" She was real proud she did.

He then informed her he planted 8000 - who was doing what for the air again?
Damn right.
Water used to recycle paper is far greater than first use. It takes more to clean that water, also.
3M 220 grit is softer than toilet paper made from recycled pizza boxes, just sayin’.
I will add this to the list of other things I don’t give a [bleep] about.
They should do like the goat fuqkers and wipe their ass with their hand.
Be a man. Use your hand.
We switched to a bidet before my shoulder and back surgeries and have reduced our toilet paper consumption by 80%. I’ll never be without a bidet from this point forward and I’ll never know how I made it 45+ years without one.

We a Charmin or Cottonelle house…
Everyone needs to keep a flock of swans around.
Toilet paper, hell…
Dunno what i ate yesterday, but believe the emissions burned thru the ozone layer.
And that’s doubly bad news - having fair skin and all.
My methane alone is making some impact.
[Linked Image from portablepress.com]
As Charles would say...."There's nothing quite like a good s hit!"
I use Charmin. Sometimes I'll break out in a sweat while doing the dirty deed.
#whogivesaflyingfuck
What do bidetists do when traveling or visiting? Is there some sort of hose device that they can attach to the sink?
Originally Posted by 5sdad
What do bidetists do when traveling or visiting? Is there some sort of hose device that they can attach to the sink?

Grab a towel and "floss".
Add the Canadian boreal forest to the list of "lungs of the planet" along with the Amazon rain forest and the Siberian forest; whatever fits the narrative under discussion.
Had constipation for ten day, so wasn’t causing much, took some ducolax last night, climate change is on now.
A number of years ago, lefty-loony singer Cheryl Crow told us we could save the planet if we would use just one square of TP to get the job done.

If I ever have the misfortune of meeting her (unlikely), I will not shake her hand!
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
...................and Marcal 100% Recycled.
I bet that one's brown..... laugh
"It also contributes to climate change, since trees absorb and store carbon dioxide, which is the most common greenhouse gas."

That statement is flat out 100 percent wrong. The most common greenhouse gas is water vapor. You see it every day in the form of clouds. Clouds good, no clouds bad. Co2 is IIRC, the number two greenhouse gas and without it plants would die. Plants "eat" Co2 and emit oxygen. What we need is more trees and plant life, not a ban on toilet paper.
PJ
I could only hope!
Originally Posted by drop_point
That’s a bunch of SH*T!

IT IS................Trees are farmed just like cotton........Only difference is span between harvest..............Seems common sense is DEAD among many.
Dropping a true as this is typed.
Gonna wipe clean in a minute.
Biggest worry is not getting any on my finger.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Dropping a true as this is typed.
Gonna wipe clean in a minute.
Biggest worry is not getting any on my finger.
Not a good way to get in touch with your inner self.
I think I need to go again.
I have Crohn's, im gonna tear up the climate🖕
How does this fit with the impending ice age I was told to fear when I was 11 years old?
© 24hourcampfire