Home
Been on a search for a model 70 308 for 2 years featherweight in mind.Well I stumbled across a model 70 stealth yesterday 308 heavy barrel 26in tube vortex outfit scope $850.My sole purpose was to find 12 yr old daughter a decent 243 not plastic scchit so I left it.The damn thing has haunted me all day I’ve already got a model 7 308 and I’m at piece with it need to find daughter the 243 she wants.She said she’d borrow her brothers model 70 243 but that ain’t right she’ll have her own in some form.
Yeah, walked off from a deal on a Sako, dont remember which model, in 243. Watched the owner shoot 20 shots into the 10 ring at 100 yds. Completely ate out the x ring. A couple years later, he wanted to sell the rifle for $650 without the scope, but I knew he only gave $250 with the scope.

Not going to say it haunts me, but it was a good rifle.
A S&W "N" frame that started life as a M-28 that had the barrel replaced with a 44 barrel and the cylinder rechambered in 44 special. It was slick and priced fairly. Still kicking myself..............
Been more than one but this one stands out.

A 700 LVSF in .223 NIB, they wanted $792. By the time I made up my mind to go get it two weeks later it was sold. Thing had been in his gun rack for over a year.
A Winchester model 21 in near unfired condition. A widow was selling off her husbands gun collection because she didn't want guns in her house. A Sheriff's deputy friend of mine was selling them for her. She wanted $250.00 for the model 21. This was 1969 and I was just married and broke. I had to pass.
Winchester 9410
Too many, sleepless nights. Curse of we Rifle Loonies.
Yep. 40 yrs ago. Makes me sick to think about it. Dale Goens marble cake- light blond/black swirl Pre 64, 338, quarter rib, skeleton steel, .......................................
Left a Mauser chambered in 8x68S on the rack once. Asking price was $299 and I walked away. Got to thinking about it later that night and went back the next day to buy it and walked in while a guy was doing the paperwork on it. Missed out on a great rifle in a great caliber.
Same gun shop had a 788 243 mint several weeks ago $400 before daughter told me she needs a 243🤦‍♂️
Larger pawn shop in town has multi 308s now had several model 7 243s a year ago I’m not a 243 fan but going on a whim to please
Yeah! But I’m making up for it! 😉
I’ve got 3 model 70 270s told her to pick one she wants a 243🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I looked for years for a decent .250 Savage. Finally saw a Ruger 77 NIB at the Big Reno Show but thought the guy wanted $50 too much. Passed.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
Yes. A lefthanded Winchester Model 70 stainless in .270 for $700 at a Dallas Market Hall gunshow 20 years ago.
Nope
Yes Ansultz 22 pawn shop asking $325.00 probably could have gotten it for $275.00. Sometimes I'm brain dead.
Browning citori 16ga upland special

Was in college and didn't have the dollars
Many years ago and I still see it in my mind. An old brass spool Savage 99 take down. It had a chunk out of the forend so I didn't buy it.
Single six in 32 mag. 10 inch barrel. I was a moron.
Yes, Several! memtb
Just two days ago. Two S&W consignment guns in very good condition and very fairly priced, a 4" M581 and a M58. Tempted to go back...
Condition is everything.

Have passed on many POS examples of guns I have wanted over the years.
People asking prices of 95% condition on 50 60% condition guns.
Fuuuuuk you......
Sit on it till a rube comes along for you.

Part of the game is the ability to pass on something.
A really nice Remington model 7 rolling block chambered for the 25/20 single shot at Dixie Gunworks in about 1978. I think they wanted $1000 for it which was a big chunk of change but we had a two year old and you know how that goes……
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I looked for years for a decent .250 Savage. Finally saw a Ruger 77 NIB at the Big Reno Show but thought the guy wanted $50 too much. Passed.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

A few months ago

Friend of a friend owns a shop. Was in the neighborhood so swung in to look. .250 in a 77 ultralight. Don’t need anymore deer sized rifles. Didn’t look at the price. A week later decided to heck with it, would buy it no matter the price. Drive the 40 miles there, it’s not on the rack. Call my buddy’s buddy up, “yeah, it sold this morning”.

Regret not grabbing a pristine Ithaca 37 in 16 guage, early 50s version. $300. Went back the next day. Gone.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Yeah! But I’m making up for it! 😉

Yes, many in the past. That is not the case these days.
Walked away from an absolutely gorgeous Dakota 76. It had the best piece of walnut I've ever seen.
The price was extremely good-- $1500.
It was in 7-08 and I was looking for a feather weight 270 so i walked...not the first stupid decision ive ever made
This one haunts me every day.
Lotsa deals passed up over the years.

One I remember was at the Riveria gun show in Vegas years ago. I had shot my wad over a couple days including 2 NIB Winchester

63.s

Started talking to a tall fella in a big top hat.... he offered a '73 Winchester in .22 Long that had been through his shop and it

was a bang up job. Customer did not want it and I could have had it for $ 1700.00.' Course I had spent several thousand $$$$.

Yeah , you guessed it it was the big guy.
Was on the hunt for a push feed 270 featherweight for years happened upon one at the big pawn rusted to hell north of $6bills left that kept looking stumbled into a xtr featherweight finally ok shape $4bills
Couple of years ago, LGS had a lightly used 20ga. Benelli Montefeltro in their used rack for $499! Beautiful wood, action smooth and fit like a glove. Checked my wallet and didn’t have enough so I figured I’d come back the next day and grab it. Of course it was gone. Guy behind the counter said it sold about an hour after I left the day before! Heartbreaking as I had sweet dreams that night of all the happy days we’d spend together in the upland fields! Learned a valuable lesson that day. Ask if you can do a down payment!

Every now and then I slap myself for that one!

Elk Country
Looked at a very nicely done FN 98 commercial-actioned rifle with double set trigger and decent quality French walnut in 358 Norma Mag at a pawn shop in a small NV farming community. It was offered to me for $500.00, and I flinched and left without it.

I went back after eating lunch to buy it and started to walk into the shop as a smiling guy walked out with it. frown
I’ve sold some that haunt me!
I didn’t pull the trigger on a Keith Stegall rifle quick enough for 1200.00 bucks years ago.
Yep. Marlin 93. Case hardened receiver. 32 Special. $500. Went back 2 days later after I smartened up and it was gone...
Shiit happens I found a xtr featherweight year before last for $400 same place I bought 25 box of high brass Winchester #4 for $8 recent same place less than 6 months ago had 20 cans of h4831 I bought 1 can🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
There’s been plenty but I got second chance at one. My buddy was looking for pre safety JM Marlin 444 and asked me keep an eye out because I’m on the road all day , I found one in shop an hour or so from home that was a 1980 looked like new and never even had scope mounted on it. I called him and it was a little more then he wanted to spend so I left. Somehow on the way home I convinced myself I wanted that rifle. The next day I drove all the way back and it was gone! Now fast forward a couple months and I walk in and it’s back on the rack so I’m thinking something is up and asked the owner, he said every year for Christmas he gives all the employees $500 towards any gun in the store and the gun smith that has been there 40 years picked the 444 and was paying off the balance so he could take it home when that morning another gun came in he had been after forever so he put the 444 back and I happen to walk in about 10 minutes after it hit the rack , it went home with me this time .
Ya.... oh this is a good one.....

My god parent died.... I always called him Uncle Bob.... super guy, super outdoors guy, loved fishing and hunting big game... nice service. Funny thing, at Uncle Bob's service.... the pastor kept saying "Robert" this and "Robert" that.... It was the first time I ever herd him referred to by the name his mother gave him.... which was Robert.

After chat with the family.... no hurry to get back to the office... I stopped buy Scheels.... walked thru looking for any deals on cammo or optics....

I walk past the gun section.... long wall full of rifles of every size and shape.... I just glanced... as I was not needing any more guns.

One piece, about 3/4 way down had a yellow tag on it.... The only yellow tag on the whole rack.... Ok, Ok.... I go look. I have too...

Here it was a bolt gun.... really good wood. I mean really nice wood.... Kimber in a .257 Roberts marked down to $850

I am still kicking myself for walking out without that gun. I had the money...

RIP Uncle Bob....
I kinda did that today, but then I thought..."What am I REALLY do with a Sendero in .17 Remington?"
A Dakota model 10. 7x57. $1400, I walked in w/ half of that. LGS owner was a friend of a friend, would have taken payments. I had young kids at home- couldn’t pull it off. Instead he sold me a model 70 Classic Featherweight, 270, w/ a Leupold 2x7. Still have it as my primary rifle.
Yes .. sometimes especially in the younger days you just don't have the cash at the time
Several years ago I walked into a gun shop and they had a very well done custom Krag that had been rebarreled to 25-35. It had a Redfield scope on it, dont remember the price. Rode around for a couple of hours and did a lot of deep thinking about the rifle. Went back and it was gone......
Yep. Green Top in Richmond Va had three Tula SKSs that were near mint. At the time, something like $495 each. They were immaculate. I decided not to buy, left the store, got about 10 miles down the road, decied to go back and buy one, and by the time I got there someone was buying all three. Has bothered me to this day.
if it is still there Id buy it w the intention of re-barreling. Though Id sooner choose 6mm Creedmoor chamber these days, for the fast twist. Mind you Id keep the original barrel for a switch barrel.
If i found a good action in 7.62 x 39 or 6.5 grendel I may pick that up to re-barrel to 6mm ARC with the youth hunter in mind. 6mmARC bolt action may be a good rifle chambering for one & all really.
Pristine 1948 Commercial FN M98 in 6.5 x 57 made on order for a US Army Captain with the factory paperwork. $275 at a nearby gun show a couple of decades ago.

Ruger No. 1 in either .270 or .280 at Ebels in Falmouth, MI. $700 6-7 years ago.

Ruger No. 1 7x 57 at LGS.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I kinda did that today, but then I thought..."What am I REALLY do with a Sendero in .17 Remington?"

I am a bastard for useless deals.
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by ltppowell

I am a bastard for useless deals.
Same here but yeah…. That sounds like the king of useless deals/useless rifles.
Left a few behind because of low or nonexistent funds. I especially remember a model 12 heavy duck,a model 21 in excellent condition and a Parker with a second set of barrels . Still regret selling a 4 inch diamondback to pay the rent and we wound up moving the next month anyway.
A LNIB Springfield M1A for $375. But that was 30 years ago, and I was close to broke at the time.
Yes, I did. About 33 years ago, I was looking at S&W model 57 6-inch 41 mag. I went back two days later, it was sold. One of these days I might find another.
Nah, I can always find something I really want to buy. Might cost me, but that's OK.
Tikka SS in 6.5 x 55 Swede. New in a rack with many others all at the going rate back then which was pretty affordable.
Passed on it a couple times, and then learned that they quit importing that chambering.
Went back soon after, gone......

Oh, well, since then I got one in .260. Love it but still wished I would have grabbed the Swede.
A few years ago, Springfield Armory bought a basement of unused parts in Italy and assembled a bunch of new Garands.

One came into the local Sportsman's Whse. $600 IIRC. I looked and walked away................because it was in 308. A Garand is supposed to be 30-06.....right?

I wonder what it would be worth today?
Saw a perfectly clean Rem 700 European 243 three different times priced at $400. Yah, should have grabbed it.

On here, in maybe 2011 or 2012 there was a 700 375H&H that lingered wayyyy too long for $500.

Selling several that are more haunty though! Easy come easy go.
Just one. It was a Ruger Mini 14/30 but chambered for .243, an experimental test gun made by Ruger. Only one ever made. One of a kind. I don't remember what the price was, but do recall it wasn't outrageous. I've kicked myself far too many times. Time for someone else to do it. I know my reasoning at the time was that I had a .223 that wouldn't keep 3 shots on a paper plate at 100 yards.
Numerous .30cal carbines for $150-$175, back in the day. Waiting for a cheap one.
No, the only one was like new and offered for 1/3 cost of new gun. This was professional grade magazine rifle from Heym kaliber .416 Rigby. Double square bridge Magnum Mauser action, kool stuff. It even had cartridge retention ridges so bullets would not hit front of magazine box under recoil. Walking away was correct decision on my part because it would still be in original shape had I bought it.
The brother of a Model 71 Winchester that belonged to Jack Wilson was sold to a local guy. The rifle was a carbine and a twin to the one that I own. It is not in any kind of shape but it belonged to a very famous guide who led a hunter to the still current world record Dall sheep and is pictured in some of the pictures of that sheep on recovery. The local guy sold it to somebody else and its connection to history is probably lost.

Two years ago Phil Shoemaker (458 Win) on here was selling some of his rifles. He had a Jeffery in 404 Jeffery and Jack O'Connor's Adolf Minar stocked Springfield in 30/06(which he still owns btw) for sale. His selling price was more than fair but I didn't have it at the time of the sale. I would sell a [bleep] of rifles to get that rifle. John Jobson wrote a story about how he chased that particular rifle for 30 years and he finally was able to purchase it and then died soon after. His wife sold it and somehow Phil who creeps auctions like a boss and knows his stuff like a boss found it. I just think that to own one of Jack's rifles that has so much history and yet has a quality and rarity like that rifle would be worth the price of admission. But that is just me.
Originally Posted by Slavek
No, the only one was like new and offered for 1/3 cost of new gun. This was professional grade magazine rifle from Heym kaliber .416 Rigby. Double square bridge Magnum Mauser action, kool stuff. It even had cartridge retention ridges so bullets would not hit front of magazine box under recoil. Walking away was correct decision on my part because it would still be in original shape had I bought it.
^^^^^
Masar Cardonas sockpuppet Google fu total bullschitt story....
Just like anything else he post about firearms.....

Lays out post in broken english missing connector words on purpose to keep up the facade.
But yet use,s the term "kool stuff" which you deliberately have to over ride spell check on...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
^^^^^^
Our "Albanian" moron Masar Cardonas sockpuppet " Slavek"...
That thinks he is all sooooo clever....

🤣🤣🤣
One that stings the most was a pristine 32 inch barreled, Fox A grade in 20 gauge for $1,000.

I can remember thinking 32 inches was too long for a SXS. What the heck was I thinking?

It was long time ago but it was still bargain, went back the next day and it was on the shelf behind the register with a deposit ticket on it. Seeing it again made it even harder to walk away the second time.
In a good friend’s gun shop about 3 years ago. He had a 1978 Red Pad No 1, unfired, in 7mm REM Mag that he was selling on consignment. Asking $900. Would have sold it to me for $875. I just didn’t have the cash. Now it would bring almost double that!
Family member calls me and asks me if I want a Winchester 70 in.243 he found in a pawn shop…… not really my jam and he goes home looks up the serial number and finds it’s a pre 64.

I tell him to go back and get it …. Sold… also it was $400…. A few years ago when the market was softer.
Kinda regret sending down the road the AC code Walther G43 may 44 manufacture I had.
Oh well...
Just steel and wood....
Practical use attachments to a firearm has been my mindset all along.
Emotions don't come into play for me with a inanimate object.

I would have about 85 95 long guns and about 30 35 pistols and one revolver if I never horse traded or sold anything since age 16.
I couldn't fathom having that many guns or storing them or moving them all over the U.S. while in the Army on a PCS move.
Or the ammo issues worrying me about that many firearms.

Or simply picking which gun to go hunt whatever with at times.
Each long gun I have right now has a specific use for x season and what is gonna be hunted.
Having 2 center bolt rifles kinda bugs me for rifle season deer hunting.
Been contemplating selling off the custom 98k 8mm mauser.
But it is also good pairing with my mod 70 ot6 in historical ways in my mind.

Others MMV of course on keeping guns and their is nothing wrong with that at all.

👍👍👍
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Been on a search for a model 70 308 for 2 years featherweight in mind.Well I stumbled across a model 70 stealth yesterday 308 heavy barrel 26in tube vortex outfit scope $850.My sole purpose was to find 12 yr old daughter a decent 243 not plastic scchit so I left it.The damn thing has haunted me all day I’ve already got a model 7 308 and I’m at piece with it need to find daughter the 243 she wants.She said she’d borrow her brothers model 70 243 but that ain’t right she’ll have her own in some form.
Yeah, about 25 years ago I was looking through the used gun rack at a small gun shop on Long Island and saw a very nice Savage 99 in .300 Savage. It was one of the older ones with the rotary magazine and counter. Everything checked out on it. No scratches or dings. Just a little honest wear on the finish. Price was fantastic, less than $500.00. I almost bought it. A few days later I went back to get it, and it was gone.
Originally Posted by Savageguy
Yes Ansultz 22 pawn shop asking $325.00 probably could have gotten it for $275.00. Sometimes I'm brain dead.

Man, you really messed up.

15 years ago M-15 scratches, bumps mechanically perfect $125.

Colt Huntsman 308 $350, 90s.

M-12 20ga. 5-6 years ago. Looked like a shed gun. Light surface rust,
Wood bare and bleached, salvageable. Perfect inside $195.

2 weeks ago, Kimber 1911, 35 miles away. Finish bad $350. Didn't go
look. Should have.

Love to get a screaming deal on a wore or aesthetically abused quality
gun. You get to enjoy the quality function at a bargin, with no worry
about hurting it. My nice guns are a PITA to use.
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
A Winchester model 21 in near unfired condition. A widow was selling off her husbands gun collection because she didn't want guns in her house. A Sheriff's deputy friend of mine was selling them for her. She wanted $250.00 for the model 21. This was 1969 and I was just married and broke. I had to pass.

Same here in '69. If they were selling riverboats for a nickel back then, all I could do is run up and down the bank hollering "Ain't that cheap!"
Yeah, couple come to mind I still think about. One was a Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm 08 I lost in a divorce around 2001. Really nice factory creakote bronze, redfield scope that shot lights out. I ran a cross it a few years later on the used rack at a gun shop. My guess ex needed money. It was still in great shape but shop wanted a ton for it. I thought to myself at the time, doesn’t make sense to buy the same gun twice. If I had it to do over I’d have paid the 700 bills or more can’t recall and got my gun back.

The second was a Browning A Bolt in 284 Winchester on the used rack at Carter Country in Houston, the one of 59/Southwest freeway.

I’m sure there were more, but those two come to mind first.
About 40 yrs ago a fellow had a Remington 600 with a mannlicher stock in 350 rem mag at the Palmer gun show. Why I walked away from that has haunted me ever since!!
Win. M70 XTR in .257 Roberts, 99%+ condition, ... $475. I had one - didn't think I needed another. I'm STILL kicking myself over that one..
Earlybrd: Literally, several hundred times!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Passed on one of these 20-25 yrs ago for $750 in a pawn shop. Safari 284 cal.

A Springfield 1903 rebarreled with a fully fluted 6.5mm Gibbs barrel for $450... Yeah i should have snagged it up.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Passed on one of these 20-25 yrs ago for $750 in a pawn shop. Safari 284 cal.

Might have had a salt wood stock.
99 with a k2.5 and stith for 350
99engraved, octagonfor 650
Winchester .22 witha 2 foot scope for100

Also a few I should have left but didnt. Like everyone
One that really wasn’t speacisl as far as purpose , but was first short barreled over under I had ever seen .
Used to be a gun shop in Harrisonburg called sportsman specialties .
First shop that I’m aware of that specialized in tactical weapons in the area .
He had a Beretta over under with 18” barrels that came from NYC swat team .
It was marked as such and thought about it and thought about it till it was too late .
The one I have now is a Condor , 18”. barrel’s with an upside of screw in chokes , but safety has to be operated after first firing to fire second barrel .
Kind of a pisser , but is what it is .
Kenneth
Freedom Arms 454 w/45 Colt Cylinder.
Luckily a friend bought it. I may even get to shoot it someday... lol
I’d never seen a Dakota model 10 until I walked into a high end gun shop and they had two of them. A .250 Savage and a .270. A Ruger model 1 didn’t compare well to either of those lively Dakota 10’s. Shoulda, coulda, woulda, but didn’t.
There have been a few. Engraved Savage 99 303 for $350, just seperated from first wife, might as well have been #5,000.
Pre-64, model 70 375H&H. Walked away....darn. MTG
Back in 1970 or 71 had some college classes with a guy that needed some spending cash. Wanted $40 IIRC for his Winchester pump .410 Said like new. Couldn’t afford it.
Gun show in Colorado Springs in 94/95. Saw an extremely well done custom Mauser with a classic sporter stock. $400 and the dealer said it was the best deal at the show, a consignment that the seller set the price. Went to get $ at a nearby ATM and it was gone when I came back. Years later after reading Micheal Petrov’s book did I recognize that rifle I noticed was likely a custom Minar stocked rifle…same lines, classic in every way, and he was local to Colorado Springs….still think of that one once in awhile….
Stopped in a shop in South Georgia coming back from rabbit hunting. I was tired of schlepping my heavy Remington war production Browning A5 20ga. I was looking for a Franchi 48AL. I found a very svelte 20 ga SxS. The action was very tiny and the case hardening was beautiful. I never heard of Ugartechea so I put it back on the rack. The $700 price seemed a little steep for a no name shotgun. When I got home and researched it a little more. I knew I screwed up.

I love Remington 600s, so when Remington came out with 673 I wanted one. The price was about $700. I couldn’t scrape up the money for one and hoped I would find a used one. When they were discontinued the price initially dropped. I kept getting out bid on gunbroker. I found a used one in a pawnshop that’s owned by a friend. She told me I could have it for cost. $400. It was in the one caliber that I didn’t care for. 300Saum. It sat on the shelf for a month. I finally decided to get it. I walked in and went to the rack to get it. It was gone. I asked about it and there was a guy standing there doing the paperwork on it.
3 that come to mind...

a Sears Model 94, re-barreled to .25-35, at the old Jensens Custom Ammo, for $105 (Tucson)

a very nice looking Model 99 in .250 Sav for $325 at a gun show in CA.

a model 64 re-chambered to .25-35AI.
I can think of two. They were in 243 Winchester, a cartridge I had not yet come to appreciate.
My stories sound like others have posted about being financially tighter times with little kids at home. Missed a few good to great deals.

One a pre 64 Westerner in 264 Win Mag that had been re-barreled for $350.

Another was a 4” model 629 Smith and Wesson for a reasonable price.

I can’t complain as I’ve scored a lot of deals over the years though
Originally Posted by Redneck
Win. M70 XTR in .257 Roberts, 99%+ condition, ... $475. I had one - didn't think I needed another. I'm STILL kicking myself over that one..

Did the same thing a couple weeks ago cuz the stock was bit short. I'm such a dumbass!
A Savage model 99 in 22 hi power. $175. I had in my hands and the shop owner talked me out of it ,saying you'll never find ammo for it. I still get sick to my stomach thinking about it
1894 Winchester made in 1902, thing was 95%, for real. When died he gave it to me..and like a fugkin retard I gave it to my sister because she felt cheated . That was a world class blunder.
Yeah the gun show , forgot about that .
There was a fellow at a show long time ago that made Gatling guns .
This one was 30-06 , and done really nice , a little fancy for my liking ,
A lot of brass in spoked wheels and I believe the feed was brass also .
All highly polished .
Don’t remember dimensions, but barrels were long and it was a big boy .
10,000.00 at that time , that was probably somewhere 30-40 yrs ago .
I looked and looked and came back the next day and looked again , but man that was a lot of money for something I would probably only ran a couple of mags through .
Don’t remember what mags of capacity it had .
Maybe somebody here has better info on it.
Still think about it from time to time .
Kenneth

Would have made a crowd pleaser in Portland 😀
Weatherby Athena Grade III 20 gauge O/U

Spotless gun. Went to pick up one gun. That's all the money I took. Stupid, STUPID, STUPIIIIIIIIIIID !!!!!!!!
© 24hourcampfire