Home
Tell us about it.

Me, I haven't, but I dated a woman who had a daughter by a guy whose family was VERY well off, to the tune of 100's of millions of dollars.They owned an Insurance company that operated all over North America/Europe/++, insuring ships/oil companies/federal/state stuff.

The guy was no father to the daughter whatsoever, he claimed the woman got pregnant by him thinking she'd get a lot of money from him.
She asked for and got $800 per month child support. His parents and Grandparents had nothing to do with Bridgett.

He got $19K per month spending money, his residence, the penthouse whole top floor overlooking the beach in Honolulu and cars/plane all paid for. The $19K per month was solely spending money.
Pretty sporty !!

Another guy, Steven, my younger brothers party buddy received $9K+ per month his Dad was a stock market and real-estate [vast # of apartments][land developer] guy around Cinncinati, Ohio.
Steven was a great guy, funny as could be and wheeled and dealed in high dollar cars.

Anybody know one of these Lucky Types?
President Trump book Art of the Deal, he called them the lucky sperm group kids.

Speak now or forever hold your piece
No but I’ve known a few guys that married or were born into families with large farms and land. Not a bad deal.

I can’t imagine the kind of trust funds that you described. I’d hate to think how I would have turned out with that kind of money at 18 and never having had to go through and be toughened up from getting up in the morning and deal with work or bosses that I didn’t like and other struggles. At an older age where I could enjoy and appreciate it with some life experience what a benefit.
As a young teenager, I asked my dad for a dollar. "A dollar!!" he said, "what did you do with the one I gave you last month"? So to answer your question... yes, me.

BP...
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
No but I’ve known a few guys that married or were born into families with large farms and land. Not a bad deal.

I can’t imagine the kind of trust funds that you described. I’d hate to think how I would have turned out with that kind of money at 18 and never having had to go through and be toughened up from getting up in the morning and deal with work or bosses that I didn’t like and other struggles. At an older age where I could enjoy and appreciate it with some life experience what a benefit.

The first guy I mentioned, his day consisted of a few tokes of the best weed money could buy, quicky shower, breakfast, then a drive in one of his ferrari/lambo,, or have his Captain take him for a yacht ride. Always a hot babe or five around, $$,.

I've known some friends born into land and business families, someday they'll be set financially.
Originally Posted by boilerpig1
As a young teenager, I asked my dad for a dollar. "A dollar!!" he said, "what did you do with the one I gave you last month"? So to answer your question... yes, me.

BP...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I know one guy. He receives $16k a month just for fun money. He’s a solid dude that you wouldn’t know is a trust fund baby. Extremely generous with his close friends and does some cash gifts to people he meets that need some help up.

He’s traveled the world a few times, but in a low key way - Backpack, hostels, back country, and tries to immerse himself in the local culture.

He says he’ll never get married, but has a long term girlfriend.

🦫
Lived next door to a kid from Mexico that was attending TCU. His allowance was 40K a month... BTW, he flunked out of TCU.
We are all God’s trust fund babies.
Some on my Mom’s side of the family ate in this demographic. One if my cousins was able to basically retire at 30. For pure entertainment he built a multi million dollar home in Isle of Palms, S.C. That side of the family is as weird as they are rich.
Originally Posted by DMc
Lived next door to a kid from Mexico that was attending TCU. His allowance was 40K a month... BTW, he flunked out of TCU.

Cartel fund

Lol

🦫
Originally Posted by slumlord

smile
I didn't know him but I met L. Irvin Barnhart on safari in Cameroon once. For those that don't know who he is, he was a very well known big game hunter that won the Weatherby Trophy. Hunted all over the world. He was an orphan and got adopted by a couple that was big time into oil. So he was raised in a very rich way and never had to work. He filled his years hunting and fishing. When I met him he was as down to earth as an oilfield roughneck and a heck of a nice guy. He could afford the best and could have been in the rich high society circles but he preferred a safari camp in Africa.
Originally Posted by DMc

DANG, $40K..

The guy Steven I mentioned, $2300 per week and not a bill in the world, that's a lot of money to this po-boy.

Bridgett/Daughter of $19K month guy, she [11 years old] spent six weeks of her summer in Honolulu with her biological dad. Everything I know of the guy came through her.

Old Hat would give it all to God.

🦫
A good friend of mine is born into some $$.
But you’d never know. He did 20 years in the marines, then little time as a firefighter.
Now he just works out and lives a cushy life in Florida.
His parents business grosses million a day.

My old neighbor, Canadian who came to the desert as a snow bird for few weeks a year, was a self made millionaire. Before he retired, that summer I remodeled his house. He only Spent one season down here as could only play so much golf or lay by the pool. Sold his house and bought thousands of acres to start a farm.
He was one of those guys that you’d never know he had more money than he knew what to do with. Went to a nice dinner one night. He was wearing sweat pants. Lol.
A car dealership has his picture on a wall that says not to judge costumers by their appearance. I guess he went in to truck dealer, looking like a hobo, couldn’t get help. But the Guy that helped him ended up selling him 6 trucks that day.
Half the worthless kids with rich farmer parents around here.
My stepdaughter has a trust fund.... her family is very wealthy and her grandfather died young and left her a trust fund...
I don't know the specifics but it's in the many of millions. She is a nurse and works when she want's.
Life is different with that kind of safety net
I worked with a guy that married the daughter of the founder/owner? of Baker-Hughes oil rig company. Thats's Hughes as in Howard Hughes. It's been a while so I don't know if he is still married to her.
I know a guy and have met his wife whose maiden name is Zamboni. Yes, that Zamboni. She is a serious Arabian horse chick winning big events in the 10s of thousands of dollars. She didn't want for much when she was a kid. She grew up with my wife's horse trainer.
Originally Posted by ol_mike

smile

Welp, pretty disappointed watching that. Never did figure out how the monkey statue or the fire extinguisher fit in to the sermon, but honestly only caught a few words here and there.
There’s a few on here

4th, 5th generation old retards

Daddy Retard dropped a farm in their lap

Everything goin to hell outside, moron yakkin about his favorite mustard and Gunsmoke episode
Had a customer when I was in the Gun Industry that got a $35k a month allowance. His Dad was some type of Trucking Co magnate. He was always broke at the end of the month and sold most of his guns.
I think he finally offed his self by drug overdose.

Had another couple of TX Oil Business trust funders.
One got like $10K per month and the other one probably $20k

One of those two ended up becoming one of my best friends.
One of the best guys I’ve ever known. Lived to hunt & fish.
Unfortunately he dropped dead at an early age from a heart attack.
My old man always said he wished he was born rich instead of so gawd damn good looking lol.
No but my wife provides everything since I quit working.

It’a a pretty good gig.
[Linked Image]

In the reverse direction, a fool and his money soon part.
Originally Posted by Clarkm
[Linked Image]

In the reverse direction, a fool and his money soon part.
I’m no statistician but that graph seems to indicates that both income and net worth increase with IQ…
Known a few trustafarians, never for more than a couple years.

Fun folks with a pile of free time, good skiing friends.

People that have never known hardship come across as shallow after a bit.
Spent my first two years in college on a campus full of them...

all NY Jewish kids....
Nope
Dozens of them in this town. Most of the time grandpa was a successful oil entrepreneur, daddy is in the family business, but no where as smart as his dad, and the third generation just lives off the $.

That’s not to say there’s a few around town that are grinding out their own paths.

One of my best friends down here is a trust funder. To this day he doesn’t believe I grew up with 4 channels on the TV.
I've known some rich people. Net worth just under a billion. B not M.

They all worked and worked hard even if it wasn't in the fam business. Don't know any that had an "allowance" of sorts.
when I had an occupation, I used to say "Thanks God for rich people, if it werent for them I could stay home and starve".
Got this guy in his early 40s I run into a couple times a week. Was adopted by some rich folks when he was younger. He gets whatever he wants. He was given 400k just as a graduation present. All bills are taken care of etc, only thing he buys is alcohol...starts drinking about 3pm and doesnt stop til sometimes 3am. Wife has been putting up with it because of the money involved, she likes her country club lifestyle plus I think she's just waiting on him to kick the bucket due to his large life insurance policies. Been dropping 12k for a month long summer camp for his daughter every year. Honestly, its probably a good break for her to not be around him. Joker cries broke all the time, wants you to think he's poor. One month he said his bartab at the country club was 1400.
My BIL s last wife was ultra wealthy. Her dad started an Ag Chemical company out of his garage and has several big chemical manufacturing facilities. They had one daughter and the.other sister had one son. They are both worthless.
I've known a few Ho Chunk that stood to receive something like $200K from the tribe for turning 18 AND graduating HS. Couple just couldn't work the graduation part into their busy schedule, lol.

Don't know him well, but know through a good friend a guy thats set for life by virtue of being born. Nice enough guy the two or three times I've been around him but he doesn't 'get it'. Knocked up two girls within months of each other. The one he chose to marry is a nightmare of a human and the less attractive to boot. The other is living in a house provided by Daddy with a monthly allowance, with the stipulation she and the kid stay away and don't exist. Guy has zero contact with his young son, never met him.
By no means do I share this story with any pride, but its about the only trust-fund types I've ever known.

My great uncle was a literal billionaire. His kid were the trust-fund types. I'd only met them once or twice, but they were much to good for us. They were into riding and had an urban farm full of $250,000+ horses. He made his money in trucking initially back in the 1950s and 1960s--diversified in other forms transportation and made his money continue to grow.

My grandfather was his partner initially. My grandfather did all the driving when they were starting out. My grandfather, a WWII Navy veteran who took shore-leave in Nagasaki a few days after the bomb was dropped, got very ill with cancer in around 1962 and was unable to work, but still owned half the business. While he was getting cancer treatment, my great uncle transferred all the assets and shut down the partnership. I believe my grandfather died in 1963. Supposedly, on his death bed, he asked him to take care of my father who was seven years old at the time. Ironically, the entire time my great uncle was having an affair with my dad's mother. She had actually planned to divorce my grandfather and run off with his brother, but once he was diagnosed with cancer she thought it would be in poor taste to have him served then so she waited him out until he died. My great uncle didn't wait for her and moved on. My father's mother ended up being quite the.....shall we say, promiscuous creature. My father was living independently by the time he was 14 years old while his mother ran off. I believe my parents married when they were 16 or 17 years old and they made a life for themselves and were quite successful for a couple of kids that more or less raised themselves. I don't think my father saw his uncle from 1963 until about 1996 at a family reunion, where I met him for the first time.

I never wanted nor received a dime from that man. Neither did my father. My father's sister and her kids did take money from him and kissed his ass. I believe he put those kids through college. The rumor around my hometown was that my great uncle was her biological father.

The last I heard was after he died, the kids have sold off most of the interest he had and spent a vast majority of the money he acquired, but I really don't know for sure and frankly don't give a damn.
Went to school with a lot of them, didn't really hang out with any of them.
We have one running Canada right now—it’s a mess.
I have know a few over the years. some you would have thought that they were beggars.

some from hi to low in what they received monthly.

$1,600,000
$1,000,000
$900,000
$50,000
$40,000

the one with the larger amount was continually being hit up for money from clubs and charities. I bump into him every year and we chat a bit.

the one on the lower end, like to collect vehicles.

the only jerk in the group was the one who was second from the top in money received monthly.
efw ruined the thread, OMG that music makes me sick. smile

drop point, as they say, you can pick your friends but not your family.
Went to military school with a couple of senator's kids, a few guys whose dad's were former German officers still hiding out in South America, son of the CEO of Ralston Purina, dude's whose parents had big mansions on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago, kids whose parents were both working two jobs in order to keep them in the school and, lest I forget, a couple of Martha's Vineyards a$$holes from Massatwo$hits. Sort of a broad spectrum.
No, but once worked for an exclusive neighborhood (suburb?) in a large town.
One set of brothers (3) could EACH write you a check for over $65 million as that was their liquid assets. Their businesses ran into multi billions!

In the town, the nicest folks were the top of the heap. The wealthiest.
Want a "rich a$$"? Try dealing with those who had amassed just enough wealth to afford to live in the area!
Rich, damned proud of it and wanted you to know just how wealthy THEY were.
This seems like a question wabigoon should have asked ... maybe he has sometime in the past.
The two people I know who grew up with money, and now have all they need are sorry humans. One is a raging drunk who hardly leaves the house, the other is on and off a druggie, with a criminal bent that has him spending big bucks on lawyers regularly to avoid prison time. In my experience, humans do better when they have to make their own way, and the very best people are those who have struggled some in life, in one way or another. Adversity seems to create strength and humility. Easy living, not so much.
When I was in high school in the 1970s, a friend of mine inherited just shy of a half million dollars from his wealthy grandmother. Unfortunately, he wasn't allowed to touch it till he became 18. Unfortunate, because the broker who was holding it was given total control over how it would be "safeguarded" till then, and he invested it in such a way (high yield "junk" bonds, as I recall) that 90% of it was lost by that time.
A friend and his three siblings inherited $800K+ each, the oldest daughter hung onto hers, other three were broke within five years.
By 'broke' I mean back to their lifestyle before they inherited the money, NOT homeless broke.
A pile of them. Everyone of them is an ass hole, no talent pussy.

The rich folks I know that earned it are some of the nicest people I know.
A couple of trust fund girls in my past. Their monthly payment wasn’t huge but enough to live comfortably on. Both worked but could have sat at home. One might have a kid by me but I don’t know for sure. She was trying to get some engineer from a good Jewish family to marry her when we crossed paths. We had a good time and we’re talking for a couple of weeks then nothing. She disappeared ! Next I heard she was five months pregnant having a baby shower and had gotten married to the engineer. I did a quick calculation in my head and the due date I had gotten through a friend added up to the weekend we’d hooked up. I might have a Jewish trust fund kid smile
What's DFC doing with all his gold coins these days?
None that were lucky that I recall.
The wife has a worthless azzed cousin that throws out the remark regularly that she didn't marry a trust fund baby like my wife did.

Yep, that's me! Grandad left each of his 3 grandsons $10K

Woo-Hoo, where do I get in line for a yacht and Lambo?
My biological dads sister, my biological aunt was married to a lawyer, then judge. They owned a twin prop-shaft airplane.

They and another couple were flying just joy-riding and crashed killing all of them.
Their son [only child][I never met] inherited a couple of million dollars at around age 19. He took several of his friends to Hawaii for an extended stay, over time it was like 20 people that he paid their way over and back.
BIG PARTY, lasted about a year or a little more, he came home empty handed.
T

Anybody know one of these Lucky Types?
President Trump book Art of the Deal, he called them the lucky sperm group kids.

Speak now or forever hold your piece

I know all kinds of farmers and ranchers, yes.
My brother married into a LOT of land. Whenever her Dad kicks off, they're looking at a high 8 to low 9 figure payday when they dump the acreage.
I dated a girl in college that came from a big farming family that owned a lot of ground in Illinois southeast of St. Louis. She had a sister that moved away and became a pilot, a brother who became an engineer at Boeing, and I believe she ultimately worked as middle management in a manufacturing plant. I don't believe her parents had a lot of liquid assets, but owned and farmed somewhere around 20,000 acres of farmland. Those three will become very wealthy when their farm is ultimately sold off. I've heard ground in that area sells for well over $10,000 an acre these days. You could tell he had really hoped that he would have a son-in-law that would be interested in farming, and I don't blame him having been raised during the end of a multi-generational farm. To this day, I believe my old ex is still single if anybody is looking---probably not worth it!
I have a friend who got 2 million when his parents passed. That's as good as it get's for me.

kwg
Yes, one of the most generous men I have every known. Most of the quoted allowances would be chump change. Has preserved over a million acres across American for all to enjoy. Just looked, it is currently over 2 million. One of them damn Yankees, who even bought the Cornfield at Antietam and gave it to the park system so it would remain hallowed ground and not developed. You name it medical research, education, historic artifacts, like Lafayettes gifts of pistols he gave to Washington. Conservation...Millions of dollars ++++ .... I think around 400 million at last count....to study and preserve land and enrich habitat for wildlife, some of which we hunt. Some of you have most likely killed game on parts of it. Many others have most likely visited and walked on land they bought and gave back to America.

Great guy, who appreciates his good fortune to be born into the right family and feels an obligation to do more than just go to work and live the good life.

There is a coffee table book out there..."From sea to shining sea" that tells the story of: "The American Land Conservation Program and its gifts of more than two million acres of parks, refuges, wildlife habitat and historic sites to the people of the United States." And that is only a small part of the entire picture.

He has little time for fools and many here would think him aloof....We need more like him.
One that I know well was raised by a nanny and grew up around the DuPonts. He was appreciative, but wanted to see what he could do on his own, so he and his wife moved out to Idaho. Two of the best people I know. When he was in his late 50s or early 60s, the family money eventually caught up with him through inheritance. I've always had the utmost respect for him. Great guy and hard worker. Always moving and trying new things.
He's in his late 70s now, lives in Florida, and works in a nursery part time to keep active. Still looking for another business to start.
efw ruined the thread, OMG that music makes me sick. smile

drop point, as they say, you can pick your friends but not your family.

As soon as I saw the thread title that song popped into my head from my daughters boy band phase and I just had to share 🤮
Nope. But my maternal grandfather was quite successful in his day. He owned several businesses but passed away from what is now called ALS when he was young. My mom was three at the time. My grandmother sold off the businesses and was set for the rest of her life. By the time she passes though, it was all spent.
Not a trust fund baby, but I am friends with a guy whose is quite well off. Like closer to "B" money than mere 'M" money.

Works like a hebrew slave on his hunting property, rarely hires anyone to help, and still hunts with the rifle is parents bought him when he was 16.
Drives a F250 with 200K miles on it hasn't bought beef in 17 years. All venison, most of it processed by him and his family.

They literally give away millions a year and most people have no idea.

He has two sons, both have a full time 40Hr a week jobs. It slipped out one night while having cocktails, he had set up each of the boys a GRAT that moved "wealth". But these young guys still work and still raise their family in what would be "modest" means by any measure.
Originally Posted by drop_point
I dated a girl in college that came from a big farming family that owned a lot of ground in Illinois southeast of St. Louis. She had a sister that moved away and became a pilot, a brother who became an engineer at Boeing, and I believe she ultimately worked as middle management in a manufacturing plant. I don't believe her parents had a lot of liquid assets, but owned and farmed somewhere around 20,000 acres of farmland. Those three will become very wealthy when their farm is ultimately sold off. I've heard ground in that area sells for well over $10,000 an acre these days. You could tell he had really hoped that he would have a son-in-law that would be interested in farming, and I don't blame him having been raised during the end of a multi-generational farm. To this day, I believe my old ex is still single if anybody is looking---probably not worth it!

I knew a guy that owned a sizable section of land that he was sure his kids would sell off after his death.

He and I use to set and drink coffee and talk about it, It truly bothered him.

He finally devised a plan to keep that from happening.

Jay Starkey is gone now but we have this to remember him by.

I had an extended period at Oregon State U. and was constantly passing an individual in my wanderings. Finally had a sit down in the Union one day. He was well off and and simply a professional student with about 5 Masters degrees and 3 PhD's under his belt.
Dated a couple.

One young lady whose father was a doctor had set up funds for each of his kids. Investment accounts that provided her an income without ever getting out of bed. Good gal. Hard worker. All her expenses were covered. College and post grad expenses all paid for. No idea how much she had or got monthly. Don't think it was multiple 5-figures. Guessing 30 years ago it was $5k a month.

Another girl I dated in college was similar situation. Her father owned some manufacturing and then died fairly young. Between the holdings and the life insurance, she was set. Everything paid for and money every month. Essentially whenever she wanted it. Another really cute nice girl that really liked me a lot. I was too busy chasing one that wasn't attainable.

Dated another nice young lady in grad school. Father owned one of the large interior ranches in southern BC and was very wealthy. He was also involved in various industries and sat on boards in Vancouver. Wealthy family. All expenses, school etc paid for. Set for life now with a nice monthly stipend.

Ended up dating and marrying a young lady with a net negative worth in debt up to her bum. But it worked out alright in the end.
Originally Posted by 1minute
I had an extended period at Oregon State U. and was constantly passing an individual in my wanderings. Finally had a sit down in the Union one day. He was well off and and simply a professional student with about 5 Masters degrees and 3 PhD's under his belt.

And couldn't change the oil in a lawn mower.

LOL
I had an Army buddy from a very wealthy family in DC. His father was a real-estate developer with a net worth in the hundreds of millions back in the 80s. Their house was on the National Register of Historic Places, and it was full of art work that you'd only expect to see in museums. It also had pictures of his parents with every president since Nixon.

I knew his parents to some extent. They were also kind and would help someone who truly needed it IF they didn't think their assistance would go to waste. They were a class act and were unreasonably kind to me when I was just a raw young buck sergeant. It was clear that they had gone out of their way to educate their son well without letting him turn into a jerk, and they succeeded.

He went to an exclusive private high school, and was the first student to join the Army after graduation instead of going to college since WWII. He made it through the Special Forces Qualification Course a few months before I did, and we served on the same A-Detachment for about a year. He went to work for his father after he got out of the Army, worked his ass off, and made even more money than his father had made, which is saying something. He could have moved in the highest circles of wealth and privilege in DC, but he married a waitress he met in a diner. They had a bunch of kids together and life for them was pretty good for a while.

Unfortunately, he used to commute by helicopter sometimes. One night, a junior pilot flew it into a hillside and killed everyone on board.

Okie John
A few here have mentioned rich folks being nice people, that has been my experience also. Most of them work hard for the finer things in life, they work hard and SMART and they sacrifice along the way.

Some of the most miserable people I've met are construction workers or construction small business owners, who get married constantly and spend every penny they make. Broke by Wednesday needing 'uh check'.
Hear, hear!
One of the executive secretaries at a former employer, who was a real knut, won the lottery for about five million. She bailed, but was back working for the company about three years later. It was poetic.
I work on houses for a lot if very wealthy people, including heirs to Fisher Autobody, Ross Pharmaceuticals and Amway. Another current customer is an older guy and a legit billionaire and is a former United States Ambassador to a country whose name I can't remember and is currently the Republican party chairman for the State of Michigan. Another is the owner of the VanWinkle distillery. All are all very wealthy folks with multiple homes, so I don't see any of them very often.

Another group of people I work around often are the members of a luxury motor coach resort near here. The lots in this place alone with their landscaping, waterfalls, fire features and small-medium structures are usually a million plus, each. Factor in their multi-million dollar coaches and tow vehicles, (Raptor pickups, large cargo trailers with corvettes, Harleys, etc.) And these folks are clearly millionaires, mostly self-made. These folks are mostly friendly and down to earth.
Don’t know that I’ve ever known a trust fund baby. Worked for and around plenty of what I’d consider pretty damn wealthy people. Self made and inherited. Some were pretty cool people that worked hard.

But damned, damned few that were cool by themselves were the same when in a group setting of other richy rich folk.
Known a lotta poor folk like me!!
Quite a difference between people with "old money" & those with "new money" !!!!
A guy I know won the Oregon lottery to the tune of 9 million. Managed his dollars well.

Never really liked the guy much, either before or after the money, despite several attempts on his part to involve me in his hunting and fishing trips. He was the kind of guy who would take a shot at elk way out of his ability to hit, then not go follow up.

Didn’t go down (at 500 yards), must have missed.

He wounded 2 bulls one year with his bow, recovered #3.
Originally Posted by killerv
Got this guy in his early 40s I run into a couple times a week. Was adopted by some rich folks when he was younger. He gets whatever he wants. He was given 400k just as a graduation present. All bills are taken care of etc, only thing he buys is alcohol...starts drinking about 3pm and doesnt stop til sometimes 3am. Wife has been putting up with it because of the money involved, she likes her country club lifestyle plus I think she's just waiting on him to kick the bucket due to his large life insurance policies. Been dropping 12k for a month long summer camp for his daughter every year. Honestly, its probably a good break for her to not be around him. Joker cries broke all the time, wants you to think he's poor. One month he said his bartab at the country club was 1400.

I have a new friend who was drinking $15,000 per month. One day when sober he realize that.

He left his friends and the area and started a little gun business.
Of course, it needs to be understood that being born into wealth (or even modest means) automatically makes a person incapable of being worthwhile. (One of many tenets of the 'fire.)
I know a bunch of them and most of them are very unhappy. Old money trust fund people are cheaper than hippies. New Money ones generally are pretty unhappy as well. One of my kungfu teachers at Harvard was a very wise man. He told me that you want to make enough money not to be limited in opportunity and experience but you don't want to become a slave to money either. Gene saw thousands of incredibly wealthy Harvard Alums and posited that those that live a balanced happy life with somebody who genuinely loves them and has a belief in Christ were the happiest in most of the years of their life.
In high school, trust fund kids were more common than those that weren't. I wasn't one of them but I was friends with many. I got to do some pretty amazing things for a kid of my status.

I dated a gal that ended up on Forbe's list of 100 wealthiest Americans but she fell off a handful of years back. Another girl I knew back then had a father that owned several medical patents. They lived in a house that the father bought in 1978 for nearly 3.5 million dollars. There was no mortgage.
t
A buddy in those times, his father donated something over 1 million dollars of Pillsbury shares as the father was tired of being bothered by both sides in a hostel take over action.

Later on, another guy I ran around with, his father was an early parter with Bill Gates and did some work with Steve Jobes. He sold out both times when the companies became pretty stable. The father lived off the challenge of starting up, the every day drudge of running a business was something he hated.

A guy I ran around with when I was single married a trust fund kid. She had a condo win a very upscale neighborhood that ran nearly $300/month 30 years ago. On top of that her car, insurance, and every expense was paid for as well as getting another $3000/month spending allowance. She was a professional student that had multiple advanced degrees, all paid for by mom and dad. This prevented her from getting job as she was overqualified. So, she went back to school...

Don't know if he was a trust fund baby but I began rubbing elbows with Mike Lindell back when he ran a bar. Fun guy then, still a fun guy now after giving up the lifestyle he once had.

Know a few others that are wealthy but not sure if they were born into it or earned it. One finished building a multi tens of millions dollar house somewhat recently. Another end up in prison for a Ponzi scheme he ran. Glad I didn't take financial advice from him.
Originally Posted by Ringman

I have a new friend who was drinking $15,000 per month. One day when sober he realize that.

$500 a day huh? Whats his poison? Nose beers?
Another guy was born into money... However, he started his own business...as a teenager.... painting lines in parking lots. He would sub out all the work and didn't have his own employees. Then he did the same with asphalting parking lots. Then eventually, he bought his own asphalt and cement companies. He is one of the few that can work on places like the NSA parking areas. The people that do the work there are squeaky clean. Has a big farm down in the Baltimore horse country. Cuts his own fields with a huge tractor mower and still works like crazy doing highway jobs. Has his own clay range on the property and travels to shoots when the mood strikes. Goes on some great vacations with his GF. His only vehicle was a beat up Ford Explorer with over 200,000 miles before he got tired of fixing it....Went out and bought another.

If your are a friend there is little he wouldn't do for you.

Addition: He is worth more than he was born into.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Of course, it needs to be understood that being born into wealth (or even modest means) automatically makes a person incapable of being worthwhile. (One of many tenets of the 'fire.)

grin
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by 5sdad

grin

5sdad was triggered lol. Ed’s commiserating.

I hope you shared Jesus with him.

That is The Great Commission.

It’s not to lollygag with morons like Happy Camper
Originally Posted by hillestadj

Nose beers LOL, walk around looking like you tilted up a frosty mug and got some on your nose. Schitt'll keep an ole hand up all night
Originally Posted by woodmaster81

A guy I ran around with when I was single married a trust fund kid. She had a condo win a very upscale neighborhood that ran nearly $300/month 30 years ago. On top of that her car, insurance, and every expense was paid for as well as getting another $3000/month spending allowance. She was a professional student that had multiple advanced degrees, all paid for by mom and dad. This prevented her from getting job as she was overqualified. So, she went back to school...

That doesn't compute.
Typo
I've known several trust fund babies. The majority were great people and some weren't, just like most other people in the world. I don't begrudge any of them anything. As far as I'm concerned if Great-great-grandad wanted to leave his fortune to his descendants and make it where none ever had to work a day in their lives then that's his business and his money, that's to be admired. It's most certainly not the business of a greedy government that would love to confiscate everything he had.

Envy is a terrible emotion. No one is entitled to someone else's wealth and if someone gained their good fortune because their ancestors wanted them to have it then I'm happy for them, I hope they enjoy it and put it to good use. I wasn't that lucky and have made what I have through my own labor, but I want for nothing.
Bill Cosby:
I said to a guy, "Tell me, what is it about cocaine that makes it so wonderful," and he said, "Because it intensifies your personality." I said, "Yes, but what if you're an azzhole?"

Money, often, does the same thing.............

Someone once said of the professional football players, great wealth creates great character!!!!! NOPE! it exposes it.
Originally Posted by Muffin
Bill Cosby:
I said to a guy, "Tell me, what is it about cocaine that makes it so wonderful," and he said, "Because it intensifies your personality." I said, "Yes, but what if you're an azzhole?"

Money, often, does the same thing.............

Someone once said of the professional football players, great wealth creates great character!!!!! NOPE! it exposes it.

I always heard; ''Hard-times build character'',, just saying.
One of my buddies is a multi-millionaire who earned his fortune by inventing banking software and running his own company. Very generous with Christian charities. He drives a tiny Fiat or his deluxe Harley Davidson. I admire this friend.

Sherwood
Delete
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by drop_point
I dated a girl in college that came from a big farming family that owned a lot of ground in Illinois southeast of St. Louis. She had a sister that moved away and became a pilot, a brother who became an engineer at Boeing, and I believe she ultimately worked as middle management in a manufacturing plant. I don't believe her parents had a lot of liquid assets, but owned and farmed somewhere around 20,000 acres of farmland. Those three will become very wealthy when their farm is ultimately sold off. I've heard ground in that area sells for well over $10,000 an acre these days. You could tell he had really hoped that he would have a son-in-law that would be interested in farming, and I don't blame him having been raised during the end of a multi-generational farm. To this day, I believe my old ex is still singlek if anybody is looking---probably not worth it!

I knew a guy that owned a sizable section of land that he was sure his kids would sell off after his death.

He and I use to set and drink coffee and talk about it, It truly bothered him.

He finally devised a plan to keep that from happening.

Jay Starkey is gone now but we have this to remember him by.

I love it!
Originally Posted by hillestadj

He had to go to the doctor for something. The doc told him he had the liver of a fifty-year-old drunk and would be lucky to see his twenty-eighth birthday.
© 24hourcampfire