Home
Posted By: kevinJ Any roofers on here?! - 09/20/22
Looking for some advice from professional roofers if any on here

Time to get ready for roof on our new house.

What brands you recommend. 3d Asphalt shingles.

Also. Felt or the newer ice and water type membranes. They worth the extra money?

Thanks guys
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/20/22
Here in MN, Ice-n-Water is required at least 2 feet up the roof past the top plate of the exterior wall.

It’s for ice dams and ice back-up. If you don’t have that, or that code, you don’t need Ice-n-Water, you should look for a membrane that replaces old school Tar paper, not Ice-n-Water.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/20/22
GAF is a good shingle. We use Tamko and have zero issues. More about the install, nail placed in the correct area. Ice and water shield across the eaves and in the valleys. We use synthetic underlayment only because it might be a few weeks til a house is shingles. I’d worry more about the quality of the guy installing than the shingle brand.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/20/22
Slumlort roofing service !!

grin
Posted By: slumlord Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/20/22
I’m retared

But I installed Carriage House on mine.

#30 weight rag paper, 304 stainless ringshank 1-1/2 “ nails

W valley

Don’t need ice dam horseshît in Tenn
Posted By: Brad Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/20/22
Originally Posted by jackmountain
GAF is a good shingle.

I used to think that too, but have come to the conclusion GAF is absolute sheit. I wouldn't use them on a dog house, and their warranty is a sham. Ask me how I know smile

For asphalt, I've come to like Malarky 50 year. Definitely a synthetic underlayment w/ ice and water.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/20/22
Originally Posted by slumlord
I’m retared

But I installed Carriage House on mine.
And it looks bytching good too.

Honestly have never seen shingles that look like the ones on his house around.
Things look like overlapping steel plate in ways to me.

Like some armour fish scale suit in the movies and schit.

Speaking of fish...

FISH CAMP!!!!!

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!👍😄😄
Metal roof if you can swing it. Completely superior in every way.
Tin roof- - - -install it and forget it! Shingles suck!
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/20/22
Not a roofer; retired General Contractor but have installed many asphalt roofs.
Depends on your climate.
Is your existing roof 3 tab asphalt?
How long did it last?
What's the roof pitch? Steeper pitch has better drainage and less need for the membrane. Anything under a 4/12 pitch it may be worth it. It won't extend the life of the shingles.
Did you have any recurring leaking issues from snow buildup/ice dams? If so go with a band of ice shield for your first course of underlayment. If not I'd go with 30# felt rather than 15#.
Three tab shingles are almost un-obtainium here. Most have gone to architectural shingles.

I have 3 tab on the service areas of my tile roof and got 25 years out of the originals (but I probably should have replaced a few years earlier) here in the Southwest where we get lots of sun and little rain.
I really don't think the brand matters much with 3 tab, your not likely to get more than 25 years out of any of them.

I would recommend going with a heavier architectural shingle if going the asphalt route.
Three Tab is about a 12 year roof

Even though the package says 20 years

Don’t do it, they’ll only rate about 37-39 mph anyway
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/20/22
It’s a new construction home. So no previous roof on this one to compare to

Would love metal roof but with price increases probably can’t swing it without blowing budget.

So slum. The newer ice and water stuff isn’t worth the extra money in preventing leaks? The stuff they showed me seemed twice as thick as the felt and was like a rubber. Says self heals holes from nails?? In East Tn at the base of the mountains. But we don’t get much snow or ice lol. I’ll definitely look that brand up.

How much should I expect for the carriage house style
Shingles a square materials cost?

Tamko seems like it’s what the big non box store suppliers recommended around here?
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/20/22
If you have to go with shingles get the architectural shingles. Way superior than 3tab. As stated above, worry more on the quality of the person nailing them on. Also, I personally would not hire anyone that uses illegals on their crew. In my experience they don't pay close enough attention to details. I have been called hundreds of times to fix a cheap contractors f-ups.
Posted By: Chance615 Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/20/22
Owens Corning TruDef OakRidge or Duration series.... or GAF Timberline HDZ

Do not get 3 tabs.. They are junk. We won't even install them.

Ensure it is nailed in the "sweet spot" especially if your roof is steep (12/12+) as GAF glue will fail before the others if improperly attached in my experience.

We use iceshield in all valleys, trouble spots (low slope saddles, dead valleys), transitions and porches if lower slope and has the rest of the roof draining over it.

Synthetic Felt should be fine. Although troublesome, drip edge may be in code, so ensure you comply with that. Top it with a quality ridge vent (I recommend Omni Ridge)

I am in Middle Tennessee and have 10 years experience in the roofing business.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/20/22
Do the metal over top the shingles with a membrane and forget about it
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/20/22
Well that would be expensive. Metal over shingles

New construction lol
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/20/22
It’s been over ten years but when I was roofing I always used Owens-Corning.
I put metal in all the valleys although that is no longer fashionable.
I would run the flashing right over the drip edge in case the valley developed a hole the water would run right off in the gutter.
I replaced some roofs that the people would have gotten two or three more years out of of the valleys had been flashed.
I melted down a lot of the old lead vent flashing to make sinkers back in the day.
Posted By: Stammster Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/20/22
Go slate. I grew up in a house made in 1857, with the original roof still on it.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/20/22
Originally Posted by kevinJ
It’s a new construction home. So no previous roof on this one to compare to

Would love metal roof but with price increases probably can’t swing it without blowing budget.

So slum. The newer ice and water stuff isn’t worth the extra money in preventing leaks? The stuff they showed me seemed twice as thick as the felt and was like a rubber. Says self heals holes from nails?? In East Tn at the base of the mountains. But we don’t get much snow or ice lol. I’ll definitely look that brand up.

How much should I expect for the carriage house style
Shingles a square materials cost?

Tamko seems like it’s what the big non box store suppliers recommended around here?
Have you priced a metal roof??

Only $5k higher for me on roughly 40 squares and I won't be replacing in 15 years.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/20/22
You won't be replacing architectural shingles in 15 years either.
I’m just gonna add:

You don’t want some dumbass bang bang bang bang guy up there. Nail guns are great, I used them a lot.

But if Speedy Gonzales is throwing nails down above and below the nail-line with his non givafûckatude work ethic, and also dropping a nail into a drip path, you ain’t got a roof worth 10cents. And then maybe you DO need ice dam that ‘self seals holes’

Another thing is fools cranking regulators up too hi psi.

Good luck

And if you did metal, some dumbfûkk would likely zip your screws in so hot, it would shred the neoprene gaskets of em

I’ve seen a lot of bull crap doing opinions and inspections for title companies and doing leak repairs after Joe Lardass, was too busy camped out in his “shootin house” over a cornpile to come fix a new construction leak on one of his jobs.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/20/22
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Tin roof- - - -install it and forget it!

It always makes me happy, whenever a new building material gains popularity, to see people buy the whole "needs no maintenance" spiel.

Yes please, don't maintain your homes. Just watch some TV. Everything will be fine.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/20/22
tag
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/20/22
Originally Posted by NVhntr
You won't be replacing architectural shingles in 15 years either.
Get em in under the trees in the timber and there is a very good chance.
Posted By: GreggH Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/20/22
At minimum synthetic felt with ice and shield for edges and valleys. 30 year Architectural shingles of most brands are fine.

GreggH
Posted By: gene270 Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/21/22
how old are you?
will you be in this house in 25 years?
cry once pay once....metal roof if at all possible
getting good work know is near impossible in 25 years who knows...
Posted By: JeffA Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/21/22
Good luck

And if you did metal, some dumbfûkk would likely zip your screws in so hot, it would shred the neoprene gaskets of em

When I gotta have a not so competent type runnin' screws he gets the drill with the clutch set to disengage.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
3 tab vs steel on a POS Flip
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: hardway Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/21/22
Serious question... had a buddy that had a new home built.... probably less than 5 years old. They think it was the zero clearance fireplace but he had a fire and the fire dept said if it WAS'NT a metal roof they may have been able to save it. Claimed that the metal roof somehow prevented them or slowed them down fighting the fire??? I have no clue.
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/21/22
Harder to chop thru the roof with metal on it when you have an attic fire.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/21/22
I’m retarded

Oh, we know that !!
Posted By: elkmtb Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/21/22
We have hail big as armadillos here in Texas. If you get 20 out of a roof you are lucky. Most people in my neighborhood had had 3 roofs put on the in the last 10 years. We've only had 1. Insurance also paid for new gutters, screens, fence staining and a new shed where hail went completely thru the roof. No wonder rates are going up. Replacing gutters most of the time is stupid. I couldnt even tell mine were damaged. Lots of golf ball dimpled cars too.

i paid extra for 3 whirley birds and the idiots put all three within about 10 feet of each other on the lowest part of the roof. Made them move them.

Lowes screwed up and delivered a 50 year instead of a 25 year and no body noticed till the job was half done so I got a free upgrade.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/21/22
Malarkey with 6 nails in the nail line. Mine have survived some big winds where neighbors have blown off. I used to use certantied and had good luck with those too. I use 2 runs of ice and water along the bottom here in est idaho too because we get some ice dams. I go at least 60" up on ice and water. Proper nailing is the key to long life.

I had one rental that was only a 4/12 pitch and I did ice and water on the whole roof. Stripping it will be a pain the next time.

Bb
Posted By: SD65 Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/21/22
I like Certainteed Landmark, Malarkey Vista and Atlas Pinnacle for standard architectural shingles.

SD
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/22/22
Some good advice. Thanks guys

Roof is zip system so apparently it doesn’t need underlayment
Of any type per manufacturer

My plan is to still use ice and rain on valleys and potential problem spots. Zip the edge of metal flashing as well. Synthetic everywhere else. Gosh. I sure hope that is good insurance vs just the zip board and tape( is that overkill or a good idea)

Drip edge is required here.

6” gutters. The bigger downspouts( I forget the size vs standard )
Btw. Checked metal pricing today. 2.5x what really good shingles would cost.

The standing seam or whatever the name seamless metal was legit 5x cost of shingles

Wish I could swing it but can’t.
Posted By: Brad Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/22/22

I don't care what Zip says, when I use Zip sheeting I still put an underlayment over it. No way in hell I wouldn't.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/22/22
What was your price on metal?

20 yr paint

I just paid $1100 for 10 squares, screws, ridge capping

Small job

$110 ish a square,
and DIY in a weekend with couple friends, wife and grown kids.
Was told materials would be 250ish a square. But I’m gonna check another roofing supplier and see what they say
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/22/22
Originally Posted by hardway
Serious question... had a buddy that had a new home built.... probably less than 5 years old. They think it was the zero clearance fireplace but he had a fire and the fire dept said if it WAS'NT a metal roof they may have been able to save it. Claimed that the metal roof somehow prevented them or slowed them down fighting the fire??? I have no clue.

The problem with metal roofs is that they act like a lid on a saucepan or tin foil over a baking dish. They hold the heat in and make it a little tougher to let all the heat, smoke and superheated gases escape making for a much more volatile environment inside the residence.
Single story ranch homes aren’t as challenging but any two stories homes with multiple roof lines are a harder nut to crack.
They can also be tricky to “read” so I usually try to vent horizontally and keep my people off the roof if it’s metal.
On top of that, no two metal roofs in our area are installed alike it seems; usually a couple of layers of shingles and purlins underneath but you never know.
Posted By: BobMt Re: Any roofers on here?! - 09/23/22
Originally Posted by Brad

I don't care what Zip says, when I use Zip sheeting I still put an underlayment over it. No way in hell I wouldn't.

than what good is zip sheeting?......bob
© 24hourcampfire