Home
Posted By: Westman Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/20/22
I love me some fried green tomatoes.
I know it's darn near an institution in parts of the south and I'm wondering if any of you have super holy grail recipes you'd share.

The way my mom taught me is to slice 1/4 in thick, dredge in flour, dip in egg and milk wash, and then heavy coat of fine ground saltine crumbs.
Let dry on a rack for an hour and then fry in butter.

Any of you have better ways I'm all ears! I'd like to try some new ways.
Posted By: hanco Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/20/22
Them and squash, deep fried, yummy
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/20/22
Don't discount corn meal as an ingredient in your batter.
It's all good. I have been frying up cucumbers that way for a few years now! The poor man's squash!
Posted By: Westman Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/20/22
It's that time of year. Plenty of green tomatoes in the garden that won't ripen before the first frost....
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/20/22
I just dip them in milk and egg and dredge them in Kentucky Colonel seasoned flour.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/20/22
I’d give someone a couple bushels of greenduhmatas if they wanted them
Hadn't thought of frying cucumbers. Sounds good.
Originally Posted by slumlord
I’d give someone a couple bushels of greenduhmatas if they wanted them

I was thinking you'd have a bunch of 'em!
Posted By: Savageguy Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/20/22
A sprinkle of sugar helps.
2 parts white corn meal
1 part self rising flour
1 egg
Lawry's season salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Add beer to make a thick batter- - - -real beer, not "light"

Diip 1/4" thick slices into the batter, let 'em drip a bit, and deep fry. Serve with a mild horseradish sauce for a flavor boost. Also works for yellow squash and okra.
I've never once had them, it must be a Minnesota thing.
Posted By: jjenkins Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/20/22
Don't want all that heavy coating on them , just slice 1/4 inch thick drag em in flour and pan fry. Something else that is tasty slice a sweet potato 1/4 inch thick drag thru a mix of sugar and cinnamon pan fry in butter.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/20/22
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
2 parts white corn meal
1 part self rising flour
1 egg
Lawry's season salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Add beer to make a thick batter- - - -real beer, not "light"

Diip 1/4" thick slices into the batter, let 'em drip a bit, and deep fry. Serve with a mild horseradish sauce for a flavor boost. Also works for yellow squash and okra.

Yes, the horseradish sauce is a must!!

I like fried pickles too, which is strange because I usually pull the pickles off my sandwiches and burgers.
Made and ate them for the first time this past summer, since I had lots of green tomatoes on the vine. Not bad. I had them with some Marinara for dipping. Nice and tangy.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: worriedman Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/21/22
Hot iron skillet, egg wash, white cornmeal, need to sizzle when it hits the pan. Oh, use bacon grease...
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/21/22
I'd rather eat catschit, fresh catschit.
Posted By: Westman Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/21/22
Originally Posted by Borchardt

Ok by me! LOL
Posted By: gunzo Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/21/22
Thinking good firm green tomatoes not sliced too thick & proper grease temp is the key.

Your batter/coating is up to your taste.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/21/22
Only reason my brother has grown tomatoes for 50+ years. He won’t eat a ripe tomato.

Wife ordered some last week at a fancy place in Columbia. They were sliced kinda thin and fried with a very delicate and crisp coating and topped with some good tasting stuff that had, among other things, little pieces of shrimp and lump crab meat. Delicious .

I like them about any of the ways described here, battered or breaded, as long as it’s not too thick and/or greasy.
Posted By: EMoore Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/21/22

Agreed! Tried em once. Once.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/21/22
Bet you could DIY, slice em and corn-meal them and then sack em up and freeze them like cut up okra.
Posted By: shootem Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/21/22
First saw the title and read it to be Fred Green Tomatoes. Thought “that’s a funny Indian name”.
Posted By: Craigster Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/21/22

You are what you eat.
Posted By: pal Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/21/22
"Fried Green Tomatoes", the movie, is very much worth watching.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/21/22
I'm dont like fried green tomatoes, but fried squash and fried okra are top notch vittles.
Posted By: Hook Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/21/22
Originally Posted by Oldman03
I'm dont like fried green tomatoes, but fried squash and fried okra are top notch vittles.

When the kids were little, wife would cut crook neck squash lengthwise, giving the slices a fish shape. Then batter and fry. She called them squish....kids loved them.

I guess I'm definitely Southern. I like most anything fried except pickles.
Fried green is the only way to eat tomatoes. Once they're ripe I give them away or toss them to the chickens. My wife cuts them in to bite size cubes and fries them crispy brown. I have no idea what she puts on them.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/21/22
Dying here. Well, not literally, but that's the point. I have been told I have chronic kidney disease coupled with high blood potassium. Potassium kills the kidneys. So I've had to stop enjoying many of my favorite foods, tomatoes included. It has been a rough summer, believe me.
Posted By: killerv Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/21/22
I ate at Whistle Stop a few months back, disappointing.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/21/22
If you salt them lightly before battering and let them rest it will pull some of the water out of them and the coating will stick better.
Posted By: Westman Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/21/22
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
If you salt them lightly before battering and let them rest it will pull some of the water out of them and the coating will stick better.

That's good to know. Some of last nights batch had trouble with the coating not sticking well.
But, they were much better than cat schidt!!!
Posted By: reivertom Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/21/22
I like them when they are just starting to turn a bit red around the edges. I think they are better tasting than the solid green ones.
Posted By: JB in SC Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/21/22
Originally Posted by killerv
I ate at Whistle Stop a few months back, disappointing.

The one in Juliette used in the movie, or the real one, the Irondale Cafe in Alabama?
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/22/22
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Dying here. Well, not literally, but that's the point. I have been told I have chronic kidney disease coupled with high blood potassium. Potassium kills the kidneys. So I've had to stop enjoying many of my favorite foods, tomatoes included. It has been a rough summer, believe me.

They told me I have CKD too, Rocky…it’s the latest thing all the boomers have. Eat the damn FGT’s, potassium be damned. We’re all dying from day one. Shorter, happier life or hang on to squeeze the last miserable drop out of the bottle?
Posted By: Westman Re: Fried Green Tomatoes! - 09/22/22
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Rocky, Sorry to hear that. Hope it doesn't disrupt too much of life.

BTW, really enjoyed your books. Still get a chuckle out of "mi fi ay"...

Bill
© 24hourcampfire