Home
Posted By: Old Ornery Hodgon Powders - 09/22/22
Lots of powders in at their site: https://shop.hodgdon.com/hodgdon/ at a very high price, but available.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/22/22
You can buy them cheaper else where
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/22/22
Less but not as available.
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/22/22
yike$
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/22/22
Pay to play.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/22/22
Drug dealer mentality....
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/22/22
Originally Posted by Seafire
Drug dealer mentality....
They give you the first pop for free to get you hooked? confused
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/22/22
No benchmark in 3 years
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/22/22
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
No benchmark in 3 years

Is that the preferred playground powder?
Posted By: dale06 Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/22/22
Those prices are stupid high.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/22/22
Originally Posted by dale06

No one is making you buy it.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/22/22
No benchmark in 3 years

Glad I have an unopened 8 pounder and 5 left in the other
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
No benchmark in 3 years

911 What's your emergency?

Yahh, uhh, that creep with the C-clamps is back at the jungle gym. He asked my son if he'd be into Hodging his Benchmark or something. Good gawd now he has a video camera out and ranting about the 2nd plane! Please help!
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/22/22
Brownell's has quite a few of Hodgdon's offerings available right now with no limits on quantities. Prices are on the high side but not terrible. It looks to me like Hodgdon is getting it done at least in a few cases, and Alliant is struggling to get anything to the shelves.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/22/22
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Originally Posted by dale06

No one is making you buy it.

True, and I won’t. But it is still stupid high.
I pretty much bought all I’ll ever need, primers and powder, when Obama took office. And the powders were in the high $20, low $30 range. Primers a little less than that.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/22/22
Goodness gracious me oh my.
Posted By: roverboy Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/22/22
Yeah, I try and pick up a pound or 2 when I can. But, some places are out of this World on prices. Primers are almost non existent. Oh yeah FJB. And his whole crew.
Posted By: krp Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/22/22
Powder valley had benchmark, 322, 4350 and 4831sc just a few minutes ago, about 44 bucks a lb.

Kent
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/22/22
Robbers!
$100/pound by 2030?
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/22/22
Plan for the future.....

remember slick willie days ?

I'm Still shootin' primers at $30/K shipped......$150 case of 5K

Powder at $175 for an 8# bottle shipped

Come on man.....
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/22/22
I just paid over $3 a dozen for regular jumbo eggs (not designer eggs), $4.49 a quart for cream, and $9.29 for Boars Head hot dogs (the BH bacon was on sale, down to $8.99 from $12.99, but I passed). A $5.99 broiled chicken now costs $7.99. Black oil sunflower seed for my birds runs from $.85 to $1 a pound.

I think there’s some kind of economic problem………
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Plan for the future.....

Come on man.....
In 2020, I felt pretty darn smart buying Ramshot powders for $168/8. Now? I just feel dumb for not buying more!
Posted By: hanco Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/22/22
I’m glad I stocked up, should have enough to take my ass out!
Posted By: hanco Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/22/22
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I just paid over $3 a dozen for regular jumbo eggs (not designer eggs), $4.49 a quart for cream, and $9.29 for Boars Head hot dogs (the BH bacon was on sale, down to $8.99 from $12.99, but I passed). A $5.99 broiled chicken now costs $7.99.

It is hurting families with young children
Originally Posted by hanco
I just paid over $3 a dozen for regular jumbo eggs (not designer eggs), $4.49 a quart for cream, and $9.29 for Boars Head hot dogs (the BH bacon was on sale, down to $8.99 from $12.99, but I passed). A $5.99 broiled chicken now costs $7.99.

At least the working ones.
Posted By: MAC Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/22/22
I'd like to get some Varget but not at $60+ a pound. I laid in some Win 748 and some TAC which are nearly identical in burn rate and those were less than $30 a pound.
Posted By: Theoldpinecricker Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22
Glad I got mostly what I need. The only thing I hunt for at the moment is 375h&h brass. Makes me sick to see these multinationals have literally cornered the market in regards to ammo and the components to assemble it. There's no doubt energy prices and the interference of nation states have made disruptions and price increases but I'm beginning to think these ammo and component corporations are more like an cartel. We were much better off back in the 70's before there were so many mergers and acquisitions in this industry.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22
Awhile back heard a Vista Outdoors money guy saying their "sporting", the ammo and components sector, profits had gone up 400% since 2019. Hmmmm.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Plan for the future.....

Come on man.....
In 2020, I felt pretty darn smart buying Ramshot powders for $168/8. Now? I just feel dumb for not buying more!

schidt happens............

keep on truckin'
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22
I bought 7 pounds total of Lil Gun, TAC and Hunter a couple of weeks ago for an average of less than $38 per pound which I didn’t think was to bad. I saw that prices jumped a few days later. Compared to primers though powder is still reasonable.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22
I guess the new prices reflect the Biden 8.3% inflation. 😂
Come on man.......

I was never a boy scout

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: EdM Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22
Indeed.

Originally Posted by EdM
Indeed.

Atta boy Ed
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22
Amateurs
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22
No benchmark in 3 years

Powder Valley had Benchmark for a couple hours a few mornings ago.
Posted By: krp Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22
Still in stock at PV right now.

Kent
Posted By: 405wcf Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22
H4350 still there, but damn! Two weeks ago I scored an 8lb from PV for $287, today it is $330.

I see they have SW Precision Rifle at $330, just shake'n my head.

I suspect much of this pricing is essentially to limit profiteering. As people become accustomed to supplies being available they will be less inspired to grab anything at any price. As demand is reduced I suspect prices will decline, but certainly not to pre-pandemic levels.

Hodgdon is likely keeping their own website prices high to avoid competing with (and offending) their dealers.

405wcf
Originally Posted by EdM
Indeed.

I admit I think your RL26 is sexy.
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22
Scored an 8# jug of cfe223 at Sportsmans. $287. Just happened to walk in as they were putting them out. First powder I’ve bought in a few years- been running on reserves.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22

I don’t doubt it. We have a pretty nice little “farm” going here on an acre and a third: veggies and fruit, venison and fish in the freezer. Wifey has been eating almost entirely out of the garden for several months and a good bit of the little meat she eats is deerburger I grind. I’m not one to sit down and figure out the cost of everything, but there’s little doubt it makes a huge difference, and the garden is her hobby; keeps her busy for hours.

One major item is the fruit. We’ve been eating our various berries, peaches, and a few apples, even some really excellent volunteer cantelopes to the point of satiety, plus have bag upon bag frozen. Haven’t bought any all season. Can’t imagine what all that would’ve cost at the store or fruit stand.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22
It's called adding in profit Inflation under the umbrella of Honk for Joey inflation.
And your average person thinks companies would never do that.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22
Most manufactures ( I know Hodgdon is not the manufacturer) that sell their products direct, usually sell at Full MSRP, while their distributors sell for less. This is very common.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22

Hahaha!

Ya think??

Fuggers.
Checkbook Economics, Household Expenses Rise $961 Per Month, $11,532/yr, While Incomes Remain Flat

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22
No benchmark in 3 years

this, and 61 bucks a pound for H-4198 , Fugk 'em. I'll buy crossbow bolts instead.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22
A few years ago, when I quit writing, I sold a bunch of my powder at a local gun show. I priced full cans at $20 and part cans at a buck an ounce. It went pretty fast. If I did that again today, I'd be getting three times those prices.

I am admittedly a geezer, but I can recall as if it were yesterday when primers were a penny apiece, powder ran about $3/lb and rifle bullets ran a dime each. Reloads cost about 15 cents a shot, even with jacketed bullets.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22
Democrats are getting their wish fulfilled - the one where shooting is too expensive of a hobby for people to pursue.
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Democrats are getting their wish fulfilled - the one where shooting is too expensive of a hobby for people to pursue.
…and McConnell, McCarthy and RNC Chair McDaniels are perfectly fine with this as long as Trump and MAGA candidates don’t infect their precious Party.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
A few years ago, when I quit writing, I sold a bunch of my powder at a local gun show. I priced full cans at $20 and part cans at a buck an ounce. It went pretty fast. If I did that again today, I'd be getting three times those prices.

I am admittedly a geezer, but I can recall as if it were yesterday when primers were a penny apiece, powder ran about $3/lb and rifle bullets ran a dime each. Reloads cost about 15 cents a shot, even with jacketed bullets.

I’m a geezer as well. When I started reloading rifle, in 1974, I recall that H 4831 was $1.99 a pound. It came in a cardboard container with a metal plug type of lid.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by Tyrone
…and McConnell, McCarthy and RNC Chair McDaniels are perfectly fine with this as long as Trump and MAGA candidates don’t infect their precious Party.
Everybody will claim "but..but.. Capitalism!" when it's really legislation & agency rule making.

For instance, it's a fact that cargo shipping rules/laws have impacted the prices of all the powder Hodgden gets from Australia.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
No benchmark in 3 years

pretty much, its my favorite 223 powder and works great in 17 fireball too. its a volume powder that I burn quite a bit of. the slow stuff like 4831 etc gets burned in large cases but I don''t shoot those in high volume. 30 rounds a year of 280 ackley is probably all I run. 1800-2000 is my volume on the 223 and 17.

dude don't you need some strange? start a funny puzzzy thread again.
Posted By: oldwoody2 Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

AYE, on all that, from a fellow GEEZER.
Ayeee by golly, and the 700 came with a leather sling and ammo was $2.50 a box I tell ya....Furthermore, if'n you saw boobies ya knew for certain you were looking at a woman... Aye, the good ol'ays.
Posted By: krp Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22
Last year the Hodgdon extreme powders were in the mid/high 30$ if you could find them, before haz/shipping/tax. And some said to wait till the price goes down to preBiden cost.

Kent
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22
Originally Posted by renegade50
It's called adding in profit Inflation under the umbrella of Honk for Joey inflation.
And your average person thinks companies would never do that.

Don’t forget shrinkflation, reducing the size or weight of products on the sly. 4-pound bags of sugar, 12-14 ounce packaged meats, fewer chips in the bag etc. Pretty sure that broiled chicken I bought was smaller than they used to be, and the fried chickens they sell are pretty tiny too. Of course they have to mark the weight on packages, but c’mon man, who reads all of those?
Posted By: Seafire Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22
Originally Posted by EdM
Indeed.

Atta boy Ed

If that is your entire stash boys, if that is all I had left, I feel I'd be just about running out...
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by EdM
Indeed.

Atta boy Ed

If that is your entire stash boys, if that is all I had left, I feel I'd be just about running out...
LOL, yeah no schit
Posted By: Border Doc Re: Hodgon Powders - 09/23/22
Originally Posted by roverboy
Yeah, I try and pick up a pound or 2 when I can. But, some places are out of this World on prices. Primers are almost non existent. Oh yeah FJB. And his whole crew.

Does it seem strange that the government is buying millions of rounds of ammunition for multiple non-combat agencies? That would certainly soak up any "surplus" components that might squeak through to the consumer AND create a huge demand that has to be filled on contracts. We are competing against taxpayer dollars to provide ammo for the IRS, HHS, Railroad Retirement Board and unknown others.

Didn't it work when they just strangled citizens with red tape?
© 24hourcampfire