Home
Ever have them?

How do I get rid of these?

You can only prepare crab just so many ways:

Anyway, like I was sayin', crab is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, crab-kabobs, crab creole, crab gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried.

Crab cakes, halibut stuffed with crab, salmon topped with crab, scrambled eggs with crab, English muffin with crab and cheddar under the broiler.

And just plain old crab right out of the steamer, dipped in butter and washed down with a cold IPA.

They're not full yet, will be a couple / three more weeks before they get good and hard. Gotta bang some more out before the commies drop their gear.

7 - 8 inch crab, don't even need to bother to measure. Life's good!

[Linked Image]
Dungeness, mmmm I remember those from when I lived in portland.
Bubba. you need to share those with Forrest. wink
I am glad you enjoy them.

We went out to Newport a few years back. Not knowing any better, we paid for crab license, and brought home about a five gallon bucket full of dungeoness.

I have a religious aversion to wasting food. I forced myself to eat one crab at the beach house while they were still warm.

We froze the rest and took them home on ice. It took me all summer to find enough people to take them off our hands.

Give me a crappy steak. You can have the shellfish.

Chill
Place in ice chest with cold packs
Wrap ice chest well, tape around seal.
Address ice chest to Geno
Send overnight express.

Geno's wife will be eternally grateful.

Geno will be very happy too.
My personal favorite!

When I go Fishing off the coast of Prince Rupert BC, my guide stops at his traps and when we get back to shore, we cook them up by either steaming or boiling then in salted water. Sweetest tasting seafood I have ever had, delicious! Enjoy
RAID lol it works, but you should cook yours.
Do people make spaghetti sauce with them like we do with blue crabs in the northeast?
Start a crap camp
Put some shelled crab on a toasted english muffin. Cover with a tomato slice and a couple slices of tillamook cheddar, and melt in the oven or toaster oven. Don't hurt yourself. Some in my fam like to make crab salad with chopped celery and pickle and mayo...I like it straight.
There's a little hole in the wall breakfast joint in Fort Bragg, Ca that serves an eggs benedict absolutely loaded with crab.

Eggheads is the name of place and now I'm hungry.
Crabs and crawdads . Just to damn much trouble to eat. Pass the steak. Edk
Originally Posted by Morewood
There's a little hole in the wall breakfast joint in Fort Bragg, Ca that serves an eggs benedict absolutely loaded with crab.

I had Eggs Benedict made that way at a restaurant in the Keys, AWESOME!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by KillerBee
My personal favorite!

When I go Fishing off the coast of Prince Rupert BC, my guide stops at his traps and when we get back to shore, we cook them up by either steaming or boiling then in salted water. Sweetest tasting seafood I have ever had, delicious! Enjoy

For sure.
Originally Posted by Morewood

Traveled up the 1 once, and reached Bodega Bay about breakfast time.

found a little hole in the wall looking place near the harbor. Figured they'd have a crab omelette.........................

they did..............and it was great.

Have no idea if the place is still there. If so, probably $20 for a crab omelette now.

Place at the shore end of the pier in Trinidad made a decent one in season too.

Y'all makin' me hungry for crab now.
Best thing with Dungeness crab? More Dungeness crab.
A friend sent me over 30# of tanner crab clusters this past winter... as good as dungies but far easier to shell.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
A friend sent me over 30# of tanner crab clusters this past winter... as good as dungies but far easier to shell.
Wife prefers the Dungies.

I'll eat any of them

Dungeness, blue, king, tanner, rock ..............makes no nevermind to me.

I've even tried shore crab (Sally Lightfoot type) . Little crabs taste good too.

Then again, when I collect mussels I'm always sure to take the barnacles home too (they're crustaceans too, you know)
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I'll eat any of them

I've even tried shore crab (Sally Lightfoot type) . Little crabs taste good too.

Then again, when I collect mussels I'm always sure to take the barnacles home too (they're crustaceans too, you know)

I started cleaning and steaming my dungies rather than cooking whole several years ago, and won't ever go back to cooking whole. Way better flavor IMO. Gotta be my favorite crab but I'll try any of 'em.
I don't cook elk, deer, halibut, or salmon with their guts in so I figured why do it with crab? Yuck.

Anyhow, I had some mussels with white wine, butter, and garlic last night too. Good stuff!

I need to try barnacles sometime, you're not the only one I've heard doing that.

Oregon sucks in so many ways, but we find ways to make it worth it.
Not a fan, but hey, more for you.

Chill
Send overnight express.

I'll call next time we go! You can come pick them up!
I'm soooo jealous
Tide… that’s funny as here we have cooked a load of crab and always cooked them whole until once we decided what the hell let’s try them cleaned first.

We all agreed the crab just lacked that certain little something when they were cleaned first

Obviously it’s a personal preference and to each their own but it was just interesting you said you preferred them that way

Our season doesn’t get started for a while here but enjoy your haul up there while you can
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Tide… that’s funny as here we have cooked a load of crab and always cooked them whole until once we decided what the hell let’s try them cleaned first.

We all agreed the crab just lacked that certain little something when they were cleaned first

Obviously it’s a personal preference and to each their own but it was just interesting you said you preferred them that way

Our season doesn’t get started for a while here but
enjoy your haul up there while you can

Ours won’t fill out until next month. October, before commercials start carpet bombing with their pots makes for easy pickings for us sporties.

Do you eat the butter?
First time out to seafood restaurant with my fiancee, now wife, we ordered up a platter of crab. When the crab arrived there was no more playful glances or conversation, she went into full carnivore mode! These were a small blue crab in the southern Philippines. Rip, shred, crack they went. Full-on two-handed eating machine no napkin in sght! Rip the back plate off and slurp the innereds out, ummm yummm. I stopped eating a few times just to watch. She never noticed! LOL I fell in love that night. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Our season doesn’t get started for a while here but enjoy your haul up there while you can

Crawdads be the same... it's called sucking the head.. lol
Originally Posted by EdM

Wow those look amazing.
ORIGINAL POST----Ever have these?

The last time I had crabs what I did was shave right down the middle of my pubic hairs.

I lit fire to the left side and when the crabs jumped to the right side----------

I STABBED THEM WITH AN ICE PICK !!!

Hip
Originally Posted by Tide_Change

Our season doesn’t get started for a while here but
enjoy your haul up there while you can

Ours won’t fill out until next month. October, before commercials start carpet bombing with their pots makes for easy pickings for us sporties.

Do you eat the butter?

Nah.. I’ve taken a few sips to satisfy my curiosity and by god it’s the most sweet and surprising flavor you’d never expect
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]woodforest bank hours
back in 1990.....

I simply got a shot at the clinic

In my UPS dubs........
Timely thread.

I’m making crab topped English muffins for dinner tonight.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Last tie I went in Newport we only caught 2 keepers. Had to make crab Rangoon with cream cheese so everyone could have a taste. Caught lots that weren't quite legal that we had to throw back.

Bb
Blue ointment. Forget what it’s called. Get it at the pharmacy. You used to not need a scrip but it’s been a while

Nice!
https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-61893/kwell-topical/details
Originally Posted by Tide_Change

I'll eat any of them

I started cleaning and steaming my dungies rather than cooking whole several years ago, and won't ever go back to cooking whole. Way better flavor IMO. Gotta be my favorite crab but I'll try any of 'em.
I don't cook elk, deer, halibut, or salmon with their guts in so I figured why do it with crab? Yuck.

Anyhow, I had some mussels with white wine, butter, and garlic last night too. Good stuff!

I need to try barnacles sometime, you're not the only one I've heard doing that.

Oregon sucks in so many ways, but we find ways to make it worth it.

If there's any limpets on those mussels and barnacles...........................I'm not against eating that little bit of meat under that shell either.

And yeah, cleaning (shucking) the guts out first is a good way to do them.
I hate you. wink
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Timely thread.

P

I hate you too wink wink
Originally Posted by Heym06

Chill
Send overnight express.

I'll call next time we go! You can come pick them up!

I will drive the faster vehicle then.

Leave the old Tacoma at home!
Timely thread.

P

I hate you too wink wink

Come with me some time.
Dang,

I would love that.

Just put 1600 miles on the Taco. I'm going to hate to see my CC bill for the gas. Don't think I'm going to swing another long trip this season, barring a family emergency. Especially given current market conditions. My monthly retirement "paycheck" is going to get cut again.

I really appreciate the offer. Haven't been on the ocean since................2 weeks ago. Almost forgot I took a twilight fishing trip while down south with my sister and two of her kids. But, it was hardly enough to whet my appetite.
Blue Claws!
Tomorrow night is my gun club's annual "all you can eat" crab night. The Mrs. eagerly awaits this epic event all year. She tears through dozens of them like a buzzsaw!

I like them, but not as much as she does. Fortunately for me, we also serve spaghetti and crab meat.
I donated 30 lbs. of pasta, which should be enough for the 200 or so members.
I love the taste of crabs, but doggone are they a PITA to eat. I did a job in Maryland one time and had a dude set me up with (6) XL boiled crabs along with a 6 pack of beer to enjoy watching NFL. I swear I burned more calories trying to eat those things, but they were delicious.

I pretty sure folks in Maryland put Old Bay seasoning on their ice cream and in their coffee.
Dang,

I would love that.

Just put 1600 miles on the Taco. I'm going to hate to see my CC bill for the gas. Don't think I'm going to swing another long trip this season, barring a family emergency. Especially given current market conditions. My monthly retirement "paycheck" is going to get cut again.

I really appreciate the offer. Haven't been on the ocean since................2 weeks ago. Almost forgot I took a twilight fishing trip while down south with my sister and two of her kids. But, it was hardly enough to whet my appetite.

Newport
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I love the taste of crabs, but doggone are they a PITA to eat. I did a job in Maryland one time and had a dude set me up with (6) XL boiled crabs along with a 6 pack of beer to enjoy watching NFL. I swear I burned more calories trying to eat those things, but they were delicious.

I pretty sure folks in Maryland put Old Bay seasoning on their ice cream and in their coffee.

Dungeness are much easier to crack than blues. One big ocean crab is all I can eat if I have French bread, garlic butter, and adult beverages.

P
Originally Posted by EdM

YUM!!!!!!!

I used to hunt the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland them blue crab, cakes are awesome too!

Dungeness are much easier to crack than blues. One big ocean crab is all I can eat if I have French bread, garlic butter, and adult beverages.

P

8” crab
8” chunk of bread
8” pour of wine

Best meal on earth
How To Cook Crack And Clean Crabs:

Step 1: Use commas.
If all you are looking at is how long it takes to get a meal, king crab reigns... so rich and so big it takes no time at all... especially at Costco where right now they have red kings 4-7 count!!!!!!!!!!!! that is 4-7 pieces per 10# box! Imagine a 2.5# crab leg!

You don't get full from eating them, you just get tired.
Was in Newport week before last and stopped at the South Beach Market for some steamer clams. They were selling whole crab for $24.99 a pound, $50.00 for a commercial size crab, with a line out the door all day long.

While we were in line an older guy with Idaho plates hefted a cooler full of crab over to the outside cooker and there were six legal males in the lot, everything else was females. The dude doing the cooking told him to take his cooler and get lost.
Dang,

I would love that.

Newport
Yeah, Only a 8 hr or so drive and close to 400 miles, which adds up to a round trip of too many Biden gallons of gas. But I really do appreciate the offer.
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Was in Newport week before last and stopped at the South Beach Market for some steamer clams. They were selling whole crab for $24.99 a pound, $50.00 for a commercial size crab, with a line out the door all day long.

While we were in line an older guy with Idaho plates hefted a cooler full of crab over to the outside cooker and there were six legal males in the lot, everything else was females. The dude doing the cooking told him to take his cooler and get lost.

Not knowing the regs ticks me off to no end.

What gets me riled up worse though is the certain ethnic groups that get caught occasionally with coolers and coolers full of every size and sex. Everything they haul up goes into the coolers, and I presume to the Asian markets or restaurants. I'm talking 300 - 400 crabs. mad

Makes you wonder how many of the poachers out there don't get caught.
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Do people make spaghetti sauce with them like we do with blue crabs in the northeast?

Back couple weeks ago I netted couple dozen blue claws and made a nice sized pot of sauce. Been cooking 'em this way for years and have refined my recipe to rival most Italian restaurants. Any leftover gets frozen, less the actual crabs.

-Ken
BBQ crabs like they served at Sartains in Sabine Pass.
King crabs are best, followed by snow and the small ones are kind of a tie. All the little ones taste the same to me. We have lots of blues here and they're very easy to catch. Mrs. Geno likes claws but I'm a west indies salad lover from way back. I'll happily eat them any way they're fixed. I prefer all of them cleaned before cooking.
© 24hourcampfire