Home
Posted By: Morewood First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
What was your first deer rifle and what would you recommend for my 13 year old grandson?

He just shot his first deer last Saturday (grinning ear to ear) using grandpa's old .30-06 (which he'll inherit) but he'll need his own now.

Looking for something in the 600 dollar range or less.

Thanks, fellas.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
30-06 is a bit much for his age unless you hand load I’d go 243 plenty options out there
Posted By: viking Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
I had a 788 in 22-250. The 788 sucked, I guess that’s why it was on the used rack.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Mine was a .30-06. Sons was a 7-08, daughter was an ‘06. Girls are tough.
Posted By: LBP Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Get him a fast twist .223, no recoil and plenty of gun for deer.
Posted By: dale06 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Mine was a Rem 700, 25-06. Bought it in 1974, and still have it.
For your grandson, I’d get a Rem 700 in 7-08, or 6.5 creedmore.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
A Winchester model 94 30-30 was the rite of passage that both my brothers, then me inherited for our first deer season.

We all hated that rifle with it’s steel butt plate, buckhorn sights, and marred stock. Basically a beater truck rifle.

MW, you might as well wreck the youngster now and get it over with. 6.5 CM in a maker of your choice.

😬🦫
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Savage 110 in 270. If I were setting up my own kid, I don't know...probably Howa or vanguard, 243 or 6.5
Mine was a Win 94 in .356win

Would recommend 243 or 7-08
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Weatherby vanguard....308, or 7m08.
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Handi-rifle 243.win was my first deer rifle. It's long gone, but I've been wanting to get an exact copy of it just for nostalgia and to let my son use it for his first in a few years.
Posted By: krp Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Savage 99 308, but I was 17 and bought it myself used for 100 bucks.

Today a 708 is what would be the best for an overall round.

Kent
Posted By: Oakster Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Originally Posted by Morewood
What was your first deer rifle and what would you recommend for my 13 year old grandson?

He just shot his first deer last Saturday (grinning ear to ear) using grandpa's old .30-06 (which he'll inherit) but he'll need his own now.

Thanks, fellas.

I would look for a used Tikka T3 in 7mm-08. It would be a great caliber for a while and when he wants to, or is ready, it could be rechambered to 280ai for about $300 (new long action bolt stop and magazine and a smith to cut the chamber in the existing barrel.). Well built, accurate and light.

My first rifle was a Savage 99 in .308. I bought it with my own paychecks from bagging groceries at a local store. Used a Marlin 30-30 for antelope and deer that my dad had prior to buying my own.
Posted By: lastround Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Mine was a model 94 winchester. Wish I still had
it
Posted By: devnull Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
I recommend something in a 6.5 CM that can grow with him. Nothing worse than a stock that is too long.
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
I used a Marlin 336 in .30-30. My uncle was right proud, dropped a 6 point buck with one shot at 150 yards. He dumped an 8 point ten yards from mine less than ten minutes later. And you ain’t getting no JM Marlin 336 for 600 or less now, methinks.

Get him a .308 if you want him to never need anything else. A 6.5 Creedmoor if you want him to like boys😂. Not really, just poking fun at the Creed fans.

Personally, if the hunting stays in NC, hard pressed to beat a lightweight bolt or lever in something on the .308 Winchester case. .308 for utility and pragmatism, .284 for class, .243 if he is a disciplined hunter and accurate shooter, .358 or .338 if he plans to be a loony. And all of this pretty much applies to anywhere in the lower 48.
Posted By: ShaunRyan Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Originally Posted by krp
Savage 99 308, but I was 17 and bought it myself used . . .

Same here except I was 15. Had a Weaver 4X on it.
Posted By: Partsman Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
I started out with a Lee Enfield, big surprise.

But I like the 25/06, 308, 243, now added a 7/08 but have not shot it yet, so not sure how it would be.
Originally Posted by SCgman1

Good choice. I’ve never shot an inaccurate Vanguard in any chambering.

🦫
Posted By: blanket Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Text editors [bleep] suck, river ranch 6.5 gaymore
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
30-30 of course.

Oldest daughter used my M7 243. A member here gave us a compact stock for it.

Wants something bigger,
thinks the Swede in a T3 kicks too hard?

Her sister uses that Swede. Stock shortened with a flip flop pad.

A Reloader?

Anything non-magnum can easily be loaded to fairly acceptable
levels for a couple years.

Be aware of gun weight.
Someone recommended a Tikka 7-08.
I was surprised at the recoil of the Swede in a T3 with 140gr loads.
Not what I'd call bad, but more than expected for that type of round.
Same with the 243 M7 too. Not bad. More than expected for 243.
Posted By: Gunnison1 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Mine was a Remington model 600 in .243 and I still have it. Even though I’ve got about every other caliber imaginable in the safe and have hunted with dozens and dozens of rifles over the years the old 600 still is the gun I grab for deer more often than not.
And quality for value the Tikka T3 is hard to beat in today’s market. You can find em in the $600 range.
Posted By: Teal Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
My own?

I was 12 and it was a Ruger M77 Tanger in 30-06. $364.00-ish IIRC

Today, when it's time for my grandson - I hope they still make a Hawkeye or some other decent wood n blue rifle. Likely in 30-06 or a 308

While I think the 7-08 may be the perfect lower 48 cartridge, factory ammo isn't easy to find all the time and I won't force family to reload so vanilla chambers. If he wants something more specialized- it's on him.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
The kids will be using a Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
$99 Winchester 94 from Best Products...

Rode my Schwinn 10 speed over to get it on Gayton Road.

I was SO SO PROUD of 1.5"... back in the the day...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Found the fugging framed target in my folks house last year... LOL
Posted By: High_Noon Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
My first deer/hunting rifle was a Browning BAR in .270. Heavy, but a great gun. Shouldn't have sold it.

I would recommend a M70 Featherweight in a suitable caliber for your youngster. I think 13 is old enough to handle a .308, .270 or similar. A CZ 550 American in 6.5x55 SE would also be a good choice - if you can find one. IMO, I would want to get him a rifle he could hold onto for his lifetime and not one that he would feel like he needed to replace sometime down the line. Raise your budget a bit and have him contribute as well so that he has some 'skin in the game,' so to speak. Then he'll cherish that M70, the Rifleman's Rifle.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
257 Wby.
Posted By: GAGoober Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Sporterized 03 30-06. 180gr Sears SP Bullets.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
257 Bob
Posted By: humdinger Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
I also had a 788 in 308 that sucked...

Id' lean towards a 243 or 6.5 creed that he can turn into a high performance predator gun later or continue to use.

Nothing wrong with him borrowing that 3006 til he gets it. Give it to him early and YOU get a new gun. ;-)
Posted By: mud_bogger Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Dad bought me a savage 110 300win with a birch stock when I was about 12. His thoughts were that I could hunt anything I would ever wanna hunt with that violent F ucking rifle.

I havnt shot it since I was 12. Used his m99 243 and a 721 30-06 until I was old enough to start buying rifles.

243 is a legit little round. Think a guy could find a tikka 243 for that price..maybe used, but who cares?
Posted By: philgood80 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by SCgman1

Good choice. I’ve never shot an inaccurate Vanguard in any chambering.

🦫

Another Vanguard vote here. Get the compact now and he can graduate to a nicer full size stock later.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
336A 30-30 circa 1977 from woolco,s
Age 14.
Prior to that I had a 12 ga mossberg bolt action 3 shot at age 12.
Then about 1979 age 16 I got a mod 70 Pf 30- 06 from Service merchandise.

Both rifles I put William's receiver sights on.
Posted By: crc1514 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
My first was a 25-06 bdl ss I bought when I was 17. I’ll vote for 25-06, 6.5 creedmoor, or 7-08 in whatever rifle you like within your budget.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Rem 700 bdl 243
Posted By: RHutch Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
788 in .308 that didn’t suck
Posted By: slumlord Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Let’s talk about my first conservative blog I started cutting and pasting from,,
I'm still a cherry on the posting newshawk thing...
😔😔😔😄
Posted By: nash22 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Mine was a Winchester model 94 in 25-35. Was my dads first rifle 65 years ago. I have it now.

I would recommend a 7mm08. Good for just about anything with not much recoil.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Howa/Weatherby 7mm-08 would be high on my list for a new shooter.
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
.308 recoil the same as 7-08, if using the same weight bullets. Physics…. Don’t like a .308 with 150’s? You won’t like. 7-08 with a140 much better. Like a 7-08 with 120’s? You will like a .308 with 125’s just the same.

Recoil is a function of the weight of the projectile and the amount of powder pushing it. To a lesser extent the felt impulse is affected by stock fit and powder burn rate. But the lion’s share of recoil is because you have a certain amount of powder pushing a certain amount of projectile. There is not enough difference between a .308 and the 7mm08 to make a bit of difference if similar bullet weights are used.
Posted By: grovey Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Mine was a Interarms mark V mauser in 30-06. One of the ones P.O Ackley offered. If possible I'd spend a bit more and buy him a 6.5 cm or 7-08 Tikka... New or used. On the cheap I'd snag a used Marlin xs7 in 243 or 7-08.
Posted By: Osky Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Swede.
Plenty of horsepower, minimal recoil, very efficient. If learning to reload is somewhere in the future many more variations will be possible.

Osky
Posted By: smarquez Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Originally Posted by earlybrd
30-06 is a bit much for his age unless you hand load I’d go 243 plenty options out there

Seems like he's already figured it out.
How come our sockpuppet troll d-bags never participate in threads like this or similar ones.
Even better if ya ask em to post a pic of anything outdoor related.

🤔🤔🤔🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: nsewell Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
I hunted with a mossberg 500 12 gauge using slugs. My dad didn’t want me to use a rifle until I was old enough. On my 18th birthday I was at the local gun store when they opened and purchased a Ruger 77 Mkii all weather in 270 win. I’ve used it now for 17 seasons. I would recommend a ruger m77 Mkii or Hawkeye, there a little higher than your budget but there quality made and durable rifles.
Posted By: Morewood Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Originally Posted by smarquez

Seems like he's already figured it out.
Oh yeah. He's got the fever.

My first deer rifle was also a model 94 in 30-30 with buckhorn sights and a saddle ring. Still have it.
Posted By: robthom Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
I started with my first full bore deer stalking rifle - 270 Steyr Mannlicher Mod. M. Age 14. I was a stocky child and back then there were few left hand rifles.

Not so sure ,/ keen on light fast bullets. Know placement is critical but things go awry. I had no problems with Normal factory 150grain rounds.

Now, if I was going with a youth rifle, think .25-06 with 130 grain bullets, 270 with 140 grain and 6.5x55 plus .308Win with nominal 145 grain.

It does depend on the size of Brady, terrain/ typical shooting distance say max 150 for a beginner and their physical size / strength. Would not go too light on rifle due to recoil. A good fixed 6x scope is fine. Still like them for under 259-300 yards which even in Scottish Highlands is plenty. In is stalking not long range target shooting
Posted By: hardway Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
I had an extra tikka t3 in 308.... I found a youth/compact stock.... handloading some reduced loads with 110 grainers and a Leupold 6x on top. It's a puzzycat. My boy is 11 and daughter is 13.... also have a bunch of 222's and 223's they have been shooting but didn't want to cut any of them down.... they both have their own 22's and 410 shotguns but I'll probably just have them share that tikka because my boy will probably be able to handle a full size stock in a few years so I'll just give the tikka to my daughter .... also have a semi custom 700 in 270 that is my wife's .... it was her first rifle from her dad..... I had it coated and bedded into a custom lop McMillan mountain stock so the girls will be covered.

I think the main thing is the correct lop on the stock.... wife was alway complaining how unnatural it was .... her 700 was a Remington factory youth stock and the one we ordered is about 1/2" different....could have fixed it with a saw but we decided to go with a new/liganter stock.....now it points very natural for her and she can get on target a lot faster.
Originally Posted by renegade50
How come our sockpuppet troll d-bags never participate in threads like this or similar ones.

🤔🤔🤔🤣🤣🤣

That would require them posting something real and tangible. Fantastic land is mucho better for them that don’t and can’t do.

🦫
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Mine was a Savage 99 30/30. Still have it, still use it occasionally, still kills deer, and it turned 99 yrs old this year. It was also my Father's first deer rifle - he passed it to me when I turned 16 (minimum big game age when I was growing up).

I also still think that the old medium calibers like 30/30 and 32 Win Special are good beginners/youth choices. Moderate recoil, good performance on game - but availability of rifles is getting pretty limited if you don't like the old stuff.

These days you'll have a lot more choices in the 6 to 7mm range: .243, .260, one of the 6.5s, and 7mm/08. You can also take a look at the old 250 Savage and 257 Roberts if you come across one. Any of them will kill deer if you teach him to hunt and shoot, recoil and muzzle blast won't be excessive, and there are lots of choices in pretty much any price range. Buy an extra stock to cut down until he finishes growing.

I don't think long action cartridges are the best starting points, let him make that choice later on. And I definitely don't think anything smaller than 6mm/.243 is good for a beginner - precise shot placement gets critical, leave him some room for error.

Now in my mid 60s, my "deer rifles" are almost all short action 30 calibers - 30/30, 300 Savage and .308, with a 250 Savage hanging around on the fringe. Some are lever actions, some are bolt guns, some are scoped, and some have receiver aperture sights. Believe I'm pretty well covered for any weather I care to hunt in and any range I'd care to shoot at.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Morewood;
Good evening to you sir, please send hearty congratulations along to your grandson!

Personally, I never tire of hearing about some of the next shift of hunters getting a good start.

My first center fire was a Pattern 14 sporter in .303, but I never shot anything other than gophers with it. My first big game animal was taken with a borrowed '06 Model 70 which I much preferred over the first deer rifle I used which was a Model 100 in .308.

When my good wife took up hunting with me, her first rifle was a 788 carbine in .308 again and it was and remains an amazingly accurate arm.

That said, when our two daughters decided they'd like to try hunting, both of them found the blast from the full power .308 loads in their Mother's little carbine way more than they could do good work with.

We ended up finding a 722 that had been rebarreled to .250AI for our youngest and our eldest saw her late Grandad's 6.5x55 in the back of the safe and claimed it.

For whitetail and mulie bucks, the .250AI proved to be a wonderful little cartridge using 100gr Hornady Spire and 80gr TTSX bullets.

Perhaps the lighter bullets "rocked" the bucks a tad less than the 6.5 did with 130 TSX, but in terms of terminal performance on deer it wasn't truly noticeable.

If memory serves I shot at least 2 local deer with the .250AI as well, testing out some of the bullets, etc. and it was easy to place bullets very carefully with, which sometimes is quite handy.

That said Morewood, I was impressed enough watching our eldest smack stuff with her Swede that I unscrewed the .270 Featherweight barrel off of my walking around rifle and had a smith up the valley make it into a 6.5x55.

While I do carry something bigger if I am purposefully looking for moose, I do carry the Swede with an elk tag in my pocket and do not believe I'd be too, too handicapped with it. I've been running either 120gr TTSX or GMX in it and want to say that 3 local bucks used one each at various ranges - none super far though.

If I was helping another new shooter to pick out a hunting rifle, I believe I'd try to include them in the process as much as possible/practical - especially in terms of what controls make sense to them - ie safety position - which stocks fit them best and what they like the look of too.

One daughter loves her nearly 120 year old Stutzen stocked Swede and the other thought her laminated stock, stainless match barrel rifle was the coolest looking thing ever.

Hopefully that made some sense and was useful to you or someone out there tonight.

Again congratulations to your grandson and good luck on all your remaining family hunts this fall.

Dwayne
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Winchester 94 (pre-'64), in .30-30 WCF.

L.W.
Posted By: reivertom Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
I Killed my first deer in 1983 with an M1 Garand. It was all I had in a deer caliber. Before about 1978, there were very few deer to hunt around here....and really not many until the mid to late 80's. Now days, they walk up from the river bank and stroll through my yard in town. I never dreamed, as a kid, this could happen....It would have been like seeing a unicorn.
Posted By: plumbum Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
270, 7-08, 308, all of them work. These days you take what you can find. '06 would work.
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22

Thanks, fellas.

The first deer rifle I killed a deer with was a .300 Savage in a 99R. I started my three kids that hunt with .243 Winchesters. That would still be a good choice.

If grandson wasn't getting a .30-06 later I would suggest a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 7mm-08. I gave my kids .30-06's when they got older as well.

As far as a new rifle under $600 I would look at a Ruger American compact. Personally, I would buy used and look for something with backup iron sights already installed. A 700 ADL Remington would work.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
22lr
Posted By: RAS Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
My first rifle was a flat band pre 64 model 94 in 30 WCF

I would buy what I bought my middle son just 2 years ago.

Tikka T3 stainless in 243. 3-9 Zeiss. He is set forever.

Side note: My first son got a 700 Classic in 250 Savage with Leupold scope. Though that package is way to costly now.
Posted By: tzone Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Give him the 30-06 now.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
First rifle I hunted with was a model 94 with open sights in 32Special. My dad's gun.

First rifle I bought was a Rem 700BDL Varmint Special in 243Win. Bought it from Dad's State Trooper buddy.
Posted By: Willto Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
My first deer rifle was a Winchester Model 100 in 243. Unfortunately it was destroyed when my parents had a house fire years later. I still feel like a 243 is a great caliber for a kids first rifle.
Posted By: hanco Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
My first was a 30-30. I’d buy him a 7mm-08. A Vanguard or a Savage. A 6.5 Creedmoor would be good also.
Posted By: poboy Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
My first was a Winchester 30-30. Somebody had cut the saddle
ring off. It was wore out and had a hair trigger. The first I bought
a Rem. Sportsman 78. It is still a good shooter.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Well, I wasn't rich like evidently most of use guys were. I just dreamed of something like a M 94 or Savage 99.

Years of mowing yards and selling watermelons by the hwy got me one of these with no scope, $37. But it got me this in high school while sneak hunting the brush country near Refugio. I got it mounted 20 or so years later. The Savage had a Weaver K22 4x scope then in dovetail mounts. 30-30 Cal.

[url=https://postimg.cc
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Let him pick his rifle, Give him a budget and let him choose.

🤔🤔🤔🤣🤣🤣

The Commie trolls don't want Patriots to know who they are after this Second American Revolution.

Amazing how many Fire guys think we will still have guns in 3 years if the current battle for survival Trump and the Patriots are now fighting is lost. If the NWO gets control there will not continue to be slow Dimocommie creep as we have experienced for the past 70 years.

I wonder how many Russians seeing Stalin come to power thought they would in 2 years be eating their dogs and kids.
Posted By: johnw Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Rem 700 bdl 243
Yep...
Originally Posted by Beaver10

🤔🤔🤔🤣🤣🤣

That would require them posting something real and tangible. Fantastic land is mucho better for them that don’t and can’t do.

🦫

This. They have a lot of mouth, BS, knowledge and advice and know how schiett should be done. They know they could getter done, as we have, if they had really wanted to.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
$25 a box 6.5x55 ammo thread.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/17636669

Great caliber I heard... never shot one.

Dwayne and Morewood's posts made me think of it.
Posted By: Dan700mn Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
My first deer gun was a 20ga wing master with slugs.
South east Minnesota = slug guns
For a rifle I would pick a tikka t3 compact, my daughters first rifle at 10 years old. 308 125gr reduced loads.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Originally Posted by hanco
My first was a 30-30.

Thats what I wanted but my dad told me to buy the Sako Finnbear in 30-06. I would steer the kid towards something 6.5.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Mine was JM Marlin 3030. Christmas gift. Sights were mounted crooked on the barrel. And you had to hold the.lever tight to fire it or it would pop open. I can't believe my dad didn't look it over better. I had to spend half what it cost to be able to use it. I never killed a deer with it. My dad and brother did. I bought a 700 BDL when I got my first job.
Posted By: arkypete Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Iranian cavalry Mauser 98, 8mm. Beautifully made little rifle.
Posted By: Gojoe Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Thinking about the possible future of firearms ownership and ammo availability. I'd look for a quality bolt action, something better than entry level , quality glass and an older proven caliber.
308 win perhaps, but a 7mm mauser or 257 Bob would due.
The memory of that first rifle will outlast you.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Mine was a Remington 788 243 with a Weaver K4 on it. Still have it, but it has a K6 on it now.

Ron
Posted By: killerv Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Mine was a model 7 in 243 at 9 and then graduated to a 700 mountain in 270 at 14.

I'd look for something 708, ammo is out there but you have to look.
Posted By: benchman Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
A 243 in whatever floats his boat, and is in your price range. Get good glass, too. Most rifles are plenty accurate, but scopes are kinda iffy if they are cheap.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Thankfully my first deer rifle was a open sighted Winchester 30-30. There's more to learn about hunting than shooting.
Posted By: 257 roberts Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
I killed my first deer with a Browning BLR 308 Win.....a 243 Win in whatever action he likes would serve him well.
Posted By: coltchris Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Winchester Model 94 30-30
Posted By: basdjs Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
My first deer rifle was a Savage 110 LH .243 that I saved up and bought myself. I started my son with a .243 and would recommend it or .260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor. Any of those cartridges in a bolt action rifle that he’s comfortable handling could last him a lifetime for mid-sized game or predators. Put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it to really reduce felt recoil!
Posted By: efw Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Winchester 94 30-30 was my first; Aunt & Uncle bought it for me for my birthday.

My oldest son has a .257 Rob and my younger a 6mm-250.

If I were going for under $600 today I’d look for a post 64 model 70 in .243 Win or 7-08 Rem.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
The kids will be using a Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel.

Hope to see pics of your brood with their kills and that rifle!

My first deer was shot in the face with a Rem 1100. There were few deer and no season in my area until I was in my 20's. They were a pest, messing up the rabbit hunting.

First centerfire was Interarms Mark X in .243, traded it off for my first 1911, wish I still had it.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
A Remington 700 BDL 30-06 that I bought with money saved up from my paper route and my uncle adding $100. Bought at Williams Gun Sight.
Posted By: lubbockdave Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
first deer shot with a single shot .410 with slugs

first "big boy" deer rifle was a marlin 30-30

today there are plenty of sub $600 rifles that would make a fine first/only/lifetime deer rifle
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
My first deer was with my grampa's Marlin 336 RC .30-30.
"MY" first "deer" rifle was a Parker-Hale .270 Win I swapped a Ruger .41 Rem Mag for.
Gramps old .30-30 is now on my youngest kids gun safe.
My family just wasn't into buying and/or selling guns.
You only bought what you needed and used it until it was useless.
Posted By: tzone Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
My first rifle was an old Enfield .303 Brit. That weighed 346 pounds. The first one that was mine, I got from my dad the next year, Remington 742 in odd-6. That rifle burned up when our house burnt down.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Mine was an old Marlin .30-30 that belonged to my Grandpa. It was a great rifle to get started with. It gets the honor of our first deer hunt every season, by either myself or my son.
Posted By: ROMAC Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Mine was a Savage 110LH in 30-06.

Sold it years later for a Ruger 77LH in 30-06, for a 13 year old I'd go with anything accurate that fits him in 7mm08 or .308 just for ammo availability, maybe a .270 if you live in open country.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
25.06, 7mm-08, 308 win, pick whichever you can find and ammo for.
Posted By: Dess Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Originally Posted by tzone
My first rifle was an old Enfield .303 Brit. That weighed 346 pounds. The first one that was mine, I got from my dad the next year, Remington 742 in odd-6. That rifle burned up when our house burnt down.

Me too. I have the short jungle carbine. Open sights with a flip up peep sight. Not accurate for me on long shots, but plenty accurate and lethal in thick timber where a long shot might be 100 yard at most. Harvested a lot of deer and elk with that thing.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
My first deer rifle was a 1977 Marlin 336 in 30-30 that my folks bought for me at the local farm supply store fr $88 brand new. It will still kill deer just as well as it did 45 years ago.
Now that I've had both the Marlin and Winchester 30-30's I can say I much prefer the Marlin as it's way easier to disassemble/assemble for cleaning etc.
It sounds like your grandson isn't recoil sensitive since he was smiling after firing your 30-06 so that might make your cartridge decision easier. Like others have said, I too would recommend looking for a used Tikka in your price range. They're accurate, reliable and I like the 2 position tang safety for simplicity. Put a Burris 3-9 Fullfield II on it and he will be set for a long time.
Congratulations to your grandson and good luck with your search.
Posted By: killerv Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Originally Posted by jaguartx

I looked at those, but right when I was about to order one I ran across a like new ruger ranch in 300bo that still had the stickers on it for 375. May pick one up anyway when my can arrives.

The supersonic 300 in his video didn't seem very loud either.
Posted By: fishnpbr Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Winchester model 94 classic in 30-30. It had a heavy octagon barrel and was pretty damn accurate. One of a few rifles I regret selling.
Posted By: Raeford Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Savage 110E 30-06
Bought at Rose's Five & Dime $199.99
Son still uses it.
Dad bought for me as an early Christmas around 1981-2
Posted By: kendibs Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Marlin Glenfield 30/30 lever topped with a 4X scope. $99 total.

-Ken
Posted By: OGB Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Mine was a Savage 170 in 30-30.

If I was outfitting a kid with a new rifle, (in your price range) I'd look hard at a Howa or Bergara in 6.5 Creed or 7mm-08. Since he is going to inherit an 06 why not give him something more mild that he can hone his rifle skills with? The Creed, like it or not is here to stay and there is ammo everywhere for it.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Howa/Weatherby 7mm-08 would be high on my list for a new shooter.

Though perhaps considered a tad heavy, these weigh more due to having a flat-bottom action vs round profiles found on many bolt guns. That and I'm pretty sure a vanguard will have a standard 24" barrel.

I believe the basic design is a copy of a old sako model (L61 I think). The only significant change on these rifles since being made has been a 3 position safety and a 2-stage trigger.

I personally think they're the most manufacturing bang for the entry level buck. A Vangurd to me is the prettier of the two.......both will accept the same series of B&C medalist stocks should the need for a new look arise down the road.
Posted By: MrWilson Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Marlin 30-30 for me. For a kid something that fits and does not kick much. Iffin ya roll your own the world is your oyster.
Posted By: jjenkins Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
My first deer rifle is a Interarms Mark X in 30-06 still have it. But my go to rifle for the last 20 years is a Tika Whitetail Hunter in 308 with a Nikon Monarch 4 x16 x44 it is a tach driver.
Posted By: JGray Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Shot my first couple of deer with my Dad's sporterized Springfield '06. I just bought my granson his first hunting rifle - Ruger American compact 243.
Posted By: centershot Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Tough to recommend anything but a 6.5 Creedmoor anymore. It really works well, low recoil, easy to get ammo for, plenty of rifles available (from cheap to expensive) - typically very accurate and enough for elk if he ever gets the notion.
Posted By: JPro Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Originally Posted by centershot
Tough to recommend anything but a 6.5 Creedmoor anymore. It really works well, low recoil, easy to get ammo for, plenty of rifles available (from cheap to expensive) - typically very accurate and enough for elk if he ever gets the notion.

Seeing as how the boy is already 13, I agree. For an 8-9yr old, I'd probably go with something easier to shoot, or at least use some reduced loads for a while.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
I got a Winchester 94 .30/30 for my 16th Christmas. I couldn't hit crap with it, though, and when I turned 18, I bought a 600 Remington in .308. That wretched thing shot well, but kicked so hard I hated it, and I sold it to fund a new 700BDL, also in .308.
It was okay, but I eventually went to a Ruger tanger in .243, then another in .270, and so on.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
I didn't get a deer rifle until I was about 28-yo, when I was stationed in Mississippi. It was a Rem 788 in .308 I got with a scope for $135. I still have it, and it does NOT suck.

It is a shame they can no longer be found, but the perfect first deer rifle for a youngster would be a youth-sized bolt rifle in .250 Savage. For years, I lobbied the high mucketymucks at Browning to make their Youth Hunter rifle in .250, to no avail. They made it in .243 instead. If one were limited to factory loads, that would do.

Handloaders could cobble up "youth loads" in almost any cartridge. Light bullet at moderate speed is the ticket.
Posted By: MedRiver Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
My youngest boy is turning 12 this January. He is pretty scrawny but has been hunting with one of the family youth model .243s. On his 12th I want him to have a rifle of his own. I have been trying to find a NIB Tikka stainless in 7-08 but not having much luck so I bought a .270 to have on hand if I can't round up a 7-08 by then.

Thanks to a member on here I have a stock on its way to cut down and save the original stock for when he grows. I have some lightweight bullets and piles of Trail Boss so I can get him shooting it right away until he is comfortable shooting loads appropriate for elk. My guess is he will be elk ready by the fall of 2023 just like his shrimpy older sister was last year.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Heym06 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
My first was a 7 x 57, model 95 mauser. I started off my children with a.243. Today I would start them with ( dare I say it) 6.5 , of some sort!
Posted By: aboltfan Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
My first deer rifle was a M94 30-30. I took my first deer (7 pt.) with it in Louisiana. I hunted two years with it and then a M336 30-30.

My youngest daughter, I have three, is the only one that hunted. Her first deer was with my Browning A-bolt .308 loaded down to reduce recoil. She got a spike on my uncle's farm at 16.

And finally, we come to my grandson, her oldest. He's now 10. We've been shooting all summer and he's doing well. I don't think he'll have any problems out to 150 yards, which is about as far a shot as we have in Mississippi. We still don't have a rifle or caliber picked out for hunting season. His mom wants him to use the .308. We'll see what he wants.

As for me, 45 years later my brother and I are going back to our youth. We've been on a lever gun buying spree and we have dedicated this year as the year of the lever gun.
Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Remington 700 .243 cal, should have kept it. Bought it on sale at Kmart
Posted By: fuzzytail Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
LH 788 remington. Was very accurate and later had to have the shiny 700 BDL in bigger 7mm mag so went down the road.
Posted By: SRPI89 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Remington 700 sps in .270. I’m sure I’m about to get mauled for my caliber choice, but it’s been really good for me. My 9 year old is going to take a few with a .223 this year. He’s pretty dang handy with it.
Posted By: RickinTN Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
I'm in a similar situation right now. I bought a Tikka Compact in 308. The shorter stock is hopefully perfect for my 8 year old grandson and others along the way. I chose the 308 because I have data to load the 308 from lighter than a 30-30 to full house 308 loads. My son, who is 37 years old now killed his first few deer with a stainless model Seven chambered in 308 and loaded like a 30-30 with 30-30 Remington round nosed bullets. I have data from DuPont published in 1990 for several different cartridges which I use as a guide.
Good Luck,
Rick
Posted By: aboltfan Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Rick,

I bought that same T3 .308 compact and have a full size stock for later if needed. I've also picked up a Tikka compact stock that I can put on a 25-06 or 6.5x55. I was able to find a Rem. 700 bdl youth stock that can be used on the .243.

Which ever rifle gets picked I've got plenty of components for reduced loads.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22

My first rifle bought with my own money was a M700 ADL .270. The deer I hunted before that was with my uncle's M99 .300 Savage.

If buying only new, I would get him a M700 6.5 Creedmoor.

If he could be proud of a used classic, I would try to find a tang safety Ruger m77 in .25-06.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
700 ADL 3006 when I was 14.

If I was buying a deer rifle for a 14yo today id buy a Tikka t3 in 6.5CM, 708 or 308 and call it a day.
Posted By: JHM Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Go with the Tikka T-3 and if you can find one in 7m-08 that would be an added bonus.
Posted By: kenster99 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Posted By: oldcuss Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
You can buy her a new Ruger American 243 Rem and a quality
Burris Fullfield 3 x 9 scope for about that price including
shipping. Would be a good starting outfit for any prospective
deer hunter, Then get her started reloading and she will be
one of your BEST hunting pals Forever. Mine is!
Posted By: ACTDad Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
My first deer rifle was a 7.7 Arisaka. I put a Bishops stock on it. Took in to my shop class ( metal shop teacher was part tome gun smith) shortened barrel to 21 inches and drilled tap for scope.

That started my life long love for all things rifle related
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
M93 Spanish mauser 7x57 1969 was 14, shot my 1st wb a 3x3 at 17 with it. 50 years ago this fall. Bought my daughter a m7 with a short stock to use in 6 mm rem. She shot it some had no desire to hunt deer. So one fall awhile back I hauled it to a gunshow, had 3 different people try to buy it all talking about how they would replace that sawed off stock. A guy walked up with an 8-9 year-old girl, a 7 year old boy and another girl 5 years old or so. He asked to look at it, sure I said he checked it over and handed it to the older girl. It was obvious to me dad had been working her with a 22. I asked if it might be a first deer rifle and he said hopefully for all 3 how much you asking? I told him I'd allready been offered 500 ( it had Redfield rings and bases with a 2.5x7 redfield wide view on it). He took it back from the girl and laid it down said he was hoping to stay under 400. The look on that girls face said it all to me. I said I understand that, get your money out 395 will do. He got it and gave me the 395, I reached under the table and gave him the box of reduced loads for it and told him what they were and for. I had 329+tax in that rifle and scope but sometimes you need to pay it forward...mb
Posted By: oldcuss Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
ACTDad - My first deer was taken in 1956 with an Arisaka 6.5 x 257 .
My Dad fitted a Bishop stock and cut the barrel to 22", then
mounted a Lyman peep sight.
Posted By: HShunter36 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
First rifle I used was a plain plastic stocked Remington 700 in 270 Winchester.

My son is 6yrs old. When he’s ready he will have the choice of a 243 or 7mm-08.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
My first deer rifle was a 30/30 marlin 336. I would recommend a descent bolt action with a scope in a 7mm08 or 6.5 cm. A tikka would be a no brainer if you can swing it.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
.308 Winchester in Begara Rifle
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Get him a Remington model 7 in .243 and call it good.
Posted By: ACTDad Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
Originally Posted by oldcuss
ACTDad - My first deer was taken in 1956 with an Arisaka 6.5 x 257 .
My Dad fitted a Bishop stock and cut the barrel to 22", then
mounted a Lyman peep sight.

Col my daughter took her first deer with 6.5x257. Worked well little recoil
Posted By: MagMarc Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/26/22
93 sporterized Mauser 7X57 with the stock cut down to fit. It worked.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/27/22
I started out with a 20 ga double barrel 8 yrs old my old man dropped me off on a tree stump and said right barrel is for deer left is for turkeys the first squirrel come along I shot it with the deer barrel 🤷‍♂️
The first deer rifle I hunted with was a savage 99 308 180 gr round nose corlokt at age 10 still have it today my old man had turned me loose by then
If it was my grandson haunt the pawn shops model 70 push feed focused 270 in mind you’ll find one within your budget
Posted By: ltppowell Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/27/22
In hindsight, I'd have made my son's first deer rifle his last deer rifle.
Posted By: webbedfeet Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/27/22
Growing up my grandparents owned a gun shop, and at 12 they gave me a weatherby mark v carbine. It was a 6 lug 7mm08. I killed alot of deer growing up with it shooting factory 140 cor loks. That was the early 90s since then I've bought many other rifles but that will the last one I get rid of. Since then alot of kids have killed there first deer with that rifle.
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/27/22
Mine was a push feed winchester model 70 in 270. I would suggest a 243win or 6 creed. Kills deer deader than dead and has low recoil.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/27/22
I started out with a 20 ga double barrel 8 yrs old my old man dropped me off on a tree stump and said right barrel is for deer left is for turkeys the first squirrel come along I shot it with the deer barrel 🤷‍♂️
LOL. That sounds very similar.
Posted By: drop_point Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/27/22
Tikka T3X compact in .308 Winchester. Could always upgrade to a better quality full-size stock later on.
Posted By: marktheshark Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/27/22
First rifle I killed a deer with at age 12 was a Rem 700 25-06 that my uncle had recently won at a block shoot. Otherwise would have had to use Dads single shot 16 gauge with punkin' balls. The 25-06 was subsequently stolen by a deadbeat boyfriend of my cousin. First gun I bought myself on day of 18th birthday was a Rem 7600 Synthetic 30-06 that has killed many deer and I still have it.

Do 99% of my deer hunting today with a 7-08 and 140 Fusions. Have many rifles in that caliber but my go to is a Tikka 595. Hornady 139grs have performed well in several of my 7-08 rifles as well.

Highly recommend a 7-08 as a beginner's rifle but ammo has been a bit tricky to find as of late.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/27/22
A 7-08 is a great choice.
My son has one as a first rifle in Win 70 ss.
He did extremely well with it for quite a few years.

[url=https://postimg.cc/VSD0sKpD][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[url=https://postimages.org/][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[url=https://postimg.cc/F75yBB4L][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[url=https://postimg.cc/Wq31Wj4v][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: patbrennan Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/27/22
Shot my first deer (a long time ago) with a husqvarna (FN) 30-06. Somebody was watching over me that morning! I have shot a few more with a 30-06 but mostly migrated over to various 270s, with 25-06, 280, 7mm mag, 300 win mags liberally sprinkled throughout. My son shot his first one with another 30-06 husqvarna (fn) downloaded a bit to keep recoil reasonable.
Starting from scratch I would lean towards a versatile caliber for bigger stuff (assuming there was a reasonable opportunity for that in the future) and download initially to reduce recoil. Something like a 270/7-08 etc in a gun they can physically handle well.
I am unconvinced that young hunters should start shooting at big game too young, they are mostly not mentally and emotionally ready for that. Nothing wrong with them accompanying a parent/uncle/grandpa for a few years first to enjoy the experience, understand that there is a lot more to it than just shooting something and see if it is for them.
Posted By: Geno67 Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/27/22
About a zillion year old winchester top ejecting lever action 30-30 that was beat all to hell. I love that gun. I gifted it to a friend who needed one to feed his family many decades ago.

I would recommend a howa 1500 with walnut stock in the caliber of his choice (the weatherby equivalent - vanguard - is also a good one in that price range). The tupperware stock on the cheaper ones is complete junk even though it looks and feels great - it flexes too much. They are guaranteed to be <MOA but in my experience, they're more like .5 MOA.
Posted By: nimblehunter Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/27/22
Mine was a borrowed pre 64 model 94 in 30 WCF. Got a nice 7 point buck at 7 AM first morning Monday November 28, 1966 right after we got done with the morning milking. We started chores at 3 AM to be in the woods before daylight. The rifle is still in the family. Get the young man a 243, 6.5 CM or 308 for deer hunting.
Posted By: Caplock Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/27/22
700 243. If you can find a Hani Rifle in 223 or 243 that would be ideal.
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/27/22
My first was a Savage 340, in 30 30. It was 1962 and I got a 3x3 buck with it that year.
Posted By: memtb Re: First Deer Rifle - 09/27/22
I was 14 when I bought my first center fire rifle…..took almost a year to save the cash needed! It was a Winchester Model 88 in .308 Win.

The rifle weighed only just over 7 pounds! I shot it quite a few years without a scope and to this day retains the factory plastic butt plate! I survived, and shot it pretty darn good. Shot several large birds in flight, a crow at over 200 yards, many hand thrown #303 cans, ect, ect.!

If fact, growing up on this rifle likely contributed to my being able to easily handle the “punishing” recoil of the 6.5 Crudmore! 😂

If you son has a real desire to shoot/hunt, a rifle with today’s superior recoil pads, stock fit, and the popularity of muzzle breaks (God forbid) ……he should have no issues with a .308 Win. or even something with a bit more recoil! JMO! memtb
© 24hourcampfire