Home
Posted By: kamo_gari Best shooting sticks? - 09/26/22
Looking to buy a set for an upcoming hunt and for future use, and would like to ask for opinions for those with experience using them. My experience with SS is limited to just one trip for plains game, and as one might expect, the sticks the tracker/PH carried in Botswana were made from ~6' lengths of some local wood and rubber rings/belts securing the three legs together near the top. Obviously not a commercial product. wink That primitive unit had three legs, was adjustable for height by means of either splaying apart or pushing the legs together. I thought it looked a bit cumbersome, but it worked just fine. Not exactly rock solid and didn't have the ability to pivot without moving legs, but again, it worked fine.

I see that commercial ones are available in 3 legs, 2 and some one leg versions, which I don't think is what I want. I think I like the 3 legs, just in terms of stability and the ability for it to stand by itself if needed, but maybe there are benefits to the 2 leggers I'm not considering. I've been looking at quite a few makes and models online, and in several online ratings--for what they may or may not be worth-- they rate the Primos Hunter Gen 3 Trigger Stick (3 legs) as the winner for 2022. Any advice very much appreciated. Any pros vs cons as far as features welcome too.

TIA.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/26/22
Can't help you friend.

But good luck with the search and an upcoming hunt???

Edit to add, I've had the single leg Primos trigger sticks and they work OK so far in their limited use. Can't speak as to their effectiveness taking a shot at game, haven't been so lucky yet. But at the range they seem to be better than me shooting offhand. Like you, I've heard the 2 and 3 legged models work well though.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/26/22
Leighton, like you, I use shooting sticks. But I've used the same two leg model for a dozen years.

If you want 3 legs, then the Primos Trigger Stick is good. https://www.amazon.com/Primos-Trigger-Stick-Gen-Shockey/dp/B0728HC759

I use a Bog Death Grip carbon fiber for night hunting with thermal when watching an area for a long time. If I walk and stalk, I'm back to my light 2 leg sticks.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/26/22
I would go two legs.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/26/22
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I would go two legs.

They work fine. You just have to let things settle in before you shoot. Practice a bit with them as well.

Shot this boar with my 2 leg sticks.

Just let the crosshairs settle, and letter rip! smile

Tag. Waiting for that old dude to jump in and start talking about hasty slings, crutches and marksmanship.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/26/22
If sitting or kneeling I like the two legged Bog Pod.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

If I'm standing up more then 3 three legged.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/26/22
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Tag. Waiting for that old dude to jump in and start talking about hasty slings, crutches and marksmanship.

Yeah, the guy who says using a rest is unsportsmanlike.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/26/22
Thanks for the input, folks. If I understand correctly, the odds are that we'll be hunting relatively flat land, with lots of agricultural areas likey to hold what we're after. Part of my leaning toward a tripod style is my thinking that if we see a target, I'd like to be able to set the tripod up, and not have to worry about having only one hand free for things like a rangefinder and binos. Odds are that the shot(s) will be taken standing or on a knee. There won't be any blind or seat available. As such, I figure I want as solid a rest I can get. What I don't want is to be fighting a bounce. I'll likely be as nervous as a cat as it is. wink

Mr. CG, that helps. Does that tripod rig easily and quickly clamp onto the forend of your rifles? It sure looks solid. How heavy is it, and how fast is it to set up with, you figure? I assume the head tilts and swivels? Can you adjust the force needed to do same? Is that also a Bog Pod product?

Barry, that's some nice shooting and some nice looking gear. Wow. I'm pretty sure I'd be hauled off in chains for possessing one of those here. If caught, that is. wink Appreciate your advice.

Geno, thanks bud. Only going to get one shot at this. Can never even apply again for this tag in this lifetime.

Roger, your advice for two legs is based on what exactly, please? wink lol fuggin' guy!
Posted By: lotech Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/26/22
I've used a Trigger Stick two or three times and also an original model BogPod tripod on about ten elk or twelve elk hunts. I prefer the BogPod only because I've used it more. Great for sitting, kneeling, or standing. Practice with these some and you'll find point of impact to be the same as if shooting from a bench rest. That's worth a lot to me. Don't care for the gizmos that attach to a rifle forearm.
Posted By: worriedman Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/26/22
I have the three and two leg version of the Trigger Sticks. For walk about I carry the two leg version, took both my elk with it sitting on pretty bad slope across a valley. They function as a walking stick as well.

Use the three legged version out of my shooting houses.
Posted By: RupertBear Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/26/22
I've used shooting sticks a lot, both commercial and roll-your-own, with both 2 and 3 legs. Any of them do the job well, if you practice aforehand, a lot. Like most shooting things, you prefer what you're familiar with, so practice counts more than shooting stick style. For standing, I prefer 2 legged sticks, I lean the top slightly out from me and put my left (off) wrist in the fork, then as I pull the rifle back into my shoulder everything is steady up to the limits of my shooting ability.
YMMV
RB
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/26/22
I have been using sticks for many years and have tried just about every thing home made and commercial, for me the bi-pod works best, and easily carried and set up, the new trigger sticks are handy and not to heavy and work well if your on the move, the Bog-Pod death-grip tri-pod works great if your not moving around they are heavy and clumsy to use if you moving.

What ever you decide on practice shooting from field positions, the more you set up and shoot the more comfortable you will be with sticks. Rio7
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Thanks for the input, folks. If I understand correctly, the odds are that we'll be hunting relatively flat land, with lots of agricultural areas likey to hold what we're after. Part of my leaning toward a tripod style is my thinking that if we see a target, I'd like to be able to set the tripod up, and not have to worry about having only one hand free for things like a rangefinder and binos. Odds are that the shot(s) will be taken standing or on a knee. There won't be any blind or seat available. As such, I figure I want as solid a rest I can get. What I don't want is to be fighting a bounce. I'll likely be as nervous as a cat as it is. wink

Mr. CG, that helps. Does that tripod rig easily and quickly clamp onto the forend of your rifles? It sure looks solid. How heavy is it, and how fast is it to set up with, you figure? I assume the head tilts and swivels? Can you adjust the force needed to do same? Is that also a Bog Pod product?

Barry, that's some nice shooting and some nice looking gear. Wow. I'm pretty sure I'd be hauled off in chains for possessing one of those here. If caught, that is. wink Appreciate your advice.

Geno, thanks bud. Only going to get one shot at this. Can never even apply again for this tag in this lifetime.

Roger, your advice for two legs is based on what exactly, please? wink lol fuggin' guy!
Maybe because I've used them and have a couple.
If you are somewhere that you are going to be sitting and waiting use the 3 leg, if you are going to be moving around and walking the two leg is quicker to get set up to shoot.
Posted By: Wrapids Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/26/22
This may work, at least for sitting. Try a bipod at front, along with a right knee and shoulder to make a solid base at the rear. Tuck into the bipod sticks, hold this steady, then adjust your right knee and shoulder til you are solid with the front legs. Hope you can visualize this.
Posted By: EdM Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/26/22
If someone else is carrying them, as was the case here wink , these are rock solid.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: Bwana338 Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/27/22
Question for you!

Are you looking for shooting sticks for use in the USA or are you looking for some to practice for a return trip to Africa.

https://www.africansportingcreation...ods-more-african-sporting-creations.html

https://www.africansportingcreations.com/flys-eye-tripod-shooting-stick.html

The above are some nice shooting sticks to look at and try.

I have shot off the bog pod and have one to practice on.

I have shot off the tigger stick and have one to practice on.

I have the 3 legged one with single joint per leg and practice on it. I have a nice one for African sporting that I use and you can take it with you when you travel. I am looking at the 3 piece one now for future trips.

In Africa I can shoot off the bamboo 3 legged one wrapped with inner tube to 350 yards and not an issue. Just practice using it. In fact I made one to practice on.

In Africa the bog pod is about as good as standing up and shooting off hand. I can shoot better off hand than using the bog pod standing up.

In Africa the Trigger stick is nice blind material, and that is about all I can say about it.

While hunting in Africa, you are shooting at a standing animal and do not need a swivel head to rest your rifle on, if the animal moves your PH moves the sticks. You need to learn to set up acquire the target and be ready to shoot when give the go ahead.

Almost all my animals taken in Africa have been taken using the 3 legged shooting sticks standing up. Only exceptions were sitting in a blind for bush pigs. Cape buffalo, black wildebeest, water buck and eland were taken standing off hand.

I have tried the 2 legged shooting sticks models and do not care for them. Sitting they work out fine, standing not so much.

Your hunting style and how you practice will make the difference.
Posted By: lostleader Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/27/22
Depending on what you are doing, how much extra you want to pack. Two striking poles through the hand hoops works ok.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/27/22
I bought the 3 legged trigger stick for my daughter to use this year. We'll see how it goes.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/27/22
Thanks to all for the insight. RB brings up an interesting point. When I was in the Kalahari, I did as he wrote about and nestled my weak hand in the cradle and rested my rifle forearm in it. Do most folks do this, or simply rest the forearm directly on top of the tripod/bipod cup?

Seems to me that like everything, different strokes for different folks in different situations, but it seems to me that a tripod rest will do about anything a bipod rest will do, but that the opposite isn't true. I keep coming back to the reality that the bipod cannot stand on its own...

Anyway, ta again for all the input, lads. Including you and your call, Tex. You know I love breaking your nuts on here. wink

RB: Card received. Thank you for the thanks, and you're very welcome. And yeah, some say I do have a memory like an elephant. I see it, I store it. Cheers.
Posted By: RupertBear Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/27/22
I keep coming back to the reality that the bipod cannot stand on its own....
And, sir, where are you? You are the 3rd leg that makes the bi- a tri-pod. But whatever floats your boat, just practice.
RB
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/27/22
Originally Posted by EdM
If someone else is carrying them, as was the case here wink , these are rock solid.

I'm seeing a solid high hip/pelvic girdle shot as well as the high shoulder. Which was first?

wink

Helluva' deer, BTW, Ed.
Posted By: tzone Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/27/22
I like Bogpod quite a bit.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/27/22

Great in the standing and short version.

A good tripod with a hog saddle or ARCA rail set up if you’re so inclined as well
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/27/22
kamo gari;
Good evening my old friend, I hope that the weather's been good for you folks and you're both well - and the pets as well of course.

When the girls started hunting all those years ago, I needed to find a way to both watch how steady they were, watch the animal being shot and assist them in getting off a good shot - not necessarily in that order.

My solution was to make up a tripod much like the African model you spoke of, which is to say 3 dowels, sharpened at one end and held together by a leather lace.

Eventually that evolved into 3 tapered pieces of hickory, sharpened and held with a fairly heavy rubber O-ring.

I used it as a walking stick when we were stalking, when we weren't it sat on the back window of the pickup. That was how the length was decided by the way - exactly what fit on the back seat of the pickup - under the back window.

In use it was silly fast to get in action.

With it, they pulled off some mighty precise shots Leighton - for kids or seasoned adults.

I've personally tried 2 legs while chasing coyotes and while I hate to contend with Roger, I found the 3rd leg to be a game changer - for me - for us.

Oh, lastly I guess, we'd just slide that O-ring up or down as far as we needed and then plant the sharp ends in whatever dirt/sand/Okanagan rocks we were going to shoot from.

The left hand of the shooter held the three sticks where they were crossed, the rifle fore end sat nice and still and stuff died - repeatedly.

Sorry I have no recommendation for a commercial unit however.

Hopefully that was at least somewhat useful for you or someone out there perhaps taking out new shooters this fall.

All the best to you folks my friend and good luck on all your hunts.

Dwayne
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/27/22
Like Rick pointed out, these look interesting if weight isn't an issue.
For sitting in a blind I like my bogg bipod. If I am walking in I use trekking poles with the Wiser Precision attachment that connects the poles and turns them into a good rest.
Posted By: pullit Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/27/22
I like my BOG shooting sticks and have a BOG pod as well, but have never used it.
Posted By: EdM Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/27/22
Originally Posted by EdM

I'm seeing a solid high hip/pelvic girdle shot as well as the high shoulder. Which was first?

wink

Helluva' deer, BTW, Ed.

One high shoulder shot of Federal Blue Box 150's via a Mauser M12 308 Win. He ran a short bit and dropped. Four minutes into legal shooting.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/27/22
Anyone mention the Claw? We use that setup a ton in Arizona.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/27/22
Here's a link. Call me if you need any other info.

triclaw website

Regards
https://www.primos.com/shooting-sticks/pole-cat/pole-cat-tall-bipod-shooting-stick/PO-65483.html
I've had a pair of these for many years and have used them to shoot whitetails out to 400 yards. Long before they were bought out by Primos. They work best when you can sit and lean back on something like a fence, tree, etc., but even a backpack or a friend will work. They also work without leaning on something, but noticeably less steady. You will need practice to learn how to lean or press into them and create stability.
Pros: light, compact, fits in a backpack, easy to deploy quickly.
Cons: Not as steady without a back rest.

https://www.primos.com/shooting-sti...hort-tripod-shooting-stick/PO-65812.html

I bought these for my daughter to use 5-6 years ago and we have both used them successfully many times. I'd say they are marginally more stable with the 3rd leg, but we often find that the 3rd leg gets in the way when sitting on the ground. They are more suited to sitting in a chair or on a rock than flat on the ground. When sitting low, the legs have to be spread out wide and you end up with one or two of the stick legs outside of your legs and it can be slow and cumbersome to get set up. The trigger mechanism is nice for quick vertical adjustment, but is very over rated. I've had to make far more L/R adjustments and three legs are slower to move and adjust than two.
Pros: steadier without a back rest, easier to lean into and create stability, better for long sits or waiting
Cons: too big for a backpack, slow to set up

https://www.boghunt.com/pods/tripods/deathgrip-tripod/1099442.html
My daughter used one of these on a recent guided Oryx hunt and it's now on my Christmas list. They are fantastic, but I would not want to carry them on a back country hunt. I could see many uses for them sitting in a field or blind.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/27/22
KG this is where I bought my set up.

[img]https://www.nightgoggles.com/product-category/shooting-tripods/[/img]
Posted By: GRF Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/27/22
KG; good call on investigating shooting sticks. I have used collapsible shock corded sticks, bound wooden dowels and old bamboo cross country ski poles. I’ve used the tripods in Africa.

My daughter has the primos trigger stick bipod and after a season of using it has gone back to bound dowels. The only downside I can see with the primos was the size and weight and well as a greater risk for noise.

The correct tool for your usage depends upon the nature of the hunt and if you have extra hands to help out.

Good luck in deciding on what shooting sticks as to buy, have fun practising with the sticks and please do your wonderful photo filled post after the hunt.
Look up Vanguard B62.

Two legs, adjustable from 22.25" to 62". Durable, light weight and very stable. When not needed, I lash them to the side of my pack. I've also velcro'd the legs together to make a pretty good walking stick/trekking pole. Had mine about 4 years, now.

Scheels and Amazon both have them. 45 bucks
Posted By: Slowtrollr Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/27/22
Single telescope sticks … good for hiking and quick shots.

Two and three legged ones if u are sitting, however the single leg works just fine for that too…

Lightweight and easy.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/27/22
I have and have used the primos tripod. It has worked fine the few times I've used it. My big criticism of the primos model is the weight. It is a bit cumbersome. But it is stable and easy to shoot off.

Ive always thought a stick/bipod solution was better.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/28/22
I prefer the twist to lock vs the ones with the tab to lock. You only need to compare side by side to see the difference. It's way faster to twist, extend and lock again for making a change in height. That said if you are on fairly flat ground you can leave the sticks preset to the height you desire and just carry and adjust a little to suit your needs at the time. I have a bogpod with three legs and I do really like it. A close friend uses a monopod and he loves it.
Posted By: tzone Re: Best shooting sticks? - 09/28/22
I had a mono pod and it wasn't much help. I used Ryan's Bogpod tripod and it worked really well. So well that I got one for myself when I got home from the hunt. I have the tab lock legs. But I can see where the twist lock legs would come in handy if you came up on a critter quickly and needed to make adjustments. Less movement with the twist as well.
© 24hourcampfire