Home
Long shot in the Campfire but I'm generally interested. Does anyone enjoy or espouse any philosophers or philosophical movements?

Recommendations for reading?

Regards
Voltaire

Read "Candide"
I wrote my master's thesis on Kant's philosophy of mind.
Harry Jaffa....You can find his work at the Claremont Institute.

https://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-harry-jaffa-20150116-story.html
And now for something completely different,

Originally Posted by kingston

Categorical imperative...I enjoyed Kant.

Only as an ends, not as a means...
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Voltaire

Read "Candide"

Good read. Optimism vs reality.
Marcus Aurelius

Meditations

If you don't mind, I'd enjoy reading it.

Regards
Matt Dillon
Voltaire

Read "Candide"

kaywoodie;
Top of the morning to you my southern friend, I trust the day is behaving down there and you're well.

Our eldest, my usual hunting partner and coffee connoisseur which I was discussing above, isn't really a reader as such but she did lend me her copy of some collected works of Voltaire.

In fact I did like Candide the best and honestly when one considers the time in which it was written, it's really provocative stuff as well as entertaining.

Good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by shootem
Matt Dillon

Not familiar but a classics professor as well? Do you have any links oe suggestions for reading?

Regards
Jcubed;
Good morning, I hope the day is looking fine and bright in your part of the country and you're healthy.

I am not really qualified to answer your question intelligently but do enjoy listening to folks like Jordan Peterson and Jonathan Pageau discuss philosophy and symbolism. Much of it goes deeper than I've gone however or perhaps maybe am capable of going even.

While it's likely pretty lightweight stuff and I'm sure you've read it, I like to work my way through the classic "Meditations on Hunting" by Jose Ortega y Gasset every few years to see if I've changed my viewpoints any during the interim.

Thanks for the topic and discussion regardless though, it's good to see some of the 'Fire folks are of the deep sort.

Good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne
I have not read Mr. Ortega but will put it on my list. You are surely qualified as are all other persons.

Hopefully, it will evoke discussion...

Regards
Has anyone seen Mike Kant?
The closest I’ve come any of that, that you would consider following closely to is Col. Cooper’s writings
Originally Posted by StGeorger
Has anyone seen Mike Kant?

In your bedroom?

Ymmv
Abraxis for the real truth.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

This person?

wiki Abraxas

Thanks
I enjoy listening to Jordan Peterson's podcast of late.

don't agree with everything of course but I am intrigued with them.

I've read the Meditations a few times.

But when it comes down to it............Ruark's "The Old man and the boy" is about as good as it gets for a non educated cajun.
Originally Posted by Jcubed

Regards

It might take me a bit to find it. I'm just sorting through a huge move. Yesterday, I literally unloaded 90,000lbs with the help of our very own 12344Mag. I did, just recently, run into my research materials and notes, but I'm not sure which pallet they ended up in.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

This person?

wiki Abraxas

Thanks
either that or the Santana album. lol
Albert Camus, Nietsche , St Thomas Aquinas, Sartre

Regards

It might take me a bit to find it. I'm just sorting through a huge move. Yesterday, I literally unloaded 90,000lbs with the help of our very own 12344Mag. I did, just recently, run into my research materials and notes, but I'm not sure which pallet they ended up in.

Copy. Don't worry about it! Enjoy the new place!
Originally Posted by ribka

Nice selection, if not varied
Roger Scruton
Wife and I, we're both biological types, had a Zoology professor. Best teacher I ever had at any level of school. He and his brother wrote a very well respected textbook on invertebrate zoology.

She told me one day in class, during a lecture on some critter's internal workings or such, a student asked him "Why does it work like this? " or something similar.

His answer was "Why is a philosophy question. That department is located on the other side of the campus"

That about sums up my philosophy experience.

I can count Castaneda and Don Juan as philosophy though I guess. There is a separate reality.
Jeff Cooper (shrug)
My perspective on ethics, morality, and judgment in general is strongly influenced by Pyrrho.
My perspective on ethics, morality, and judgment in general is strongly influenced by Pyrrho.
On first glance of things that came up on search of his name, I may be interested in checking out his path.

Can you recommend any particular parts of his writings or scholarly discussions of such?
Originally Posted by Valsdad
On first glance of things that came up on search of his name, I may be interested in checking out his path.

Can you recommend any particular parts of his writings or scholarly discussions of such?

Suspension of judgment whenever not practically possible.

Thumbs up to that.

Sometimes things just "Are".

Not good, not bad, they just "Are"
Timothy Leary, Hunter Thompson, Hugh Hefner.
Oh, and Jesus.
For a quick overview (remember Cliff's Notes?) I have an older textbook Greek Philosophy: Thales to Aristotle that boils down the pre-Socratic biggies. Thales was especially geared toward math and modern STEM programs owe him a tip of the sombrero. Aristotle, a student of Plato, is a classic whose works are routinely easy to find if you are so inclined.

For blasphemous humor, besides Monty Python, try the Flying Spaghetti Monster website.
Originally Posted by efw
Roger Scruton

Yes! Very good.
Originally Posted by ribka

Pessimist!
Julius Evola
Had an excellent movement at gas station on the way to shooting range today
Diogenes the Cynic

His handle says it all. And, he loved his "dog".

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I've tried to merge Seneca's outlook on life with Aleister Crowley's views on women as my roadmap.
Epictetus had a way of looking at things that has helped me find perspective.
Thumbs up to that.

Sometimes things just "Are".

Not good, not bad, they just "Are"

If they're not immediately eminently relevant they need no be anything.
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
Had an excellent movement at gas station on the way to shooting range today

It'd have to be pretty spectacular to overcome the ambiance.

Kudos you heathen.

LOL
Voltaire

Read "Candide"

That part about gettin shît and piss dumped on em out of a window…

👍👍
Myself

I’m kinda fond of Bophades
Originally Posted by slumlord
Myself

I’m kinda fond of Bophades
That's just nuts.

John
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Diogenes the Cynic

His handle says it all. And, he loved his "dog".

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Have you found the honest man?
Jcubed: I believe in "Karma" does that count for anything in this regard?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Jcubed: I believe in "Karma" does that count for anything in this regard?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

In regard to the topic or finding an honest man?

Personally, I do not believe in Karma.

Ymmv
Heinlein's perception of philosophy showed strongly in his adult works. Most of it, I strongly identify with.

Scew .gov.
Screw everyone else's ideas of morality.
I only have to justify my life to me, and my loved ones.

Nothing like an author who writes an escape tunnel into the protagonist's abode.

Complete with lime pit in which to dispose of nosey federales.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Voltaire

Read "Candide"

That part about gettin shît and piss dumped on em out of a window…

👍👍

And the monkeys chasing and pinching them girls on their asses!!! 😉😉😉😍😍😍
Bocephus

Ray Nitschke
Be Who You Are and Say What You Mean Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind!
Dr Seuss
Ayn Rand.
My own views on matters of the human condition are far superior to any others.
Frederich Schiller and Johann Wolfgang von Göethe are actually my other two favs after Voltaire.
David Allen Coe....It was all I could do to keep from crying.Pretty much sums ot up these days.
If at first you don’t suck seed keep on suckin till you do suck seed… Curly, Three Stooges.
Maybe not exactly on topic, but intriguing nonetheless. Julian Jaynes. I found his theory, Origin of Consciousness, pretty fascinating. He's been dead for decades, but there's an organization that continues his research.
https://www.julianjaynes.org
© 24hourcampfire