Home
Posted By: dale06 Security issue - 09/28/22
Last night some scum broke into my truck that was parked in my drive. Nothing of value in my truck to steal.
I park outside cause the garage is full. I have the trucks (2019 Silverado) “built in garage opener button” programmed to open my garage door. So they could have opened the garage door entered the garage and then enter the house. They only went through my truck.
Just now, I checked and determined that the trucks key fob does not need to be near the truck to have the trucks built in button open the garage.
So I need to either un program that button in my truck, or find another option. Or they may come back break into the truck and then the garage then the house.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to tackle this?
Posted By: rainshot Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
Nah just get rid of the truck. Problem solved.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
Park the fancy-smancy truck in the garage and some old POS without the bells and whistles outside.....
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
Originally Posted by dale06
Last night some scum broke into my truck that was parked in my drive. Nothing of value in my truck to steal.
I park outside cause the garage is full. I have the trucks (2019 Silverado) “built in garage opener button” programmed to open my garage door. So they could have opened the garage door entered the garage and then enter the house. They only went through my truck.
Just now, I checked and determined that the trucks key fob does not need to be near the truck to have the trucks built in button open the garage.
So I need to either un program that button in my truck, or find another option. Or they may come back break into the truck and then the garage then the house.

That is a complicated matter...

Paul Brokedick Bicycle dude has a Coast Guard friend you could hire... maybe.
Originally Posted by dale06

Petty thieves... they won't be coming back.
Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
Read on another forum where the same thing happened to another man. They got his Henry .22 outta his garage. He kept it out there to be handy for dispatching critters. Can't stand thievery
Posted By: TimZ Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
Had to take all the garage openers out of the cars because they were doing exactly that in my neighborhood…
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
Lock the garage door.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
I used to program the vehicle with garage door opening capability but thought about it and realized that a thief could get into the garage and take his time breaking into the house.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
Why choose to live in an area with these concerns? We went away for 9 days last month and couldn’t find a house key to leave out. Leave the key in the ignition of both my trucks. 9 houses on our gravel road, 6 are family or owned by family, probably 500 acres total of family owned farmland. Never been anyone stupid enough to Fugk around back here in the last 26 years we’ve lived here. I wouldn’t live in a subdivision if they gave me a house for free.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
I live in the sticks with the hicks

They know I’m the one shooting a 12 gauge random hours of the day.

My own family hates me because of it, I dared my uncle to call the law on me last week.

Ren was there. Haha
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
Any idea how they broke into your vehicle? Broken window?
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
Put a switch on the plug that runs the door opener, shut it off at night.
Posted By: mikieb Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
teenagers looking for money to buy pot....
Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
Ring Camera + dogs + 12 gauge + lock your trucks + home security system...so basically layered security could be an option.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
Some GD openers have a lock feature on the "inside" button.
Posted By: Distridr Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Lock the garage door.

And the truck
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
Clean all the junk out of the garage and park your truck inside.
Posted By: Jerry_Lundegaard Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Not sure of the OPs, but a lot of the newer openers have a battery backup for power outages so they open regardless. Our is that way.

My remote is through an app on my phone. No physical remotes in any of our vehicles.
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
Rig up a concussion grenade in your truck.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
Buckshot 00
Posted By: ackleydave Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
That’s what I did after the wife’s ex would bring the kids by to get stuff. Also an extra layer of security if someone broke into my work van that sits outside. We also leave the driveway lights on and make sure it’s parked in the driveway. Good luck
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
Or the breaker
Posted By: Dutch Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
You have too much stuff. I recommend a stuff-ectomy.

Seriously, why do you have a garage door opener in a truck you don’t park in the garage?
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
Originally Posted by mikieb
teenagers looking for money to buy pot....
Pot’s legal here now. 2 plants per person. Nobody buying weed anymore. I haven’t smoked it in 26 years and still planning on growing some next years because, why the fugk not?!
Posted By: dale06 Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Or the breaker

Thanks
That’s a good solution.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Park the fancy-smancy truck in the garage and some old POS without the bells and whistles outside.....

The POS vehicles in the garage are wife’s newer Tahoe and my Z06 corvette.
But thanks for the advice.
Duke 15...

A great security measure...
Posted By: K1500 Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
Just use the slider to ‘lock’ the garage door. It disables opening and closing with both the indoor button and remote. I’m kind of surprised that this is news to anyone but am glad it is non your radar. It’s possibly the easiest way someone can gain unauthorized access to your house.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
Stock up on rototillers!
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Stock up on rototillers!

Hell yeah...

Fugg the 12 gauge...
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
And swizzlesticks!
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Security issue - 09/28/22
I put my old 2005 cheve in the driveway. Problem is sometimes it don't start because it is too cold. Then I have to move it so I can get out of the garage.
© 24hourcampfire