Home
Told by Peter Ustinov.

Told to him by Kirk Douglas.

Douglas was in the middle of filming Spartacus, but was worn out and needed a break. They were filming in Death Valley, and his chauffeur was driving him to a hotel for a few days off. He was too tired to change from his gladiator outfit, so that's what he was wearing on the drive. He was so exhausted, that he was sleeping in the back seat. Chauffeur pulled over at a gas station, got out, and started putting gas in the tank. Douglas woke up, saw they were at a gas station, got out and went to the bathroom to relieve himself. Chauffeur didn't know he had gotten out. He got back in the car and drove off towards the hotel (He didn't realize he wasn't sleeping back there till he arrived at the hotel, many miles away). Douglas returned to see the limo driving away. There he was, in the middle of nowhere, no car or driver, in his gladiator outfit.
Posted By: rainshot Re: A True Kirk Douglas Story - 09/29/22
Surprise!!
Posted By: Tansun Re: A True Kirk Douglas Story - 09/29/22
Yea, so……
Originally Posted by Tansun
Yea, so……

[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]
Posted By: ol_mike Re: A True Kirk Douglas Story - 09/29/22
Funny.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: A True Kirk Douglas Story - 09/29/22
And that boys and girls was the origin of the first Burning Man Festival.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: A True Kirk Douglas Story - 09/29/22
grin
Shaggy dog story without the shaggy dog...or anything else for that matter.
Kirk Douglas made a lot of great movies, and “Spartacus” was among the best. Probably my favorite of his films, although “War Wagon” with Duke is right up there too.
I’ve read several times that he was very liberal politically, and he and Duke didn’t exactly get along on that account.
7mm
The OP's scenario is something that has happened hasn't times to
truck driving teams.

Wife and I had a policy of always putting a pillow in the drivers seat and leaving the curtains open
Did you know that Peter Ustinov was David Niven’s batman in WWII?
Posted By: earlybrd Re: A True Kirk Douglas Story - 09/29/22
His finest moment was “falling down” the burger joint scene epic
Posted By: lotech Re: A True Kirk Douglas Story - 09/29/22
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Told by Peter Ustinov.

Told to him by Kirk Douglas.

Douglas was in the middle of filming Spartacus, but was worn out and needed a break. They were filming in Death Valley, and his chauffeur was driving him to a hotel for a few days off. He was too tired to change from his gladiator outfit, so that's what he was wearing on the drive. He was so exhausted, that he was sleeping in the back seat. Chauffeur pulled over at a gas station, got out, and started putting gas in the tank. Douglas woke up, saw they were at a gas station, got out and went to the bathroom to relieve himself. Chauffeur didn't know he had gotten out. He got back in the car and drove off towards the hotel (He didn't realize he wasn't sleeping back there till he arrived at the hotel, many miles away). Douglas returned to see the limo driving away. There he was, in the middle of nowhere, no car or driver, in his gladiator outfit.

Kirk Douglas mentioned this incident in his autobiography "The Ragman's Son" (or something like that; been years since I read it). Excellent book.
Originally Posted by earlybrd
LOL. That, of course, was his son. Good movie, too.
Posted By: efw Re: A True Kirk Douglas Story - 09/29/22

That was his son Michael but I agree epic scene
Didn’t Natalie Wood claim Kirk Douglas raped her when she was a teenager???

Don’t know if it was true or not, though.

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainmen...ted-kirk-douglas-sister-alleges-80970437
Posted By: earlybrd Re: A True Kirk Douglas Story - 09/29/22
Originally Posted by efw

That was his son Michael but I agree epic scene
They look like twins my mistake

Kirk was great in that movie. Too bad he got throat cancer from eating his wife's taco.
Posted By: rainshot Re: A True Kirk Douglas Story - 09/29/22
One of his good movies was with James Coburn “Draw”. He was reported to be a sexual predator and a mean one at that. I liked some of his work but not all. He was good at playing narcissistic characters.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: A True Kirk Douglas Story - 09/29/22
Man without a star.
Lonely Are The Brave
Posted By: Fubarski Re: A True Kirk Douglas Story - 09/29/22
Ace in the Hole
Posted By: Infidel Re: A True Kirk Douglas Story - 09/29/22
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Lonely Are The Brave

Memorable movie, but Whiskey was the real star.
Well...besides the dog, of course.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: A True Kirk Douglas Story - 09/30/22
Originally Posted by rainshot
One of his good movies was with James Coburn “Draw”. He was reported to be a sexual predator and a mean one at that. I liked some of his work but not all. He was good at playing narcissistic characters.

At the end of the movie 'Rambo' Stallone talked about how hard the movie was to make. They had different actors coming and going, Douglas showed up and tried to completely change everything about the movie and said if they'd do what he wanted he'd be in the movie.
I don't recall what his advice was but it was completely out in left field with the story-line.
I never cared for him as a cowboy.
Posted By: HawkI Re: A True Kirk Douglas Story - 09/30/22
I didn't think TRH would be a fan of Isadore Demsky.....
Posted By: Limapapa Re: A True Kirk Douglas Story - 09/30/22
Lonely Are The Brave was based on The Brave Cowboy, a book by Edward Abbey of The Monkeywrench Gang fame. Sort of similar themes.
Originally Posted by HawkI
I didn't think TRH would be a fan of Isadore Demsky.....

A Russian Jew. It is a bit strange.
Posted By: Docbar Re: A True Kirk Douglas Story - 09/30/22
Lonely Are The Brave

A very good movie that deserves more recognition.
Lonely Are The Brave

Great one Bob !!!
Wow! So surprising to hear he was a Jew. Not. Old news. They get lots of starring roles because Hollywood is largely a Jewish thing, and they are big on in-group preference.
© 24hourcampfire