Home
My buddy and I are flying down to San Antonio Friday evening to pick up a car and we will drive it home Sat and Sun.

What cool stuff is there to see in San Antonio and even Dallas?
The only two things I would be interested in are Dealy Plaza in Dallas and the Alamo in San Antone. I would then get the flock out of either city...and I'm a native Texan, if that gives my opinion any weight in your estimation.
Thursday nights at BillyBobs in Ft Worth used to be a good time 15 or so years ago. We had quarterly meetings in Ft Worth so it was a go to.
Alamo, river walk, find a hole in the wall bar.

The Alamo is a must see. As is the 150 year old bar in the historic Menger Hotel right next door to the Alamo.

Teddy Roosevelt and his Rough Riders volunteers used it for drinking while in San Antonio before heading to charge up San Juan Hill.
And quite a few other famous visitors, too.
Including:
Ulysses Grant, Robert E Lee, Sam Houston, Benjamin Harrison, Woodrow Wilson, William H. Taft, William McKinley, Harry Truman, Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, Lyndon Johnson, military figures, and William Hood Simpson; and other public figures, including Oscar Wilde.
Make sure you’re packin’, especially in San Antonio.
Well Hipps Bubble Room is long gone in San Antonio. I lament the passing of the hot burger steak. The river walk used to be ok. The NSSA outside of town.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Alamo, river walk, find a hole in the wall bar.

Great Charlie Pride tune. One of my favorites.

And the hole in the wall Mexican Food joints are much better than any on the River Walk.
The other Historic Spanish Missions are cool too.

Nagle’s Gun Store used to be a really good shop. Haven’t been in there in a couple of years, though.

Birdwatcher would probably give you a great tour of the Alamo, if he had the free time.
I’m guessing he’s pretty busy right now teaching School, though.
Originally Posted by RiverRider
The only two things I would be interested in are Dealy Plaza in Dallas and the Alamo in San Antone. I would then get the flock out of either city...and I'm a native Texan, if that gives my opinion any weight in your estimation.

Yep. Dealy Plaza and The Book Depository.
I’d pass on the rest of Dallas.

The Stockyards are pretty cool just down the road in Ft Worth. Some great museums there too.

Chiliinstructor always in Dallas
Originally Posted by tedthorn
A friend is flying me down to San Antonio Friday evening to pick up a car he bought and I will drive it home for him.

Suicide would be my pick.

Or keep driving.
Things to do in San Antonio and Dallas

Leave as soon as you can. Both cities pretty much suck.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Chiliinstructor always in Dallas

Poor Shorty. The Little Man Syndrome is strong in this one. 😂😆🤣
Originally Posted by MAC

Yep.

Nagels excluded.
Originally Posted by deflave
A friend is flying me down to San Antonio Friday evening to pick up a car he bought and I will drive it home for him.

Suicide would be my pick.

Or keep driving.

Well....there's always that
In the Dallas/ Ft Worth area I would visit my grandson and great grand children.
Chicken Express. #2, fries, biscuit, large sweet tea. Family side of jalapeno poppers

You're welcome.
Jackson Armory. see some nice double rifles Heym
Originally Posted by ipopum
In the Dallas/ Ft Worth area I would visit my grandson and great grand children.

Ok....
Anything you want me to tell them?
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Chicken Express. #2, fries, biscuit, large sweet tea. Family side of jalapeno poppers

You're welcome.

I'm dead serious.

If he's starving, add some fried pickles to the party....and Shiner blonde.

You're welcome.

I'm dead serious.

San Antonio or Dallas?
Alamo, Pappadeaux, Buckhorn hall of horns, LaFonda on Main mexican food. Then take a drive out near Boerne and Comfort's country roads and look for big axis bucks and all sorts of exotics.
One time I was up in Poteet tx and the timing chain on my El Camino went out, so my buddy and I were stuck there. We hitchhiked into San Antonio and hung out on the river walk all night and had a good time, next day I hitchhiked back to corpus but got caught in that storm that sweep the church bus off the road with all those kids. That was not any fun, pretty bad stuff.
Originally Posted by Stammster

Says the Mo-Fo from H-Towne
I've not been in Dallas or San Antonio for a long time but if I were to visit again, I'd ask some advice here from the Texians as to a really good Mexican food restaurant and a really good authentic BBQ brisket joint.

Have a safe trip.

L.W.
One time I was up in Poteet tx and the timing chain on my El Camino went out, so my buddy and I were stuck there. We hitchhiked into San Antonio and hung out on the river walk all night and had a good time, next day I hitchhiked back to corpus but got caught in that storm that sweep the church bus off the road with all those kids. That was not any fun, pretty bad stuff.

I have a place on Ocean drive in a well guarded gated community.
My buddy and I are flying down to San Antonio Friday evening to pick up a car and we will drive it home Sat and Sun.

It really depends on your age.
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco

Done a lot of work in some of those homes on Ocean dr. got a hardwood stair case I got to finish the trim on when it comes in.
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by MAC

Yep.

Nagels excluded.

Now Nagel’s included. They started computerization of all of Mr Nagel’s hord and took the fun out of it. It really sucked during the Plandemic, they made you stand in line and only allowed a few at a time.

Done a lot of work in some of those homes on Ocean dr. got a hardwood stair case I got to finish the trim on when it comes in.

I was just there last week. Only sucky thang is my Ocean drive gate is only open for a few hours in the morning then 2-5pm
Esquire bar in San Antonio. They make a great old fashion
OP, if you are an old codger and appreciate older stuff then:

Walk through the Alamo, go to the Menger Bar next door and have a whiskey, do explore the hotel and pool area, there are two good restrooms there (secret), go to Buckhorn saloon and have a beer, Eat at Shilo’s, get in the car and head for Dallas.

I was just there last week. Only sucky thang is my Ocean drive gate is only open for a few hours in the morning then 2-5pm
let me know next time you're in town.
The crab claws at Campisi's on Mockingbird. Their salads are outstanding too. Rays Sporting Goods is an awesome gun store.

The Alamo is very interesting. Walk around and remember that blood was ankle deep inside its walls.

Since you're headed north, the best view of Santone is the Alamo on your rearview mirror and the northbound lane of IH35.
I'd take a left at Hillsboro and follow IH35W up through Fort Worth, then keep heading north.

If you're gun nuts, the best stop would probably be the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum in Waco, TX.
Sits right on the banks of the Brazos river.
You can throw a rock and hit it from the right, northbound lane of IH35 just before you cross the Brazos.

Don't know about now, but Cogdill's in Waco was one BIG privately owned gun store!

They used to have "Little George Lainhart" on display.
It was a .69 caliber Confederate sniper rifle. The stock was no more than a rosewood stock with a cheekpiece on both sides so it could be shot right or left handed.

Enjoy your trip!
Since I mostly hunt exotics, I’m thinking about spending whitetail season fishing and drinking beer.
Since I mostly hunt exotics, I’m thinking about spending whitetail season fishing and drinking beer.

Figured you for a high fence hunter, Johnny.

Feeders can help connect the dots, I hear.
cool
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Figured you for a high fence hunter, Johnny.

cool

False, I believe in survival of the fittest and free range migration
I’m not a feeder person by nature, but they do work
So you spend deer season drinking beer? Whatever you say, Cap.

Get that good grain fed axis. wink
I stay out of both places. Just left meskin food restaurant in San Saba after dumping stock. Have fun!

I never figgered you would know.

You connect the dots so well. whistle
So you spend deer season drinking beer? Whatever you say, Cap.

Get that good grain fed axis. wink

Jag, my intent is to let the whitetail take refuge at my place from other hunters, and go sit at the coast, act like I’m fishing, while drinking beer.
I could be there.

I never figgered you would know.

You connect the dots so well. whistle

I really didn’t until just a few years ago. I had to submit because even at our place in Alabama the old bastards are putting feeders up right in our greenfields and I’m forced to buy a baiting permit just to sit there. I gave up !
If'in yer in Big D, do yourself a favor and go to Terry Blacks BBQ - 3025 Main St.

If you'd like to see a large number of negroes, try The Galleria or anywhere in S. Dallas.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I stay out of both places. Just left meskin food restaurant in San Saba after dumping stock. Have fun!

Which one did you go to, Bob? I usually go to Jalisco Cafe, or whatever it's called when I'm in San Saba. There's another one, I think, but I haven't tried it yet. And I wonder about Commie's Tacos, haven't tried that one yet either. I'll probably be down there Saturday morning for a hog hunt.
People seem to like the Riverwalk, like most locals I ain’t been in years. If you are walking back to the hotel, Dirty Nelly’s Irish Pub on the Riverwalk might be a good place to tip a few.

Saturday morning the Original Blanco Cafe 419 N St Mary’s Street opens at 6 and is pretty good.

An Alamo stop is required, doesn’t open till 9,if I’m there I ain’t there until noontime at which time you’ll probably be gone. The Bristoe Western Art Museum isn’t too far from there and worth a look.

Nagel’s IMHO ain’t like it was.

I can’t think of anything in Dallas worth braving the traffic and tolls unless you just gotta see Dealy Plaza.

The Texas Ranger Museum OTOH is right off I 35 in Waco, easy to get off and on, and well worth the time.
Jaliscos. Pretty damn good food!

Yep, not bad at all. Maybe we'll meet up there one of these days and I'll buy you lunch.

Yep, not bad at all. Maybe we'll meet up there one of these days and I'll buy you lunch.

Sounds like a plan!
Rolandos Super Taco on Hildebrand Ave in SA. Eat , then get the hell outta that city.
One thing about this place.....

You gotta pan a lot of sand to find any gold

These threads often take several different directions
As Uncle Ted once said "San Antonio, San Antonio, suck my bonenio".

You're welcome.

I'm dead serious.

San Antonio or Dallas?

Either/or...even in between

You're welcome.

I'm dead serious.

San Antonio or Dallas?

Ok....it's a chain?

You're welcome.

I'm dead serious.

San Antonio or Dallas?

Ok....it's a chain?

https://chickene.com/locations/

Yes

If you are interested in that, I have a place in New Mexico. Most times we always find a small nugget. Its a tough hike though.
There a lots of shooting range.
Skip Dallas and go through Grapevine, hit the Chicken Express there. It is a fast food chain but dang good chicken.
Just about any other restaurant you might want in Grapevine also.
The State Fair of Texas begins this weekend in Dallas at Fair Park which also has some of the best Art Deco architecture in America. Always a good time. Great food at the fair.

Very close to White Rock lake is the Dallas Arboretum. Considered to be the best park in the nation. And it is incredible; truly magnificent. Take the time to tour the sprawling DeGolyer house on the arboretum grounds - Spanish Colonial Revival architecture.

Don’t ask Dallasites about JFK, Dealy Plaza or the school book depository. Even though that was 60 years ago, we would just as soon pretend that didn’t happen.

If you have your gal with you and she likes to shop, Dallas is a great destination. NorthPark Center is the best place to shop. Huge Neiman-Marcus and Nordstrom’s in that mall; many high end smaller stores. If you have money to blow, head to Highland Park Village to shop.

If you like modern architecture, try the Nasher Sculpture Center downtown and then walk over to Klyde Warren Park which is built over a downtown highway.

If you want to see nature, go to the Trinity River Audubon Center. It is a massive urban forest near downtown.

Don’t waste your time at Southfork - it is nothing but a big white house that has been over-commercialized.

If you are going to drive between Dallas and San Antonio, avoid I-35 - way too much traffic and everyone drives like a madman. Much more pleasant alternative is to take 281 north out of San Antonio; at Hico, continue north on 220 toward Glen Rose; turns into hiway 67 before Glen Rose; stay on 67 into Dallas. Good scenery. Nice small towns with names such as Blanco, Lampasas and Marble Falls. Relaxed drive.

Downtown Glen Rose has some charm. West of Glen Rose is the Creation Evidence Museum (biblical account of creation) and Dinosaur Valley State Park which has some fossilized dinosaur footprints in the creekbed.

Should you choose to stay in San Antonio, take a day to go to Fredericksburg. Settled by German immigrants. Has a good WW II museum - the National Museum of the Pacific War / Admiral (Chester) Nimitz gallery. A few tasting rooms for wineries (Texas is the nation’s fourth-largest wine producing state). Some good German food.

Just east of Fredericksburg is the LBJ Ranch (President Lyndon Baines Johnson) operated by the National Park service. You can drive some of the property and might see some white tails. You can see some longhorn cattle. There is some decent history to learn about at the family house.

The town of Boerne is another good excursion not too far from San Antonio. Not a lot to do there, but it is a charming town to see. Your wife will like the shopping on S Main St, just north of River Rd.

Adjacent to the town of New Braunfels (on I-35 between San Antonio and Austin) is the tiny town of Gruene. Try to catch an evening music performance at Gruene Hall; some boot-scooting dancing. Eat at the Gristmill restaurant and sit outside overlooking the river.

In San Antonio, ride one of the boats in the river walk area. And walk a portion of the river walk. Nice place to chill sitting in an outdoor cafe and drinking a margarita - definitely enjoy some Mexican food.

Avoid Austin - too pretentious. Badly overcrowded highways; terrible traffic. And whatever you do, stay away from Waco and all of the Chip & Joanna Magnolia trap - nothing but a place to buy home decorating knick-knacks.

If you insist on the fastest drive between Dallas and San Antonio, consider spending the money to take the 130 toll road that bypasses Austin. Don’t be surprised to find yourself driving 100+ mph on this road.
In San Antonio, there's a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse around the corner from the Alamo.....don't eat there! The Menger is good for a look or two, and of course the Alamo and all the tourist in short shorts and dresses is worth some time if you have it to spend looking things over.

True. And that can be good, and it can be bad too. Like any group of, say, a dozen guys sitting around a fire there is going to be more than one conversation going on. And unlike a group of a dozen sitting around a fire there's going to be some pretty serous disagreement going on. That's just how forums have evolved...and especially where free speech is embraced.

Hope you find the nuggets you seek, Ted. And have a good trip!
Defiantly get ahold of Mike "birdwatcher".
Originally Posted by wytex
Skip Dallas and go through Grapevine, hit the Chicken Express there. It is a fast food chain but dang good chicken.

Not a fan of Chicken Express, but there's something for everyone in Grapevine. That's where I sit this very moment. LOTS of great places to eat!

Not a fan of Chicken Express, but there's something for everyone in Grapevine. That's where I sit this very moment. LOTS of great places to eat!

+1. Wouldn't go out of my way 1 block for ChickenfreakingExpress. Grapevine is great, especially that old downtown area.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

+1. Wouldn't go out of my way 1 block for ChickenfreakingExpress. Grapevine is great, especially that old downtown area.

Yep. Chicken Express sucks. If I was going to eat fast food fried chicken, I would hit Golden Chick. It is much better.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Nagle’s Gun Store used to be a really good shop. Haven’t been in there in a couple of years, though.

I was in Nagle’s last Saturday. They had a very small fraction of what they usually have.
Originally Posted by Stammster

Good advice for any big Democrat run city in Texas (they're all run by Democrats).
Alamo of course. not a heckuvalot on the path home, and Dealey Plazia isnt really that danged interesting.

if you want to stop and have a distilled beverage near Denton, gimme a holler. smile
Cowboys dancehall in both cities!
© 24hourcampfire