Home
Sitting here pondering when the last time most of us went on an honest to goodness squirrel hunt? Got an old Remington rolling block that could be used for breakfast of squirrel gravy and biscuits
Last season. We hunt squirrels throughout the season every year.
Went for some pineys w my CZ455 one day last yr. No shots fired.
Before that it was maybe a decade back, shot one w a Ruger 1022 fingergroove.
I gave up on fox and greys.
Just shoot pineys.

And during reg squirrel season (no season on em but still ).

Have some friendly ones around the house (fox). One got ran over yesterday and neighbors out in yards didn't do anything about it.
So I went and bagged the little fella and disposed of him. Lazy asses can feed em, but won't pick em up when they get hammered in front of their houses. Thought that rather disrespectful
Best question I've heard all week. Too long.
Last week. Fugger eat through a soffit and took up residence. Put metal over the access point and she started trying to chew around it. Hunted her for 3 days, never a clean shot. Finally caught her on a roof ridge and that was that.

I walk the woods with a 22 in most falls but I rarely get on em. I am deer scouting more than squirrel hunting.
Last winter.
A while. 10 years or so. I have been without a squirrel dog and with a no skwrl eating woman for a long time now.
Durn sqills. nuthin but prolems.
I bet I haven't gone squirrel hunting since I was 14 years old.
Went yesterday with my buddy took 15 rounds to put the sucker down, Booner for sure!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I used to enjoy it a lot, but since I bought a crossbow, that’s what I spend October with. Saw so many deer up close while squirrel hunting I just couldn’t resist the chance to make some serious meat and enjoy the mild weather while doing it. If the rules permitted, I’d pack a pistol for squirrels too, but that’s out here. Crossbow bolts are too expensive to fling at rodents.
This summer, little bastards were eating my tomatoes
Last year with my 1909 Savage 29 pump 22.

I remember being in the woods constantly as a youngster
With my Savage 15a ss. Hated pulling the cocking piece back with cold fingers.
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Went yesterday with my buddy took 15 rounds to put the sucker down, Booner for sure!

That’s just a hoot!
Kill the fugga,s to stop cutting acorns early so they stay on the tree longer for the deer later on.
This past Thursday. Have gone several times since our Season opened on Sept. 1st. Had squirrel gravy and biscuits for supper Friday night and leftovers for lunch today.
Been a spell . Used to love it .
They good eating , but for some reason deer hunting took over .
I guess one thing is early season is to warm , still full of undesirables at that time and when deer season gets here , I deer hunt to end of season and by that time hunting is pretty much over for everything .
I do like em in the woods with me though , little buggers will give you a heads up when something is getting close .
Funny as hell to watch em play too .
Kenneth
What pappy said .
Kenneth
Actually, the last time I remember squirrel hunting I was 12, I still remember the shot to this day with my pellet gun, and that was 40 years ago!
1975 in a pecan orchard near Georgetown Tx.
I went last week and going again on Tuesday. I use a suppressed .22 and sub sonic ammo. I’m blessed in that I can walk out my door, walk across a field, and be in hardwoods with plenty of squirrels. The’re cuttin hickory now and will be tearing up acorns in a couple weeks. I hunt them hard until deer season opens. Enjoyable times for an old man.
Way too many years! memtb
Been a long, LONG time. Did some of my more serious and most productive deer scouting while squirrel hunting.
Last year. My buddy and I made a special point to do it, we both brought lever action .22s. Neither one of us had been squirrel hunting in at least 10-15 years, so we scheduled a classic old school hunt. A great time was had, but never saw a single squirrel.
I hunt tree rats every season, its one of my favorite things to do plus i love their meat.
Sunday AM.

Still a lot of leaves on so shooting them with a 22 is a bit challenging right now.
Squirrels are a nuisance around here and get shot year round. They get into the attic and cause problems. Plus they make a lot of racket being squirrelly in the ceiling.

I put up wire mess soffit covers last fall and I noticed they have already started chewing at the wood trying to get inside for winter.

The 17 HMR and 22 LR are always close by to end them.

🦫
I've never had the privilege let alone any kind of opportunity
Saturday.
My 13 year old and I killed five right here behind the house.
He got three and I got two. He with his 39A and me with my little Remington 580 topped with a 4X Leupold rimfire.
It was nice and cool and just a really pleasant hunt.
I believe that makes us 19 this season.
Last squirrel season.
I hope to get out today, I do more scouting for deer tho. Like most here now deer is open now and that gets more time. Not many grouse to hunt anymore.
Around 1994.
I used to squirrel hunt a lot and then started deer hunting. I got focused on deer hunting and deer rifles and forgot about squirrels and rimfire rifles. I made an effort last year to get back to squirrel hunting and shooting rimfires again. Squirrel hunting and shooting rimfires is a lot of fun, gets you outside, and it is great practice for shooting.
Check out the Small Game forum
I open one of the window in my living room and shoot the ones eating at my bird feeders.
about fifty years ago, down here the only place we have them is in town.
Originally Posted by blanket
Sitting here pondering when the last time most of us went on an honest to goodness squirrel hunt? Got an old Remington rolling block that could be used for breakfast of squirrel gravy and biscuits

Went Yesterday.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Squirrels are a nuisance around here and get shot year round. They get into the attic and cause problems. Plus they make a lot of racket being squirrelly in the ceiling.

I put up wire mess soffit covers last fall and I noticed they have already started chewing at the wood trying to get inside for winter.

The 17 HMR and 22 LR are always close by to end them.

🦫

Same here. Every day is squirrel season.
I can, and do, shoot them in the back yard. I hunt them mostly out at my son's place. I usually skin and freeze them until I get enough to make Brunswick stew.
2 or 3 years. I need to go.
1993 or so. Just was never a big thing for me.
Couple weeks ago for grays. Got 2 reds yesterday while waiting for the dogs to get a bear jumped.
Weekend before last. I've got an 11 year old that loves hunting them.

They are cutting the hickory nuts big time here so we limited out pretty quick.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Well I took my kids when they were young. The youngest is 47y.o. so if he was 12y.o. at the time it has been 35 years since I was in the squirrel woods. Now me personally hunting squirrels, most likely around 45 years ago.
Originally Posted by kandpand
I used to squirrel hunt a lot and then started deer hunting. I got focused on deer hunting and deer rifles and forgot about squirrels and rimfire rifles. I made an effort last year to get back to squirrel hunting and shooting rimfires again. Squirrel hunting and shooting rimfires is a lot of fun, gets you outside, and it is great practice for shooting.
Check out the Small Game forum
A hell of a lot more fun than deer hunting.

Don't get me wrong I like deer hunting but the squirrel hunting is more fun, not as big of a reward but a lot easier to deal with and can be more selective on hunting the real nice days since we have 8-9 months to hunt them.
Last winter. It is one of my favorite things to do.
Originally Posted by Dude270

What a great pic. Special times.
Little over a month ago
I like to wait until the leaves and bugs are gone. I used to go from opening day until the end of the season, every chance I could go, I did. Got kinda burned out. Still, I have a bunch of good .22 rifles to use, when the leaves fall down.
I hunt vicariously through 24HCF members.

So, last week I suppose it was.
I'll never get sick of squirrel hunting or eating squirrel gravy and buiscuits. Very satisfying popping a bushytail out of a tall hickory, watching it fall through the branches and hearing it hit the ground with a solid thud. I've gone every year since I started back in the 70's and wouldn't miss it. Will be heading out for more this afternoon if it isn't raining.
2 days ago

Right in the back yard

Me and ren50 probably killed 12-15 in the last 2 weeks.

Just keep the shotgun propped up beside the Weber grill.

My yard is absolutely shadowed by 100ft tall shagbark hickory trees.

Toss the rat bastards across the fence into Gene’s cow pasture. Smelled awful around here for several days. Buzzards circling.
Originally Posted by Tide_Change

Would you please post some hunting and fishing pictures, so I can say I was there with you.

#VicariousHunter

🦫
Couple years ago. On my farm. Lost two arrows, got one rat. Too expensive.
Originally Posted by KillerBee

John Burns, is that ewe?
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I went last week and going again on Tuesday. I use a suppressed .22 and sub sonic ammo. I’m blessed in that I can walk out my door, walk across a field, and be in hardwoods with plenty of squirrels. The’re cuttin hickory now and will be tearing up acorns in a couple weeks. I hunt them hard until deer season opens. Enjoyable times for an old man.

You are blessed.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I can, and do, shoot them in the back yard. I hunt them mostly out at my son's place. I usually skin and freeze them until I get enough to make Brunswick stew.

Nice rig.
Originally Posted by Dude270

Great pic.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Tide_Change

Would you please post some hunting and fishing pictures, so I can say I was there with you.

#VicariousHunter

🦫

Hell, we was there.

~ Elmer Keith, Tide Change, and The Beav

LOL

[Linked Image]
Funny, as a kid that is how we learned how to hunt. Father of a friend of mine growing up would issue 5 .22 rounds and expect a squirrel for every used round. Taught us to be patient and disciplined. Guess most of us have "matured" past it but its still fun. I make it a point to get after them after deer season each year.

Rene on the other hand, has a personal jihad going on with tree rats!
😂🦫
I feel sorry for you guys that have to wait until fall for season to start up.

Killing those young ones in late May and early June let's a guy eat some very good tender squirrels. Get on a den tree and whack 3 or 4 feating.

Exceptional eatin.
I hunt the red squirrels near my yard every day, but I
don't eat them. Destructive little bastids.

As far as gray or fox squirrels, I've never eaten one, but always wanted to try them.
Used to hunt them a lot but, been a few years since I've been.
After one chewed the engine harness in half on the wife's 1990 25th Anniversary Mustang convertible they get shot on sight around my house.

And usually go shoot a mess to make sauce piquant at least once during the week I spend deer hunting on my Missouri lease.
I used to love hunting them when I was young. Went the deer hunting route, and the duck hunting route, then the varmint hunting route. Think I will go in the morning. I have a timber full of nut trees and an old Remington
We can carry while deer hunting but do not
Yes
Two days ago I crossed the centerline to bag a marvelous fox squirrel specimen. 39550000 gr Tundra did the trick.
Originally Posted by slumlord
2 days ago

Right in the back yard

Me and ren50 probably killed 12-15 in the last 2 weeks.

Just keep the shotgun propped up beside the Weber grill.

My yard is absolutely shadowed by 100ft tall shagbark hickory trees.

Toss the rat bastards across the fence into Gene’s cow pasture. Smelled awful around here for several days. Buzzards circling.
Thought you were southern boys? Wasting a good meal
Last weekend. Lord willing next weekend too.
I quit bow hunting about 25 years ago and went back to the fun stuff.
Shotgun or rifle when walking in the fall, Buckmark when horseback. RAc 17HMR in the winter when the shots and the hikes can be long.
Serious squirrel hunting? It's been at least 35 years. I'm 62, and squirrel and quail hunting was all we did when I was growing up. We were serious about it. It's what got our family through a great depression.

Then I started deer hunting.

I miss those days sometime, but not enough to abandon a tree stand. Not yet, anyhow.
It’s been several years. I loved to hunt them when I was kid and could hunt them out my grandparents back door. I’d do a lot more of it now if I had land or a place to hunt them that was convenient and a few minutes down the road. Driving 40 minutes each way to hunt public land isn’t a big thing but just enough that I don’t do it much. I’d rather ice fish.

Squirrels taste a lot better than rabbits IMO. Quartered pan fried squirrel served in a pot of baked beans with brown sugar and bacon😋
We missed last year but my daughter will be going for her first time this year. 15 yrs old and I’ve got into shooting! She loves it!
© 24hourcampfire