Home
This guy is totally nuts. He lives full time on a 32' sailboat. He stayed home and rode out the hurricane. He had a week to sail that thing away from there but didn't.

SAILBOAT
There's this guy:

Leave it to a cat owner.

Obviously he didn't know how to ride out a storm in a boat.

Note: upper left hand corner, boats lazily sitting at anchor in Ft.Myers after the storm.

The media tries hard to edit out the non-idiots

[Linked Image]
Had a high school friend actually leave the states to ride out Maria on a big cat, I think 40+ feet.
The boat was found, she and her boyfriend were never found.
actually with a storm that big (at one point is stretched from Cuba to North Carolina) and as erratic as the path was, it's damn hard to just 'sail away from it'. This especially true in the Gulf of Mexico. Weather is a whole different thing down here than it is in most of the country.
Rrrrrrr Me Hardees... Thars a Blow Comin'...
It may be hard to sail away from but I assure you that he won't ride the next one out.
I've rode out a couple of hurricanes on a boat. The worst was hurricane Hugo in the Virgin Islands. When the boat is your lively hood you take care of it. My son stayed till Wednesday afternoon in Apalachicola just to make sure Ian was going to follow it's projected path.
Like I said in another thread, the majority of boat owners probably shouldn't be. And a lot of them living on their sailboats know very little about sailing them and/or do not have them in any condition to be sailed. Maybe even lucky if they can be motored. I wouldn't be surprised to learn this guy's boat hadn't moved the whole four years he's lived in it.
Even many boat owners that consider themselves accomplished don't have a clue as to how many feet of line is required to keep an anchor from dragging in a storm.
© 24hourcampfire