Home
https://wsvn.com/news/local/florida/smashing-success-nasa-asteroid-strike-results-in-big-nudge/

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — A spacecraft that plowed into a small, harmless asteroid millions of miles away succeeded in shifting its orbit, NASA said Tuesday in announcing the results of its save-the-world test.

The space agency attempted the first test of its kind two weeks ago to see if in the future a killer rock could be nudged out of Earth’s way.

The Dart spacecraft carved a crater into the asteroid Dimorphos on Sept. 26, hurling debris out into space and creating a cometlike trail of dust and rubble stretching several thousand miles (kilometers). It took days of telescope observations to determine how much the impact altered the path of the 525-foot (160-meter) asteroid around its companion, a much bigger space rock.

Before the impact, the moonlet took 11 hours and 55 minutes to circle its parent asteroid. Scientists had hoped to shave off 10 minutes but NASA Administrator Bill Nelson said the impact altered the asteroid’s orbit by about 32 minutes.
Good shootin’!
I'm sure they used Nosler Partitions, naturally.
Originally Posted by Godogs57

If they had used a partion it would've been a complete pass thru and dropped like a rock no more than 50 yards after.

They should hire us to design the next projectile!
So- - - - -given the probability of Murphy's Law coming into play- - - - -the likelihood of turning a "near miss" trajectory into a direct hit on Earth is now a distinct possibility!
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
So- - - - -given the probability of Murphy's Law coming into play- - - - -the likelihood of turning a "near miss" trajectory into a direct hit on Earth is now a distinct possibility!

My Thought as well.
Sounds about right...
Originally Posted by funshooter

My Thought as well.

Mine too, the .gov will fug it up.
easy fellows, just follow the science. Right? lol
SMH. Leave it to the campfire to turn a positive into a negative. lol
What could possibly go wrong? That'd really be the chits!
Bergers?
Originally Posted by viking
Bergers?
Similarly priced...
Anyone calculate the BC on that rocket?
Silly rabbit, there is no BC in outer space. laugh
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by viking
Bergers?
Similarly priced...
LOL
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Dohhhh!

At least they were able to open the box!
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Sure there is…………it just doesn’t matter 😮
What a waste of money! Everyone knows that anyone with a 6.5 Creedmore could have handled such a situation.
Originally Posted by High_Noon
What a waste of money! Everyone knows that anyone with a 6.5 Creedmore could have handled such a situation.

Yup. Sounds like it was just coming in to range too.

Osky
My Thought as well.

Tell us you don’t understand without telling us.
😳
Originally Posted by ironbender
My Thought as well.

Tell us you don’t understand without telling us.
😳

Unintended consequences are always accounted for by the Government.

Biden be like, "Hold my beer."
"Listen here, this is the deal, during my 2nd year as Senate President I shot the hemorrhoid with a rocket that most people say saved the world from dinosaurs."
I’m sure the guys in the long range shooting forum are eaten up with jealousy by now.
The Dart weighed around 800 pounds...this should put some dicks in the dirt of the light bullet crowd.
If we can see it, we can hit it.

How many can we see?
Originally Posted by sactoller

At least they were able to open the box!

At least they were able to FIND a box!
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Everyone knows that anyone with a 6.5 Creedmore could have handled such a situation.

This is not a job for just anyone. The legendary rifleman known as BigStick is the only one for this job.
Hope it didn’t over-penetrate…….😱
Watch this program grow into hundreds of billions of dollars as they start identifying and shooting asteroids like in the old video game. It’ll be to save the world from a cataclysmic event of which only they can know about and verify.
The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress

Was this a warning shot?

You don't suppose Vlad couldn't do strategic re entry too?
The government will save us!
Hmmmmm. Depending on where a asteroid were to hit the earth "it may not be a bad thing"

Ever think of that?
© 24hourcampfire