Home
Posted By: dvnv Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Thinking I would have done it differently.

Posted By: local_dirt Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
What a dumbass.
Posted By: Raferman Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Shoot the bitch and go home.
Sheesh
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
lucky to be alive. Lots of mistakes here.
Posted By: mbhunt Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
I would have been the aggressor with a gun in my hand. Kitty probably would have died.
Posted By: mikieb Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Goodness. Really ?

When you see an animal like that... (cat, wolf or bear...). and at the sight of you, it aint running away... Backing up is not the first thing you do.
Posted By: duke61 Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Why not use the rifle and nail him if he was elk hunting, I'm sure he wasn't using a handgun for elk.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by duke61
Why not use the rifle and nail him if he was elk hunting, I'm sure he wasn't using a handgun for elk.
Maybe he was bowhunting?
Posted By: shootem Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
So the next time kitty encounters human no problem. They just make a loud noise. It was time to stop retreating and let the cat enter your sure hit zone. Mag dump. For the next guy.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Morewood Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Missed twice. C'mon man.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by Morewood
Missed twice. C'mon man.

I am sure that the fellow only wanted to caution the kitty, not harm the endangered beast.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by mikieb
Goodness. Really ?

When you see an animal like that... (cat, wolf or bear...). and at the sight of you, it aint running away... Backing up is not the first thing you do.

Of course not.

First thing ya do is start video!
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Stupid basturd got time to video the deal but not deal with it. He needed to be recycled thru a cats azzhole.
Posted By: Springcove Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Darwinism at its finest.
Posted By: pullit Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
with the cat following him like that, maybe walk toward the truck so you don't have to drag it so far when you shoot it in the face
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Shot to kill in those situations and save lots of potential B&C Whitetails!

Same thing happened to my friend he killed it, and it was HUGE!!!!
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
I am sure his heart was pounding and he wasn't exactly thinking straight.

I'd probably have ditched the cell phone to concentrate on aiming the gun, but at the same time I'd think that the footage would have been plenty good enough evidence to prove self defense. Who knows what happened after he turned the camera off????
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by ironbender
Goodness. Really ?

Of course not.

I am guessing that he started videoing when he saw it...but maybe it hadn't seen him yet and/or hadn't shown any aggression?
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
What a pussy.
Posted By: viking Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Hope he shoots his bow better
Posted By: Cabriolet Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
We have a lot of Cougar here, I am 4 miles on the north boundary of Olympic National Park in Washington State. The big Toms prowl the canyon just behind the barn, killed all of the neighbor's goats one night about 5 years ago. State trappers jumped it the next morning but it got into the park and gave them the slip.

Two years ago one of our livestock guard dogs jumped one behind the barn and chased it over the fence back into the park. Dog was missing for 2 days then came trotting down the road looking for home.

So, my 629 S&W often is in the holster whenever I am doing work behind the barn, near the canyon. Few years back one was down by the creek, dogs were going nuts. I wandered down there and saw just the tail as it slipped back into the trees.

"They are here" and reproducing well.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
That kind of mindset I’ll never understand but it’s becoming more common unfortunately. The back up and back down beta-think is not something that I can understand nor is the ability to prioritize recording the event over accurate rounds on target because his shooting was horrendous. If that was me that cat would’ve been dead before I remembered (under stress) to hit record.
Posted By: elkmtb Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
This is pure gold on the neighborhood app. Lots of comments about how the poor puty tat just had fur babies in the area and it meant no harm so dont be shooting at it. LOL. I would have fired long before that dude. I'm sure this is in California or somewhere where they would lock you up unless you had scratches on you.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
You can shoot them here no problem.
If you call it in, the F&G officers are very friendly about it.
Stock animals or personal safety, fire away.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
I seen it on the TV, just need some dogs, run that cat up a tree, then hit that tree a few times with a switch and that will send that cat to the high country with his tail between his legs.

Take care
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Any idea what State he was in, besides confusion?

Even the nature loving wife here said that thing needed shot as soon as it started coming toward him. Kitty language is not that hard to understand.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
3-S time- - - - -and keep the damned camera in your pocket!
Posted By: losttrail60 Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
A lot of lion experts that have never seen a lion.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by ironbender
Goodness. Really ?

Of course not.

I am guessing that he started videoing when he saw it...but maybe it hadn't seen him yet and/or hadn't shown any aggression?
Could be. Rolling video on life seems to be SOP these days.
Posted By: RMiller2 Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Good thing for the guy that the cat gave up.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by Morewood
Missed twice. C'mon man.

I am sure that the fellow only wanted to caution the kitty, not harm the endangered beast.

They’re a looooongggg way from endangered. I’d love to kill a cat. That looked like a nice one.
Posted By: FLPanhandle Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
I see three steps to this problem.... and it is a problem when an animal capable of killing a man is stalking a man!!!
1) Use weapon of choice and cause man killing animal to enter the next life.
2) Change soiled pants
3) Continue doing whatever you were doing before the encounter
Posted By: Raferman Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by losttrail60
Why'd you change your handle calnum?
Posted By: funshooter Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by elkmtb
This is pure gold on the neighborhood app. Lots of comments about how the poor puty tat just had fur babies in the area and it meant no harm so dont be shooting at it. LOL. I would have fired long before that dude. I'm sure this is in California or somewhere where they would lock you up unless you had scratches on you.

Commyfornia Fired our head Fish and Game Director for winning a Lotto Ticket to take down a Nasty Cougar in Idaho Years back.
The guy went to Idaho Out Side of Commyfornia's jurisdiction and shot and killed a known bad Cat.
When he got back home the Animal Rights ChitHeads petitioned the State and had the Guy Fired because he was a Resident of Commyfornia and Killed a Protected Animal.

Even Thou it was in a Different State it did not matter to them.
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Do you really think he meant to just scare the cat, or just missed it?
Posted By: Caplock Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Somethings not right......too steady a hand on the camera for such a situation.
Posted By: DBT Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Danger, drama, a video....money to be made.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22

Of course it is in California, the shooter just held up a liquor store the same way, backing out the door with a comb and a bottle of Old Harper...
Posted By: Waders Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by Caplock
Somethings not right......too steady a hand on the camera for such a situation.

I agree it's pretty rock solid. I suspect that the hunter/shooter had his phone in some sort of a harness to create a kind of faux go-pro.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
That kind of mindset I’ll never understand but it’s becoming more common unfortunately. The back up and back down beta-think is not something that I can understand nor is the ability to prioritize recording the event over accurate rounds on target because his shooting was horrendous. If that was me that cat would’ve been dead before I remembered (under stress) to hit record.

This.

Put the damn phone down.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by duke61
Might have had a 6 x 24 by 52mm or whatever that is useless under 100 yard.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/14/22
Still a cool video. Personally I would have killed the cat and not made the video.
Posted By: Fullfan Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/14/22
Okay idiot. Put the phone down, use both hands because you obviously don’t spend any time shooting one handed. Cat should have eaten his dumb a$$
Posted By: MOGC Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/14/22
Whether he meant to or not, and I think he didn't, but that second shot he jerked off dang near gutshot the cat anyway. Looked like shot #2 went right over the cat about 3/4's back toward the hip. If you're gonna pack a gun, know when to use it, how to use it and have the determination to use it when it is necessary.
Posted By: smallfry Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/14/22
Good grief! God gave him a new rug and went home empty handed.
Don’t walk backwards, use both hands.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/14/22
There is a trail up pikes peak. Some of the trail has another trail 10 or 12 feet above it. I have walked upper trail a few times and have seen lion tracks on it. They could just jump down on something from the upper trail on the lower trail. More lions around than most people know.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/14/22

Betting it was CA.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/14/22
Idaho according to F&S
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/14/22
This looks a lot like that Utah guy’s encounter with a female lion with cubs.

I’ve had a skinny little stray cat scramble back under a fence and hissing and spitting face me down over a kitten hiding under a dumpster.

So this latest thing may not have been a predatory encounter.

Not that that makes any difference.

[video:youtube]
[/video]
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/16/22
IMHO... a .460R is a superior caliber...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Admittedly, I need to reprofile the brake a bit.

1,760 FPS IIRC.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/16/22
Have you?
I'm not an "expert", we just have them on the ranch.
I've been closer to cats than many, here.
Retreating from a cat is the worst response, triggers the predator in them.
Posted By: losttrail60 Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/16/22
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Have you?

On average we tree 20 a year.
Posted By: longarm Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/16/22
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Have you?

On average we tree 20 a year.

Cool. Post up a few pics of them..
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Elk Hunter vs lion - 10/16/22
Originally Posted by pullit
with the cat following him like that, maybe walk toward the truck so you don't have to drag it so far when you shoot it in the face

thinking man's answer!
© 24hourcampfire