Home
I put some new shoes on my 5500 4x4 today. I have $1375.00 in 6 new Otani 650's. These are about the perfect mix for a forest service road / snow tire in a 19.5. Softish tread compound, lots of sipes, studable and decent voids.....and not Chinese.

I added a set of centramatic balancers while I was at it which imo should be factory for any truck that will see gravel roads.

The poor guys at the tire joint were not able to get the duals free...so I had to take it home and put a strap and chain fall on it to break it loose. All done now and I am happy with it.
That ain’t much of a tire guy. Next time loosen the lugs a few turns and drive it off the curb. Works well and safer than chain falls.
I got quoted $300 to replace four TPMS sensors. I said wtf I may as well buy four new tires. Looked up prices and trucks wearing a $2k set of tires. FJB

And TPMS are $3.50 at rock auto. FU little tire place
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I got quoted $300 to replace four TPMS sensors. I said wtf I may as well buy four new tires. Looked up prices and trucks wearing a $2k set of tires. FJB

Where you get that quote?

Gateway?
Originally Posted by slumlord

Gateway?
One of those “mom and pop” tire places . Little suspect

Geez, Ford OE are $80 a set, maybe another 80 bucks to install and balance.
$300 is stupid.
You shoulda talked to Safariman first.....
Originally Posted by high_country_
I put some new shoes on my 5500 4x4 today. I have $1375.00 in 6 new Otani 650's. These are about the perfect mix for a forest service road / snow tire in a 19.5. Softish tread compound, lots of sipes, studable and decent voids.....and not Chinese.

I added a set of centramatic balancers while I was at it which imo should be factory for any truck that will see gravel roads.

The poor guys at the tire joint were not able to get the duals free...so I had to take it home and put a strap and chain fall on it to break it loose. All done now and I am happy with it.

Really good to know. I have a Chevy 4500 4wd that needs new shoes and buddy has been having hell finding some for his Ram 5500 service truck.
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Really good to know. I have a Chevy 4500 4wd that needs new shoes and buddy has been having hell finding some for his Ram 5500 service truck.

These wouldn't be my choice for a pavement only in dry country rig, but for snow and forest service roads with lots of pavement in between....they're awesome.

The big centramatic takes about 25mph to spin up and once the speed is there.....it's butter smooth.

Never heard about balancers and dirt roads
TPMS are $3.50 at rock auto. FU little tire place

Some Rockauto TPMS will not flash without a special tool... Just an FYI. In my 2010 Toyota at least.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Gateway?

ha.$ 300 for truck tires?
Originally Posted by ribka

Never heard about balancers and dirt roads

When you drive on gravel, you always end up with rock stuck in the tires. The centramatic will dynamically balance it.
© 24hourcampfire