Home
Posted By: Judman Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
Might as well share, remember where your wood comes from. Rough livin, tough sumbitches, bushelors need not apply. Local guy, good man, hard worker caught the end of a up ended alder couple days ago. Very lucky.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Got a ride to harbor view

Hopefully they give him a operating job instead of tendin hook. 👊🏻
Posted By: 673 Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
Lucky indeed....could of been worse..I suppose.
Posted By: Judman Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
Broke shoulder, 3 broke ribs, punctured lung to go with it… dude “Tim” is straight savage. Humped himself outta the hole he got hammered in
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
Does he throw all his rifles in the creek?
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
Damn. That's rough. Almost looks like a brown bear mauling. Hope the feller heals up properly.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

No, he actually “hunts”, which ain’t shiit by Arizona by Arizona “standards”. 😂😂
Originally Posted by Judman

No, he actually “hunts”, which ain’t shiit by Arizona by Arizona “standards”. 😂😂

When I saw that first picture I thought Kick Back.
Anyway...glad he made it.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
Brutal.

Nope, crowding the riggin, little too close, little too comfy, probably done it 1000’s of times
Posted By: 79S Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
Might as well share, remember where your wood comes from. Rough livin, tough sumbitches, bushelors need not apply. Local guy, good man, hard worker caught the end of a up ended alder couple days ago. Very lucky.

Got a ride to harbor view

Hopefully they give him a operating job instead of tendin hook. 👊🏻

Hi lead (sp) logging Jud?? We were flat landers and none of that hi lead logging on the east side. We were on a slashing crew, went and cleanded up after the pros were done. Worse for me saw slipped out of my hand packing out no glove on tore my right hand open pretty good. Standings at the truck buddy pouring water on it lol. Wrapped paper towels around got to my parent place not a care in the world then showed my mom said uh you can see fat and meat you might want to go get that looked at. Remember the ol rules of the woods, never stand down hill from a tree you are bucking up always stand uphill of it. Always wanted to be a faller, growing up they made the best money. But never was good at falling trees lol..
Posted By: MegaMehg Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
Good lawd, glad he made it in one piece.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
His recovery is in my prayers.. Hope he recovers quickly.

Thanks for sharing this Jud!
Yep, high lead..
Originally Posted by Seafire
His recovery is in my prayers.. Hope he recovers quickly.

Thanks for sharing this Jud!

👍 hard workin man. Folks forget the guys that “do” sometimes
Yep, high lead..

That's the serious business High lead those guys are legit.. Best of luck to your buddy Im sure he will be back at it in no time giving it hell.
Fuuckers think they’re “tough”.. that’s fuucking tough right there!!!
funny story from back in the day, they were building this big gas pipeline through central Oregon. All these Texas, Oklahoma boys showed ie welders. The local bars were full of them after a hard days of welding. One Friday evening the fallers were done they head to the same bar, well they were wearing shoes not boots and they had their bobbed pants. If you worked in the woods you know about bobbing basically cut your pants be even with the tops of your boots. Well they walk in and the boys from Texas/Oklahoma started giving them [bleep] on how they were dressed a fight broke out and those fallers whipped some ass at that little bar that night in Metolius, Oregon.
Haha, don’t know anything about shiit like that!!! 😂
Fuuckers think they’re “tough”.. that’s fuucking tough right there!!!

I had a buddy whose dad drove a log truck for one of the big outfits in central Oregon. He gets out the landing and steps out of the truck slips and one of the chains was dangling with the hook anyhow he slipped and pretty much gored himself in the nuts with it. He crawled back into the truck the logging crew showed saw him saw what happened got him the hell out of their. Like you said logging is a tough business make a man out of real quick..
Did shoot that 600 triple duece I bought off ya, I’ll post corpses, not targets… haha
Nice hope it shot well for you..
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
Tough SOB there.
Originally Posted by 79S
Nice hope it shot well for you..

It’ll work! Handy little hammer 👊🏻
Posted By: norm99 Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
looks to me like it was what we call a barber chair, alder birch and maple are the worst but any tree leaning can do it . you are cutting through and the tree splits vertical the tail end shooting up into the person cutting,, as you can see its a bittch,

prayers for the guy he is going to be hearting for a while.

norm
Posted By: ribka Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22

My best friend and wrestler stud on our team was killed at age 19 by kick back while cutting firewood on his dairy farm. A week after his marriage.

I could not believe any tree could kill him he was so tough, but he was killed instantly according to the coroner.
Posted By: johnn Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
Logging will teach you a new way to get hurt... everyday. Damn thats rough
Originally Posted by ribka

My best friend and wrestler stud on our team was killed at age 19 by kick back while cutting firewood on his dairy farm. A week after his marriage.

I could not believe any tree could kill him he was so tough, but he was killed instantly according to the coroner.

Ya couple got killed while I was doin it. Boy lost 2 good buds, 1 a long time pard he worked with a few years, buckin oversize, log rolled over on him. Laid on the landing,snow piling up on him while L&I was en route, the other, a real good pard with 30 years experience, was at my place drinkin a beer and talkin elk killin the evening prior, got flipped into the skyline drum the next day.. boy walks up to the landing, blood was pouring outta the yarder, boy thought it was hydraulic fluid, ended up being Robs blood.. yarder engineer was crying like a baby. Still got that text. Tough day for sure
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
Man that sucks, hope he heals up quick ! Hate to see a man down !

Seen a guy get joe poked through the shoulder with a dead bone dry spruce top toothpick, running a turn of trees to the landing on a rubber tired skidder !

Took him out for 6 months

I ended up sending that same skidder 200 ft straight down to the next bench, backed up to a turn of trees on a steep slope that was designated for the D7 & chokers, with balls bigger than beach balls in my 20's, I knew I had that turn, problem was when I grappled & picked em up, the bastards wouldn't turn to follow the skidder down the spur & instead slid straight down the slope with me in the cab

They all thought I was dead meat and were freaked out when I climbed out of the cab intact with zero injuries, I'd put my seat belt on & cinched it up tight when I backed up to that pile of big ass trees, still don't know what made me do it, have never used that seat belt before ....

The 6x6 steel between the two parts of the skidder sheared right tf off like an ant got sliced in half with a knife
Fuuck man… gotta pard been in a wheelchair for 25 years now, rolled a timberjack without his belt on.. tough lesson..
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Man that sucks, hope he heals up quick ! Hate to see a man down !

Seen a guy get joe poked through the shoulder with a dead bone dry spruce top toothpick, running a turn of trees to the landing on a rubber tired skidder !

Took him out for 6 months

I ended up sending that same skidder 200 ft straight down to the next bench, backed up to a turn of trees on a steep slope that was designated for the D7 & chokers, with balls bigger than beach balls in my 20's, I knew I had that turn, problem was when I grappled & picked em up, the bastards wouldn't turn to follow the skidder down the spur & instead slid straight down the slope with me in the cab

They all thought I was dead meat and were freaked out when I climbed out of the cab intact with zero injuries, I'd put my seat belt on & cinched it up tight when I backed up to that pile of big ass trees, still don't know what made me do it, have never used that seat belt before ....

The 6x6 steel between the two parts of the skidder sheared right tf off like an ant got sliced in half with a knife

Chit!
Posted By: logcutter Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
Ya,that sucks..I was a hooker(tongs/500ft of line and a Linkbelt 88) for six years..Saw a lot of chit like that and packed a few out..Every day was pain of some sort..lol..A helicopter landing is pretty dangerous also..To much going on in one place..I was lucky enough not to get hurt..

Saw a guy get off his D-7 Cat and forget to put the blade down to set his chokers and the Cat took off down the mountain and landed right in the middle of hiway 55 on Goose creek grade splitting the case all the way..Scarred the chit out of a log truck driver just missing it..LOL..The guy went on to own a pretty big logging company..Go figure..

A lot of bad stuff happens in the woods..
I am trying to forget about the close calls.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
That is brutal, about peed myself thinking about how it would feel! Hang tough , dude, and hope you heal promptly!
T
Before I head out for a long day of chainsaw...ing.........

There was a new guy that started working on our logging show, he was a saw man.

One of the most dangerous things to do in the bush is cut blowdown, he went straight in and cut this 24" spruce, another faller was introducing him to what we were doing, the new guy started to cut this tree, the other faller started yelling for him to stop, too late, the tree sprung up about 200mph and took his hard hat right off his lucky head LOL.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
Nope, crowding the riggin, little too close, little too comfy, probably done it 1000’s of times

That’s when ya git bit.
Posted By: logcutter Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
Being in at the time,a small logging town,logging was the only pay in town so most everyone tried it..I remember one guy I had to throw in the crummie and rush him to town wholooked a lot like the picture here posted but not quite as bad..His brother was a logger,good cat operator..Came to work in brand new whites/Dickies suspenders and hard hat and on the third log he hooked,he hooked it to far back and it caught a stump and swang around,hitting him first in his white boots and worked it's way up his body and over his thick head..Thought he was dead...That was his first and last day hooking..LOL..Nice guy who went on to cut logs..
\

Jayco
Posted By: JeffA Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
Originally Posted by Swamplord

Had one of my kids do that, he was a hooker.

He came over on a Friday after work and asked me to watch his son, he was going out, a single father of a 2 year old.

I was like WTF, this guy's in bed by 8, off to the woods by 4:30 everyday.
He said it was gonna be a short day, boss wasn't even going to be there, just some easy sweeping up needed done.

He picked up his son around 11pm but he was back at my house before noon the next day, beat to schit.

Said he drove the skidder right off the road with a grapple full of logs.
It rolled 4 times on the way down the hill before it stopped, a steel tool box in the cab was flying around beating the crap out of him.

Soon as it came to rest for some fu_cked up reason he reached up and hit the release which let go of the wad of logs.

The skidder rolled 3 more times.

Them skidders are tuff, no harm done, he got everything back together and came home.

He'd lost the war with the tool box, he was beat and bruised all over. The cab of a skidder 'can be' a pretty safe spot if ya ain't got a bunch of schit laying around.

I busted his chops about his comment the evening before, " and the boss ain't even gonna be there'.
Posted By: Gunaddict Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
I spent 15 yrs on the riggin. I worked on 110 ft Skagit and Madill towers, Thunderbird and Washington swing yarders. I preferred working as a Rigginslinger, but I could hook tend on any yarder. The riggin seperates the men from the boys.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
Had a log drug over me, fortunately in soft duff, I spent 5 days in an induced coma, docs hoping clots wouldn't bust loose into the 'brain' (alleged), one huge bruise head to foot, nurses called me the purple man. Never even broke a single bone. Damn, I used to be so pretty too, made the girls swoon, almost.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
Logging is the second most dangerous job in America, second only to commercial fishing off the Grand Banks.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
I pity the guy if he has allergies and has to sneeze in the next 3 months..
Posted By: greydog Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
I worked either in the woods or in sawmills for much of my early working life. My grandfather, step father, and most of my in laws were loggers. So were a huge percentage of all the people in North Idaho. Because I spent most of my time sawmilling, it was sawmilling that got me (nothing major but the reason I shoot left handed since 1974).
My father-in-law, who was also one of my best friends, was a gypo logger for most of his life. He made money and lost money at the whim of the market and the companies which bought his logs. In his company he was the faller, the loader operator, and the truck driver. His partner ran the skidder. When he was 63 years old, he has finally had enough good fortune (by his own efforts) that he was starting to do pretty well and was starting to catch a glimpse of the good life. His old equipment was holding together and he was making more than he was spending. He was working in the McCall area, in central Idaho, and was going out to look at some timber. He loaded up his Honda three wheeler and headed out, by himself. This was rough country, and he rolled the three wheeler over a bank and in the process, broke all three bones in his right leg. He managed to get the Honda upright and restarted. He jammed a branch through the handlebar to hold his leg up and rode that thing about three miles back to his pickup, where he was able to radio for some help. He ended up cast from ankle to hip. 2 weeks after this, he was running his line machine, skidding logs up to the landing, this being the only job he could do with his cast on. The tie-back cable broke when a log got hung up and the machine tipped forward, tossing him out the front window (no glass) his trajectory was such that he was in just the right place for the boom, which had tipped down and lost the logs, free of the weight, came back up and swatted Allen back up onto the road. His ribcage was crushed, his leg re-broken, and he was bruised all over. When he went into the ER, the doctor looked him over and said, "you're a tough old coot, but you should probably think about getting into another line of work".
He decided he was going to sell out and concentrate on farming. At the age of 66, he went in for bypass surgery and died on the table.
My wife's uncle died when he rolled a skidder over on him and drowned in hot motor oil while his brother tried to get to him.
Loggers, farmers, construction workers, all the men who work hard just to live, and risk their lives and health to do it, these are the men who make the country work. My brother once, jokingly, referred to my father-in-law as a working-class hero and you know what? He really was. GD
Posted By: BamBam Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
I know two brothers that are loggers open the Adirondacks, New York State. At least they used to log. Nice guys they log my property in the early 90s. About 15 years ago the younger brother was on the skider cutting and hitch and loads down to the header where his older brother was. While he was cutting a tree a branch, Widowmaker came down hit him in the top of the shoulder like a spear went into his lung. He pulled that damn thing out got back on the scooter drove down towards the header. His brother heard the skider idling close to the header for about 20 minutes, eventually walked up to the scooter and he was dead sitting in the seat bled to death. Nice kid I think he was in his late 30s. Two kids, nicest guy in the world
Posted By: funshooter Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
I have a Cousin that Married a Logger
In less that 6 months she was a widow

Hope this guy heals up good
Posted By: GAGoober Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
Funny story I read from the Hayward, Hurley and Hell area during the early turn of the century 1900’s: A railroad section gang acting real tough in a bar kicking everyone’s butt until a logging crew showed up. Loggers kicked their butts.
Posted By: Steve Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
Just about every logger I've known has a horrific story that happened to him. If not a story about this guy who was right next to him.

Worked with a gal whose husband had a tree fall on him. If I recall correctly he didn't break anything as he was pushed into the dirt, but suffered massive soft tissue injury. Oregon Health Science University (Then University of Oregon Medical School) wrote a book on his case.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
I worked on a landing for a few months, nothing hard, just didn't like the hours. No time for a single guy to get his banking and laundry done working long days. LOL

Dad was a logger or tire man his whole life. Dumped two old Peterbuilts over a canyon when the brakes failed. Maintenance? Ah hell, it still runs!
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I worked on a landing for a few months, nothing hard, just didn't like the hours. No time for a single guy to get his banking and laundry done working long days. LOL

Dad was a logger or tire man his whole life. Dumped two old Peterbuilts over a canyon when the brakes failed. Maintenance? Ah hell, it still runs!

My Dad was a farmer/logger/sawmiller and because of that, truck driver.
He had gotten a tire fixed. It rode on the flatbed for
10 miles of crappy blacktop, 1 1/2 miles of dirt township and private
road just fine. Dad pulled it to the edge of the bed tipped ot to drop it on the ground, and it blew the ring off in his face. 50 years ago this time of year.

So many ways to get hurt working with machines or animals.

Was on a sawmill had a chain over my shoulder going to move some
stuff. Almost stepped between some rollers as a guy shoved a big tie
down. Stepped back but the chain caught the corner of the tie.
Jerked my face down to the tie and drug me several feet untill it stopped.
Not really hurt (19 tough😁). Had they been driven rollers it would have been different.

Not a real story compared to others here.
But a great one to illustrate how easy it is to find a way to get
hurt bad in places it's not expected.
Posted By: Springcove Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
Damn. Prayers for speedy recovery
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
Man that sucks. He will probably heal up just fine though. All my logging was just for personal and side of the road sales. I sold some pretty cheap cords of wood back in the mid eighties delivered. My closest call was in Wyoming though. Hauled my trailer up on pine mountain, everybody got out and went to work except me I had to piss. So standing on the other side of the trailer 50 feet or so pissin away Jimmy and Jerry drop a big old pine tree right across the trailer just barely missing me and bending the trailer bed. Fuggin aholes! To this day what excuse they came up with escapes me. I was pissed!
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
The woods and woods work is D A N G E R O U S.

All it takes is, well, nothing, and you're in a world of hurt. My landlord dang near was done in by a log that threaded the needle through the safety grill (which could support the entire machine all by itself). A switch in the operating handle stuck, the feed wheels. But he had scratches on his ear and the log crushed the radio on the back wall.
Another buddy is a pirate, a cat rolled on him and the track pads clipped off his lower leg. He's got a great prosthetic.
Another guy rolled a clipper down the mountain, he was strapped in a good cage, but it broke his spine anyway (fractured multiply, but no breaks, so he's 100 percent 20 years later). Tracks slipped on a rock which then excavated itself.
Then we have our skidder driver, like a year from retirement, already on SS, and he misses a handhold while filling hydraulic fluid. Over he goes, busted femur crown. It's been a month and he's still in the nursing home.
And when you're cutting to length or trying to unload a chunk of fell wood? You better know which way it's going to JUMP when it's cut free -- AND how FAR it will JUMP, and where YOU are gonna JUMP FASTER.

Loggers have luck -- it's just a fundamentally different kind of luck.
Posted By: Reba Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
I know three guys that were killed cutting trees on their own property!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
Originally Posted by Reba
I know three guys that were killed cutting trees on their own property!!!!!!!!!!

Wow.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Life of a logger… - 10/15/22
Judman;
Good evening to you my cyber friend, I hope you and your family are well.

The chap in the photo is in my thoughts and prayers.

When we moved here to Okanagan Falls it was still considered a "mill town" and many of the people I called friends then and still do were involved in logging.

I'd say it's better now than it was then - 30 years ago - but "stuff" still happens.

We're rural here so it's farmers, ranchers, loggers and some miners who were the folks who built this area for the most part and who were still here when we arrived.

I try my very best not to fall trees anymore - just because.

My friend 673 convinced me to wear chainsaw pants now when I'm using the saw and honestly my family is surely happy about that Jud.

Anyways, I'll be praying for a speedy recovery for your friend for sure. Glad he made it.

All the best and good hunting.

Dwayne
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Life of a logger… - 10/16/22
I haven’t met a logger yet with all his fingers intact.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Life of a logger… - 10/16/22
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I haven’t met a logger yet with all his fingers intact.

old school oil rig hands.

1 word.

spinning chains.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Life of a logger… - 10/16/22
Let him know that chick's dig scars so he should be set for life.
© 24hourcampfire