Home
Posted By: Kenneth66 Straight pull rifles - 10/26/22
When I saw Savage was making the , I thought hell yeah , till I saw the prices
Hard to justify when you got a K-31 you bought for under 200 bucks several years ago and pretty dam sure the savage won’t shoot any better
Not knocking tha Savage , just K-31’s were a bargain
Got one of those scout rifle mounts some fellow over on curios and relics used to make several years ago , I think his name was Darrell and a leupold scout scope
Sumbitch shoots and knocks a hole in deer
Kenneth
Posted By: UpThePole Re: Straight pull rifles - 10/26/22
I own:

Blaser 264/300 WM
K-31 7.5x55
1889 7.5x53
Ross 280 Ross

Swiss products makes all kinds of goodies for Swiss straight pulls.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Straight pull rifles - 10/26/22
My K31 is one of the most accurate damn rifles I own. Simply amazing. Thinking of an old M1889 to handload with cast leads for S&G’s!
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Straight pull rifles - 10/26/22
Those are some beautiful, well kept weapons!
Originally Posted by UpThePole
I own:

Blaser 264/300 WM
K-31 7.5x55
1889 7.5x53
Ross 280 Ross

Swiss products makes all kinds of goodies for Swiss straight pulls.

I like that that Ross. I first learned of that rifle and cartridge in a Ross Seyfried article.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Straight pull rifles - 10/26/22
I had a K-31 once... it was a truly magnificent piece of Swiss engineering.

I also has a MAS-36 bolt once... if was the opposite. IIRC the trigger had about 1-2" of take-up and a pull weight of around 90 pounds.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Straight pull rifles - 10/26/22
The Austrian M1890/95s are real smooth if you can find one in 8x50, but most of them chambered in 8x56 are as rough as a mile of gravel road, and the vast majority of the older rifles were rechambered to 8x56.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Straight pull rifles - 10/26/22
I always liked those Swiss rifles and somehow, never managed to buy one.

In 1911, Kaiser Wilhem was visiting Switzerland and he was talking to a Swiss general. Kaiser Wilhelm said "Your Civil Defense numbers just 200,000 men. If war should break out, I could invade Switzerland with a force of 400,000 troops."

The Swiss general replied "Then each of my men would have to shoot twice."
Posted By: UpThePole Re: Straight pull rifles - 10/26/22
I'm currently chasing 2 more 280 Ross rifles.

2900 fps w/140 gr in 1905 !

Only 47000 psi pressure.

Totally dominated long range target matches.

Not much progress in 117 years !
Posted By: rainshot Re: Straight pull rifles - 10/26/22
Always wanted one in 280.
Posted By: tdbob Re: Straight pull rifles - 10/26/22
I always thought the the little Browning T-bolt was a neat gun.
Posted By: abbydog Re: Straight pull rifles - 10/27/22
SHR 970 aka Swiss Hunting Rifle is a deal if you can find one. Dead nuts accurate.
Posted By: deadlift_dude Re: Straight pull rifles - 10/27/22
Love my K31. I have the offset scope mount so I can use scope or irons. With the issue ammo it is stupid accurate. Have not yet shot hunting ammo through it.
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: Straight pull rifles - 10/27/22
Up the pole , that Ross is a sharp looking rifle
What scope mount you got on that K-31 ?

Yep kaywoodie. That GP11 ammo , think I got that right , is some fine shooting stuff , wish I had bought more of it when I bought the gun
If I remember right hornady made some hunting ammo that was lights out accurate
Now graf&sons makes some that seems to be just as accurate

Had two , sold one to a friend that got interested in hunting , completely set up with scout scope base and Burris scout scope , it was a shooting mofo too
Took him to a gun show and he bought several hundred of GP11 and a couple hundred of the hornady stuff .
Got his first deer with that rifle
Man was in his 40’s going hunting for his first time
He shot a big ole slick head and you would a thought it was a boone&crockett buck
He told the story over and over
Hell of a good guy , went hunting every year after that
Last year he was going to work and for some unknown reason piled up into a guard rail at a really odd angle
Dead right there , his nephew got all his stuff , he’s proud of it , but he won’t get off none of that hornady😀
His nephew shot his first buck up behind a place I used to live in Luray , a spike , got his with an SKS and humbly knocked on the door and asked me to help with it .
Walked up on the mountain handed him the knife and talked him through it
He listened good and got it done without busting a gut .
Good memories
Kenneth
Posted By: Remsen Re: Straight pull rifles - 10/27/22
Originally Posted by abbydog
SHR 970 aka Swiss Hunting Rifle is a deal if you can find one. Dead nuts accurate.

They are. I have had one for about 22 years (got one when they were introduced in the US, then picked up a few spare barrels) and it's as good as any custom rifle I have. It's not straight pull, but it's as smooth an action as you'll ever find. I still hunt with it (I'm on my last barrel) but since it's 7 mag, I use it less these days and tend to go for my 7 08.

I also have a K31 and echo the comments of those who say it's incredible. It is.
Posted By: UpThePole Re: Straight pull rifles - 10/27/22
My scope mount is the Swiss Products offset mount. They now also make an overbore mount.
© 24hourcampfire