[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

For the folks that wonder how the hell to skin these critters
Originally Posted by earlybrd

That's cool
Do you eat them or just get rid of the Destructive little bastids
earlybrd;
Good afternoon to you sir, I'm going to dispense with my usual salutation this time as I know from experience hunting with our kids is as fine a day as we're able to have.

I hope it's okay that I've taken your photo and blown it up a wee bit for those who have smaller screens?

If not, I do apologize, my intent was to be supportive.

Thanks for sharing the family hunt with us and a tip of the hat for taking your daughter out with you.

All the best and good luck on the rest of your hunts.

Dwayne

PS

I see tikkanut did a better job than I did - kudos to you sir.

PPS

Love the choice of squirrel hunting arm as well - meant to but neglected to mention that. cool
That’s awesome!
Good for you guys!
Nice day for sure.
Good shooting!
Nice picture. Cool that she wants to hunt with Dad.
Good deal! Looks like a great day.
Doesn't get better than that.
Originally Posted by funshooter

That's cool
Fine table fare crock pot roll in flower n fried gravy with the drippins
Originally Posted by Morewood
Nice picture. Cool that she wants to hunt with Dad.
Absolutely.

My six year old loves picking up dead critters from the truck bed when I come home but doesn’t want to shoot anything besides chickens “because they make the best nuggets.” I hope that she hunts with me in a few years.

That's cool
Fine table fare crock pot roll in flower n fried gravy with the drippins
Good stuff. I like em fried and then served with or in baked beans and bacon.
Good stuff man!
👍👍👍
The tree rats took a beating.
Way to go you guys, I loved hunting an fishing with mine,,, What you 2 did will never be forgotten by either,, Good on you both,,
Congratulations on a great hunt. It doesn’t get much better than hunting with your kids.
Father/Daughter time is well-spent, especially if guns are involved!

Congrats on making solid memories!
Very well done, looks like a great time.
Congratulations on a successful trip to the woods and a great time with the kids.

Those little grey's make for some good eats.
Good deal to take kids hunting. Fun time for all involved. My Dad did not believe in taking game with shotgun. Had to be a .22, he hated shot in his meat. We used to eat a lot of squirrels when young. They had to young ones though to be fried. The old bores got put in pressure cooker. Good for you, keep taking kids out in the wild.
Cool !!!

22lr/20ga. ? Savage
Looks like you guys had a wonderful day that you both will remember for years to come.
Thanks for sharing, love to see you out enjoying family time.
With my eye trouble all I have been able to do is shoot 22’s in the workshop to check function.
Love the firearm, mine is a 1950 or so 22/410 with solid barrels, I like them the best.
My favorite grouse rifle.
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Cool !!!

22lr/20ga. ? Savage
22 mag/20 ga wifey has the 410/22lr I sneak out occasionally I got a 223/12 I pull out for spring gobbler
Thanks for sharing y'all did good.
I made many a mile following gramps through the Keechi Creek bottom, chasing red and grey squirrels.
Grandma either made squirrel and dumplings or fried them up and tenderized them in a pressure cooker!
I've probably eaten a pickup load of the little fuzzy critters! LOL!
Lot'sa good memories with me and "The Ranger". Lost him in 1973!
He took me hunting and fishing when dad was working and couldn't go.

Great memories!

BTW! If you two hunt/fish together, get her to ke rrt p a hunting journal. She doesn't have to rewrite "War and Peace". Just a short narrative of what happened.
Been keeping one 20 years now. Blows my mind when I go back and read. It's amazing what you forget.
Looking good! How are things looking in your area as far as acorns and such?
Very nicely done that’s time well spent
Originally Posted by AlleghenyMountain
Looking good! How are things looking in your area as far as acorns and such?
Acorns are like marbles on the ground scrapes and rubs everywhere.Son is 15 making his own tracks on the terrain wonders off on his own next year I’m turning him loose.He wanders around knows more than I do now😉 it’s getting to the point Ive waited all the years for the good times
I took son with me since a tot 2-3 yrs old he’s a cold blood killa on his own time Blondy is special and takes notes
Great photo and these times are special!
Great picture. Good to take time with the kids. Memories last forever.
Are you sure that someone didn't release a dozen pet chinchilla in your neck of the woods (ala the Husky Wolf hunt)?

Seriously though - very nice memories and good shooting.

Congrats!
I took son with me since a tot 2-3 yrs old he’s a cold blood killa on his own time Blondy is special and takes notes

First time my dad took me hunting, he piggybacked me up into the tree stand, wrapped me in a blanket and tied me to the tree so I wouldn't go to sleep and fall out!
I was 3 years old!
That was 69 years ago! 🙂
I've missed very few deer seasons since. Probably 5 or 6!

That's cool

The best red meat on earth.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/why-i-eat-squirrel-really
Great times --- smiles say it all. Congratulations on a great day out with your daughter.
Awesome!!
This is the kind of post that makes the Campfire great... A photo of how you cooked them up would also be great.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Kool..............

THAT is a million dollar pic!

Super cool stuff!!!
Awesome.

And to paraphrase an old country song ".....she just thinks we're fishing!"
I commend you for taking her squirrel hunting. Too many of us want the hero pictures with a deer, even though we were brought up small game hunting. I’m guilty of it myself.
I recently took a .22 out with a friend and we had a good time getting back to the basics.
Very nicely done!! Love hunting those little buggers and especially with the kiddos in tow.
This thread tells me two things.
1. Earlybird is raising his daughter right- good job and good time brother!!!!
2, Tikkanut and BC30cal are good blokes and fire members!
Memories to never be forgotten! cool
She is hard on those squirrels! laugh

Great shooting!
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
This is the kind of post that makes the Campfire great... A photo of how you cooked them up would also be great.
Just got home wifey taking the kiddos for pizza at in-laws for the Halloween.”I got things to do tomorrow evening don’t want them things in my fridge enjoy don’t make a mess in my kitchen” was greetings this evening

Nice 👍

Looks like a super hunt!

Thank you for sharing. I love to see young people out hunting.
That is great y'all hunted together and she wore them out. Good eating to come. I missed the days when I was young and me and my friends would go on Safari we called it and we would shoot whatever we found that was legal, Squirrels, rabbits, dove and quail. We would clean them and my friends mom would cook them. It was great fun and great eating.
Reminds me of when my boys were young...
Every once in a while I'd skip work for a day, and the school secretary would give me a knowing grin when I walked into office already in my orange vest to pull out my kindergartener for 'family reasons'.
Don't think any of them ever cared that they didn't get the perfect attendance award at the end of the year....

So... skinning them. I've tried that method many many times and never succeeded. Are Michigan's squirrels hides on tighter???

What am I doing wrong?
That's what it's all about
Originally Posted by chuckh_02
Every once in a while I'd skip work for a day, and the school secretary would give me a knowing grin when I walked into office already in my orange vest to pull out my kindergartener for 'family reasons'.
Don't think any of them ever cared that they didn't get the perfect attendance award at the end of the year....

So... skinning them. I've tried that method many many times and never succeeded. Are Michigan's squirrels hides on tighter???

What am I doing wrong?

Cut the hide sever the tail bone step on the tail and pull up on the back feet it takes practice
Originally Posted by chuckh_02

What am I doing wrong?

Cut the hide sever the tail bone step on the tail and pull up on the back feet it takes practice

Also more easily done when they are still warm.
© 24hourcampfire