Home
Posted By: ButchA61 Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
Regarding the thread about Tom Brady and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, etc....

I wanted to focus more on classic cars, classic trucks, that we all remember from back when we were kids! Check out this current eBay Motors auction based out of Tampa, FL. $13,500 is the opening bid on eBay:

1966 Ford F100, inline 6 cylinder, 3 speed (3 on the tree), totally original, red & white color w/ rust. Needs a good body job/repainting, is all I assume. Man, what I wouldn't give to take off from work, fly down to Tampa, FL and outright buy this classic "old school" Ford pickup and drive it all the way back up to Richmond, VA! laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
We had a ‘64 F250 on the farm. The straight 6 was so wore out and it was geared so low that once it warmed up, 55 mph was top speed. A good old truck though.
Owned one that's a twin to that truck. Back in 1977, but it had a , want to say a 283??? Motor was from a 1956 T bird. Wish I had it today, gotta love a 3 on the tree!
I’ve got a 69 Ford that I will be working on starting winter/spring.
Posted By: EdM Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
My daily driver.

Posted By: Nykki Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
I have a 62 Chevy c30, paid 300 dollars for it in 78. 235 six cyl with a four speed. I changed out the rearend several years ago cause the original was 5.14-1. Was wound up tight at 45. Changed it to a 3.73 and the 235 wouldn't pull it going uphill. Has a 350 and a Muncie four speed in it now.
I've got an old Dodge I'm planning to start freshening up soon. There is a degree of character older trucks have that the new ones completely lack.
I’ve got a 1963 Chevy C10 Stepside that will be getting a work over soon. 👍🏻
I love those old trucks but it’s to bad that more of them didn’t have 4wheel drive.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Id take a 1980 Toyota 4wd pickup over any old Ford/Chevy/Dodge.
Originally Posted by saddlering
Owned one that's a twin to that truck. Back in 1977, but it had a , want to say a 283??? Motor was from a 1956 T bird. Wish I had it today, gotta love a 3 on the tree!
If you deal with Gateway Classics, be sure to bring a BIG tube of K-Y Jelly with you. The screwing you get will be epic- - - -and painful- - - - -unless you grease up liberally. They're a bunch of ripoff artists and liars!
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
My first vehicle was a 1956 Ford F-100.
My great-uncle bought it new and, in 1974 I got off of the school bus to see Uncle Norman standing in our driveway next to the truck. He handed me the keys and said, "Give me a ride home in your truck."

He had just bought a new '75 F-100 (same color).
When he passed in 1989, I bought that truck from his estate.

292 or 312. The 312 was called the "Thunderbird Special" no matter what platform it was installed in. Very popular with police departments in the late 1950's. Robert Mitchum drove one in "Thunder Road".
Hunts it was a 292 I believe, ran pretty good in the old truck.
Posted By: hardway Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
Originally Posted by ButchA61

I wanted to focus more on classic cars, classic trucks, that we all remember from back when we were kids! Check out this current eBay Motors auction based out of Tampa, FL. $13,500 is the opening bid on eBay:

1966 Ford F100, inline 6 cylinder, 3 speed (3 on the tree), totally original, red & white color w/ rust. Needs a good body job/repainting, is all I assume. Man, what I wouldn't give to take off from work, fly down to Tampa, FL and outright buy this classic "old school" Ford pickup and drive it all the way back up to Richmond, VA! laugh

Not to long ago that was a 1000 dollar pickup. Nowadays, they spray clear over the rust and call it "patina" and mark it up 5k..... hell, as far as we know that truck Had a perfectly good paint job and they fugged it up on purpose.... seems to be the going trend.

A 283 is a Chevy engine. Good one too!
Posted By: tater74 Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
Beautiful… 👆
My wife's daily driver for years.

Now it sits unused in the shop. frown
Posted By: JGray Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
I've always been partial to the 67-72 GM's. I've posted my 72 K10 on here before...

Originally Posted by tater74

That's beautiful - hopefully mine will look that nice someday.
Originally Posted by hardway

Not to long ago that was a 1000 dollar pickup. Nowadays, they spray clear over the rust and call it "patina" and mark it up 5k..... hell, as far as we know that truck Had a perfectly good paint job and they fugged it up on purpose.... seems to be the going trend.

Yup, and a gallon of milk $2, a case of beer $8, and a steak dinner was $15. Shame how much value our dollar has lost.
My uncle just restored a 65 Ford and added a few customizations. It h it s a beautiful Carolina Blue with approximately 500 HP. He ha a 64 coming up next. I can’t wait to see the results!
Posted By: krp Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
I had a 64 f100 with under dash AC that would frost the metal vents... 292 and 3 on the tree... man I wish I had that truck back.

Kent
For my bud's 55th anniversary, the family had a ground-up, total restoration of his dads '55 chev. Purty cool deal....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: pal Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
Originally Posted by huntsman22
For my bud's 55th anniversary, the family had a ground-up, total restoration of his dads '55 chev. Purty cool deal....

Looks older than '55.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
Originally Posted by jackmountain

jackmountain;
Good evening to you sir, I trust the weekend was at least tolerable for you and this finds you well.

Way back in the day, when there were few domestic 4x4 pickups up here, this was the second 4x4 Toyota in the south valley here. It was an '80 that I bought off a chap who didn't like making the payments part way through '81. To this day it's the newest truck I ever owned.

[Linked Image]

We took that thing in the back country in 4 western provinces including goat hunts up in the Stikine, all over Vancouver Island, the Kootenays and up into Haida Gwaii. When I sold it to a buddy, I'd painted the whole thing once and some of it for the 3rd time repairing the rust. It had a 22R in it by then out of an '85? He threw the box away and put a logger box on it, new floor from a road sign and jobber door skins and front fenders. He had it for years but where it went after that I'm not sure.

For domestic pickups, my second "car" when I turned 16 was a '62 Chev Long Box step side with a 292?? and a 3 on the tree. I had a mildly built 283 ready to go into it, but life got in the way and I sold it.

One of our farm trucks was a '74 GMC with a 350 with 10.5:1 pistons, a bit of a cam and headers with dual exhaust, the theory being better fuel economy. It sounded pretty good and mostly we all just drove it like we stole it.

Another oddball truck for you folks' side of the medicine line was a '67 Mercury with a 352 V8 and a 3 on the tree. It only had about 3' of exhaust pipe off each manifold, so it didn't get driven on the fields much past seeding because of the risk of fire.

There were many more pickups some certainly better than others, but indeed on balance the only one I'd be interested in owning and driving again would be another early Toyota - providing the body was okay... wink

All the best and good hunting.

Dwayne

Posted By: Troutnut Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
My 1972 Chevy Cheyenne. 350 auto , 2wd long bed. 3rd owner, just over 100 k on the odometer

Attached picture IMG_20221107_005805_copy_362x306_copy_271x229.jpg
Posted By: norm99 Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
48 ford i wish i still had , a unibody cab and box joined,ford should still have that but after i rolled and flipped it , not much left. i know where there are 10 or 12 older ford pu,s .

norm
Overall I would as well. The exception may be the Ford 300 I-6 from the early 80's. Those give the Toyota 4cyl trucks a run for their money in reliability and were more efficient and had far more torque but in build quality Toyota is still superior.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
Originally Posted by pal

Looks older than '55.

There were two body styles produced in '55. The older t grilled '54 looking one and the newer style 55-57 with two headlights.
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln

292 or 312. The 312 was called the "Thunderbird Special" no matter what platform it was installed in. Very popular with police departments in the late 1950's. Robert Mitchum drove one in "Thunder Road".

This , nicknamed the "Y" block.

Had several in 56 F-100's and a 56 Crown Vic... still kicking my ass for selling that one.
Posted By: LBP Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
+1 I love the old first gen 4x4 Toyota Pickups, post some pics please!
Posted By: LBP Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
Originally Posted by BC30cal

jackmountain;
Good evening to you sir, I trust the weekend was at least tolerable for you and this finds you well.

Way back in the day, when there were few domestic 4x4 pickups up here, this was the second 4x4 Toyota in the south valley here. It was an '80 that I bought off a chap who didn't like making the payments part way through '81. To this day it's the newest truck I ever owned.

[Linked Image]

We took that thing in the back country in 4 western provinces including goat hunts up in the Stikine, all over Vancouver Island, the Kootenays and up into Haida Gwaii. When I sold it to a buddy, I'd painted the whole thing once and some of it for the 3rd time repairing the rust. It had a 22R in it by then out of an '85? He threw the box away and put a logger box on it, new floor from a road sign and jobber door skins and front fenders. He had it for years but where it went after that I'm not sure.

For domestic pickups, my second "car" when I turned 16 was a '62 Chev Long Box step side with a 292?? and a 3 on the tree. I had a mildly built 283 ready to go into it, but life got in the way and I sold it.

One of our farm trucks was a '74 GMC with a 350 with 10.5:1 pistons, a bit of a cam and headers with dual exhaust, the theory being better fuel economy. It sounded pretty good and mostly we all just drove it like we stole it.

Another oddball truck for you folks' side of the medicine line was a '67 Mercury with a 352 V8 and a 3 on the tree. It only had about 3' of exhaust pipe off each manifold, so it didn't get driven on the fields much past seeding because of the risk of fire.

There were many more pickups some certainly better than others, but indeed on balance the only one I'd be interested in owning and driving again would be another early Toyota - providing the body was okay... wink

All the best and good hunting.

Dwayne
Cool truck Dwayne.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
My son has my dad's 1966 International Harvester pickup in his garage. He wants to restore it but there is no money for it right now. But, the truck is inside and out of the weather.

kwg
Originally Posted by kwg020
My son has my dad's 1966 International Harvester pickup in his garage. He wants to restore it but there is no money for it right now. But, the truck is inside and out of the weather.

kwg

A guy in Warsaw, VA has/had a bunch of them if you are needing parts some day.

I bought a backhoe from him a few years back... he was OCD on the old IHs.
Originally Posted by LBP
Cool truck Dwayne.

Dwayne's stories are ALWAYS THE BEST...

Polite Canadians FTW!
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

A guy in Warsaw, VA has/had a bunch of them if you are needing parts some day.

I bought a backhoe from him a few years back... he was OCD on the old IHs.
It's my understanding there is a guy in northern Iowa who restores old Binders. The parts have to come from somewhere. To the best of my knowledge, there is not anyone who is making restoration parts so every thing has to be used or old stock. It will be expensive no matter what.

kwg
Posted By: pullit Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
very cool bunch of trucks in this thread. I really want a 72 Chevy Short bed but I have to get my rich uncle out of the poor house first...
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
ya'll may be getting tired of my truck but I'm posting it anyway.

I love the old step sides.
Originally Posted by 1911a1
ya'll may be getting tired of my truck but I'm posting it anyway.

You keep posting it and I just might change my 72 back to that color, as it was originally!
Posted By: KFWA Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
I think those early 70's Chevy's are my favorite old pickup.

I do like the the 50's era, but I think I could daily drive a C10 (or a K10)
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
Here's mine. It looks new, because it is. But I thought I would get a jump on this thread and when it is a classic, I will already have posted it...

Posted By: pal Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Originally Posted by pal

Looks older than '55.

There were two body styles produced in '55. The older t grilled '54 looking one and the newer style 55-57 with two headlights.

Thanks for the info. I was not aware GM had continued offering the early body style as a '55-model. I once owned a '55, but it had the later styling, with the wrap-around rear window, a 6-cylinder and 4-speed Hydramatic.
My Dad bought a Sierra in 1972. 350, auto, headers and glass packs. Nothing sounded like it, Harvest Gold and white cab. Wasn't fast, but it could go anywhere in style. Dad kept it for 20 years and then sold it. It was a total gas hog and he needed driveway.
I would guess in about 2002 or so, I was at Home Depot and I heard something familiar. Yep, there it was, not looking nice, but still sounded like it had, louder. So I watched it pull into the lot and a couple of Slumlord's favorites stepped out and walked into IHOP. I wasn't sure, so I walked over. Still had the "custom" wheels and chromed/wood steering wheel, so yep. But wow, up close it was a mess. I didn't even have the heart to take a picture, gave it one last pat on the hood and walked away.
Eye candy is nice, but I like trucks that earn their keep. I'm currently rebuilding a 235 cubic inch 6 cylinder engine with Babbit-bearing connecting rods for a 1951 Chevy 2 ton, for a young man in Oklahoma who is still hauling grain with the truck his grandfather bought in 1955. Three generations on the same farm, and the truck is still working for a living! About a year ago it developed a rod knock while hauling 16K pounds of wheat to a grain elevator.

I wouldn’t repaint that truck. That patina is awesome. I would just stop any rust and conserve it just as it is. Thats just me though.
Classic means different things to different folks….

Me?

I like the square body 80’s Chevy trucks. ( and blazers)

I had a clean ‘86 k1500 truck.

It was LWB though, i didn’t keep it but a couple years.

Growing up, the Fall Guy truck was the chit.
I always wanted a 72 Chevy pickup. Chevrolet Red over White. Man thats a good looking truck.
Posted By: 4and1 Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
I would like some details on the truck with the radial engine. How would that radial get enough air to cool itself? And what is used linking that vertical shaft to the drive train?
If you deal with Gateway Classics, be sure to bring a BIG tube of K-Y Jelly with you. The screwing you get will be epic- - - -and painful- - - - -unless you grease up liberally. They're a bunch of ripoff artists and liars!
They call it "PUTTING THE PANTS ON YOU"
I have a low mileage 2001 4X4 Tundra, and I just saw ones like it selling for nearly the same price I gave for mine in 2007. The truck market is totally insane.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
Eye candy is nice, but I like trucks that earn their keep. I'm currently rebuilding a 235 cubic inch 6 cylinder engine with Babbit-bearing connecting rods for a 1951 Chevy 2 ton, for a young man in Oklahoma who is still hauling grain with the truck his grandfather bought in 1955. Three generations on the same farm, and the truck is still working for a living! About a year ago it developed a rod knock while hauling 16K pounds of wheat to a grain elevator.
I hauled wheat one harvest in 53 Chevy 2ton with the 235 4/2sp. It was a beautiful little truck that had been totally redone a few years prior. And it was absolutely miserable to haul grain with. Wouldn’t do over about 32mph loaded and didn’t stop really well even at those speeds. V8 powered trucks from even the 70’s were a huge step up
I like most of the pre-70's trucks. For some strange reason I've been wanting to restore a 50's IH pickup in red and black.
Posted By: Dess Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
Originally Posted by Timbermaster

I wouldn’t repaint that truck. That patina is awesome. I would just stop any rust and conserve it just as it is. Thats just me though.

Growing up we had a green and white '65 with the custom cab. Had a 352 and a 4 speed. Dad called first gear "grandma".
I’d love to get an old Chevy AD dually. Late 40’s early 50’s.

Build a nice 6bt for it with a modern AT like an Allison 1000. Grab the rear end out of whatever you found the Allison in. 11 inch dually?

I’m sure the front end would need a schit ton of work as well.

I ain’t got the time, money, or know how. 😬
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I’d love to get an old Chevy AD dually. Late 40’s early 50’s.

Build a nice 6bt for it with a modern AT like an Allison 1000. Grab the rear end out of whatever you found the Allison in. 11 inch dually?

I’m sure the front end would need a schit ton of work as well.

I ain’t got the time, money, or know how. 😬

I've a similar plan:
'78 F250 4x4, Supercab, boxed frame and a Cummins built to ~650 HP. Also considering a FBB 521, which would be easier & cheaper but mileage will suck compared to a Cummins.
Posted By: Dess Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22

Original Owners Drive Their Rusty 1966 Chevelle SS 396 To A Car Show
Posted By: AML Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
Our farm truck when I was a little kid was a Studebaker. Can't remember the year. My dad bought a 75 International just as they were closing them out. I loved that truck.
Posted By: Jahrs Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
Originally Posted by drop_point
Originally Posted by hardway

Yup, and a gallon of milk $2, a case of beer $8, and a steak dinner was $15. Shame how much value our dollar has lost.

Close on the beer but milk was under a buck where I lived.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/07/22
I have a 1974 high boy F250 4x4, 6cyl, 4 speed and a 1979 Chevy 4x4 with a 400 small block that I had hoped to restore some day. I've pretty much faced that fact that it won't happen and I'll just buy one with AC already restored.
Originally Posted by High_Noon
'78 F250 4x4, Supercab, boxed frame and a Cummins built to ~650 HP. Also considering a FBB 521, which would be easier & cheaper but mileage will suck compared to a Cummins.

Good luck finding a 6BT... last one I chased was $6,500 and it was blown up...
How bad is the 74? I’d love a Highboy to get reliable if not perfectly restored for me and the boy to run around fishing and cutting wood and whatnot.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I have a 1974 high boy F250 4x4, 6cyl, 4 speed and a 1979 Chevy 4x4 with a 400 small block that I had hoped to restore some day. I've pretty much faced that fact that it won't happen and I'll just buy one with AC already restored.
How bad is the 74? I’d love a Highboy for me and the boy to bomb around fishing and cutting firewood in.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/08/22
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
How bad is the 74? I’d love a Highboy for me and the boy to bomb around fishing and cutting firewood in.
I honestly have no idea, but it wasn't bad when I parked it in the woods to use as a portable tree stand....20 years ago. I know it needs front fenders, I cut them out so set of 44's wouldn't rub.
Posted By: JGray Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/08/22
I had a '76 Highboy for a number of years - 390/auto trans. Good truck other than Ford hadn't yet figured out power steering in those trucks. I always thought a 78 or 79 F150 short box would be fun, but have that covered now with my '72 K10...
272 Y block?
Posted By: pal Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/08/22
Originally Posted by reivertom
I have a low mileage 2001 4X4 Tundra, and I just saw ones like it selling for nearly the same price I gave for mine in 2007....

Mine is a first year Tundra, a 2000, V-8, 4x4--just coming up on 125,000 miles. I expect it will be considered a classic one day.

Posted By: LeeC Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/08/22
Some Might not have ever seen one .
Factory Shelby white High Boy 1974.
Its the factory version of Bigfoot.
All original, except Tires, wheels shocks, Maybe a few small things
Originally Posted by LeeC

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!!

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I remember them being called the 312 Invader. Had the strange cross over exhaust.
Posted By: tzone Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/08/22
I have a 55 ford f100. 351w, c4, Mustang II suspension/power steering, 9” rear with trax-lok 3.55 diff.
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
I remember them being called the 312 Invader.

I remember them being called the Interceptor
Posted By: paguy Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/08/22
Originally Posted by LeeC
Had the same truck only standard cab long bed. That thing would go anywhere you wanted to take it. Installed 38.5 gumbo monster mudders on it without a lift and no tire rubbing.
Why does that TX truck have CO plates?
Just curious.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/08/22
Very nice thread - thanks. In the 1980s I got into the older Chevs with a 72 4wd Suburban to take the family skiing and camping - it was such a rewarding vehicle that I went fairly deep into them. Since then have owned a lot of nice old Chevs and GMCs -1967s through 1972s and everything up from a few Blazers through 3/4 ton, 1 ton, and larger - GMC 5500 bucket truck and a Chev C80 fire engine. Have never owned a 1/2 ton.

Have been able to do (or have learned to do) almost all of the maintenance and occasional repairs over the years - tuning, carb rebuilds, replacing engine/chassis/body components, drive lines and brakes, rebuilding/replacing some engines as well as 4 speed Muncie gearboxes and one T400 automatic. All enjoyable unless it has to be done in a hurry.

It has been much fun to learn about and deal with the various GM engine designs/variations - inline 6s, small block V8 progression, big block V8 progression and even the big V6s of the 60s and early 70s.

I have never fully restored any truck or even made one "pretty" - just want them to be solid runners and look decent. At times I have posted a few pics of them and will not bore you with that stuff here - unless someone really does want such.

Thanks for this good thread.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/08/22
I was just reading the post and thought of CCCC. He has had some interesting GM trucks and still has one or two. Pics would be good.
CCCC, please post those trucks again!
Please?
Please?
Please?

(I'm begging!)
laugh
Posted By: DMc Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/08/22
Is a 77 old enough to be considered a classic?

Posted By: TheKid Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/08/22
Mine doesn’t have a bed but it shares everything from the doors forward with the same model half ton pickups.

It’s always 200 of my dollars and 4 hours of my time away from being pretty reliable. Someday I’m going to dive into it and straighten it up pretty nice. Until then me and the boy use it to run to the grocery store or out to my folks’ place, he likes to go for Bronco rides.
Posted By: tater74 Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/08/22
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Why does that TX truck have CO plates?
Just curious.

Living in Colorado when I purchased it from Illinois.
We moved to New Mexico while my brothers in Idaho were working on it, ended up back in Texas 10 years ago.

I actually sold CCCC some 4X4 stuff off my 70 Jimmy when I converted it to 2WD.

He probably doesn't remember me.
tater74 - I think I do remember meeting you and maybe your son when I drove down to the Las Cruces area to load up those parts. Long time ago - many events and truck experiences since then. I hope that you are doing well.
Here are some of ours

and a few more from out in the barn

and others in the fleet

some out in the pasture a few years ago

and the latest - and last - project. A 72 C20 Longhorn, 402 BB and Muncie SM465 4 speed - now repainted with matching pickup bed trailer (no pics) but not yet put together. Will have cab interior refinished, new carpet, redone factory buckets with black/white houndstooth fabric, OEM console, etc. - (all done and on hand) but will I have enough time to get it together?

That's all for now - need to get to bed.
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
I remember them being called the 312 Invader.

I remember them being called the Interceptor

You may be right I don't know. The only one that I've been around was one a kid that I went to high school with had an old Ford Fairlane with that engine. I remember him showing us the engine and telling us that it was a 312 Invader from a T-Bird. He was proud of it but it wasn't an especially fast car compaired to several others that kids in school had but it was more than what I had. I was one of the poors... I walked to school. smile
This would have been around '70-'71.
My cousin’s husband used to work out of our garage, mostly paint & body, at which he was very good. Ronnie was one of the family, helping The Old Man on engine stuff too, and he was a helluva wrench as well. Almost like an older brother.
He had a ‘59 Ford pickup, a stepside with the longer 8’ bed, of which were fairly rare. We yanked out the old 352 and swapped in a 429CJ and an automatic transmission, and painted it light blue metallic. Man, I wish I had pictures, that thing was sharp, and that CobraJet was a screamer!
He told me it would be my graduation present, but I found that ‘72 Monte Carlo with the bigblock Chevy instead.
It had been sideswiped, and Ronnie helped me with the on frame restoration and the paint, including a new right rear quarterpanel, which he brazed on.
We painted it “Russet Metallic”, sort of a deep copper color.
With those factory rally wheels, I had one of the nicest cars around.
I worked on that car for a year before I ever drove it.
When you put that much work into a vehicle, it becomes your baby.
Now my home was a mile from The P-ville Summer Nationals, a street race held every Friday and Saturday night. You guys who have known me a while will probably remember from earlier threads.
The Old Man was sorta worried about me with that big hammer, and he warned me, “if I hear you’re out there drag racing that car, I’ve got a 307 that’ll replace that bigblock”!
Hell, everybody around there knew Dad, they all bought parts from our salvage.
Now I’m not saying I was an angel, I ran that Monte Carlo in quite a few races, but like I said, she was my baby. Dad never found out about it, and he finally sold that 307.
When I got outta the service, I got into dirt track stock car races, and finally sold that car.
Now ever time I see a first generation Monte Carlo at a car show, I feel like crying.
I’ve said before, I wouldn’t trade my life growing up for that of a prince.
I’m one lucky SOB!
7mm
Posted By: DaveR Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/08/22
Would love one of these...

Posted By: ldholton Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/08/22
Originally Posted by EdM
My daily driver.

can you educate us on this I honestly don't know what I'm looking at. it looks something like an old aircraft engine
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/08/22
Originally Posted by DaveR

>>>>>>>>>O M G <<<<<<<<<<<<<
Mexican speedboat?
Had this in mind.........

Iffin I won the powerball

[Linked Image from legacyclassictrucks.com]
Ya all 'member this one ?

MIL bought this off the floor in Provo Utah.....1975

Camper Special no less.......454

Clean one owner I sold it to 'Square State Trucks' in Cody WY 2 yrs ago

Iffin it would have been.......

short bed.....4x4.....manual.....1/2 ton...I'd still have it

Just sold my classic 2 days ago.

Well dammit after using her hard for almost 19 years, she’s a classic to me anyway! A 15 year old feller and his parents answered the ad first and just had to have her after lookin over Ol Jezebel. (2000 Dakota QC)

They’re gonna fix her all up as a dad and son project and send me pics when she’s done. That makes it a classic too. 😎

Doc_Holidude
Posted By: Tesoro Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/09/22

Easy. Move to Africa!
Posted By: DaveR Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/09/22
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Not a Dodge fan, but I can't think of a sexier beast of a classic truck. Just something about them.
Posted By: DMc Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/09/22
Make mine a stepside.

There's one around town, restored, an original crew-cab.
Front plate reads "Grandpa's Wagon"
Posted By: Teeder Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/09/22
Originally Posted by JGray
I've always been partial to the 67-72 GM's. I've posted my 72 K10 on here before...

My favorites, too.
Damn, that's nice!

Would like to get one like that one of these days.
Posted By: WillD Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/10/22
Here's mine - 1985 F-350 with a 6.9 IDI Diesel and a 4 speed.

Originally started life out as a 1985 F-250 with a 460 - engine failed so I converted it to a 6.9. No regrets!

[Linked Image from cimg4.ibsrv.net]
Posted By: pal Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/11/22
Good looking truck, Will.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/11/22
Sharp, very sharp!
Posted By: logger Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/11/22
This is our 1966 Ford F250 with the 352 V8. We bought it used in 1979 as our tow vehicle. Towed all over the NW including races on Vancouver Island and outside of Vancouver, BC (the Westwood race track). It was a great truck. We sold it in 2008.

Posted By: Higginez Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/11/22
Made a bunch of memories with this one.

Posted By: roundoak Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/11/22
That '47 is a beaut!
Mine was 58 Ford short bed, 292. Can' t remember if it was a 3 speed or 4, but it was on the floor. I had a stock rack on it and my horse would jump up in the bed,then we would go hunting.bI sold the truck to get a70 Dodge 3/4 T,383, (could have been a 318) 4 sp. The horse is buried on my place now.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/11/22
roundoak;
Good evening to you sir, I trust the week's been a good one for you all and you're well.

Thanks for the photo of the classic Toyota along with the same sort of aluminum canopy I had on our '80 for awhile.

When we were farming we sold it as it was in the way there, but when we moved back to BC we ended up putting another one on it, this time a fiberglass one.

Here it is in '91 on South Moresby Island, BC with my one and only Sitka Blacktail.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for your post again, all the best and good hunting.

Dwayne
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/11/22
My first vehicle purchase, with my own money, was a 1948 Willy's Jeep pickup truck,
with 4-Wheel Drive, 4-Speed Transmission, with High & Low Range, and converted to a
!952 Ford Flathead V-8 Engine. Everything was so low geared, top end was about 45 mph.

We got the Jeep running just before The Great North Dakota Blizzard Of 1966.

I later traded it for a 1964 BSA 650 Hornet Scrambler...
Posted By: LBP Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/11/22
Originally Posted by roundoak
Great truck!
Posted By: CCCC Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/14/22
Originally Posted by P_Weed
My first vehicle purchase, with my own money, was a 1948 Willy's Jeep pickup truck,
with 4-Wheel Drive, 4-Speed Transmission, with High & Low Range, and converted to a
!952 Ford Flathead V-8 Engine. Everything was so low geared, top end was about 45 mph.
You had a really good and tough pickup there - know that because a friend got one from surplus in about 1962 and we drove that thing all over AZ hunting - and in some formidable places. About the gearing, he didn't call it high/low ranges - he called it low and lower. We found a fairly small over/under unit, shortened the drive shaft and put that in with its own cross member - and could get about 60 mph (maybe 65) before things began screaming.
I bought this pickup from my mom after my dad passed. 1980 f100 shortbox with 300 six and 4 speed. Use it to haul firewood mostly. Good old 40 year plus rig.

Not a Dodge fan, but I can't think of a sexier beast of a classic truck. Just something about them.
+1
Posted By: DMc Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/14/22
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
Back story?
I traded an 83 Chevy diesel 3/4 ton back in 93 for a new 3/4 ton which I still drive with 350 k on it
Always missed that truck
So some years ago I started buying square bodies when they were cheap
I have an 89 k5 restored rust free from Washington
84 camper special k20. Nice rust free
84 k30 singl wheel was my oil field welding rig but it’s still pretty nice just built a 406 with dart heads for it. It will make a dandy farm truck
So I’m kinda partial to old trucks
Posted By: CCCC Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/15/22
Just returned from a brief trip celebrating wife's birthday - so, time to start/run some of the aging fleet. There is something intrinsically enjoyable - big fun - in feeling that old iron quickly jump to life, make its unique sounds, and say "let's go". ZAD is one of my engineering heroes.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/15/22
This 48 is in a shop.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: CCCC Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/16/22
Originally Posted by wabigoon
This 48 is in a shop.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That is cool. Original factory cab?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/16/22
No, Montgomery Ward. It had a brown canvas cab.
Posted By: drover Re: Classic pickup trucks.... - 11/16/22
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by P_Weed
You had a really good and tough pickup there - know that because a friend got one from surplus in about 1962 and we drove that thing all over AZ hunting - and in some formidable places. About the gearing, he didn't call it high/low ranges - he called it low and lower. We found a fairly small over/under unit, shortened the drive shaft and put that in with its own cross member - and could get about 60 mph (maybe 65) before things began screaming.

This reminds me of a 1958 Jeep station wagon that I built back in the late 60's. 283 Chev engine. At that time it was still possible to find adaptors to use a Studebaker overdrive unit which were ready available and cheap. I don't recall what top speed of it was with overdrive engaged but I don't think it was more than 70. And as you say things were really screaming at that speed.
The biggest problem I had with it was the T-90 three-speed just wasn't stout enough to hold up to the 283's power, I got pretty handy at dropping the transmission and replacing gears with broken teeth though.

drover
© 24hourcampfire